• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch could get Vita games in the future thanks to a compatibility layer in development

stranno

Spanish developer Sergi 'Xerpi" Granell has announced vita2hos (Vita to Horizon OS), a compatibility layer to execute native Playstation Vita apps (ARMv7) through the 32-bit mode of the ARMv8 SOC inside the Switch. It is not emulation, since apps would be executed natively, but more like a wrapper. Here's the technical stuff:

PlayStation Vita (ARMv7 CPU) executables can be run natively on Nintendo Switch ARMv8 CPU in 32-bit execution mode. When loading a PlayStation Vita executable, vita2hos redirects the module imports of said executable to jump to routines that implement the same behavior, by using native Horizon OS services, like the one exposed by the original PlayStation Vita OS modules.

He already did this on Vita, porting games from Android. Using the APIs from Rinnegatamante and the launcher from TheFloW, he ported Final Fantasy III and IV from Android to Vita months ago.

For now it only can run a few technical demos, but games could follow in the future.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Freedom Wars Switch! Will it run any of these games at higher resolution, or are the games not designed to make any attempt to run higher than the Vita's 544p?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

vita2hos is a PlayStation Vita to Horizon OS (Nintendo Switch OS) translation layer. In this episode we break down how it all works and why its an exciting milestone for the Nintendo Switch homebrew scene.

CS Lurker

Yes, please

images

ReBurn

Gold Member
TxK. My eyeballs are ready.
This is my favorite Vita game. I would pay full price again if it were ported to Switch as I doubt I'll ever be able to use whatever this thing is. I wish Tempest 4000 would have been this good. Technically they are the same game but Tempest 4000 lost something in the port and the power ups doesn't flow as well for some reason. On console it's definitely a step down from TxK (and Tempest 2000).

Last edited:

Barakov

Spanish developer Sergi 'Xerpi" Granell has announced vita2hos (Vita to Horizon OS), a compatibility layer to execute native Playstation Vita apps (ARMv7) through the 32-bit mode of the ARMv8 SOC inside the Switch. It is not emulation, since apps would be executed natively, but more like a wrapper. Here's the technical stuff:

He already did this on Vita, porting games from Android. Using the APIs from Rinnegatamante and the launcher from TheFloW, he ported Final Fantasy III and IV from Android to Vita months ago.

For now it only can run a few technical demos, but games could follow in the future.

Sony to Vita fans : We kinda just want to focus on console hardware and its' games

Tech wizard to the Vita itself :
christmas magic GIF by Bud Light

Top Bottom