• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Nintendo Music Does Not Need "Restoration"

I get what they are saying, but at the same time you really don't have to listen to the restored content. They are hardly replacing the original soundtrack. It is merely a nice to as a what if scenario. Then again, i am not some purist who needs everything exactly how it is. Some of these Donkey Kong Country 2 restored music is fantastic.

Last edited:
It doesn't need it per say, but if people can create versions with high fidelity samples I'm all for it.

Even just playing the SNES audio through an emulator enhances it quite a bit with upsampling, high quality filters and mixing.

StormCell

Well I disagree. There. What I get out of listening to restorations and high quality mixes is a taste of what the game maybe would have sounded like if it was remastered. A lot of the DKC stuff sounds absolutely amazing after some modernization.

Plus, what composers managed to accomplish with the limited sound chips maybe a separate thing from what their true artistic vision was for the composition. For instance, hearing the Final Fantasy compositions in orchestra is absolutely the most authentic way to hear them regardless of what their SNES/PS1 tracks sounded like.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Whoever this dude is fuck him.
absolute TIT fuck him and i hope he goes living on the moon.

Fucking elitist twat same horrible people that ruin vinyl collecting for me.
When some of those idiots start spewing how bad music streaming is.
or how cd kills the feel of music
giphy.gif

the lossless samples make the songs sound way better.. get over it.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

When 99% of your game library sounds muffled, overcompressed or just crap, yeah, you need all the help you can get. People always bring up one or two songs from DKC then conveniently forget that the rest of the soundtrack sounds like shit due to the tiny samples they were forced to use and the SFX lacks "oomph" overall.

RAIDEN1

Donkey Kong Country 2, one of the greatest platformers to ever grace the system.....Take THAT! Genesis! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

to play devils advocate, the Super Mario World restored soundtracks sound pretty bad, but that is just the problem with bad restorations not restoration in general. the DKC trilogy sound great alot of the time.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Chrono Trigger sounded much better on PSOne so... sorry, there’s definitely a case for better quality samples for SNES music.

I also want to point out that most kids played in mono TVs with a speaker that barely sounded better than an AM radio (really excruciatingly low sound quality).

The SNES sound wasn't meant to be listed in earphones or anything like a decent spound system.

BigBooper

Asinine gatekeeping. To get the true experience, I also need to have my mom in the kitchen banging stuff around making spaghetti while yelling at me to turn the tv down. At the same time my older brother is practicing singing while my other brother is banging a plastic firetruck into the wall.

That's if I wanted the "real" music, which I don't.

Top Bottom