• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch hits 107.6m as Nintendo claims its ‘highest annual software sales ever’ (VGC)

I saw the lines first hand. Artificial scarcity and planting stories in the media can only do so much (PS5). Nintendo had to shift the zeitgeist to net that kind of reaction. That’s why when people say these current consoles are selling out and hard to get I just laugh.

Last edited:
So this was in May for a time before this thread, so given that now sales are 111 million than that means the witch only sold 4 million or less in 3 months? The sales slowdown Nintendo mentioned is indeed real.

Well there is no competition in handheld space , the hybrid system may have saved Nintendo, don’t think they could have survived another failure like the wii u, it will very interesting to see what happens to the next system. Exciting times ahead.

FStubbs

Well there is no competition in handheld space , the hybrid system may have saved Nintendo, don’t think they could have survived another failure like the wii u, it will very interesting to see what happens to the next system. Exciting times ahead.
It's actually amazing they survived the Wii U. Given population growth and expanded markets, it was arguably comparable to the likes of Atari 7800, that's how bad it did.

Tams

Gold Member
It's actually amazing they survived the Wii U. Given population growth and expanded markets, it was arguably comparable to the likes of Atari 7800, that's how bad it did.

What a silly comment. They were (still are) sitting on billions of dollars (well, it's likely in Japanese Yen, but I digress). A lot of it liquid or even cash as well. And the 3DS still did well.

If the Wii U had come out after the GameCube, then I could have seen them in some trouble, but it didn't.

Now they don't have another platform to fall back on, but they have yet another success that may even surpass the Wii and looks a lot more secure than it. And their assets have grown.

ClosBSAS

Lmao instill go back to the switch is dead on arrival thread here on GAF...that shit is hilarious. Good numbers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
And people ask why they don't drop prices or even (lol) make a new console.
We get price drops fairly often in the UK but when they have a £199 SKU they really don’t need an official drop.

I personally wish Sony had made a 5-6tf PS5 for £300 or so.

FStubbs

What a silly comment. They were (still are) sitting on billions of dollars (well, it's likely in Japanese Yen, but I digress). A lot of it liquid or even cash as well. And the 3DS still did well.

If the Wii U had come out after the GameCube, then I could have seen them in some trouble, but it didn't.

Now they don't have another platform to fall back on, but they have yet another success that may even surpass the Wii and looks a lot more secure than it. And their assets have grown.
IIRC at one point Sony wiped out their PS1-2 profits during the PS3 era while they had the PSP - which sold comparably to the 3DS. And the PS3 was far more successful than the Wii U.

So no, it was a pretty amazing feat they were able to ride out such a failure.

Tams

Gold Member
IIRC at one point Sony wiped out their PS1-2 profits during the PS3 era while they had the PSP - which sold comparably to the 3DS. And the PS3 was far more successful than the Wii U.

So no, it was a pretty amazing feat they were able to ride out such a failure.
Sony are a different company, so that may not be analogous. As you have claimed it is, the onus on you to provide evidence that it is, which you haven't.

As a kindness, I'll provide some evidence against your argument:

PSP attach rate: 3.88
3DS attach rate: 5.03
Wii U attach rate: 7.52

The Vita had an attach rate of 10, which is high. That's because it was a successful console, but Sony just weren't in it anymore. The fanbase continued to buy the meagre offering of games though.

FStubbs

Sony are a different company, so that may not be analogous. As you have claimed it is, the onus on you to provide evidence that it is, which you haven't.

As a kindness, I'll provide some evidence against your argument:

PSP attach rate: 3.88
3DS attach rate: 5.03
Wii U attach rate: 7.52

The Vita had an attach rate of 10, which is high. That's because it was a successful console, but Sony just weren't in it anymore. The fanbase continued to buy the meagre offering of games though.
Fair enough, I concede the argument, but I do not believe my post was "silly", as you called it. I feel my observation was reasonable. I'll beat you next time lol.

EDIT: And just so we're clear, there was no onus on me to provide evidence for a subjective claim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom