• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker 2 |OT|:- Kaizo or Casual? Who cares! Let's Create, Play and Share!

tkscz

Here are two levels I made, Return to Lakitu's Hideout is MetroidVania like and Tricky Desert Trails is something I created by mistake.

TQ1jbsJ.png

P0yNeDh.png

Here, my first level in the game, Old School Super Mario (Plains):

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

The idea was to make a traditional Super Mario level, mixing different level types from the beginning of the original game. The only "new" thing is orange pipes so Piranha Plants work properly. It isn't linear, with some stuff to collect and discover.
I had fun with this, traditional was good, my fiance thought it was a remake of a level she remembered. Liked and downloaded!

Couple more traditional style levels from me.

Frostfire Fortress - 0ST-RCS-P0G
Storming the Pirate Fleet - 8L4-354-4VF
You inspired me to do my own airship level, its actually airships and tanks with a boss fight at the end. Probably my biggest level yet.

Anyways on a different note I took a few quick pics vs just posting codes for SMB-R Worlds 1-4 and the recently added 1-5 with airships, tanks and a boss fight.

SFV1D4sh.jpg

gzIeno2h.jpg

DI5qPsZh.jpg

lG0CNxnh.jpg

yG507vih.jpg

Fyi, I always try to sneak in a hidden pixelated coin pattern into each level, world 1-2 was the only one I didn't.

Corkscrew

Neo Member
My girlfriend was intrigued by me making (too difficult) SMM2 levels, so she took away my Switch and spent the last 10 hours or so creating her very first own level.

94C-DQS-W5G

She's a bit sad that only 3 people played her course so far (besides me), so any new try would give her joy. Thanks! :)

First person to clear this one! Finding the second coin without any hint was kind of rough though... Maybe some coins to signal where the entrance is?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I've put together 2 levels so far and hope to do atleast 8, maybe more. I've been keeping to a Mario 3 theme but I will branch out within the other options especially Mario 3D World... why is Mario 2 still getting the shaft btw? My levels are geared more towards the classic style of play vs. the crazy things you might find in Mario Maker levels. I feel like my levels are well thought out though and visually appealing in terms of classic style of play, so if you're looking for new stuff to play FTQ-TBN-7KF 'World 1-1 SMB-R' and CQW-NV7-KWF 'World 1-2 SMB-R', if you feel like throwing some feedback my way in terms of what you thought, what you would like to see improved, let me know on this thread and your feedback is appreciated!
These were really cool. They felt like real deal SMB3 levels. I love the atmosphere my only critique would be I’d be happy if they was even more to them.

pimentel1

Banned
When making a level how do u have the enemies walk back and forth on a platform? Mine are all falling to their deaths lol

put a block in front of them. One of the turtles, i think the red ones don’t fall off. And some like the spiky beetles keep climbing around.

Last edited:

Link1110

Might buy this in a few days. Wanna double check since I don't play online games, can I play levels uploaded by other people without buying the Nintendo online subscription?

Sejan

When making a level how do u have the enemies walk back and forth on a platform? Mine are all falling to their deaths lol

The different color enemies have different behaviors. I can’t remember specifically, but one color Koopa jumps off platforms and the other color walks back and forth.

Cat Mario skills...a more traditional level from me. Probably my second favorite next to Ricochet Madness.

Cat Burglar: W1F-4XC-FLF

Last edited:
Guess I'll share 2 levels I made and try and send some feed back on levels in this thread.

Q2H-X8G-0WG

All about using Mario 1 giant Mario for platforming challenge, may be a bit frustrating.

35C-CGK-7YG

Using bomb kicking to solve light puzzle platforming section's

Let me know what I can do to either improve or if the gimmick isn't fun for both stages.

xandaca

I've always wanted to do a train level and am proud of how it turned out. Fun fact: I built the steam train at the beginning of the level based on actual blueprints, so filtered through a little Mushroom Kingdom abstraction, it should basically be mechanically accurate. Everything else: not so much. Have fun!

EXPRESS RIDE THROUGH DAY AND NIGHT: S9D-7YN-8HG

Style:
NSMBU
Theme: Airship
Type: Traditional/Auto-scroller
Difficulty: Medium-Hard (I think I'm playing it safe here, I don't think it's much harder than my other levels but the auto-scrolling might throw people off)
Rewards: 3x Ten Coins; 2x 1ups.
Description: Having pillaged Dry-Dry Desert for treasure, Mario spends his ill-gotten gains on an old-fashioned steam train ride home. Nice and peaceful, the brochure said. Sadly, layoffs at Bowser Inc. due to castle construction difficulties mean the train is staffed with enemy minions! Can Mario survive the 24-hour trip?

PS: Any likes will be reciprocated. If you'd like me to play a specific level, let me know your maker name and the level.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Endless mode kind of sucks. Easy is piss easy (up to 120 something with 99 lives). Normal is a bunch of trial and error crap (puzzles with deaths or stuck I’d mess up, pipes that dump you in a pit etc) that doesn’t let me build up lives to figure them out.

Jae Mara

Heys! Just dropping in my puzzler level if anyone has the interest. My first level, probably overly complicated for what I initially set out to do. SMW "The Hallowed Helmet Halls" QV3-Q5W-VJG

Going to try and get through some of Gafs finest now!

sintj_

Neo Member
Hi guys, i'll drop my level here: Hi! 5JS-1WG-CGG
It's a classic hard level with SMB3 skin! Hope you'll enjoy!

Shaqazooloo

Course upload limit is now 64.

Simbabbad

First, a level with a gimmick: in Super Recto/Verso Land, taking a door takes you behind the level - therefore, every area without solid blocks or backdrops are strictly symmetrical, and the others have differences you have to use to beat the level.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BSuper%2BRecto%2BVerso%2BLand.png

And then, two very different castle levels, the first being very fast and speedrun oriented, the second one being longer with careful and meticulous gameplay.

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BCastle%2BExpress.png

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BStone%252C%2BFire%252C%2BSpikes%2Band%2BMagic.png

Simbabbad

Very surprised to see this topic is dead... is there another thread for level sharing, or is nobody playing this game?

Anyway, here's a castle in homage to Pac-Man:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BA%2BCastle%2Bin%2BPac-Land.png

It's about coin collection with a boss in the end.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Very surprised to see this topic is dead... is there another thread for level sharing, or is nobody playing this game?

Anyway, here's a castle in homage to Pac-Man:

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BA%2BCastle%2Bin%2BPac-Land.png

It's about coin collection with a boss in the end.
I'm too busy with Fire Emblem, I don't know about everybody else.

Did my first level, it was supposed to be an enigma one but maybe the gameplay difficulty is making it too hard and/or boring, would be nice to see some feedback!

X6T-7C2-LTG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

It’s just GAF post the 2017 exodus. Few game OTs get steady traffic as most of the people who liked chatting about the games they are playing went to Era or elsewhere it seems. It’s the game news/speculation/latest gaming controversy, console warring/sales etc threads that get the most activity. Basically stuff where people can argue generates activity, positive chat about what you're playing threads tend to flounder a bit (and that seems to be an internet wide thing rather than GAF specific, it's just more noticeable on slower forums).

That said, I have been popping in and playing a lot of levels (less lately due to Fire Emblem) you and others have been posting and liking them in game. I don’t make levels so I’m not posting. So keep bumping the thread as I’m sure others are lurking and playing levels and not posting in the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Simbabbad

Final version of my Old School Super Mario series:

Old School Super Mario (Plains)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Plains%2529.png

The first level in the series mixes different early level archetypes, 1-1 of course, 1-2 and 4-1. It allows different styles of play and different routes. I corrected it to be more welcoming and enjoyable by newcomers.

Old School Super Mario (Cliffs)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Cliffs%2529.png

The second level pays homage to cliff levels (1-3), "bridges and fishes" levels (2-3), and a bit of 2-2 (underwater). It's still very classic, but I exploited the different SMM behaviour of Cheep Cheeps for a fun mechanic: will you fight or will you flee, will you risk going to lower areas to grab powerups? I corrected enemy placement at the end.

Old School Super Mario (Outpost)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Outpost%2529.png

The third level pays homage to the later levels of Super Mario Bros. so it's challenging, with precision required, but it's still very manageable. It has secrets if you want to mess around a bit. I improved it by removing unnecessary enemies and improving flow.

Old School Super Mario (Castle)

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BOld%2BSchool%2BSuper%2BMario%2B%2528Castle%2529.png

And finally, the final level, a Castle level of course, here again paying homage to the later castle levels in the original Super Mario Bros. ("puzzle"/"Ghost House" part included). It hasn't been changed since its first edition.

It may not look like it, but it's actually hard to make classic original Super Mario Bros. levels in Super Mario Maker, because you have to understand how they work, and translate that into Super Mario Maker physics, which are totally different from classic Super Mario Bros. physics.

Gifmaker

It may not look like it, but it's actually hard to make classic original Super Mario Bros. levels in Super Mario Maker, because you have to understand how they work, and translate that into Super Mario Maker physics, which are totally different from classic Super Mario Bros. physics.
Cool stuff, I played through all four stages and liked them. I can relate to your struggle, as I also prefer the classic style of Mario levels and no, it is not an easy task to replicate those. I think you did a very good job overall, even though you tend to overuse enemies / obstacles a little too much to feel like an official level. Still very cool effort whatsoever, I like levels that are not all kaizo oder autotune or anything. Keep it up and thanks for sharing!

Simbabbad

New Super Luigi U is probably my favourite Super Mario game, so I published a remake of one of its levels:

Remake of Wendy's Thwomp Castle PM2-FD6-QMF

Super%2BMario%2BMaker%2BStage%2B%2528niveau%2Bou%2Blevel%2529%2BRemake%2Bof%2BWendy%2527s%2BThwomp%2BCastle.png

It's definitely speedrun-oriented, level design has been made to be as smooth as possible if you want to hurry.

@ Gifmaker Gifmaker : thank you! I used classic enemies and obstacles because I wanted in this series to stick strictly to classic Super Mario Bros. NES design. You can check my other levels that take more liberties while keeping with general Super Mario rules.

Last edited:
It feels like its been awhile since I've been on Gaf, I wouldn't dare come on after this long without posting a new level, a slick speedrun SMB-R 1-6 S-L-I-D-E! is now up and was designed with pure fast fun in mind. If you're a fan of comprehensive sliding levels, give it a shot and let me know what you thought!

yAfsgWah.jpg

nowhat

So, this may have been answered, but I feel lazy... I've been considering picking this up for my daughter - I can't seem to get her interested in programming, but it'd be nice to get her something that's not purely consuming entertainment. This might fit the bill.

The question is, can one access user-generated content without an online subscription? It's not that the subscription is that expensive, but I feel the offering is so thin at the moment that I don't want to support it.

RPS37

Been having so much fun watching Patrick Klepek do Mario Maker Mornings on YouTube but I haven’t touched the game in weeks myself.

Top Bottom