• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch porting dev thinks the system will still thrive after PS5 and Xbox Series X launches.

Fbh

Yeah I don't know why Ps5/Series X should affect it much. Despite a few ports it doesn't seem like playing current gen games has ever been the point or main appeal of the Switch.

It will continue to thrive based on Nintendo Software, third party exclusives (bayonetta, SMTV, etc), Ps4/3 era ports and indies which, believe it or not, aren't suddenly going to look like RDR2 just because there's new and more powerful consoles out there.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Look at the NPD.

90% of all software sold on switch is Nintendo software. Nintendo consoles live and die by Nintendo games. So going to PS5 probably doesn't mean much for the switch.

Sony sold 106 million PS4. There is a massive market that just wants a normal console. Not some weird "risk" console.

TBH that massive market is holding the gaming scene back IMO
It's pretty obivous the future of gaming is mostly all-portability or all-hybrid. I'm betting the PS5 will have a switch-like design too with an external GPU/CPU/ram in the dock....

Deanington

I do think a traditional console WOULD work better with the Nintendo of today because their brand is bigger than ever.

However the last time they tried this was with the Gamecube and that was a console with great first party games. Arguably even better than Switch still.

Oooo the dream to have a Nintendo console on par like the latest ( 2020 ) PS/Xbox. Nintendo exclusives, major third party support, indies, and definitive edition third party games like DQ 11 oof.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sure it will

Nintendo is in a league of their own. They aren’t competing in the same space as the big guys, they are content to do their own thing. First years for a new system are pretty sparse so there is a good chance for them to really shine w some mid late gen games and a Switch Plus would be like a booster shot.

mcjmetroid

Oooo the dream to have a Nintendo console on par like the latest ( 2020 ) PS/Xbox. Nintendo exclusives, major third party support, indies, and definitive edition third party games like DQ 11 oof.
I do like having the one Nintendo system for both purposes though.
Saying that if they released a console and fucked the handheld out the window and I didn't feel like I was missing any software thennnnn YA I'm game.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Does anyone think otherwise?

I don't, and think Switch has enough power to do most things it wants to do (though we've seen plenty of games that show its limits, and a Switch Pro would be really nice for those who are getting enough gameplay out of the machine but not happy with blurry graphics sometimes) ... but the counterpoint would be the Wii.

The original Wii was a phenomenally successful gaming system, but the software for it dried up too soon for a platform of such dominance. (Whether that was an overabundance of shovelware, or just a disinterest in core gamers with its visual performance, or even a sated satisfaction with the AAA Nintendo games which succeeded but left no room for the As and Bs from 3rd Parties, I"m not sure what the general analysis of the Wii's time is.) Big brands outside of Nintendo products just rarely translated to any success on Wii; most AAA 3rd Parties avoided the system for the higher-spec platforms, the few ports of big games that did come over were increasingly disappointing as conversions as the HD platforms gained steam and sped away, and the few attempts at bringing over blockbuster brands in Wii-formated style like NFS Nitro and RE: Umbrella Chronicles didn't generate anywhere near the same heat. For a lot of people, Wii just became their "Smash Bros Machine", or it was their party device that they'd dust off for Wii Sports and Guitar Hero, or it became the way your grandmas got their Netflix. Everybody had one, but it was nobody's go-to gaming system except for Nintendo's top games. A system that has units moving consistently but then can't move software besides the annual Mario game, I'm not sure I'd consider it "still thriving."

...I don't personally see Switch following suit, as it's in a different situation thanks to its blessed portability, but DS had a similar hot-then-cold run (once it recovered from a weak launch and became one of the best-selling gaming platforms of all time) of the market. The success of the Switch by no means promises a smooth road ahead; Nintendo and its partnered developers are going to have to fight hard to keep this system going strong.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Switch is fine. It's a unique piece of entertainment tech which will move forward. It may not be the best for home use, but it can do the job with the added mobility which both the big guys lack.

So Switch Pro will be roughly the same power as PS4 Pro or X at 4-6 TF?

Or is even that too much to ask?
Too much to ask, my friend.
It will play it's 'Nintendo' games at 1080p 60 and it'll play 3rd party at 1080p 30 or 900p unlocked.
It will even be able to play games at 4k, but they will be indy 'retro' titles etc.
It won't be playing BotW at 4K.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
It outsold the other two manufacturers on Black Friday, without a price drop. I think it'll be fine for a while.

Cutty Flam

Banned
The Nintendo Switch is an amazing console. Best one since the N64 and Nintendo Gamecube imo which is saying a lot

N64 will always be king imo, some timeless classics on that beauty

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I felt this was fairly obvious to even the casual observer. Nintendo's hardware generally caters to a completely different market to Microsoft's and Sony's, though of course there's occasional crossover.

Sometimes it works out for them. (Wii, Switch) Sometimes it doesn't. (Gamecube, Wii U)

Top Bottom