• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario World - SNES vs. GBA | Side by Side

mcjmetroid

I don't think there's a single port from a SNES game that is better on the GBA.
Am I may be cheating here but Mario Kart super circuit is the closest.

I know it's not a port but it does contain all the original tracks I think and it is a SNES style game that looks and sounds better than the original game in the same style.

As for a straight port..there must be something?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't think there's a single port from a SNES game that is better on the GBA.
Only one that comes to mind is the port of Final Fantasy IV. Although technically, I think this is actually a port of the Wonderswan Color version of the game so I'm not sure if that counts.

A massive improvement though: better colors, character sprites in the dialog, better English script, added extras like a bestiary and hidden dungeons.

cireza

Banned
GBA ports were made to mitigate the weakness of the screen.

They were still very good ports, with a window adapted for the console. They also had some additional content. For example, you have Yoshi Coins in all stages on GBA, unlike SNES.

The console offered these games on the go. It was pretty awesome really. I played a ton of Phantasy Star Collection on GBA, despite the obvious cuts. It was simply much more convenient to play these games on the go.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Colors are better in the SNES version
Everything is.

It’s amazing how people shit on Nintendo for porting improved versions of their WiiU games to Switch when Nintendo did this travesty on the GBA. Basically all the games Nintendo ported to GBA from NES and SNES were very well known and had sold millions, yet they sold them again at full price and no, no extra content was worth the quality loss from the originals. And don’t get me started on the voices they added to everything. This is George Lucas-tier stuff.

Xyphie

There are ROM hacks that fix the colors of GBA games. The big downgrade in GBA games is always the sound, GBA games always sound terrible.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Having those games on the go back then was great and the colors, aspect ratio, and even sound didn't diminish that. Most ports were at least decent. Nowadays there are better ways to play those games though, even portable, but when the GBA was relevant it was awesome.

cireza

Banned
I don't really see this. I'd rather play Bayonetta 1, 2 and Wonderful 101 on Wii U. Games play much better with the Gamepad than with the shitty default controls of the Switch. You lose the Gamepad features for games. Tokyo Mirage Gamepad features were incorporated on the Switch in the most lazy way possible.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The colours are all washed out in an attempt to offset the uber dark GBA screen. Yuck.
This was particularly common in the early days of the GBA, before the SP or "brighter" SP variants.

There are ROM hacks that fix the colors of GBA games. The big downgrade in GBA games is always the sound, GBA games always sound terrible.

Indeed, I keep the hacked version of Doom on a flashcart in my GBA, which restores the colors beautifully. Doom on GBA is a blast.

Everything is.

It’s amazing how people shit on Nintendo for porting improved versions of their WiiU games to Switch when Nintendo did this travesty on the GBA. Basically all the games Nintendo ported to GBA from NES and SNES were very well known and had sold millions, yet they sold them again at full price and no, no extra content was worth the quality loss from the originals. And don’t get me started on the voices they added to everything. This is George Lucas-tier stuff.
Alternative view: being able to carry these adventures on a portable system was amazing, and the additions like giant enemies & All-Stars graphics on the NES titles made it fun to replay.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I don't really see this. I'd rather play Bayonetta 1, 2 and Wonderful 101 on Wii U. Games play much better with the Gamepad than with the shitty default controls of the Switch. You lose the Gamepad features for games. Tokyo Mirage Gamepad features were incorporated on the Switch in the most lazy way possible.
Some things, like resolution, were improved. Also, portability and extra modes/features.
But I agree, the Gamepad did make some things better, and games like TW101 do lose something in the translation, just like games originally made for the DS lose something when ported to PC/console.

My point is, the GBA versions of SNES games were inferior in resolution, color, sound, and controls. Inferior versions through and through, in spite of some ho-hum additional content. Launching the system with a full-price port of fucking SMB2 just to have a Mario game for launch was top greedy Nintendo.

Alternative view: being able to carry these adventures on a portable system was amazing, and the additions like giant enemies & All-Stars graphics on the NES titles made it fun to replay.
Portability was awesome, yeah. If you had never played those games before, the GBA versions were good enough without resorting to emulation. But I never felt the added content was worth the losses.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
gba best one more realistic colors to mimic real life. Very complicated bloom effect too!
i love the indie filter nintendo used on the GBA sound.

Last edited:
And don’t get me started on the voices they added to everything. This is George Lucas-tier stuff.
PREACH.

On one of the Wii U Virtual Console sales, on a whim I got the GBA version of Yoshi's Island, since at that time the SNES version of Yoshi's Island was still not emulated in any official place.

Instant realization that it may not have been the wisest choice. Yoshi's "voice" became aggravating in what I mathematically calculated to be about 0.457 seconds 😂

Agent X

It looks better but i would not say it also sounds better. At all. The GBA had very crappy sound in general.

The GBA sound wasn't too bad, by the standards of a portable system at that time. There were some developers that managed to squeeze out very good audio.

I felt that the system should've had at least two more face buttons, so that it could at least match the SNES control scheme. They had lots of SNES ports, and while the sound could at least approach the SNES versions (with some effort), no amount of programming prowess could make up for the fact that the system was still two buttons short. Some games were able to work with modified control schemes, but it would've been nice to not have to make any compromises here.

Top Bottom