• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Galaxy is the BOTW of Mario games.

RCU005

With the 3D collection releasing, and looking at all 3D Mario games together, you can really see how above and beyond Nintendo went with Super Mario Galaxy.

There are other two amazing 3D Mario games: Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Odyssey, however, they don't get to the level of epicness that was SMG.

Super Mario 64 revolutionized 3D platformers with the very precise controls and free camera. It set an example of how to do 3D games.

Super Mario Galaxy took Mario to new levels of epicness in music, level design and scale. Everything felt epic, huge, well done, you really felt inside an adventure. The completely new music and orchestration of classic melodies elevated that feeling even further.

Many people seem to like Odyssey better, because it's more sandbox and a return to openness within worlds. However, while of course the game has its epic moments (New Donk City Festival is an all-time high for Mario series), to me, it felt like more like a collection-job of moons, more than you need to do great things to EARN a moon. There were very few moons that you feel like you actually earn and not just stumble upon them. While the worlds were varied, they didn't feel as epic as many galaxies in Super Mario Galaxy.

3D World is just a 3D-fication of New Super Mario series, which was also great. (IMO, better than Odyssey).

That's why I say, that the Mario game to beat is Super Mario Galaxy. It changed many things about the fundamentals of Mario, but at the same time stayed very familiar.

I wonder what Nintendo will do next, but it feels like it will take much more to really surpass the quality (overall) of Super Mario Galaxy.

Tranquil

I'm excited to play Galaxy for the first time. I was very underwhelmed by Odyssey when I played it last year.

Self

I would agree that Galaxy is the best Mario after 64. But there are still fuckers out there who prefer Galaxy 2. Odyseey is nothing revolutionary but still true to the series.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I gotta agree mostly. Particularly after Mario Sunshine, which is a fine game and I'm excited-ish to replay it whenever I eventually get around to getting this collection, but when you play it between 64 and Galaxy you can see a lot of the faults more clearly.

I do like Galaxy 2 more, but it's almost not worth counting them as separate games. Really wish it was in the collection too.

jaysius

Banned
I was not a fan of Galaxy's bite sized chunks they really sucked, I prefer an expansive place to roam like in Odyssey.
What I didn't like about Odyssey is that there are far too many moons and many of them are more "attaboys" for generation ADHD than hard earned moons.

Galaxy was a much narrower focused game than many people realize.

Breath of the Wild was a freer but not as great Zelda game with the series' worse bosses and most awful dungeons. I expected that connection in this thread... not where it actually went.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I prefer 3D Land and World for kind of the opposite reason: getting back to the basics. I like all the 3D Marios besides Sunshine, but I really respect how 3DW in particular feels like the perfect marriage between classic and modern Mario. I felt like it was a long time coming.

ExpandKong

Banned
I was not a fan of Galaxy's bite sized chunks they really sucked, I prefer an expansive place to roam like in Odyssey.
What I didn't like about Odyssey is that there are far too many moons and many of them are more "attaboys" for generation ADHD than hard earned moons.

Galaxy was a much narrower focused game than many people realize.

Oh no it's definitely more focused, that's part of the appeal to me (same for 3D Land, really). The space setting and crazy visuals kind of belie the basic point A - point B nature of each star you get. It's almost more like one of the 2D games than it is Mario 64 or Sunshine, in that respect.

carlosrox

Banned
In the sense that it's one of the top games in the series, perhaps the best if it had some tweaks? I agree.

Galaxy 2 gets too much credit for being a level pack with a poor presentation. Face Ship? Lubba? Yeah, no thanks.

Galaxy 1 and 3D World are still the best Mario games to me.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Galaxy 1 is perfection IMO. I think my favorite 3d Mario. Galaxy 2 is great but the lack of a hub world and story hurt it

-Arcadia-

Banned
I feel the same, but I like Odyssey a lot more than you do, OP.

But Galaxy is the SMB3 of 3D Mario, I feel like. Just a once-in-a-lifetime tornado of creativity, skill, ideas, and people that created something that’s so much of a joy to play, so special, it will forever stand apart.

Neff

Nah.

It's a great game but it's a significant step back from 64's level of sophistication and even Sunshine's in many ways.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think OP was making the comparison in terms of quality, and widespread reception, as well as critical response.

He isn’t so much saying that both games are similar in any way, as he is pointing to them being high points of their respective series.

SegaShack

It must be devastating for Shigeru Miyamoto to put all this work into a game like Mario Galaxy, and New Super Mario Bros Wii outperformed it on a nearly ten to one ratio.

I agree , galaxy was great. I already per-ordered this just for that and never played sunshine. mario64, played some on emulator and it was kinda crap. Then again, i think most n64 games were crap with no texture resolution as it was.

Now as for odyessy, that game was good but man it felt very short, like half the length of any mario game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is 3d world any good? I haven't played it. I loved the 3ds 3d land , is it like that, (screenshots show it to be a bit) . That game rocked. Probably the best mario game since smb3 / mario world, imo.
Personally I think 3D World is the best 3D Mario. I love the platforming and the 8-way control. Some people despised it.

Top Bottom