• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch emulation is now possible on Android phones

Ezquimacore

Banned
Egg NS is a switch emulator for Android, obviously you need a powerful phone, snapdragon 855-888 but now it's playable. Only a few games like breath of the wild are not running well enough but with a few more optimization updates it will be possible. The catch: it's only compatible with a few controllers that cost $60

This channel has a few videos

Next year people will be playing breath of the wild 2 on their pc, steam deck, android device and Nintendo switch.

amigastar

Nice, i love Emulation
heart-symbol-of-love-and-valentines-day-flat-red-icon-isolated-on-vector-id1128400054

Romulus

My toilet seat can emulate a switch . Isn’t the chip is like 10 years old by now ? And Nintendo still charges a 300 to 350 for it.. what a rip off man the company is worse than Sony

Yeah the hardware is complete trash at this point, the sad thing is it's not going to change for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam Deck has 2-3 hardware upgrades before we get a new switch

coffinbirth

This emulator has been around for a year now...
Also worth pointing out that this thing essentially has software(online check-in to boot ala PCSX2 Android) AND hardware DRM, stolen Yuzu code and probably has some slick embedded malware.

Will personally wait for a Yuzu or Ryujinx android port.

Ezquimacore

Banned
This emulator has been around for a year now...
Also worth pointing out that this thing essentially has software(online check-in to boot ala PCSX2 Android) AND hardware DRM, stolen Yuzu code and probably has some slick embedded malware.

Will personally wait for a Yuzu or Ryujinx android port.
I tried a few games on a 865, runs pretty well

Romulus

So, this Switch emulator runs on $800 phones...with poor performance...in a legal grey-zone, and the imbecile conclusion is of course: fuck Nintendo for selling the Switch for $200, how dare they...

The thing is, people are already buying the $800 phones, they just happen to run Switch games. PC is the same situation, runs Switch exclusives at better settings. The "poor performance" on the phone could be hugely exaggerated. Do we know if it's native resolution? That could be a game-changer because alot of these people try and run it at the highest resolution possible. Even as is, it looked very close to switch performance.

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
The thing is, people are already buying the $800 phones, they just happen to run Switch games. PC is the same situation, runs Switch exclusives at better settings. The "poor performance" on the phone could be hugely exaggerated. Do we know if it's native resolution? That could be a game-changer because alot of these people try and run it at the highest resolution possible. Even as is, it looked very close to switch performance.
Exactly. This emulator only has a major update and is running great for what it is, also my phone costs $350 lol. This will be like any emulator, very demanding at first and then after a few years you can run botw at 8k like cemu.
That's great and all, but giving money and clicks to these guys is pretty gross.
This guy is just a dude uploading videos to show the emulator, he does that with every emulator

coffinbirth

Exactly. This emulator only has a major update and is running great for what it is, also my phone costs $350 lol. This will be like any emulator, very demanding at first and then after a few years you can run botw at 8k like cemu.

This guy is just a dude uploading videos to show the emulator, he does that with every emulator

Fair enough, I more meant supporting code theft like this in general. Does the emulator itself cost money?

Ezquimacore

Banned
Fair enough, I more meant supporting code theft like this in general. Does the emulator itself cost money?
No, if the code is stolen at least they made an effort unlike the PS2 emulator on Android. This one can run most games except for a few important ones like botw that runs at 16 fps, but I guess a better snapdragon or more optimization will fix that. I think next year will be fully playable.

FStubbs

So, this Switch emulator runs on $800 phones...with poor performance...in a legal grey-zone, and the imbecile conclusion is of course: fuck Nintendo for selling the Switch for $200, how dare they...
Of course. Yet another thread where people hope PLEASE LET THIS BE THE EMULATOR OR DEVICE THAT WILL KILL NINTENDO LOLOLAR

Blond

Banned
My toilet seat can emulate a switch . Isn’t the chip is like 10 years old by now ? And Nintendo still charges a 300 to 350 for it.. what a rip off man the company is worse than Sony
I mean the tegra SOC was over engineered that it’s playing games in 4K that are ported to it.

coffinbirth

No, if the code is stolen at least they made an effort unlike the PS2 emulator on Android. This one can run most games except for a few important ones like botw that runs at 16 fps, but I guess a better snapdragon or more optimization will fix that. I think next year will be fully playable.
Ok, so this thing is beyond shady, and was developed by the DamonPS2 guys for GameSir, according to your boy there.

Which means it almost certainly contains malware like DamonPS2. Is it even in the Play Store?
So you bought the GameSir controller for this?
I would exercise caution in using this app, i.e. don't use it on your actual phone that contains your actual identity. I would be tempted to check this out on my wi-fi only 855 and possibly dig around in it, but I don't have that particular gamepad.

For anyone seriously looking at Android Switch emulation, heed my warning about this, and keep an eye on Skyline.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Ok, so this thing is beyond shady, and was developed by the DamonPS2 guys for GameSir, according to your boy there.

Which means it almost certainly contains malware like DamonPS2. Is it even in the Play Store?
So you bought the GameSir controller for this?
I would exercise caution in using this app, i.e. don't use it on your actual phone that contains your actual identity. I would be tempted to check this out on my wi-fi only 855 and possibly dig around in it, but I don't have that particular gamepad.

For anyone seriously looking at Android Switch emulation, heed my warning about this, and keep an eye on Skyline.

I bought that controller because android gaming/emulation is amazing these days. My phone is basically a portable GameCube/Wii/PSP/3DS etc etc. You can do your own research but so far I don't see anything shady about, it's in development and not in the play store, but Dolphin and citra were like that too. How they developed the thing, or how they stole the Cole or how they're making money is not important to me tbh. Also that video is from 11 months ago, that same channel made a video "exposing" the emulator and now he loves it.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I bought that controller because android gaming/emulation is amazing these days. My phone is basically a portable GameCube/Wii/PSP/3DS etc etc. You can do your own research but so far I don't see anything shady about, it's in development and not in the play store, but Dolphin and citra were like that too. How they developed the thing, or how they stole the Cole or how they're making money is not important to me tbh. Also that video is from 11 months ago, that same channel made a video "exposing" the emulator and now he loves it.
I do the same thing, but with a Razer Kishi.
Android emulation is awesome!
Buuuuuuuuuuut.....
Locking this app behind a piece of hardware like an expensive-yet-cheapo Chinese gamepad should be a red flag to most, especially when the actual app was developed by known thieves. If this came out of anywhere but China, it would be sued to hell and back for GP-L2 violations.
Code theft, asset flipping, etc. are more an ethical quandary, and I don't fault anyone for not being aware or giving a shit, but I've been in the emulation scene since the 90's, contributed to NEStopia for Dreamcast and Xbox and a few other things, so it bothers me on a personal level.

Again, I don't fault anyone for not being aware/compassionate of how damaging stolen code is to the scene, but it's not to be celebrated, IMO.

FWIW, DamonPS2 only got two "real" performance updates ever, and those were only after certain PCSX2 deltas were achieved...and with this being contracted out to Damon, unless GameSir decides to pony up more cash down the line, don't hold your breath for many, if ANY more updates. Keep in mind that this update is fairly hot on the heels of Yuzu's latest big performance update, so it's clearly mirroring their progress.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, or derail your thread, I just think people should be aware of slimy bullshit like this and potential data compromisation via sideloaded Chinese .apks.

If you're enjoying the emulator and that's all that matters to you, I don't fault you for it one bit!

Osaka_Boss

Quite sure this soyface is a stock image. Now you don't even need to shame yourself to your audience, stock companies have you covered!

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
Guys you must be crazy,

Spending $60 to buy Switch games,

To then play them emulated on a phone? You must be really committed to it lol

How do you even justify buying Nintendo games at those prices! And then play them on some Chinese emulator lol.

Or maybe....?

D

Deleted member 820760

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, but can your toilet run DOOM???

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom