• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania – Announcement Trailer | Nintendo E3 2021

BlackTron

From what I've seen in the videos it looks like Monkey Target hasn't been built on the success of the physics in the original Cube/Deluxe versions or Wii version, and still has its code running like a flash game, like the crappy Nintendo DS, Vita, etc versions of the mini game they had.

On that basis, me and my friends - that have largely been playing the SMB2 target split screen game for decades - are now ditching plans to buy this, and looking at a offline console-esq emulation solution to replace using a Wii and get the game running at a modern resolution with some anti-aliasing.

You shouldn't have to do this, but keep fighting the good fight sir.

I will stick to my original GC copies. Not as pretty but I gave up on techie solutions for party multiplayer. I still use an N64 for split screen on an HDTV for god's sake. It's a compromise but having some convoluted solution to play each game, full of problems and glitches, got old.

Which is why it's pathetic we can't just solve the problem with the remake. I'm not buying this either, higher hopes for Mario Party Superstars.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Super Monkey Ball gameplay has always reveled in its simplicity and liberal twists to the format that are introduced throughout their games. In recreating that idea with a comprehensive collection of modes and levels that worked best throughout the franchise, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania is largely a success.

While notable, it’s hard to get too hung up on some of the more subtle drawbacks with simplified physics and some of the franchise’s more unique ideas not being represented. Ultimately, Banana Mania might be a bit more aimed at newcomers than returning fans, but given it’s smorgasbord of modes, levels, and thoughtful touches here and there, you’d be hard-pressed to not have a good time with it.

Shaqazooloo

You go a little bit too fast imo, I try and correct my movement and it feels like the ball flings itself in that direction when I'm barely holding the stick. Might try gyro to see if that feels better.

Jeeves

From what I've seen in the videos it looks like Monkey Target hasn't been built on the success of the physics in the original Cube/Deluxe versions or Wii version, and still has its code running like a flash game, like the crappy Nintendo DS, Vita, etc versions of the mini game they had.

On that basis, me and my friends - that have largely been playing the SMB2 target split screen game for decades - are now ditching plans to buy this, and looking at a offline console-esq emulation solution to replace using a Wii and get the game running at a modern resolution with some anti-aliasing.
I never really got into Monkey Target but I used to be a fiend for Monkey Bowling. From what I've played the physics are definitely not the same...putting spin on the ball doesn't feel the same, and the pins pretty much stop moving as soon as they fall over as if someone put fly paper on the floor. Feels bad.

silentstorm

So, since there isn't any other thread the search option offering any other thread and this game is on sale on Xbox, just wondering, is this game worth buying for a newcomer?

I have not played any of the old games, so the physics won't bother me, and i have no experience with Monkey Target...though the way so many people care about this minigame rather than the main game and every other minigame makes me wonder if the main game is lackluster...but enough people still care about it, just wondering if anyone can tell if the game is fun for someone with no experience.

Every damn review seems to be made by someone who has played the first few games or hates hard/arcade style games in general and i just want someone to say if the game is good rather than saying "Well, it's the same game but it looks and feels different and i miss the old way or it takes too long to get used to the new way!" which is fine when it comes to talking to old fans...but for new fans it's worthless, does the game control well at all, is it recommended for people who don't have a Gamecube at all!?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So, since there isn't any other thread the search option offering any other thread and this game is on sale on Xbox, just wondering, is this game worth buying for a newcomer?

I have not played any of the old games, so the physics won't bother me, and i have no experience with Monkey Target...though the way so many people care about this minigame rather than the main game and every other minigame makes me wonder if the main game is lackluster...but enough people still care about it, just wondering if anyone can tell if the game is fun for someone with no experience.

Every damn review seems to be made by someone who has played the first few games or hates hard/arcade style games in general and i just want someone to say if the game is good rather than saying "Well, it's the same game but it looks and feels different and i miss the old way or it takes too long to get used to the new way!" which is fine when it comes to talking to old fans...but for new fans it's worthless, does the game control well at all, is it recommended for people who don't have a Gamecube at all!?
It controls really well and fluently to me, but as a newcomer it will definitely challenge you. Banana Mania has options like slowing down time to help you though. You have to enjoy the gameplay loop and arcade style nature of the game to get the most enjoyment out of it. It perfect for a few rounds here and there. If there is a demo you should try it. Other than that, I think 20-30 bucks is pretty fair.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Spend this Holiday season with AiAi and your favorite monkey gang! [banana emoji]

Grab a roasted banana and curl up fireside with the ultimate Super Monkey Ball adventure – Available Now on PS4 and PS5! Roll through wondrous worlds, including over 300 levels and mazes and 12 delightful Party Games, in this faithful remake of the original beloved Super Monkey Ball games. Over 300 levels and mazes, 12 delightful party games, and a charming cast of characters – including special guests Sonic & Tails! – make their return to the world of Super Monkey Ball just in time for the holidays. [Holiday emoji]

Top Bottom