• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 has been ported to Windows

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo would LOVE to make $ off of these mods.
Go the extra mile and call it "Super Mario 64 Maker".

Back in May, we informed you about the release of a native DX12 version of Super Mario 64 for the PC that is available for download. And today, we are happy to report that there are some new mods that you can use with it.

The first mod adds new retro HD models for a number of objects. This is something that a lot of Super Mario 64 fans will find interesting. After all, it will improve the game’s graphics and will retain its original art style.

First video wouldn't look out of place on Gamecube.
Certainly would have been a better choice of platform than the DS remake we got.

Last edited:

Unreal

New Super Mario 64 PC mods add retro HD models, fix Mario’s HD model head glitch

Back in May, we informed you about the release of a native DX12 version of Super Mario 64 for the PC that is available for download. And today, we are happy to report that there are some new mods that you can use with it.

The first mod adds new retro HD models for a number of objects. This is something that a lot of Super Mario 64 fans will find interesting. After all, it will improve the game’s graphics and will retain its original art style.

The second mod features a fix for Mario’s HD model head glitch. This glitch occurred when using the HD model for Mario alongside the 60fps patch. Thus, we suggest downloading if you already use these two mods.

The third mod is Hypatia’s Mario Craft 64. This texture pack adds new HD textures for a papel craft look.

Lastly, here is a video showing you how to compile Super Mario 64 PC Port using a GUI.

As always, we won’t be linking directly to the unofficial PC version of Super Mario 64. Still, I’m pretty sure that by now most of you have figured out how to download it. We won’t also allow comments with pirated content, so you’ve been warned.

Kudos to “Unreal” for sharing these videos with us!

Source: DSOG

CamHostage

Interesting (but obvious) the things they can and cannot add easily to this build. They can change the models, for instance, but those models have to follow the same animation routine calls and so when Mario yawns or speaks, his lips don't make any motion (unless they customize it) because the animation is all pantomime or in the eye textures. Or they can squeeze a lot more of new detail into the textures but they still need to stamp them into the same repeating texture blocks because the game is going to keep looking for the same texture over and over, whether the resolution of that block is 240x220 or 2,4000x2,2000.

Should be interesting to see how far this PC version gets pushed as it goes along; I already really like the mods so far.

(That said, I do understand those people who don't like the original material swapped out with what some modder thinks looks better; the AI-upscaled texture work is probably the best solution to improving upon but still employing the original, although even in that case, the AI intentionally smooths out things that should probably be soft, like the cloud textures on the castle walls.)

KrVrzsM.jpg

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
"better"? That DS control scheme was atrocious.
Eh. Still managed to get all 150 stars it helps with a 3ds analogue stick if you really hate the dpad feel. But after 10 min or so i really didn’t mind. Better then playing a real n64 thats for sure. I think out of 6 gamepads no stick is good here

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Eh. Still managed to get all 150 stars it helps with a 3ds analogue stick if you really hate the dpad feel. But after 10 min or so i really didn’t mind. Better then playing a real n64 thats for sure. I think out of 6 gamepads no stick is good here

I would love to replay the DS game but with proper analog control. I tried it once but couldnt do it. Hopefully with all these mods tehy can do that one day.

stranno

2mBafda.gif

Current WiiU status. It's "playable" (I'm sure far enough for an speedrunner) and performance is completely stable at 1080p@60FPS.
Edit: There are textures already ( ノ ゚ー゚)ノ☀️

Last edited:

stranno

Current WiiU performance.

If you compiled the previous executable you should do it again. AboodXD have used precompiled shaders (instead of real time compilation) for performance reasons. He used a 120 stars TAS in order to get all the shaders and he missed the metal and vanish Marios. Now all shaders have been added.

MagnesG

Banned
Man, imagine if Nintendo had some ambitions for one of their most beloved games ever. But no, have another low-res letterboxed 30fps ROM dump.
To be fair they are also busy creating new games, the IP is as healthy as fuck too. It's called priorities.

Elysion

Banned
I‘m a bit confused; aren‘t emulators on PC already capable of running older console games at higher resolutions and/or fps? I distinctly remember seeing threads on GAF and elsewhere where people were showing off lots of high-res screenshots of PS1, N64, PS2 or Gamecube games. Are those done on a game-by-game basis, or do those emulators work universally for all (or most) games of the system they‘re emulating?

I was under the impression that emulation on PC had progressed to a point where by now the vast majority of games from the first six console generations run at super high resolutions without any problems.

D.Final

Banned
I‘m a bit confused; aren‘t emulators on PC already capable of running older console games at higher resolutions and/or fps? I distinctly remember seeing threads on GAF and elsewhere where people were showing off lots of high-res screenshots of PS1, N64, PS2 or Gamecube games. Are those done on a game-by-game basis, or do those emulators work universally for all (or most) games of the system they‘re emulating?

I was under the impression that emulation on PC had progressed to a point where by now the vast majority of games from the first six console generations run at super high resolutions without any problems.

Well..
It's more complicated, i suppose

Soodanim

Thanks for posting these Unreal Unreal , these are really good. I didn’t expect this to happen to the game, I thought it would be texture packs and resolutions and that would be it.

Elysion Elysion i don’t think you can do what these mods have done without access to native code. These are fundamental changes to the game as we know it outside of resolution settings.

Soodanim

While the modern stuff looks great for the most part, I can't help but notice a couple things where they're changed for seemingly no reason. Penguin looks more goofy than she needs to, door numbers are now tiny, and bowser is a different colour*. That said, I'd still play that version in a heartbeat.

*I know modern Bowser is that colour, so that one gets a pass

Last edited:
Top Bottom