• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Swery 65, Suda 51, Keiichiro Toyama Team up on a New Horror Game titled Hotel Barcelona

Doom85

As the article points out, there may be a decent wait for this game since Suda is still working on No More Heroes 3 and Swery on Deadly Premonition 2, but yeah....yeah.......YEAH!!! This could be sweet!

Dada55000

Oh god, this is going to be another Shadows of the Damned: namedrop, namedrop, namedrop, result, mediocrity.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shame it's a horror game, they could make something better.
tenor.gif

Let me guess, you wanted something more... Generic

Last edited:
Wow, that's amazing! Silent Hill (Team Silent entries) and Killer 7 are all-time greats for me, and I also really enjoyed Deadly Premonition. This is an incredible collaboration. I hope it bears fruit befitting the names involved.

Dada55000

Wow, that's amazing! Silent Hill (Team Silent entries) and Killer 7 are all-time greats for me, and I also really enjoyed Deadly Premonition. This is an incredible collaboration. I hope it bears fruit befitting the names involved.
It's just the director of SH1, he only worked the one game. Honestly, he should be called the Siren and Gravity Rush guy. Those are his babies in full.
Not that he shouldn't be recognised as an SH guy, but that description is really impressise, SH doesn't have a 'the one guy at the helm everyone else falls in line' thing going on, there's a bunch of integral people who made those games what they were.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's just the director of SH1, he only worked the one game. Honestly, he should be called the Siren and Gravity Rush guy. Those are his babies in full.
Not that he shouldn't be recognised as an SH guy, but that description is really impressise, SH doesn't have a 'the one guy at the helm everyone else falls in line' thing going on, there's a bunch of integral people who made those games what they were.
I'm Impressed by Keiichiro that he mostly made name for himself making horror games made such charming game like Gravity Rush, so just like Yoko Taro that guy has my full trust whatever he makes.

Reactions: RSB

Keihart

Indeed, although SH1 is the best one and somehow the one to set up the formula.

Siren kinda reinveted the formula again with the alternate timelines and stealth elements. As much as i love Gravity Rush/Daze, i really want him to go back to horror. Siren was like the last amazing third person psychological survival horror, i bet he and his team can do much more now with VR or just by working with the more powerful consoles...still exiting for him to be involved in any way with the genre again, but the genre really needs him going full swing with a big horror game in SIE Japan.

Last edited:

Yeah, I understand. I loved Siren too, so it's all good. (Haven't played Gravity Rush.)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Keiichiro Toyama = The hidden genius of the gaming industry modern.

Only for him i will pre-order.

Thank to him i love such much Gravity rush.

And because is a Nice person in Twitter, so attent to their fans and write us... only for that i will buy 2 copies xD

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Nein... he create the most scared game ever... Silent Hill and a Great Saga... he deserve it the title... and Team Silent too, such much talent guys

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Goichi “Suda 51” Suda and Hidetaka “Swery 65” Suehiro are working on a horror game together, the pair announced on an IGN Japan live stream.

The developers were originally planning a food-themed PlayStation VR game, but it was cancelled.

In 2018, the pair decided to make a game together, but would forget the ideas they discussed after getting drunk. During the live stream today, however, they were able to solidify their ideas live and on the spot.

The collaboration will be a horror game. Suda came up with the title Hotel Barcelona in a half-hour brainstorm before the live stream, because he would like the game to be set in Barcelona. However, he later said that it could also be set in a place like Tokyo, South Africa, or Venezuela.

As for game content, they want to make it light and easy to play—something that can be downloaded and picked up on mobile, Switch, Stadia, and the like. The idea for the story is that a magazine writer is visiting a hip new hotel, then the horror begins. However, this is not set in stone.

Suda mentioned Siren as a type of horror game he likes, where the narrative is pieced together by playing from the perspectives of various characters. In Hotel Barcelona, you would see different rooms, “each one which represents a different person, or a different dimension, or a different look at what happens in this period of time.” Suda texted Siren creator Keiichiro Toyama during the live stream, asking if he would like to get involved in the project. By the end of the live stream, Toyama had replied with a yes.

Suehiro added that players would be able to follow different “timelines” that are pieced together. While he himself is not into pure horror, he is into something more about “suspense, about uncertainty and nervousness.”

Suda added that he likes splatter horror, so perhaps the second half of the game can turn into something along those lines.

The two also discussed the idea of having an entirely evil character, which the player would be forced to control and do things they do not want to do. Suda said that the characters would included visitors and employees of the hotel. Characters could be sourced from pictures sent in by fans.

Swery also said he would like the game to be a side-scroller, because it might feel more like an indie game.

Both Suda and Suehiro have already spoken to Devolver Digital about potentially publishing the game, which gave them a rough estimate budget of 100 million yen (approx. $1 million USD).

At an event happening next week, Suehiro will come up with concepts for the game, while Suda will design a logo.

Thanks mods for the title change:messenger_sun:

Last edited:

Flauros89

Neo Member
Keiichiro Toyama IS Silent Hill: no further chapter is SH more than the first one. To be honest, the second chapter is good because is different from the original game. Silent Hill 3 tries to be good as the first, with a similar style, but fails. Source: my nickname LOL

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Names means nothing. Without the propper backing I don't get my hopes. Call me when it's revealed that a good publisher is funding this project.

Flauros89

Neo Member
Names means nothing. Without the propper backing I don't get my hopes. Call me when it's revealed that a good publisher is funding this project.
Names means style, mood, aesthetic: it's something. Obviously without backing their vision can't be concrete, but the team is a good start point

Shifty

Not to rain on anyone's parade buuut...

The article said:
apparently that means it might have be a mobile game or have a mobile version

You guys like monkey's paws?

Last edited:
Top Bottom