• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 has been ported to Windows

stranno

It is not emulation, the game has been ported to Windows.

According to some sources, the recent leak of the N64/GC/Wii SDK contributed to this. It could also be the decompiled code of the last year.

I guess the source of this is against the rules, so I cant put any link :-/

Bullet Club

Nude patch hopefully.
We already know what Mario looks like nude.

KeqQS53.jpg

McCheese

How do we know that it's not emulation. Any evidence?

It's the decompiled version with the Ultralib stuff replaced with SDL2, which isn't that much work compared to the amount of effort which went into the initial decompilation which was a 3 year project, but this is the first person who's been mad enough to actually distribute an exe which is where the streamers are getting it from.

Someone also made a Windows 95 build using DirectX "for the luls" which I tried out a few weeks ago.

As it's built from the source, in theory someone could put in the work to half all the physics / speeds and lock the game to 60 instead of 30. Weird to think we'll probably have an unofficial PC HD port of the game before the rumoured Switch versions even are announced.

Nintendont etc.

Last edited:

McCheese

Would love to see this be completed:

I guess that depends on which direction you want to see a Mario 64 remake take.

The source code really shows it was one of Nintendo's first 3D games, there is a lot of low-level code jank and the way the N64 natively renders graphics means the entire graphics loop is a bit alien by modern standards, it puts these tiny textures into super-fast memory one at a time then declares the model geometry within a procedural function which is executed by the graphics chip.

The result is that it's going to be quite hard to modernize it, there is no standard "model" files as such to swap out, so you would need to write tools to convert back and forth and simulating the old rendering method on modern hardware is incredibly inefficient. So you would really just have to throw a big chunk of code away and start from scratch with a more typical modern render pipeline.

Another approach is to take an already known engine like Unreal, and then replicate the bits you want to keep - so the physics, movement, AI, scripting behaviour etc. But even if you did all this it wouldn't quite feel like Mario 64, Unreal engine does have its own way of doing things which in some cases you cannot override, and contradict how Mario 64 originally handled stuff (i.e. frame-pacing, responsiveness, animation tweening etc).

My 2 cents is I would like people to run with the decompiled code and start from there, so it's a sort of spiritual revision 3 of Mario 64.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I guess that depends on which direction you want to see a Mario 64 remake take.

The source code really shows it was one of Nintendo's first 3D games, there is a lot of low-level code jank and the way the N64 natively renders graphics means the entire graphics loop is a bit alien by modern standards, it puts these tiny textures into super-fast memory one at a time then declares the model geometry within a procedural function which is executed by the graphics chip.

The result is that it's going to be quite hard to modernize it, there is no standard "model" files as such to swap out, so you would need to write tools to convert back and forth and simulating the old rendering method on modern hardware is incredibly inefficient. So you would really just have to throw a big chunk of code away and start from scratch with a more typical modern render pipeline.

Another approach is to take an already known engine like Unreal, and then replicate the bits you want to keep - so the physics, movement, AI, scripting behaviour etc. But even if you did all this it wouldn't quite feel like Mario 64, Unreal engine does have its own way of doing things which in some cases you cannot override, and contradict how Mario 64 originally handled stuff (i.e. frame-pacing, responsiveness, animation tweening etc).

My 2 cents is I would like people to run with the decompiled code and start from there, so it's a sort of spiritual revision 3 of Mario 64.
I would be just happy to see the game use higher res textures, the game is perfect as it is but limitations of the N64 meant the textures were low res and blurry.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Being informed there is a Windows port of SM64, but no supplied link to download.

..What an unbearable Sunday afternoon lockdown cock tease.

nkarafo

Menwhile the uploader claims that this runs better than emulators which i don't see, at leas in this particular video. Looks like it's 30fps just like on emulators/real machine and his claims about input lag are bogus as well.

Stuart360

Its surprising how good N64 games can look when run at much higher resolutions. The same cant be said of Saturn or PS1, which can actually look WORSE at higher resolutions because not only do you still get blocky unfiltered textures, warping, and polygons flickering in and out of existence, but higher resolutions add gaps between polygon seems lol.
I was very young when N64 came out, and not knowing tech at the time, i thought it 'must be some new kind of movie style tech'. Little did i know that it was just filtered textures and correct perspective polygons. The N64 was basically the first console to do modern graphics, just way worse compared to today.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"runs better than emulation"
How?

Not all the games runs that good on a emulator, so a port could be the best choice for those games. Mario 64 is not one of these. People in the early 2000's was running Mario 64 smooth. One can even argue that sounds better because of development manbo-jambo, but maybe that's it

Maybe Jet Force Gemini is the better choice. Microsoft will probably never release a port of the Xbox version...

JimboJones

Its surprising how good N64 games can look when run at much higher resolutions. The same cant be said of Saturn or PS1, which can actually look WORSE at higher resolutions because not only do you still get blocky unfiltered textures, warping, and polygons flickering in and out of existence, but higher resolutions add gaps between polygon seems lol.
I was very young when N64 came out, and not knowing tech at the time, i thought it 'must be some new kind of movie style tech'. Little did i know that it was just filtered textures and correct perspective polygons. The N64 was basically the first console to do modern graphics, just way worse compared to today.

Some emulators actually have fixes for the for all those PS1 quirks.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Widescreen and 60 fps, unf...

Hope that the rumoured remake/port is going to at least address these things, but sadly with Nintendo you never quite know what you’re going to get. Could be anything from a worse performing n64 version to a full on remake...

I wish Nintendo would port these games themselves, they're sleeping on easy money here. Fuck'em, if they won't the community will, and Nintendo gets jack shit!

jts

...hate me...
It's the decompiled version with the Ultralib stuff replaced with SDL2, which isn't that much work compared to the amount of effort which went into the initial decompilation which was a 3 year project, but this is the first person who's been mad enough to actually distribute an exe which is where the streamers are getting it from.

Someone also made a Windows 95 build using DirectX "for the luls" which I tried out a few weeks ago.

As it's built from the source, in theory someone could put in the work to half all the physics / speeds and lock the game to 60 instead of 30. Weird to think we'll probably have an unofficial PC HD port of the game before the rumoured Switch versions even are announced.

Nintendont etc.
Doesn’t seem that weird to me. It’s a 20+ year game and out there there’s unlimited man-hours and no business agenda, so if anything can be done it just gets done.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I wish Nintendo would port these games themselves, they're sleeping on easy money here. Fuck'em, if they won't the community will, and Nintendo gets jack shit!

I don't think a PC port of a 1996 game that everyone has played would be a big money maker.

Reactions: jts
I don't think a PC port of a 1996 game that everyone has played would be a big money maker.

You'd be surprised. Before Steam came into the picture, many people used to pirate games. Now Steam is one of the biggest gaming platform there is making millions. If Nintendo did something similar, even if just focusing on their older games, people will flock at the opportunity of repurchasing the games legally, regardless whether they previously played the games or not, nostalgia will surely bring them back.

JSoup

Banned
There are a lot of pretty fun Mario 64 mods and remakes out there. If this will aid in making them easier to access, all for the better.

Kenpachii

It is not emulation, the game has been ported to Windows.

According to some sources, the recent leak of the N64/GC/Wii SDK contributed to this. It could also be the decompiled code of the last year.

I guess the source of this is against the rules, so I cant put any link :-/

Nice mario 64 finally got out of beta testing.

ShadowLag

This is actually amazing, and I can't wait for a fully featured level editor to spring up and totally revitalize SM64!

(Nintendo ninjas will most likely strike everything down really fast though :( )

Scotty W

Gold Member
This reminds me of the fanatical excitement of Tool fans to be able to listen to the same music on Spotify that we have been listening to for 20 years.

Top Bottom