• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superman, Spider-Man and Batman Video Game Imagined in Unreal Engine 5

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Game developer and Twitter user @volodXYZ made a short video that demonstrated what a Superman game could look like thanks to the newly released Unreal Engine 5. Using a city and a character model, they were able to showcase how the character can move around the world at high speeds and navigate through tight corners. It's only a small part of what a Superman game could be, but it's a pivotal piece of the foundation. There have been other fans that have imagined what a Superman game could be over the years, but Unreal Engine 5 really ups the ante. Whether or not Warner Bros. will ever find a developer that's willing or capable enough to see a Superman game through to the end remains to be seen.

Isn't that just the city from the Matrix demo?

Yes

Thanks mods for the title change x2

Excited The Child GIF by Disney+

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Just moves like a sped up IRON MAN from AVENGERS. The problem isn't how to get SUPERMAN's movement in game, it's: What could we possibly do with this character that isn't contrived? SUPERMAN's power is that he shows up. You can write a good comic about this (and many have that explore how someone who is basically a god lives in the mortal world) but for gameplay is he just fighting increasingly more cosmic enemies?

. . .maybe if it were an "Elseworld" style game where he's set in the time before writers wrote themselves into a corner with his power creep.

Fbh

Looks cool but I don't know how it would translate into compelling gameplay and mission design.

I'd much rather get a non super man game with more dated graphics but crazy destruction. Let me throw enemies at buildings and have them collapse like that original Crackdown 3 demo:
crackdown_Big_building-destruction.gif

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Give me Dark Void jet-pack in the matrix.

Hell, give me a jet-pack in Microsoft Flight Simulator and I will be Flight Sim fan.....

Please someone...Just give me a jet-pack.

--------------------------------------------

I remember being so excited to play Superman64 with a Gameshark just so I could fly around the city. And I did....For hours.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Looks cool but I don't know how it would translate into compelling gameplay and mission design.

I'd much rather get a non super man game with more dated graphics but crazy destruction. Let me throw enemies at buildings and have them collapse like that original Crackdown 3 demo:
i never got to play this game but did it not look like this in the final?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
What about a game where you are a villian and trying to commit crimes in a major city and do it in such a way that superman doesn't notice you. You start small and build up, ultimately running a criminal underworld, but you set up faints and false flags to keep superman off base as you try to become the criminal overlord and ultimately mayor.

Boss Mog

A serious modern Superman is pretty much impossible because he's too powerful. It's pointless unless every enemy is equipped with kryptonite-based weaponry, but then you don't get to really feel like Superman.

TheKratos

A serious modern Superman is pretty much impossible because he's too powerful. It's pointless unless every enemy is equipped with kryptonite-based weaponry, but then you don't get to really feel like Superman.
Pretty much, or every enemy is an android or something or equipped with high tech suit. Can't see Supe taking any punches.

kiphalfton

This is great and everything… until the whole city gets leveled after 15 minutes and you’re bored.

sol_bad

Only way a Superman game would work would be if it was a boss rush type of game. And something to do with causing as little damage as possible.

Madflavor

I read a comment somewhere that that best way to make a Superman game work, is to have you play as a Young Clark Kent just starting out. You slowly learn your powers throughout the game, and grow stronger over time. By endgame you're pretty much unstoppable.

Bluecondor

I read a comment somewhere that that best way to make a Superman game work, is to have you play as a Young Clark Kent just starting out. You slowly learn your powers throughout the game, and grow stronger over time. By endgame you're pretty much unstoppable.
Yes! And then at the end of the game, you fly up to the Fortress of Solitude where the place is loaded with deadly levels of Kryptonite, and you are challenged to use all of the powers you discovered and built up to defeat the enemies from the Superman movie from the 80s.

Only way a Superman game would work would be if it was a boss rush type of game. And something to do with causing as little damage as possible.
That's not true at all, there are plenty of DC villains that can give Superman a hard time, they also need to stop thinking that we have to be the underdog in every game. What's wrong with letting Superman be a bad ass in a game? What you just described wouldn't be fun at all. Destruction isn't a problem it's making sure that they get the feel right and so far the closest a Superman game has come to that was the Superman Returns game and it sucked for all kinds of other reasons.

I'm sick of games that only let you feel powerful right at the very end, it's just a tired formula IMO and we all seen his origin story 100x by now. I know Cory Barlog mentioned not letting him fly, that wouldn't be a superman game.

sol_bad

That's not true at all, there are plenty of DC villains that can give Superman a hard time, they also need to stop thinking that we have to be the underdog in every game. What's wrong with letting Superman be a bad ass in a game? What you just described wouldn't be fun at all. Destruction isn't a problem it's making sure that they get the feel right and so far the closest a Superman game has come to that was the Superman Returns game and it sucked for all kinds of other reasons.

I know he has lots of villains that he can fight. But there aren't any henchmen type villains that he can fight, he'd knock them all over with a flick. That wouldn't be fun.

That's why I suggested a boss rush type scenario, just Supes taking on a new villain in each stage. The arenas they take place in would be massive in scale, whole cities and they can take place on various planets.

I think I remember the Superman Returns game involving natural disasters and they are boring. Well crafted and tough to beat villains would be hella fun imo

Disregard my comment about causing little damage to a city but at least include some sort of save the civillain from damage mechanic.

luffie

Doesn't matter, a dying franchise.
There is a drop of hype in superman, the comics aren't selling well, and the story have stagnated and rot.

Whatever good mechanics that can be implemented into a superman game, is better served with a new character new story.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm sorry for being grumpy but I'm already tired of the UE5 asset flipping for the 5 seconds of fame. You didn't need UE5 and its Matric city to test this simple concept of nothing more than a putting a character in front of a camera flying around in a city.. You could simply do that with your imagination.

Last edited:
It can't see it as an action game, unless you heavily hold his powers back. It's probably not impossible but it's a lot harder to pull it off than if doing a Spider-man or Batman game.

Last edited:
I know he has lots of villains that he can fight. But there aren't any henchmen type villains that he can fight, he'd knock them all over with a flick. That wouldn't be fun.

That's why I suggested a boss rush type scenario, just Supes taking on a new villain in each stage. The arenas they take place in would be massive in scale, whole cities and they can take place on various planets.

I think I remember the Superman Returns game involving natural disasters and they are boring. Well crafted and tough to beat villains would be hella fun imo

Disregard my comment about causing little damage to a city but at least include some sort of save the civillain from damage mechanic.
Why not just bring in a bunch of powerful kryptonians as henchman working under zod or something? They could come up with something easily.

BlackTron

We are so used to a rehashed formula in action games that we don't pause to think that a different one might exist that would be a good fit for Superman. It definitely can't be a clone of a Batman or Spiderman type game.

The question in Superman shouldn't be, can Superman beat the bad guys. It should be, can Superman beat enough bad guys, fast enough. You should have to pull off some insane shit, and the onus is on the player to use Superman's variety of abilities to realize it quicker, cleaner, more efficiently. Imagine a literal world map with fires sprouting up all over the place, using super speed to try and save as many people as possible without letting too many "slip through the cracks". Or a situation where a massive alien armada is headed to Earth, and Superman has to take out every ship before a single one touches down.

I've always thought the ideal Superman game would work like this, but don't expect it to ever happen 🤷‍♂️

Rubik8

The problem with Superman is that he is indestructible. So instead of making the gameplay revolve around his “life total”, make the populous of Metropolis be Superman’s “life.” The more civilians are killed by the threat, the more you hurt Superman. The whole game would be about protecting people.

Fbh

This is great and everything… until the whole city gets leveled after 15 minutes and you’re bored.

I'd make it more linear and mission based, with multiple locations, changing up objectives, conditions, etc.

Even if it ended up being a superman game I don't get why everyone thinks the only way of translating superman into a game is making a generic open world sandbox.

rofif

Banned
I know it’s ignorant but superman game would be so boring. He is too powerful. That’s why we don’t have a good superman game

Wohc

Banned
I just can't imagine fun/challenging gameplay with this guy except you give every trashmob Kryptonite weapons which would be ridiculous. He is called Superman for a reason.

Top Bottom