• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suspiria (2018)

I originally put off watching this film due to the flood of negative reviews I saw when it was released. I typically don't give reviews much weight but I was skeptical about the film before it was released so I was leaning towards not watching it. The original film is one of my all time favorite movies so I figured the remake would disappoint me.

My wife recommended giving it a chance last night as she is a huge Tilda Swinton fan.

really glad I did - this movie is amazing. I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I think it might actually be better than the original. I know that's not really a fair comparison, and I don't want to downplay the importance of the original. The original film changed the way movies were made and it cannot be stated enough how influential it was. Having said that, I enjoyed the remake more.

Tilda Swinton is amazing in it. I thought Dakota Johnson was some hack since the only other thing I knew she was in was 50 shades of grey. I was wrong - her performance is incredible.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find out the soundtrack was done by Thom Yorke. It is sooo fucking good.

the setting of the film is also amazing. everything is amazing. can't believe I put off this film for so long.

it's so damn good.

TIL that they remade Suspiria. I was not a huge fan of the original, frankly I didn't understand the hype around it, but I've never been a big Argento fan.

I hated every second of it.
film is def divisive

TIL that they remade Suspiria. I was not a huge fan of the original, frankly I didn't understand the hype around it, but I've never been a big Argento fan.
I would recommend giving it a watch. without giving away spoilers, it's the opposite of the original film in a lot of ways. I mean the story is roughly the same (except for when it's not), but the movies decide to tell the story in very, very different ways.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I honestly struggled finishing the movie, and i have no problem watching some right shit, i do it often lol.

SpiceRacz

I love horror flicks and this did nothing for me. Thought it was straight up bad. It's visually impressive though.

I love horror flicks and this did nothing for me. Thought it was straight up bad. It's visually impressive though.
did you like Neon Demon? just wondering because that's another film I absolutely loved but have had my friends say it did nothing for them, just found it visually impressive.

also both films were inspired by 70/80s Italian horror (obviously more obvious with the Suspiria remake, but I think Neon Demon is also inspired by it)

It's a love it or hate it kind of movie, but definitely interesting. The cinematography is a complete 180 degrees from the flamboyant giallo-like look of the Dario Argento version. This remake is also more brutal, courtesy of a stomach churning, bones breaking scene...
I admit to not liking either version myself, for different reasons, but if I had to make a choice, I would go with the 2018 film.

Am a huge Argento and giallo fan. I love Suspiria.

I very reluctantly went to see the remake and was prepared to hate it. I actually really liked it. Superb atmosphere and setting, even if very different from the original vibe. Much recommended, as far as contemporary films go.

SpiceRacz

did you like Neon Demon? just wondering because that's another film I absolutely loved but have had my friends say it did nothing for them, just found it visually impressive.

also both films were inspired by 70/80s Italian horror (obviously more obvious with the Suspiria remake, but I think Neon Demon is also inspired by it)

Haven't seen it yet. Been meaning to watch that one for a while.

Konnor

I hated the movie with the force of a thousand suns. WE GET IT IT'S AN ALLEGORY, can you please get past that and present me a fucking coherent or interesting story and characters? The only reason I watched that pretentious clusterfuck in its entirety was my morbid curiosity.

20cent

Banned
Another boring movie where you are supposed to look at the screen and listen to people talking. It sucks.
I was on discord and scrolling feeds of my favorite people on insta, I didn't understand what the story was about every time I laid my eyes on the movie.

Malignant is the gold standard for horror flicks. That police station scene, man.

/S

Loved it. The dance sequence was amazing. What marred the movie for me was the crappy oldman make up that took me right out of the film. I didn't know that it was tilda but knew something was off from start. I thought it was a crap decision to do it like that. The makeup wasn't good enough imo.

tommib

Amazingly well shot. The modernist building for the dance group is a treat to the eyes. Soundtrack elevates the film and Yorke should work more for film directors.

It’s too long though and all the sequences with the old therapist should be taken out. Also, why have Tilda Swinton play an old man. Weird decision that serves no purpose except to say, ah, yes, below all the makeup that was Tilda Swinton.

It’s very slow and atmospheric with little narrative going on. Which is the opposite of what the Netflix generation is used to: narrative soap-opera clues every minute.

It was a very satisfying movie because it made the bad witches easy to hate and then punished them in a terribly gruesome manner. Evil Tilda Swinton going surprised Pikachu at the end was fucking hilarios.

all the sequences with the old therapist should be taken out.

The coven capturing him with the most cruel trick followed by Susie's visit was the best part IMO.

Top Bottom