• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker 2 |OT|:- Kaizo or Casual? Who cares! Let's Create, Play and Share!

pimentel1

Banned
What sort of unlockables are there for the level creator?

I found another part. If you 100% story mode, you get the super hammer for course creator:
8EutN0j.jpg

Last edited:
What does it do?

Power-Up that turns Mario into Builder Mario in the 3D World tileset, he can break any block with his hammer and can summon and throw up to 5 boxes and stack them on top of each other and throw them around. He easily kills the tougher enemies like the boss mobs easier than other forms.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Loving it so far, but man the multiplayer online is laggy garbage right now. Will wait for a patch before I even think of trying that again.

Patch might not help that. Problem with Switch online is many are on bad wifi as they're playing in handheld or table top mode and even docked you have to buy a usb-->ethernet adapter to play wired.

ZeroGravity

W46-LYD-GTG - Sawmill Scramble - NSMB
LBY-FX5-BTG - Shipyard Scuffle - SWM
VX4-MKB-77G - Clear Pipe Castle - SM3DW

First three stages I've made. Two of them are ones I remade from my MM1 courses, and one trying out the new 3D World style. I typically like to make more traditional Mario courses without any bullshit so if that's what you're looking for, feel free to check them out.

pimentel1

Banned
W46-LYD-GTG - Sawmill Scramble - NSMB
LBY-FX5-BTG - Shipyard Scuffle - SWM
VX4-MKB-77G - Clear Pipe Castle - SM3DW

First three stages I've made. Two of them are ones I remade from my MM1 courses, and one trying out the new 3D World style. I typically like to make more traditional Mario courses without any bullshit so if that's what you're looking for, feel free to check them out.

will try tomorrow.

Shaqazooloo

Making levels in handheld mode without a stylus isn't as bad as I thought it would be, managed to finish my first level, but haven't uploaded it yet.

The story mode is pretty fun and has given me a few idea's for levels, i'm only 26% through but i'm slowly working at it.

The multiplayer modes are... ok, I had a good time despite two major flaws with it. I'm not sure what Nintendo was thinking with Co-op multiplayer. Why isn't there a tag for it specifically and why don't the Multiplayer modes prioritize the levels with multiplayer in them? I got quite a few levels that ended up being broken because only one player could get through and you can't completely reset the level either, so you either give up and leave or run the timer out. I also don't understand why theirs no option to keep the same players after a level, you never know when you'll get a group with decent connections, which brings me to this...
Loving it so far, but man the multiplayer online is laggy garbage right now. Will wait for a patch before I even think of trying that again.
Horrific lag in some cases, while I can deal with it in most cases, I hate how sluggish the whole experience is. Most times when I finished a level it took a solid 30 seconds (one minute in a particularly bad case) before I got to the results screen.

Overall the multiplayer feels like they slapped on their in a week and thought it was a job well done. I really hope they fix it.

Some of the popular switch block levels are so creative. It's great when you actually play a well paced, creative, non-sadist level.

Robin64

One of my original Mario Maker courses was a vertical level, but we all know you couldn't do those properly back then. So in an effort to get to grips with creating with the pad, I figured I'd port it over to the new proper vertical system while tweaking it a little.

Haunted Sawblade Ascent: 1K5-WHL-81G

Tapioka

Neo Member
Haunted Sawblade Ascent: 1K5-WHL-81G

Not bad, I had fun! I died in the last room though, while trying to access that small bit of clouds that seems out of reach. Not sure if that's a secret... And then I noticed I had to replay the whole thing from the beginning because there were no checkpoints. That's the one thing I would improve, put a checkpoint in there somewhere :).

My only one so far: 3J8-5HM-BVG. I'm a terrible judge when it comes to difficulty, but I guess it will eventually be put into Expert category. No unfair bullshit though.

pimentel1

Banned
Beat the rest of story mode and did every job. Found no other items then the flower and hammer.

Juke Joint Jezebel Juke Joint Jezebel Good vertical level. The bullet bill got me.

Robin64 Robin64 nice design! no deaths. really fun, especially dodging saw blades while climbing moving vine.

ZeroGravity ZeroGravity that clear pipe castle was badass. Did not know you could sink pipes into the lava.

Shipyard Scuffle was interesting. Felt there was a lot more for me to explore. beat it in 1.59 minutes.

Sawmill scramble felt like a real super mario level. Good shit.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
i'd like to see some well designed shit in this, the sadist levels get boring after a while
This guy might be worth keeping an eye on. He's levels are quite well designed, no bullshit, just classic style Mario levels.

Here's one of his courses: 4T2-N3K-GPF

Tapioka

Neo Member
Two levels made by me!

3NB-PW3-MLG: Night time NSMBU, not very difficult, probably Normal category in endless mode.

9TY-D6G-TGF: More challenging, lava castle SMW style. Expert category most likely.

Both are pretty classic, no weird bullshit that kills you without having time to react. Thanks for playing, if anyone decides to do so!

Two levels made by me!

3NB-PW3-MLG: Night time NSMBU, not very difficult, probably Normal category in endless mode.

9TY-D6G-TGF: More challenging, lava castle SMW style. Expert category most likely.

Both are pretty classic, no weird bullshit that kills you without having time to react. Thanks for playing, if anyone decides to do so!

Found a flaw with the latter level, if you kick the bomb down the pit and it detonates off-screen, you can't get another bomb once you jump down, leaving you with a failstate, locking you out of beating the level. Might be worth slapping a pipe that slowly spawns in bombs in the pit!

Tapioka

Neo Member
Thanks for the reply!

I thought about that, but eventually settled for no second try. The checkpoint is right up there in front of the bomb, so you can kill yourself and try again immediately if you don't get it on the first try (few people will I guess). I realize it's pretty unforgiving this way, but with the checkpoint it shouldn't be frustrating. I want that spot to be a "I better get this right" place and not a "I'll wait until I get a perfect setup" situation. That's also the one part of the level that made me think "If i get any replies at all about this stage, it's gonna be the bomb section". I thought about it a lot (what am I doing with my life lol), but I'll leave it as it is. Thanks again though!

DryvBy

Can some people try this out and tell me if there's any issues? I seem to have a harder time with people locating my levels randomly than I did with the original MM. All of my levels in the original had thousands of plays.
JJxIBjC.jpg

Last edited:

Tapioka

Neo Member
Fixed it lol.

Is there a setting that's not allowing my levels to appear in rotation? I have no hits.

Found it and beat it! Pretty challenging, but luckily it's pretty short. The Thwomp part in the beginning was actually the worst part, it felt like it took a bit too long (or I did it wrong and there was some way to bypass those guys faster than by swimming).

Don't think there's a setting for level rotation. It took my levels a few hours too before some people finally played it. Maybe Nintendo doesn't put them into the rotation right away after uploading.

Ceadeus

Hi, would anyone try my first level? No one played it yet since yesterday :/ it would be appreciated.

PRW-5NC-G0H

It is called Sandy Salami Sandwich. thank you! :)

ZeroGravity

Fixed it lol.

Is there a setting that's not allowing my levels to appear in rotation? I have no hits.
From what I've gathered you need someone to play your level before it gets put into rotation. My levels were untouched until I posted them here and some people played them, and then the plays started pouring in after.

Trippy

WNV-JMH-1RG

Not my course, but once I’ve sank over 100 attempts on. Only one person has cleared it.

It’s taking years off my life continually trying.

And I thought Tubular on the original SMW was hard!

xandaca

Does anyone know if you get anything for completing all the jobs in story mode (aka going beyond just finishing the castle)? I'll probably do them eventually, but it'd be good to know if there's anything worth making a concerted effort for.

Anyway, here's my first level. Happy to reciprocate any likes, though I only really enjoy playing traditional levels (aka: no kaizo, troll, auto-play, music, puzzle, etc.). Reply with your level code and maker name and I'll give them a try.

Bell Tree Plains

Code:
T1H-RPY-61G

Style: 3D World

Difficulty: Easy

Description: A 1-1 style level with 5x Ten Coins and 1x 1up Mushroom to collect. Emphasis on exploration and fun rather than difficulty.

Does anyone know if you get anything for completing all the jobs in story mode (aka going beyond just finishing the castle)? I'll probably do them eventually, but it'd be good to know if there's anything worth making a concerted effort for.

Anyway, here's my first level. Happy to reciprocate any likes, though I only really enjoy playing traditional levels (aka: no kaizo, troll, auto-play, music, puzzle, etc.). Reply with your level code and maker name and I'll give them a try.

Bell Tree Plains

Code:
T1H-RPY-61G

Style: 3D World

Difficulty: Easy

Description: A 1-1 style level with 5x Ten Coins and 1x 1up Mushroom to collect. Emphasis on exploration and fun rather than difficulty.

Mii costumes, Builder Mario power up for 3D World, and Mario Land fireball power-up for all the other themes. Gave the level a try, it's fun to speedrun through too, just set the current record!

xandaca

Mii costumes, Builder Mario power up for 3D World, and Mario Land fireball power-up for all the other themes. Gave the level a try, it's fun to speedrun through too, just set the current record!

Sounds like I've unlocked everything that matters already. Thanks for playing my level, glad you and Tapioka enjoyed it. I hadn't planned it for speedrunning, but whatever works, works!

Elsewhere, just spent all day planning out a level with two paths, one above the other, where people in multiplayer could mess with anyone on the other path using On/Off switches (single players could just go through as normal). Unfortunately, the limit on the number of outline blocks (the ones affected by the On/Off blocks) seems insanely low. I'd be amazed if I placed more than thirty in total, which is virtually none when you're building a significant part of the level around them. Back to the drawing board.

I'll never touch the level editor or multiplayer, but I was intrigued enough by the single player to pick it up. It's been a long ass time since I've played a 2D Mario, last one was probably the 1st NSMB on the ds.
Looking forward to see what kind of crazy shit people can do with the editor.

pimentel1

Banned
Just uploaded by my first level:

Operation: Save Yoshi

3VM-6XV-TQF

Yoshi’s trapped in the cave below! Time’s short! Resources spare! Save him!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Perhaps the most exciting bit is that the sequel launching with the Switch successor will surely be Super Mario Maker 3D... wonder if they will limit to SM64 tileset or if they will just leave all the 2D titles back (hopefully Switch 2 is BC with Switch) and you will have SM64, SM3DW, SMO... and maybe Galaxy or Sunshine?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Just been messing about with my first level. It's quite short but I keep dying! I can't always get to the end. Also I'm gonna put either a 40-50s timer on it. I can do it with about 8 seconds to spare on 50s so probably gonna go with 40 because I suck and other people will no doubt be able to do it much better.

Gonna work on it a bit more then I'll share it.

Tapioka

Neo Member
Perhaps the most exciting bit is that the sequel launching with the Switch successor will surely be Super Mario Maker 3D... wonder if they will limit to SM64 tileset or if they will just leave all the 2D titles back (hopefully Switch 2 is BC with Switch) and you will have SM64, SM3DW, SMO... and maybe Galaxy or Sunshine?

I'm not sure about that. Editiing in 3D is much more difficult than making relatively simple 2D levels. I have yet to see an editor for a 3D Jump'n'Run (or any 3D game for that matter) that comes even close to the ease of use Mario Maker offers. The average consumer would never get even one simple level working. It might be different if they focus on a 3D World style, which is more "blocky" and traditional and not as free roaming as Mario 64 or Odyssey or so. Maybe they could manage that somehow, but Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine, Odyssey? No chance.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not sure about that. Editiing in 3D is much more difficult than making relatively simple 2D levels. I have yet to see an editor for a 3D Jump'n'Run (or any 3D game for that matter) that comes even close to the ease of use Mario Maker offers. The average consumer would never get even one simple level working. It might be different if they focus on a 3D World style, which is more "blocky" and traditional and not as free roaming as Mario 64 or Odyssey or so. Maybe they could manage that somehow, but Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine, Odyssey? No chance.

One must dream of Nintendo’s magic applied on making an easy to use guided SM64 level builder :).

Shaqazooloo

C2P-S9G-1LG: Snowy Shove Off (Super Mario 3D World)

Very easy and (in my opinion) relaxing level. I like how chill the snow theme is, so I aimed for something that could possibly pass for a regular Mario game.

I probably should've used the Multiplayer versus tag tbh but oh well.

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Um, I'm pretty sure I watched a stream with two people doing local co-op...

Edit: Oh it was a joke, sorry.

Last edited:

pimentel1

Banned
C2P-S9G-1LG: Snowy Shove Off (Super Mario 3D World)

Very easy and (in my opinion) relaxing level. I like how chill the snow theme is, so I aimed for something that could possibly pass for a regular Mario game.

I probably should've used the Multiplayer versus tag tbh but oh well.

Fun level. Found a minor glitch. When you take the warp box after killing the bully outside, bully comes back once you take warp box back. So the counter went from 2 bullies killed to 1 I believe. But definitely fun and relaxing.

Shaqazooloo

Fun level. Found a minor glitch. When you take the warp box after killing the bully outside, bully comes back once you take warp box back. So the counter went from 2 bullies killed to 1 I believe. But definitely fun and relaxing.
Thanks, didn't notice that in my runs through the level. Is their a way to update my level without deleting it?

pimentel1

Banned
Thanks, didn't notice that in my runs through the level. Is their a way to update my level without deleting it?

I think you have to reupload it, but it’s so minor that I wouldn’t worry about it considering there are more than enough bullies in the level. It was for me, “Hey, the bully’s back!” which in a way, makes it more fun to kill it again.

DryvBy

From what I've gathered you need someone to play your level before it gets put into rotation. My levels were untouched until I posted them here and some people played them, and then the plays started pouring in after.
I'm gonna start playing people's stuff then to help em.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man Level 45 Lava Rising in story mode was a pain. Kind of BS to as there wasn’t a clear indication that
the lava would recede if you waited in the middle of the last section. I kept trying to go faster and you can’t make it that way.
was getting super salty until I checked a video online.

Top Bottom