• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 64 DS (2004 Remake) vs. Super Mario 64 (1996 Original)

Fake

7Re3.gif

jts

...hate me...
I don’t like the model used for the DS version and so on, but I have nothing against its existence. I think it’s quite an interesting bit of history, an official ROM hack of sorts.

But the N64 version is the real version.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’ll always take the original, but Mario 64 DS made for a pretty damn fun DS time in late 2004, specifically with the rest of the lineup being (crickets).

Shame we couldn’t get this as an extra on the collection, using a proper analog stick for the first time.

bender

What time is it?
I’ll always take the original, but Mario 64 DS made for a pretty damn fun DS time in late 2004, specifically with the rest of the lineup being (crickets).

Shame we couldn’t get this as an extra on the collection, using a proper analog stick for the first time.

Feel The Magic baby!

Codes 208

Having to hold the d-pad + Y to run automatically makes the n64 version the superior version.

though sm64ds was still a really good game. I always wanted to play as Luigi in sm64 as a kid. So for me it’s a 10/10 vs a 9.5/10

Last edited:

Fake

I still have my Mario 64 DS here. Is a great game, but the lack of analog stick in my DSXL break some of the experience.

Last edited:

TexMex

Always preferred the N64 one. There is more detail in the DS one but it all looks so grainy that I'd just rather have the smoother look of the original.

TheContact

I like the N64 version better for the graphics and the nostalgia, but not gonna lie, having new characters in the DS version was really fun.

I would like to note as some people are already pointing out how bad the d-pad was for this port. The real issue was the momentum and build up of the speed. Making everything feel sluggish and not as responsive as the original. Albeit the d-pad is not a great way to control the game but even the original plays pretty great using one.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I ordered 64 DS, and it arrived with Mario Kart DS in the case. I sent it back and never bothered again. Later I found out that it controlled poorly because of the d-pad, and I wasn't fussed about not playing it despite the novelty of different characters (although from a pessimistic point of view, I read that all that functionally does it locks stars to certain characters).

I'm just bewildered how well they nailed the controls, (most) of the level design, the music and the, albeit primitive, artstyle and thus how enjoyable the game is after 24 years. It's a foundational video game that laid the design groundwork for 3D platformers in their early days, massively influence the genre it basically sparked into existence (i know it's not the first, but this is basically a Wolfestein 3D/Doom situation. Which was the one that jump started the genre?) and which Nintendo themselves gradually improved upon with future releases. It's quite remarkable how well the game holds up.

Reactions: jts

Thurible

64 ds was my first foray into the world of 3d mario titles. I never played the original version, but I was delighted by the ds remake. They added three additional characters (Yoshi, Luigi, and Wario. They all played differently as Yoshi could flutter jump, Luigi could run on water for a second and ran faster, and Wario moved heavier but could break bricks) and thirty more stars. There were additional minigames that made good use of the dual screens and even a multiplayer mode where you chose a stage and try to get more stars than your rivals.

I remember as a kid I heard rumors that Waluigi was hidden in the game and I tried absolutely everything to unlock him. One theory was that on the title screen you could see a hole on Peach's castle that isn't in the game and all you had to do was shoot yourself out of the cannon at that area and he would pop out. I kept shooting muself at the castle walls for gosh knows how long. I guess Wa isn't real 2401 :(

Anyway, I'm excited to play the original and see how it holds up against the ds remake.

I remember as a kid I heard rumors that Waluigi was hidden in the game and I tried absolutely everything to unlock him. One theory was that on the title screen you could see a hole on Peach's castle that isn't in the game and all you had to do was shoot yourself out of the cannon at that area and he would pop out. I kept shooting muself at the castle walls for gosh knows how long. I guess Wa isn't real 2401 :(

That's so funny - we had the same rumor about Luigi being in SM64, along with a playable/usable Yoshi.

It's strange - games like SM64 and OoT and Banjo-Kazooie (all the stuff that was released when I was in primary school) were all full of mystery and rumors. You never hear that anymore about games on forums.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Super Mario 64 DS was a good game but not a good Super Mario 64 game.

Thurible

That's so funny - we had the same rumor about Luigi being in SM64, along with a playable/usable Yoshi.

It's strange - games like SM64 and OoT and Banjo-Kazooie (all the stuff that was released when I was in primary school) were all full of mystery and rumors. You never hear that anymore about games on forums.
I'm pretty sure the rumors were an offshoot of the luigi ones tailored to kids like me who never played the original. It was believable at the time because I was an impressionable (read: gullible) child. To be fair though, there were already characters that could be unlocked in game and the place where you switch between the characters utilizes marked doors, and right next to the character doors is an unmarked blank door similar to the others.

200px-TheDoors.png

This video does a good job showcasing some of the rumors at the time. At the 8:08 mark is the image from the title I was refering to, showing a mysterious window that some speculated there was some sort of secret to it as it wasn't actually in the castle in the game.

Top Bottom