• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is the GameCube done right

cireza

I personally find that the Switch is the Wii U gone wrong lol. Not a good handheld, not a good home console, and said fuck to a lot of great features.

Last edited:
The Gamecube was the Gamecube done right.

I've always thought the Gamecube was by far Nintendo's most underrated console, it was a solid little device with third party support the big N would kill for today.

It just didn't get the respect it deserved because that was the Grand Theft Auto III era when gaming "grew up" and it just wasn't seen as "cool" enough.

xviper

And Switch has Splatoon 2, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Labo, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces. and Pokemon Let's Go!

They're about even at this point in time.

That explains a lot.
i was listing good games, you listed all the games, and they all sucks in comparison

NOT AT ALL. Gamecube, as home console, is so much better than Switch

- TOP POWER

- TOP third party exclusive games

Switch is the perfection of the new strategy Nintendo adopted after Gamecube, the natural evolution from Wii. Gamecube is quite the opposite, both in hardware and game profiles.

The huge mistake made by Nintendo with gamecube was to design a hardcore console with a cute design (console and mini disks) that put off many potential buyers.

octiny

Banned
Gamecube had a great library of exclusives, including RE. Not to mention it was on par in terms of power relative to the other consoles.

Ah, lots of good memories. Haven't bought anything Nintendo since.

The huge mistake made by Nintendo with gamecube was to design a hardcore console with a cute design (console and mini disks) that put off many potential buyers.

Yes, the design alone probably hurt the console a lot.

However I think they did a good job making it look kid friendly but not TOO childish, it still looked pretty sleek, sadly that's not what most people thought though.

Gamecube had a great library of exclusives, including RE. Not to mention it was on par in terms of power relative to the other consoles.

Ah, lots of good memories. Haven't bought anything Nintendo since.

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, though not quite as powerful as the Xbox.

But still, can you even imagine the idea of Nintendo having a more powerful console than Sony? It's hard to even believe there was a time when that was true.

Boss Mog

No the Gamecube actually had great 3rd party support because it was in the same class of console as the PS2 and XBOX. 3rd party support on Switch, while much better than Wii and Wii U, is still far from Gamecube level.

PocoJoe

Banned
And Switch has Splatoon 2, Octopath Traveler, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, ARMS, Labo, Mario + Rabbids, Super Mario Party, Mario Tennis Aces. and Pokemon Let's Go!

They're about even at this point in time.
That explains a lot.

splatoon = boring CoD clone ( cod is boring too)
Octopath = good game
xenoblade = good game
ARMS = super boring beat em up
mario+rabbids = good but way too easy game
mario party = probably ok, havent played
mario tennis = same game with different graphics

While gamecube had tons of different kind of games from 3rd party devs, switch mainly has nintendo exclusives and some low budget low quality indies or half assed 3rd party games than run way worse than on ps4/xbone.

for cube I have 70 games, for switch I have kept zelda(port), xenoblade and mario+rabbids. Rest have been disapointing, octopath i borrowed and liked.

Problem with switch is that there are only few big titles, and they are almost all typical modern nintendo games, no variety. Cube had many horror and rpg games, switch only few after 2 years.

octiny

Banned
Yes, the design alone probably hurt the console a lot.

However I think they did a good job making it look kid friendly but not TOO childish, it still looked pretty sleek, sadly that's not what most people thought though.

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2, though not quite as powerful as the Xbox.

But still, can you even imagine the idea of Nintendo having a more powerful console than Sony? It's hard to even believe there was a time when that was true.

Oh, I know. I just didn't want to start any wars on here lol. Still remember when they unveiled that Rogue Squadron tech demo @ Spaceworld. So good.

Day 1 purchase if they ever release another on par with their counterparts.

The gc had different sounds when you hold z during the boot screen and further different sounds with multiple people. No competition.

Antoon

Banned
Gamecube is the best console from 00's. It had few, but superior titles that were unbeatable in quality. Metroid Prime, Melee, Pikmin 2, Power Tennis and of course the Wipeout killer, F-Zero GX.

Ramzy

Some of the comparisons you find on GAF are so weird.

The Game Cube was a product of its era.

- It's completely unique from other gaming platforms
Well yeah, look at the technology at the time. What did you want Nintendo to do in 2001? Release a tegra based console with detachable bluetooth controllers? 3D gameboy? Did you want another virtualboy?

- It's toy-like, but in a good way
Edgy was the 'thing' in 2001. Sony and Microsoft were all over it. In fact, i would say the Game Cube, was trying to differentiate itself from the competition. The Switch is a product of its time as well. It's a plastic slab with bright fluro controllers attached to it. Just the same as every single new mobile phone coming out is basically a rectangle slab.

- Better innovation with first party games
Again, 2001, what are you expecting here? Wind Waker took the series to new and interesting places and did genuinely evolve the experience. Wind Waker is still a beautiful game and garners generally positive reception even today.

- It gets the Console-handheld merger right
Starting to sound like a broken record here but TWO THOUSAND AND ONE, the GBA was basically the most advanced handheld outside of mobile phones with monochrome displays or basic java games running at 3fps.

- It targets adults, but doesn't pander to them
I don't think the Switch targets adults. The adults that the Switch appeals to are simply the generation who grew up playing Nintendo games and now have their own money to spend.

Last edited:

HiSpi

Neo Member
Disagree
The Switch is part of the Wii family. The Joy Con is an evolution of Wiimote. The Switch's handheld configuration is basically the Wii U GamePad with detachable controllers. The Switch builds on the ideas introduced by the Wii consoles. The GC was a “traditional” home console with a single standard controller.

I'm not a big Nintendo fan, but the GC is in my view Nintendo's best home console – because it is the most PlayStation-like Nintendo home console. From the hardware design and visual identity (logo / adverts etc) to the non-Nintendo library – it all felt very Sony.
The distinctive cube chassis could have easily come from Sony. When I first saw a jet black GC in real life, I couldn't believe it came from the same company that came up with the hideous N64. It really felt as if Nintendo had finally matured during the GC era. I am reminded of the infamous GBA SP advert from that generation:

4gqhFx0.jpg

You'd expect something like that from Sony's marketing dept, but Nintendo?
For me, GC era Nintendo was Nintendo at its most exciting.

All these changes came shortly after Satoru Iwata take command of Nintendo

Breakage

All these changes came shortly after Satoru Iwata take command of Nintendo
Yeah, it would have been interesting to see Nintendo explore that direction [attempting to court PS and Xbox gamers] instead of going down the family-friendly Wii path.

Jubenhimer

While gamecube had tons of different kind of games from 3rd party devs, switch mainly has nintendo exclusives and some low budget low quality indies or half assed 3rd party games than run way worse than on ps4/xbone.

The GameCube didn't have that great of third party support, especially not compared to the PS2. The Switch already has decent support, and is continuing to get more and more. That's the key difference. Also, the ports on Switch usually aren't half-assed. Many of them run about as well as you can run them on Switch, and still manage to be good versions in their own right. Plus, you can take these games with you. That's kind of what some people forget about Switch ports. You sacrifice performance for mobility.

Problem with switch is that there are only few big titles, and they are almost all typical modern nintendo games, no variety. Cube had many horror and rpg games, switch only few after 2 years.

Switch already has a ton of platformers, fighting games, racers, RPGs, puzzle games, and sports titles all in just 2 years. Games are more ubiquitous now thanks to digital titles and indie developers, so the Switch has a big advantage over the GCN.

JimmyJones

Banned
Nintendo started doing weird experimental shit after the Gamecube and they are still doing it with the Switch. They need to release a normal games console and cut the crap.

Jubenhimer

Nintendo started doing weird experimental shit after the Gamecube and they are still doing it with the Switch. They need to release a normal games console and cut the crap.

Why do that, when the console they have now is breaking all kinds of sales records both in Hardware and Software?

ItsDJ

Neo Member
Same here, when I am out I am usually not in a position to play games. I did upgrade my Wii U Gamepad battery and now it gets closer to 8 hours but that isn't an option on the Switch.

Well hopefully the new Switch that's supposed to be released this year fixes that issue.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
splatoon = boring CoD clone ( cod is boring too)
ARMS = super boring beat em up
No offense but I don't think you've played these two.
13646.jpg

images

arms-switch-1.jpg

1099582023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a weird comparison, honestly.

I don't see how it's "like the GameCube", other than the fact that it's a games consoles.

The Switch is just a good machine with good games and a unique selling point in it's portability. Nothing more, nothing else.

If anything, it's the Wii U done right.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Please don't remind me of how well this trash is performing.
Trash?

A console you can play on the tv and take on the go. It has 1800+ games. It’s fucking rad. What the hell is wrong with you?

This is why we can’t have nice things.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Please don't remind me of how well this trash is performing.

What I don't get is that you own one, hate it, and yet in the Direct thread the only thing you asked for was ports. Is the device trash because there's not enough ports...?

HotPocket69

Banned
Ports would be better than the shit they've been churning out recently. That one Kamiya game did look good though.

Even the ports are trash

Doom :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Arguably, the best game (and only reason to own the system) is because of a port which is Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Breath of the Wild is crap. I played to the second Divine Beast and dropped it because I couldn't take the pain any longer.

Also, it's a Wii U game that had it's second screen feature stripped so that the Wii U version wouldn't be superior to the Switch version. This open world trend was old years ago.

Top Bottom