• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Party gets free online mode update

Robin64

Out right now, Super Mario Party has just had a big (free) update that adds a load of things to online, including proper Party mode.

It's also the first Nintendo developed game to actually use the Invite feature that was added in Switch's 9.0 firmware update.

Ver. 1.1.0 (Released April 27, 2021)​

Feature Added
  • You can now play the following modes over the internet:
    • Mario Party
    • Partner Party
    • Free Play (Minigames)

• Important: To play over the internet, a subscription to the paid Nintendo Switch Online service is required.
Playing over the internet

• To play over the internet, select either Mario Party, Partner Party, or Minigames, then select Online Play.
  • There are two ways to play over the internet: Friend Match, where you can play with Friends, and Private Game, where you can play with anyone using passwords.
  • The combinations through which you can play over the internet are as follows:
    • Up to 1 player per system (you can play with between 2 and 4 players)
    • Up to 2 players per system (you can play with between 3 and 4 players)

If two players are each playing on their own systems, they cannot play with two players using a third system.
  • Playing over the internet supports the Invite Friend feature. If you select Invite Friend on the screen at which you’re waiting for rivals, your selected Friends can join from the Online Play Invites on their user-page icon in the top left of the HOME Menu.
    • Online Mariothon does not support the Invite Friend feature.
  • When playing over the internet, all 20 characters and all maps are available, regardless of your current in-game progress
  • When playing over the internet, 70 of the total 80 minigames are available to play
  • The following 10 minigames are not available when playing over the internet.
    • Strike It Rich
    • Time to Shine
    • Take a Stab
    • All-Star Swingers
    • Rhythm and Bruise
    • Pep Rally
    • Wiped Out
    • Fiddler on the Hoof
    • Clearing the Table
    • Baton and On
  • Play data won’t be saved when playing over the internet

SCB3

A year (well should've been in at Launch tbh) late imo, COVID is dying down in most of the world, although it is the Summer Holidays soon

jigglet

Banned
It's been one year since covid, i guess Nintendo doesn't have any choices but to focus online right now, that's what I believe

Pretty much. Devs struggling to adapt to working from home are probably best suited to just expanding their current games or doing remasters as it requires less creative vision that is harder to communicate remotely.

drotahorror

This needed a speed up CPU turns more than anything. Games are way too damn long, and the cutscenes that show you stuff etc. FFS I played it before let me skip stuff and speed up the CPU. Can't even play this game with one other person unless you plan on losing your entire day to it.

MistBreeze

thanks for reply guys I want to be happy

I almost feel I will cry

but for some reason I fee I cant

it is like I do not care anymore

Cutty Flam

Banned
can we play with other 3 players on a board like local now ???
I tried it out earlier. It’s only with friends on your friend’s list, which isn’t all that great of an addition tbh...but at least now it is finally possible

It was kinda misleading too when I tested it out, it looked like there was a lobby set to search for anyone to play with while you play a minigame during your wait. But then you’ll realize that it’s only for friends on your friends list, which is means a lot of work to make it happen. It would have been much easier to be matched with random people across the globe and friends alike through a matchmaking server or something. Now fans are essentially needing to find a bunch of friends who:

A) Have the game
B) Will accept your friend request
C) Play the game very often (most don’t)
D) Are playing at the same time as you
E) Accept the invite to play when you both happen to be online and playing Super Mario Party

A lot of barriers, and all that to maybe get a game for the day with just one friend (finding three others will be slim odds unless you know them irl) but again at least now it’s possible to play the board game online. This is a step in the right direction

It’s not going to be a smooth process in the slightest to get a full party of 4 playing but I’m still going to try at some point

Bridges

Only if one is at your side, and the other 2 are at the same switch. This doesn't allow a party using more than 2 switches.
Damn, what a monkey's paw situation. I honestly don't even mind being tethered to the friend's list (even if it's not ideal), but not being able to play across 4 Switches is madness. Why the hell is Nintendo still so clueless about online modes?

Robin64

Friend Match isn't the only option, you can also use 'Private Game' where you can play with anyone using a password, so you can just give that password out eg on this forum or on Twitter or whatever.

MagnesG

Banned
I tried it out earlier. It’s only with friends on your friend’s list, which isn’t all that great of an addition tbh...but at least now it is finally possible

It was kinda misleading too when I tested it out, it looked like there was a lobby set to search for anyone to play with while you play a minigame during your wait. But then you’ll realize that it’s only for friends on your friends list, which is means a lot of work to make it happen. It would have been much easier to be matched with random people across the globe and friends alike through a matchmaking server or something. Now fans are essentially needing to find a bunch of friends who:

A) Have the game
E) Accept the invite to play when you both happen to be online and playing Super Mario Party

A lot of barriers, and all that to maybe get a game for the day with just one friend (finding three others will be slim odds unless you know them irl) but again at least now it’s possible to play the board game online. This is a step in the right direction

It’s not going to be a smooth process in the slightest to get a full party of 4 playing but I’m still going to try at some point
Friend Match isn't the only option, you can also use 'Private Game' where you can play with anyone using a password, so you can just give that password out eg on this forum or on Twitter or whatever.
??

MistBreeze

A) Have the game

nintindo always find a way to make online gaming worse

Nintindo is Nintindo I guisss

Really feel Nintendo missed the boat with this one. Online should have been in at launch with SMP. We're crying out for new boards for heaven's sake.

Cutty Flam

Banned
GAF Mario Party, Party when?
Idk if you’re ready for this Bending. Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo is a Super Mario Party scholar. And while I’m nub cake city at this current one, my Mario Party expertise is comparable to that of the Egyptians and their knowledge of the pyramids / architectural mathematics. You might need to schedule a therapy session with Dr. Zoidberg beforehand

Are there enough fans of this game to warrant making an OT for Super Mario Party to exchange online lobby passwords? Would be great to play competitive 4s every once in a while. But this is a three year old game after all, not sure if the thread would be in vain or not?

bender

What time is it?
Idk if you’re ready for this Bending. Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo is a Super Mario Party scholar. And while I’m nub cake city at this current one, my Mario Party expertise is comparable to that of the Egyptians and their knowledge of the pyramids / architectural mathematics. You might need to schedule a therapy session with Dr. Zoidberg beforehand

Are there enough fans of this game to warrant making an OT for Super Mario Party to exchange online lobby passwords? Would be great to play competitive 4s every once in a while. But this is a three year old game after all, not sure if the thread would be in vain or not?

I've never even played Mario Party and I'm ready to destroy your world.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I've never even played Mario Party and I'm ready to destroy your world.
Wait, not one match ever? You have Super Mario Party though? We gotta play sometime and set up a game. Can’t believe you missed out on the oldschool greats. If they ever make a Mario Party Collectors edition, you will be surprised at the greatness of the earlier ones. Assuming Nintendo has better online by that time

bender

What time is it?
Wait, not one match ever? You have Super Mario Party though? We gotta play sometime and set up a game. Can’t believe you missed out on the oldschool greats. If they ever make a Mario Party Collectors edition, you will be surprised at the greatness of the earlier ones. Assuming Nintendo has better online by that time

This is my first MP. I picked it up on a digital sale via Best Buy for like $25.00 with rewards certificates.

Cutty Flam

Banned
This is my first MP. I picked it up on a digital sale via Best Buy for like $25.00 with rewards certificates.
That’s a steal, it’s been at $59 like 98% of the time I’ve seen it on eshop all this time. Well Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo says this game requires plenty of tactics and strategy, in line with the best in the series, I’ve disagreed plenty of times on that but if there’s more people to play with maybe I’ll be able to assess whether that is true or not

No matter what though, I can almost guarantee that Shaq and I being in one lobby together will make it very challenging for anyone. Should be a lot of fun if we can find the right time to get a match

Top Bottom