• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Movie Restoration Adds 20 Minutes Of Deleted Scenes

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

For years now, Super Mario Bros. The Movie Archive has been working to obtain and restore a bunch of deleted scenes from Nintendo’s 1993 disaster. That work is now largely done, leaving us with a sort of “director’s cut” of the film that runs for 20 minutes longer than the original.

Super Mario Bros: The Morton Jankel Cut is now available for viewing on The Internet Archive, and doesn’t just throw the deleted scenes in there. Those scenes were found on an old VHS and were in terrible shape, so each had to be painstakingly restored by editor and artist Garrett Gilchrist.

Some of them add some welcome context to existing scenes, while others are remnants of a more teen/adult vision for the movie, like the club dancing scene here:

You can watch the movie here: https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs

And hey, that’s not all. There’s also a commentary video below that’ll take you through each of the deleted scenes, while also showing you just how much nicer the restoration job was.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I’m curious. The movie was shit but the story was SO good. The asteroid not killing the dinosaurs but sending them to an alternative dimension where they continued to evolve in parallel to primates. I’d love to see this story retold in a non-Mario vehicle. As a huge sci-fi, dinosaur and biological evolution buff I love this shit.

Last edited:
This movie is nowhere near as bad as people say it is, if this movie had a different title it would have been better received. I'm not saying it's an incredible film, but it's not absolute garbage.
Uhm what. If anything, I think it's even worse than people say. It's mind-numbingly stupid and very hard to even finish watching for me.

Impotaku

What the movie needed was to be cancelled. It's utter shite not even the late great mr Hoskins could save it from how bad it was. Sometimes i wonder if people like this because youtube nobodies told them to like it's some hidden "gem" that was overlooked.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I am absolutely going to watch this cut this weekend.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
20 minutes more to this masterpiece...what could go wrong?
jennifer lawrence everything GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My son: "Hey, I heard you're watching a movie tonight..." (gets all excited because he usually likes watching movies with the old man)

Me: "Yeah, it's the Super Mario Bros movie from 1993, the Morton Jankel Cut"

My son: (obviously disappointed) "Oh..."

gamer82

Your not missing anything it does t add anything of importance to the movie it feels like clips are just inserted for no reason. It’s still terrible 😢

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhere between this movie, Judge Dredd, Demolition Man, Total Recall, and The Fifth Element lies the perfect 90s future-steam-cyber-punk movie.

Also I miss when people's vision of the future featured lots of trash, dirt, wires, and spare parts everywhere.

Holy fuck, I made it maybe 10 minutes in before I hit the scene where John leguizomo is asking out the moderately attractive looking 90s chick while Bob Hoskins leers on in approval. I’d forgotten this movie and am glad to see that it’s still a horror show to behold! I suppose I shall watch on…. I don’t understand how a kids property was turned into this. I have two kids and never in hell will I disclose to them that this movie exists. (I assume nintendo feels similarly).

MisterHero

It used to be a guilty pleasure but I couldn't ignore the stories of actors getting almost severely injured and the like. I still like it but it's not in an a secret cult way. It's a miracle that anything worked at all. I genuinely like Mario and Luigi dialoguing though.

Only watched the first 15 minutes so far, but I can't decide if I like the removal of the Mario Paint-animated intro. I'll watch the rest later but I imagine it's mostly extended shots and not whole scenes.

Last edited:

jshackles

I actually really legitimately liked this version of the movie better than the original cut. The extra context added here is great and sorely needed.

The only thing worse was the claymation intro, it was missing Bob Hoskin's great into narration otherwise it would have been fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom