• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survey indicates Blizzard is considering $25 Legendary Skins, $45 Mythic Skins in Overwatch 2

DavidGzz

Path of Exile has the same prices. This is pretty standard. Not saying it's right, I never bought the sets for PoE either. $40+ is ridiculous.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Skins...
harrison-ford-who-gives-a-shit.gif

lifa-cobex

If it's only cosmetic and not ptw why does it matter?
Because if it's successful in terms of skin purchases. Then that becomes the focus of the game. If it isn't then the devs will try something else. The game devs will be more interested in catering to the 1% of wales than the 99% of users who just want to game.
It speaks about how the devs view the game.
I could be completely wrong and the game becomes a massive success that lasts as long as TF2. But I doubt it.

I always raise an eyebrow when a game is announced as F2P. Why aren't you charging for it? Do you not have faith or are you going to go another route?
Is this a cash grab?

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Absolutely ridiculous.

I can't help but think that these kind of practices only attract casual, short term fans, while repelling the long term ones that ultimately make the brand/franchise valuable and have longevity.

Maybe those days are gone now? Perhaps long form gaming will become niche, and these new short term experiences will take over. If that's what makes them more money in the long term, then I can't blame them. They are a business, after all. But damnit man, it would be a crying shame if it came to that.

Last edited:

tvdaXD

Fuck this, we can cry and do what we want but it won't stop because clowns will still pay for them.

HTK

Banned
I’m sure there are enough suckers out there for them to successfully pull this off.

Lady Jane

Banned
I hope Microsoft nukes these ideas to oblivion. What an abomination Blizzard have become.

They won't. They tried to pull something similar in Halo Infinite but the game sucked too much for them to get away with it so they brought the prices down. MS is itching to attach high MTX prices to something that's popular.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

That's crazy expensive for a visual DLC...but not too surprised with modern day Blizzard. They seem to be willing to ruin every single game they release since the last few years

Manji Uzuki

Why is Overwatch "ruined" if they offer expensive mtx?
All those F2P games (not including here P2W crap) base their model on you getting invested on the game and then willing to pay some bucks for optional stuff like skins. Which is totally ok if you are enjoying the game. But come on, 45$ is close to what some new games costs. That for only one skin? In a game you don't even see your character 90% of the time?

And yeah I get its optional and you can not buy it and just play the game, but that's not an excuse to defend abusive practices in the industry. It's ruined in the moment they are putting a lot of content behind a crazy paywall. Not to say it says a lot behind the design philosophy of the game which may be reflected in other areas. I'm not into Overwatch and don't really care, but I hope I'm wrong and this game turns out to be good for the people that are excited for it. However this kind of things are usually signals for the kind of support the game will have

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
All those F2P games (not including here P2W crap) base their model on you getting invested on the game and then willing to pay some bucks for optional stuff like skins. Which is totally ok if you are enjoying the game. But come on, 45$ is close to what some new games costs. That for only one skin? In a game you don't even see your character 90% of the time?

And yeah I get its optional and you can not buy it and just play the game, but that's not an excuse to defend abusive practices in the industry. It's ruined in the moment they are putting a lot of content behind a crazy paywall. Not to say it says a lot behind the design philosophy of the game which may be reflected in other areas. I'm not into Overwatch and don't really care, but I hope I'm wrong and this game turns out to be good for the people that are excited for it. However this kind of things are usually signals for the kind of support the game will have

Do you get upset when Porsche charges 100k for a new 911?

Or when The Banana Republic charges $80 dollars for a sweater?

Why is it "abusive" to charge $45 dollars for a skin that customers want, in a game they spend hundreds or thousands of hours in? Also, why don't people say the same thing about $60 or $70 dollar games that only have 30% completion rates? Is that abusive too?

Not attacking you personally. Just can't understand the logic of this commonly held belief.

If it's a F2P... then, why not? Does that suck? Yea, it does... but is that any different than a skin in Valorant? Nope, those bitches are expensive as shit. Pretty much on par with these prices. At least it's not a P2W type of deal.

Now for the real question, have I bought any Valorant skins? No, that's some bull shit lol It doesn't matter how cool my gun looks... I'm still butt cheeks at the game lol

Manji Uzuki

Do you get upset when Porsche charges 100k for a new 911?

Or when The Banana Republic charges $80 dollars for a sweater?

Why is it "abusive" to charge $45 dollars for a skin that customers want, in a game they spend hundreds or thousands of hours in? Also, why don't people say the same thing about $60 or $70 dollar games that only have 30% completion rates? Is that abusive too?

Not attacking you personally. Just can't understand the logic of this commonly held belief.
For me the difference is that in those examples I have alternatives. If I found it too expensive I can drive another car or wear a different brand of clothing. In this games if you like Overwatch you can only pass or buy at the prices they want. Also let's keep in mind this kind of aesthetic things used to be free in games. I know the industry changed long time ago (I'm getting old haha) and this is now not the case for many games, but most of them are charging you like what? something between 5$ and 15$ for a skin or a pack of skins? Not 45....

Games with low completion rate may have many causes, but if it's due to poor game design or big issues (performance, total mess of bugs...) then yeah I think its abusive as well.

In the end everyone can spend their money in whatever they want and makes them happy. I just find basing your game business model in this kind of practices worrying

AREYOUOKAY?

Overwatch 2 is free to play
Maybe from your point of view. When the players who actually play the game are locked out of content that because they don’t want to spend money on battle passes or whatever scam they are up to then not really. In the end you’ll now be forced or expected to spend way more than $40 or $60 or however much Overwatch 1 was multiple times all because everyone had to complain about loot boxes that were actually more generous than the ones Team Fortress 2 boxes offered. Removing loot boxes for Overwatch 2 was a mistake if we have no other way of earning things. Had they just left things the same and just let us pay for the game once and that’s it then nobody would be in an uproar especially with the added mobile phone requirement as well which makes things anything but “free to play”.

Skifi28

I'm all for it. I say double it, make every skin cost 100. Maybe it'll help people come to their senses sooner.

MiguelItUp

I bet they're doing it JUST to see if someone will buy them, and you know what? People will. Damn whales, lmao.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What do I care if some moron pays 50 bucks for cosmetic crap. Too expensive? Just don't buy it.

AREYOUOKAY?

I blame every single one of you who buys these loot boxes.
In this case loot boxes aren’t to blame for their massive greed. As much as I hate to say it they were the least greedy things to come from them especially if we could get some for free by just playing the game. Buying single skins for 20-50 is what caused them to go into a downward spiral. It all started with those World of Warcraft mounts and Blizzcon things then it evolved into things like the Overwatch League skins and now their latest scam tactic is for you to give money to streamers nobody cares about if you want a skin (Which by the way was given away to Chinese players for free basically). Activision really has corrupted them for good.

Basically cosmetics you can earn by playing the game or just
paying for it right away = acceptable.

Cosmetics you can ONLY get by paying money for it = bad for everyone.

Last edited:

njean777

Do you want loot boxes or direct skin payments? Which one do you want, because that is the choice at this point. The skins do not matter when it comes to gameplay, so yeah I could care less if they charge 200$ for a digital skin, when it effects gameplay, then I would/will care. People who want it will pay, people who do not won't. Neither persons are better than the other.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
For me the difference is that in those examples I have alternatives. If I found it too expensive I can drive another car or wear a different brand of clothing. In this games if you like Overwatch you can only pass or buy at the prices they want.

So like...how everything works in the world?

If you want to buy a Porsche, you have to buy a car from the Porsche company. They control the prices, just as Blizzard does.

If you find Porsche (Overwatch 2) prices too expensive...don't buy a Porsche, or Overwatch 2 skins.

But unlike Porsche, these cosmetics prices don't prevent you from having full access to the full game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
So like...how everything works in the world?

If you want to buy a Porsche, you have to buy a car from the Porsche company. They control the prices, just as Blizzard does.

If you find Porsche (Overwatch 2) prices too expensive...don't buy a Porsche, or Overwatch 2 skins.

But unlike Porsche, these cosmetics prices don't prevent you from having full access to the full game.
Imagine getting a free silver Porsche and complaining that the yellow with red hearts costs $200k+...

Shifty

It will be hated, but morons will pay and the rest of us will suffer for it.

Tis the way of things.

Top Bottom