• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supernatural actor Jensen Ackles wanted the role of Joel in The Last of Us TV show

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

Jensen Ackles was apparently "pushing hard" for the role of Joel in HBO's The Last of Us TV series, before ultimately losing out to Pedro Pascal.

Speaking at a Supernatural panel at Nashcon 2022, Ackles lamented on his experience missing out on the role of Joel Miller in the upcoming The Last of Us TV show. Speaking about the role, Ackles said: "I was really pushing hard, I don't think I was really in the mix or even had a shot at it, but for Pedro Pascal's role in The Last of Us. That was really high up on my radar."

As we know now, the role instead went to The Mandalorian actor Pedro Pascal, who is set to play Joel in the series when it releases on January 15, 2023. Alongside Pascal, the rest of the cast will feature Game of Thrones actor Bella Ramsey as Ellie, Parks and Recreation actor Nick Offerman as Bill, Terminator: Dark Fate actor Gabriel Luna as Joel's brother Tommy, plus many more.

It's not all bad, though. In a follow-up clip - shared by @city_willow(opens in new tab) on Twitter - Ackles reveals that he's involved in another gaming project. He didn't, however, give fans much to go off of in terms of what it is. "That being said, I am about to head to LA to shoot a whole day, for a new game that's coming out, as a character. I can't say what it is just yet, but you'll find out soon enough," Ackles teased

Would have much prefer him to Pedro Pascal, but at the same time Jensen looks a bit too young for Joel.
Also what gaming project is he involved with 👀
What do you guys think, would Jensen Ackles been a good Joel?

Last edited:

Yoboman

Jensen Ackles was apparently "pushing hard" for the role of Joel in HBO's The Last of Us TV series, before ultimately losing out to Pedro Pascal.

Speaking at a Supernatural panel at Nashcon 2022, Ackles lamented on his experience missing out on the role of Joel Miller in the upcoming The Last of Us TV show. Speaking about the role, Ackles said: "I was really pushing hard, I don't think I was really in the mix or even had a shot at it, but for Pedro Pascal's role in The Last of Us. That was really high up on my radar."

As we know now, the role instead went to The Mandalorian actor Pedro Pascal, who is set to play Joel in the series when it releases on January 15, 2023. Alongside Pascal, the rest of the cast will feature Game of Thrones actor Bella Ramsey as Ellie, Parks and Recreation actor Nick Offerman as Bill, Terminator: Dark Fate actor Gabriel Luna as Joel's brother Tommy, plus many more.

It's not all bad, though. In a follow-up clip - shared by @city_willow(opens in new tab) on Twitter - Ackles reveals that he's involved in another gaming project. He didn't, however, give fans much to go off of in terms of what it is. "That being said, I am about to head to LA to shoot a whole day, for a new game that's coming out, as a character. I can't say what it is just yet, but you'll find out soon enough," Ackles teased

[/URL]

Would have much prefer him to Pedro Pascal, but at the same time Jensen looks a bit too young for Joel.
Also what gaming project is he involved with 👀
What do you guys think, would Jensen Ackles been a good Joel?

That would have been great casting. Especially considering his role on the Boys

Still not convinced Pedro can really pull off the intimidating aspect to Joel but we will see.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Would have been a far better Joel than peachfuzz patches, aesthetics wise.

Pedro does not look intimidating at all. But I would like to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

I think Jensen would have been great. I'm not a huge supernatural fan but he was excellent in the boys.

Pedro has played a grey knight (made it up) character in a bunch of things. His puppy dog eyes can be hard to take seriously but he was great in GOT. I haven't watched enough narcos to give a well formed opinion about his range but as an older Joel he can deliver the slightly vulnerable aspect of the character well. That will help with his interactions with Bella at least.

Have a feeling that studios don't want to hire people too well versed in the subject matter. Saw it with cavill and the Witcher. TV writers want to put their spin on a character and if there's too much push back from a source knowledgable actor than that can cause conflict.

That's probably why cavill is a producer on Warhammer. I bet Jensen won't have to wait long for another TV video game role

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I like Jensen Ackles just fine but Pedro Pascal is a much more talented actor, so I'm glad they went that route.
smirk drinking GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Love me some Jenson Ackles. I was unironically a huge Supernatural fan for a bit until it got too silly.

I really wish DC or Marvel would get him involved. I would love to see more of him while also seeing him get PAID.

Fbh

Would have been a pretty good casting.

Dude is great but has been held down doing Supernatural for way too long. Hopefully now that the show is finally done he keeps getting cool roles on big shows like The Boys.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Would have been a pretty good casting.

Dude is great but has been held down doing Supernatural for way too long. Hopefully now that the show is finally done he keeps getting cool roles on big shows like The Boys.
Yeah, he was held down: by a pile of CASH MONEEEEEY💰 🤑 💸

GloveSlap

Love me some Jenson Ackles. I was unironically a huge Supernatural fan for a bit until it got too silly.

I really wish DC or Marvel would get him involved. I would love to see more of him while also seeing him get PAID.
Yeah, i watched all of Supernatural but only consider seasons 1-5 to be the actual show. Between Kripke leaving and Kim Manners dying, the rest isn't even close. Thankfully, s1-5 is a self contained story.

Jensen did do a little DC work by voicing the red hood in the Batman: Under the Red Hood animated movie. Jensen absolutely killed it there, and it's a great Batman movie in it's own right.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Oh for sure, I don't think he minded.
Just saying I think he is a good actor that a lot of people might not be aware of because most of his career was a 15 seasons show that peaked in season 5.
I didn't know of him until he showed up on The Boys, and I was like, "Why don't I know about this actor? He's great!"

Pejo

Man, he's still a bit too young looking, but makeup could have fixed that. That would have been a top-tier casting. At least I don't have to know in the back of my head that he's going to eventually get Abby'd.

Hugare

Oh man, this is something that I never knew I wanted until now

Jensen is an excellent actor, and looks a lot more like Joel than Pascal, but he is too young

Joel during the first game was 52 years old, Jensen is 44

Pedro is 47, but looks older

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
I hope Jensen plays a character called Neil Drugman in the show. Joel loads a shotgun after Neil is unhappy about the bigot sandwiches on the lunch menu.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
He probably would have done a good job. He's a good actor, he just decided to star in WB and CW shows for that money and I don't blame him, but when he's gotten a chance to be dramatic he hasn't disappointed. Like he was really good in The Boys for example.

Ar¢tos

So instead of a face-pubes Joel and an old lady Ellie we would have younger looking , but properly bearded Joel and still an old lady Ellie...

Top Bottom