• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch porting dev thinks the system will still thrive after PS5 and Xbox Series X launches.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with Nintendo Everything, Engine Software VP of development Ruud van de Moosdijk said Switch “exists in its own dimension of the market and will continue to do well”. The console’s “uniqueness” also means that power isn’t overly crucial.

“In my opinion the Nintendo Switch, like the Wii before, exists in its own dimension of the market and will continue to do well even when the PS5 and the Xbox Series X are released. As so many times before Nintendo’s consoles have just their own uniqueness that doesn’t depend on having the fastest processor or the largest memory. That’s why I always have to smile when I hear someone say Nintendo is done.”

Engine Software has ported several games to Switch, including Ni no Kuni and Into the Breach. Ruud van de Moosdijk had praise for Nintendo as the company did “a fantastic job” in terms of offering the proper tools and development environment “even before the system was available.” “We have come a long way from the time where you got a circuit board with a cable and a manual in Japanese if you wanted to develop for console,” he said.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Of course it will :) well, if it can get out of the drought its currently in. The Switch was never about power or graphics, that isn't what people buy it for. People bought it because its Nintendos new portable system, and it's also a home console. People love that it's a "2 in 1" system. Plus the games too obviously.

DESTROYA

It’ll be fine and if the rumor of a Switch Pro comes out before SONY’s and MS’s next gen consoles should only help boost its popularity.

Jubenhimer

Of course it will :) well, if it can get out of the drought its currently in.
What Drought? Lol.

OT: The Switch will be fine. With 50 million consoles out in the wild, and strong software sales. Developers aren't going to go "Welp, next gen consoles are here, I guess that means we can't do games for the Switch anymore, Womp Womp!" No, they'll find other things to make for it. Just because it won't get the latest Assasin's Creed games, doesn't mean there won't be games designed with the Switch in mind.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Amazing insight, like we haven't seen it with previous Nintendo systems to deduce it, lol. They tend to get sunk by their successors (or their own failings like Wii U), not competitors. They'll probably have to do a new (not just Pro/New, after that) system mid-gen though, I'm sure the consoles will last longer (they also launch later).

Last edited:

Meesh

Also... Switch Pro is around the corner. Its probably only a modest bump but for hardware enthusiasts it's good news, and I can't wait. I'm sure itll help keep gamers interest.

Winter John

No doubt. The last Nintendo system I had was a Gameboy. I thought about buying The Switch but after trying it out it was too small and uncomfortable to hold. If they make a bigger one I might get it. I actually wish Sony and MS took the risks Nintendo did and tried to make their consoles unique instead of making half assed, budget range pcs.

Codes 208

The switch is still in it’s adolescent years, it likely still has another three years at least and im confident it’ll do well for that.

the wii u being the last system was practically doa before the ps4 and xbo wven launched.

EDMIX

The switch is still in it’s adolescent years, it likely still has another three years at least and im confident it’ll do well for that.

the wii u being the last system was practically doa before the ps4 and xbo wven launched.

Agreed, keep in mind their handheld market has always been stronger then their console market.

I think it was a solid move to just go portable only and offer a HDMI out.

Codes 208

I think it was a solid move to just go portable only and offer a HDMI out.
I consider it the combining of both of their audiences. The switch is naturally the successor of the wii u as a console and everything it should've been.

saying its a portable only with a hdmi out is a bit disingenuous considering being docked does more than just output the video (higher resolution, generally better performance, some better textures/draw distance)as the system was design to fit both niches.

Gargus

Banned
I dont know why this keeps being brought up. I haven't seen one single person ever say the switch is going to die off or be killed by ps5 or that other waste of space console coming soon. But I've seen everyone lining up to say it isn't going anywhere as if they are insecure for some reason.

EDMIX

I consider it the combining of both of their audiences. The switch is naturally the successor of the wii u as a console and everything it should've been.

saying its a portable only with a hdmi out is a bit disingenuous considering being docked does more than just output the video (higher resolution, generally better performance, some better textures/draw distance)as the system was design to fit both niches.

It might be combining install bases, but it doesn't change that this is a portable with a HDMI out...

That is factually what this device actually is. So when I plug my laptop or phone into a charger, yes...I get more power that is otherwise reserved for the sake of battery life, but that doesn't actually mean the device I'm using isn't a portable. Fact remains, this is a portable device and must be that before its anything else btw.

Nothing is even wrong with that, having an HDMI out allows those that like playing on the tv the ability to do so. No different then a laptop, PSP 2000 series, Sega Nomad, phone, tablet etc Do they attract different install bases? Sure.....doesn't actually change they are portable devices with an HDMI out option.

That is imho the best Nintendo could have done as I don't think that install base is sooooooo important considering Wii U, it tells me MOST Nintendo gamers don't want to play that way as even the games that sold well on the Switch, where just Wii U ports, which tells me its more then just the game itself, portable is just the dominate install base for Nintendo fans. As to why the Switch Lite even exist in the first place. So their intent is to have both install bases, but their hardware must be portable as that is the majority base, how it outputs thru HDMI is simply optional, not mandatory.

G Gargus Agreed. They are not even the same markets..

Last edited:

Codes 208

It might be combining install bases, but it doesn't change that this is a portable with a HDMI out...

That is factually what this device actually is. So when I plug my laptop or phone into a charger, yes...I get more power that is otherwise reserved for the sake of battery life, but that doesn't actually mean the device I'm using isn't a portable. Fact remains, this is a portable device and must be that before its anything else btw.

Nothing is even wrong with that, having an HDMI out allows those that like playing on the tv the ability to do so. No different then a laptop, PSP 2000 series, Sega Nomad, phone, tablet etc Do they attract different install bases? Sure.....doesn't actually change they are portable devices with an HDMI out option.

That is imho the best Nintendo could have done as I don't think that install base is sooooooo important considering Wii U, it tells me MOST Nintendo gamers don't want to play that way as even the games that sold well on the Switch, where just Wii U ports, which tells me its more then just the game itself, portable is just the dominate install base for Nintendo fans. As to why the Switch Lite even exist in the first place. So their intent is to have both install bases, but their hardware must be portable as that is the majority base, how it outputs thru HDMI is simply optional, not mandatory.

G Gargus Agreed. They are not even the same markets..
I would actually claim the fault of the wii u wasnt so much that nintendo gamers didnt want to play that way, but rather a vast collection of various issues. The wii was a dominating system just prior and going into the wii u they already fucked up With the name and a confusing marketing tactic that causing mass confusion. On top of that with next gen looming around the corner, the wii u was extremely pricey for what seemed like a mid-gap console in terms of raw power and a gimmick that met with mixed opinions.

people do want to play the switch as a console. ive seen a lot more of the regular models sold over the lites due to this despite the lites actually filling the niche of being a handheld only at a cheaper price.
The wii u was just a half-baked way of going around it.

that said i still agree that the switch is in the perfect place to continue. While i would love to see a console-focused pro model released in the near future, im perfectly content with what i currently have.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
It's pretty clear Switch is in a different category at this point. I think if it wasn't portable you'd have another Wii U disaster. Switch is basically the modern day 3DS replacement that can also play *some* current gen games. It's perfect for small indie games that you can play in small chunks. It's great for family games and kids given the accessibility of a lot of its games. And Nintendo has that magic that no other game company can touch in terms of making simplicity fun.

What I would like to see from Nintendo is:
- a few more titles aimed at a more mature audience.
- more titles making use of the joycon motion/gyro controls
- less emphasis on "Deluxe" or "Definitive" versions of Wii U ports and actually bringing new innovative IPs forward
- more couch co-op stuff (Luigi's Mansion 3 was well done, for example)

EDMIX

I would actually claim the fault of the wii u wasnt so much that nintendo gamers didnt want to play that way, but rather a vast collection of various issues.

I greatly disagree. XB went with a name like 360 and moved monster units.

DS completely removed the name "gameboy" and went on to move monster units.
3 DS kept part of the name and MOVE MONSTER UNITS!

Stop arguing that a name is why that system failed, names of a system can change, but that isn't ultimately WHY someone buys a system.

the wii u was extremely pricey for what seemed like a mid-gap console in terms of raw power and a gimmick that met with mixed opinions.

That doesn't really explain why they games sold well on Wii U and then went on to sell well on Switch. It went to show that the games where not the issue. You could call many systems they make "gimmicks" so I don't buy that Wii sold from gimmicks, oh but hey Wii U failed cause that too.... Sounds to me like an excuse that makes little sense.

I think Wii U failed because from N64 to Gamecube, the install base of actual core Nintendo fans moved on to portable and Wii's numbers DO NOT REFLECT THE MOVE THAT ALREADY HAPPENED! Thus, when that fad was done, you simply saw the true install base of core Nintendo gamers. So, one could argue that Gamecube had 18 million or so of the core the likes console, like their N64 buddies, they moved on to portable after that generation, so lets say LESS Gamecube owners buy Wii, we could argue 14 million or so bought a Wii that are REAL CORE CONSOLE Nintendo gamers, the other 87 million or so are simply fad, non-gamers, bandwaganers, grandma etc.

Once the fad was done, you are left with the true hardcore.

Thus, Wii to Wii U might have the exact same amount of REAL hardcore console fans of Nintendo, it might have easy been really 14 to 15 million. So I don't think you could really do something soooooo wrong that has you loose 87 million gamers, I think those 87 million were never even really core gamers in the first place. The only solid, healthy, consistent base with no BS fad fudd numbers is actually their portables.

So if you bought DS for a fad, sure....some of those that don't return to 3DS might not really be the core, but those that do can be seen as that, it means that 75 million or so install base likely is a true representation of their hardcore vs fudd numbers of the Wii.

people do want to play the switch as a console.

I'm sure they do, not disagreeing with that. Simply that numbers don't lie regarding their favored install base. Its simply logic bud.

This tells us, when the dust settles from the fad of Wii and DS, you are left with majority hardcore.

While i would to see a console-focused pro model released in the near future

I think they are best to focus on portable. I see little reason to even waste the funds on a concept that even their own install base is very much letting them know is optional vs mandatory based on the sales of their past hardware.

ive seen a lot more of the regular models sold over the lites

yea I 100% doubt that, like 10000% doubt that....

From what I know of Nintendo gamers based on the numbers alone, portable is the favored model. From what I'm seeing, its selling FASTER then the original Switch, but if we just look at Wii U vs 3DS...that shouldn't be a shock or a debate. That is factually the larger base. So I might LIKE playing on TV MORE, that doesn't mean I'm ignoring the damn facts that majority of Nintendo gamers disagree.

H Hotspurr Agreed. I think what they did with Switch is legit, the best path they could have gone down. They keep the console gamers with a HDMI out, get all the portable players by not having a split install base with anyone missing games. This is the best fit and I don't think they should return to console. They don't even create the type of games that need huge horse power to even waste the energy going back to. So hardly anyone is losing sleep from them no longer doing that tbh.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

It will be just like the good old days when Metal Gear Solid came out on Gameboy Color. I mean if PS5/XSX games do get ported to the switch, I imagine the graphics would have to be downgraded about as drastically as in that situation.

Mikey Jr.

Look at the NPD.

90% of all software sold on switch is Nintendo software. Nintendo consoles live and die by Nintendo games. So going to PS5 probably doesn't mean much for the switch.

No doubt. The last Nintendo system I had was a Gameboy. I thought about buying The Switch but after trying it out it was too small and uncomfortable to hold. If they make a bigger one I might get it. I actually wish Sony and MS took the risks Nintendo did and tried to make their consoles unique instead of making half assed, budget range pcs.

Sony sold 106 million PS4. There is a massive market that just wants a normal console. Not some weird "risk" console.

Last edited:
Anyone thinking that the "Switch Pro" is coming out at a level towards near or above PS4 level are only deluding themselves to disappointment. Much like people who follow Super Metal Dave 64.

Codes 208

I greatly disagree. XB went with a name like 360 and moved monster units.

DS completely removed the name "gameboy" and went on to move monster units.
3 DS kept part of the name and MOVE MONSTER UNITS!

Stop arguing that a name is why that system failed, names of a system can change, but that isn't ultimately WHY someone buys a system.

That doesn't really explain why they games sold well on Wii U and then went on to sell well on Switch. It went to show that the games where not the issue. You could call many systems they make "gimmicks" so I don't buy that Wii sold from gimmicks, oh but hey Wii U failed cause that too.... Sounds to me like an excuse that makes little sense.

I think Wii U failed because from N64 to Gamecube, the install base of actual core Nintendo fans moved on to portable and Wii's numbers DO NOT REFLECT THE MOVE THAT ALREADY HAPPENED! Thus, when that fad was done, you simply saw the true install base of core Nintendo gamers. So, one could argue that Gamecube had 18 million or so of the core the likes console, like their N64 buddies, they moved on to portable after that generation, so lets say LESS Gamecube owners buy Wii, we could argue 14 million or so bought a Wii that are REAL CORE CONSOLE Nintendo gamers, the other 87 million or so are simply fad, non-gamers, bandwaganers, grandma etc.

Once the fad was done, you are left with the true hardcore.

Thus, Wii to Wii U might have the exact same amount of REAL hardcore console fans of Nintendo, it might have easy been really 14 to 15 million. So I don't think you could really do something soooooo wrong that has you loose 87 million gamers, I think those 87 million were never even really core gamers in the first place. The only solid, healthy, consistent base with no BS fad fudd numbers is actually their portables.

So if you bought DS for a fad, sure....some of those that don't return to 3DS might not really be the core, but those that do can be seen as that, it means that 75 million or so install base likely is a true representation of their hardcore vs fudd numbers of the Wii.

I'm sure they do, not disagreeing with that. Simply that numbers don't lie regarding their favored install base. Its simply logic bud.

This tells us, when the dust settles from the fad of Wii and DS, you are left with majority hardcore.

I think they are best to focus on portable. I see little reason to even waste the funds on a concept that even their own install base is very much letting them know is optional vs mandatory based on the sales of their past hardware.

yea I 100% doubt that, like 10000% doubt that....

From what I know of Nintendo gamers based on the numbers alone, portable is the favored model. From what I'm seeing, its selling FASTER then the original Switch, but if we just look at Wii U vs 3DS...that shouldn't be a shock or a debate. That is factually the larger base. So I might LIKE playing on TV MORE, that doesn't mean I'm ignoring the damn facts that majority of Nintendo gamers disagree.

H Hotspurr Agreed. I think what they did with Switch is legit, the best path they could have gone down. They keep the console gamers with a HDMI out, get all the portable players by not having a split install base with anyone missing games. This is the best fit and I don't think they should return to console. They don't even create the type of games that need huge horse power to even waste the energy going back to. So hardly anyone is losing sleep from them no longer doing that tbh.
While 1.9mil in two weeks is certainly impressive, how does that compare to the regular switch? And what are the sales for the holidays? My opinion is based on my experience in retail, we had a mountain of switch and switch lites come in around black friday and by the end of christmas, we had trouble restocking the regular models while we still had plenty leftover from the switch lite.

but i digress, im certainly not trying to argue the semantics of what i consider to be a tomayto x tamahto kind of argument.To which i see your point as it being a handheld.

as for expenses, if a pro does exist, i dont think its so much that it’d be for the casual consumers at large as a replacement to the basic switch but rather as an alternative to help keep the hardcore fans from migrating to other platforms in the same vein as what the ps4 pro and xb1x exist for (which if i recall, sony created the ps4 pro to keep its fans from migrating to pc once the ps4 was seen as being outdated, and the x exists to fix the shit launch the one had with its excessive price for inferior hardware followed by years of subpar ports.)

Last edited:

Codes 208

AFAIK Nvidia don't have mobile GPU with that level of power, or anything much better than X1 really.
If they go into the direction of it being a home system (ala how the switch lite is a handheld only) the type of gpu may not be an issue.

EDMIX

Look at the NPD.

90% of all software sold on switch is Nintendo software. Nintendo consoles live and die by Nintendo games. So going to PS5 probably doesn't mean much for the switch.

Sony sold 106 million PS4. There is a massive market that just wants a normal console. Not some weird "risk" console.

10000% This.

I think Nintendo even only released a portable with a HDMI to get back to normal in the first place. I think Switch is a good base going forward and I think Switch 2 should just be a more powerful version and some new features yes, but the base concept should be a portable with HDMI option going forward.

MS and Sony do as well as they do because they have a expectation of keeping up with what 3rd parties want to keep their install base, how on earth can someone like Assassin Creed or even Resident Evil on Nintendo and be like "I love AC so much, I can't wait to miss Unity, Origins and Odyssey and only have it streamed, damn I can't wait to play only RE4 and wait 10 years to play RE5 and 6, stream 7 and then miss RE2 and RE3 remake" ....who are earth are theses "fans"? lol

So them keeping up with hardware is what keeps developers coming and solid and maintaining their install base. If you love Call Of Duty or Assassins Creed or Resident Evil or Madden or Battlefield what have you, the systems that have been able to always keep up with that, also clearly happen to have the majority of those fans. So gamers want their developers focused on CREATING GAMES and their hardware manufacturers only focused on making that feasible, not this up and down "risk" crap that had Nintendo basically lose that entire hardcore install base. They USED to have that base before and tried to keep it with N64, maintained well with Gamecube and completely lost it with Wii, Wii U and Switch.

Codes 208 Codes 208 "While 1.9mil in two weeks is certainly impressive, how does that compare to the regular switch?" Switch moved over 2 million in its first month, Switch lite moved near 2 million in 2 weeks. edit. MY GOD, it wasn't even a full 2 weeks, it was 10 DAYS!

That alone should tell you most favor portable.

Wii U vs 3DS should show you most favor portable. So Wii U failing didn't mean those gamers stopped caring about Nintendo, it simply means they care about those games else where...

What you see at retail is irrelevant. Thats like me telling you I see MORE people buy XONE or something. What you or I see is irrelevant, just keep it about the factual data. Keep in mind, I like console more and playing on my TV more, heck when I buy a Switch, I don't have much plans to really play it anywhere else other then home, but that has nothing to do with 75 million bought a portable and 14 million bought the console. Math alone tells me the majority must will be portable gamers and I have nothing against that. That is only logical if you look at their handheld install base, heck that is only logical if you saw how well Pokemon Go did! Its not shocking that their majority is portable.

Last edited:

lyan

theoretically they could still make one that do all these enhancements to the hdmi out when the system is charging.

Codes 208

keep in mind, I think that is what they should do with Switch 2 if its cheap enough to do.
I’d be ok with that if they find a way to vent the heat properly. I was using a third party dock for awhile with an open front and taking it off sometimes still felt excessively warm at first, the fans running full-blast in the hands would qet very uncomfortable very quickly as-is if they dont take that into account.

nordique

Switch is my most played console

I’ll likely Get the ps5 and series x but the switch is still the console I’ll play the most

just can’t beat it from a practical perspective

my time playing on commutes or in bed >>> sitting in front of couch

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds about right.

Nintendo systems are basically first party games + last gen ports from competing systems + indies.

Witcher 3 comes out for Switch........... gimped and 4 years later.

Last edited:

lestar

AFAIK Nvidia don't have mobile GPU with that level of power, or anything much better than X1 really.

you tell it, as far you know, is ilogical to think nvidia had not been working in a new gaming mobile chip from 2015. nintendo has a long deal with nvidia, they cannot just milk the same chip forever with just a node reduction. So thinking a next gaming tegra with newer arc having near base ps4 power is not that cracy

I wonder if we’ll ever see an Assassin’s Creed Rogue situation with the Switch. Does Ubisoft ever make a version of a major game for the Switch? Would Bethesda ever make a Fallout 3-esque game for the Switch, while Starfield is their current-gen project? Hardware specs aside, I’m confident the major 3rd parties could make competent, good-looking games unique to the Switch. I don’t know what the install numbers have to be, but I’m surprised there’s no big publishers trying to make less expensive Switch-oriented, AAA or AA games.

It's literally THE MOST successful games console of all time with no games, and I totally commend Nintendo for their feat.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

It's literally THE MOST successful games console of all time with no games, and I totally commend Nintendo for their feat.
zzzzz

Nintendo need a traditional console, or at the very least a TV only version of this.
This won't happen. Their strength is in the handheld business.

If they end up with a new console only device then you can be dam sure there's gonna be some gimmick attached to it.
They'll never do a traditional gaming console again.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Look at the NPD.

This is true it will live and die on Nintendo's support. If Nintendo keep having years like last year then there's no worry but if they have a fairly barren year like 2018 then they're in trouble. I predict this year will worse than 2019 but better than 2018.

The Wii would have lasted a lot longer had Nintendo supported it better in it's twilight years.

Having said that to get a console off the ground you need more than Nintendo fans to buy it so it has to have mainstream appeal. The WiiU was a testiment for that. I'm a Nintendo fan but the WiiU was a disaster for a console idea and I saw the writing on the wall, much like Stadia now.

MilkyJoe

zzzzz

This won't happen. Their strength is in the handheld business.

If they end up with a new console only device then you can be dam sure there's gonna be some gimmick attached to it.
They'll never do a traditional gaming console again.

And they lose a job lot of potential customers 🤷‍♂️

mcjmetroid

And they lose a job lot of potential customers 🤷‍♂️
Theyd be in a minority though.
I do think a traditional console WOULD work better with the Nintendo of today because their brand is bigger than ever.

However the last time they tried this was with the Gamecube and that was a console with great first party games. Arguably even better than Switch still.

mejin

5 or 6 years is the life cycle of nintendo hardwares at max.

2020 will probably be switch peak year, maybe 2019 was the year.

Anyway, I just can't see switch doing awesome numbers in 2022. So, that's the reasony of my post, 1 or 2 years at best.

MilkyJoe

Theyd be in a minority though.
I do think a traditional console WOULD work better with the Nintendo of today because their brand is bigger than ever.

However the last time they tried this was with the Gamecube and that was a console with great first party games. Arguably even better than Switch still.

It's a real shame, but i'm not paying the price of portability when id never use iut

royox

They still have a whole generation worth of ps4xbone games that they can port at sub-720p/15fps for full price because "muh portability". I wouldn't be worried.

Zannegan

Nintendo need a traditional console, or at the very least a TV only version of this.
If Nintendo were a sane company, they would stick to the very successful hybrid approach until the market decided to move on, all the while investing a small fraction of the mad money they'd be raking in into a cloud consortium, just in case. At that point, your only real shot at a console-only Switch would be a "super dock" with its own hardware.

Nintendo being Nintendo, however, I'd say you have a better than even chance. Get your wallet ready for the Wii Swith U2DS.

Top Bottom