• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World Review Thread

Orta

Banned
2ryecmq.png

Preorder bonus

The guy on here with the sex dungeon has pre-ordered 300 copies.

iconmaster

Banned
I bounced off 3D Mario World hard on the Wii U. Found it slow, floaty and actually a little boring.

I'd love a demo to try and see if the speed increase might make the difference.

I'll probably get this on a $40 black friday type sale down the line , mostly for Bowsers fury though as 3d World was a very meh experience for me. Why can't we get a true successor to Mario 64 ? I'm trying to get into Mario Sunshine lately but wow , his moveset and the camera control is just awful.

dave_d

I'm wondering if it's worth a double dip if you got the WiiU version and then never had time to play it like me. (If something is far enough on my backlog there's a good chance I never get back to it.)

ZoukGalaxy

Prepare yourself with disappointment if you expect a 9 out of 10.

It's so boring in my opinion, I did not even care to finish it on WiiU. Meanwhile, I really enjoyed my time with 3D Land on 3DS, just before the WiiU game.

I had more fun with Sonic and the Lost Levels than this 3D Mario (and I hate 3D Sonic).
It's OK to be wrong. Even so wrong.

Best 3D Mario EVER with Galaxy.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This is probably the only Wii U game I liked. Didnt care for anything else on the Wii U. What a disappointing console.

Anyway, this is far better than Odyssey which feels aimless and like a ubisoft game. This game feels like it has that nintendo magic where you play it with a constant smile on your face. Definitely pick it up if you havent played it.

Gonna pick this up for my son. Is it possible to do crossplay? He has a switch lite and i have a docked switch. Can we play coop with one copy?

Hot take Wednesday around here apparently :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jeeves

Gladly double-dipping at full price for this gem. Go ahead and call me everything that's wrong with Nintendo fans, but I won't be able to hear you over all the fun I'm having (again).

Whatever the case, with hindsight being 20/20, I can fully own up to having had a bad take. Simply put, Super Mario 3D World is the absolute pinnacle of platforming game design. Bowser’s Fury, the bonus, open-world 3D Mario is equally well-crafted whilst filling a different niche.
Wish more people would admit to this. The hate for this game is so bizarre.

Sejan

Mario 3D world really was a great game that was held back by being exclusive to the Wii U. If you are someone that preferred gameplay of the 2D Mario games over the 3D games, then this game is likely for you. The levels really are classic 2D style levels brought to the 3rd dimension.

This is probably the only Wii U game I liked. Didnt care for anything else on the Wii U. What a disappointing console.

Anyway, this is far better than Odyssey which feels aimless and like a ubisoft game. This game feels like it has that nintendo magic where you play it with a constant smile on your face. Definitely pick it up if you havent played it.

Gonna pick this up for my son. Is it possible to do crossplay? He has a switch lite and i have a docked switch. Can we play coop with one copy?
bro whaaaat, did you play mario kart, DKC Tropical freeze, Mario Maker? All 10/10's for me, plus Mario 3D world, captain toad, and many other honorable mentions. wii U was a good console, under appreciated for sure imo

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
bro whaaaat, did you play mario kart, DKC Tropical freeze, Mario Maker? All 10/10's for me, plus Mario 3D world, captain toad, and many other honorable mentions. wii U was a good console, under appreciated for sure imo
i dont know man. i consider all those kiddie games. I bought the Wii U for Zelda, Metroid and hopefully more adult focused stuff from Platinum but got Bayonetta the whore and Wonderful 101 instead.

No zelda and metroid for an entire generation was like a scam to me. I know Zelda came out on the wii u as well, but its basically a switch generation game.

Davey Cakes

Based prime based af
Spilling truthbombs one megaton at the time
In a world where Sunshine and 3D Land exist I have a hard time agreeing with that opinion. I feel like 3D World is a pure distillation of what makes 3D platforming fun. It's not grandiose, but it's well-crafted and content complete.

Hopefully the game gets some deserved respect now that it's on a juggernaut console. The little changes (such as the increased movement speed) and the addition of Bowser's Fury may not be enough to bring everyone back that already played on Wii U, but there's a lot of value in the package for anyone else.

i dont know man. i consider all those kiddie games. I bought the Wii U for Zelda, Metroid and hopefully more adult focused stuff from Platinum but got Bayonetta the whore and Wonderful 101 instead.

No zelda and metroid for an entire generation was like a scam to me. I know Zelda came out on the wii u as well, but its basically a switch generation game.
How are Zelda or Metroid any less kiddie than Mario or Donkey Kong?

Davey Cakes

Tropical Freeze is probably the most difficult Nintendo platformer. "Kiddie," lol. C'mon. This ain't 2002.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

How are Zelda or Metroid any less kiddie than Mario or Donkey Kong?
Mario is pretty kiddie.

But that was an exception i was willing to make because there was nothing else on that console.

Zelda and Metroid are action adventure games with combat, puzzles, even some story. Way less kiddie than Mario and DK.

It's a great console if you are into that kinda shit, but there was a distinct lack of offerings for people who werent.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
In a world where Sunshine and 3D Land exist I have a hard time agreeing with that opinion. I feel like 3D World is a pure distillation of what makes 3D platforming fun. It's not grandiose, but it's well-crafted and content complete.

Hopefully the game gets some deserved respect now that it's on a juggernaut console. The little changes (such as the increased movement speed) and the addition of Bowser's Fury may not be enough to bring everyone back that already played on Wii U, but there's a lot of value in the package for anyone else.
Always felt like a huge step backwards for 3d mario.
It should be thrown in the same grave as the wii U

Batiman

Banned
Mario is pretty kiddie.

But that was an exception i was willing to make because there was nothing else on that console.

Zelda and Metroid are action adventure games with combat, puzzles, even some story. Way less kiddie than Mario and DK.

It's a great console if you are into that kinda shit, but there was a distinct lack of offerings for people who werent.
Define kiddie

TLZ

Banned
You can use this as well since it's the same, just without bowser's fury :)

SlimySnake

Define kiddie
i already did.

platformers, kart games, puzzle games staring a giant baby may be great for some, but for the rest of us who grew up playing these games back in the 90s, they arent enough. Zelda and Metroid used to be a great diversion from Nitnendo's kiddie offering but their absence made the Wii U a very one note console.

Imagine if all Sony had on the PS4 was knack, Sackboy, LBP and LittleBigPlanet karting. No GoW, No uncharted, No Horizon. Just platformers and kart games. It would be a shell of a console.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
i already did.

platformers, kart games, puzzle games staring a giant baby may be great for some, but for the rest of us who grew up playing these games back in the 90s, they arent enough. Zelda and Metroid used to be a great diversion from Nitnendo's kiddie offering but their absence made the Wii U a very one note console.

Imagine if all Sony had on the PS4 was knack, Sackboy, LBP and LittleBigPlanet karting. No GoW, No uncharted, No Horizon. Just platformers and kart games. It would be a shell of a console.
I honestly wished Sony went back to their older style games tbh. More gamey games that “kids” actually had a challenge with. Their games nowadays are third person story driven games that my wife could beat if she ever picked up a controller. Wannabe movie games. I love GOW and Uncharted but could throw away the rest of their more recent games. Mario, Donkey Kong, Captain toad mariokart, etc are a lot more harder and challenging then any of Sony’s recent output besides Demon souls.

You haven’t really explained what kiddie game actually means though. Giant baby mascot? COD, fortnite, etc are what the kiddies are actually playing. I’d argue most of the people wanting to buy 3D world are grown ups that want to get back into actually games and the actual kiddies are playing what you consider to be “grown up” games. Astrobot is one of Sony’s best games recently and it’ll fall into what you consider “kiddie”

It's a masterpiece of a game, but not without flaws. The move list is much more restrictive than Mario 64, and Odyssey. Very limited camera movement, that was a lot more tolerable when it was in 3D (on the 3DS). The coop is just chaos, and not that great.

But the game's insanely polished and inventive, and a ton of fun. The later levels get more difficult as well, and I loved the game. It doesn't stand up to Mario 64, Sunshine, or Odyssey though and is easily the worst 3D Mario because it's barely even a 3D Mario.

Tropical Freeze is probably the most difficult Nintendo platformer. "Kiddie," lol. C'mon. This ain't 2002.
Tropical Freeze was absolutely sublime. Literally just finished it on Switch. Didn't realize "kiddie" was still a thing... Wild, frantic and fun platforming across an avalanche with some of the best music music around... I understand if it's not your style of gaming, but to call it 'kiddie'? Why, because they animated a gorilla?

kevm3

Tie between this, Galaxy, Yoshi's Island or SMB2 as being my favorite mario game. Enjoyed this way more than Super mario Land and Odyssey.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tropical Freeze was absolutely sublime. Literally just finished it on Switch. Didn't realize "kiddie" was still a thing... Wild, frantic and fun platforming across an avalanche with some of the best music music around... I understand if it's not your style of gaming, but to call it 'kiddie'? Why, because they animated a gorilla?
Because their idea of “mature” is to have realistic graphics and it has to be rated “M”. Most people here have very shallow idea about being “mature”.

Last edited:

Narasumas

One of the few “2D” Mario games I truly felt motivated and compelled to beat. Think I might double dip for the Bowser’s Fury expansion. Sounds like good news that they slightly improved the platforming pacing/speed too In the main quest. One of my only gripes with the game was the sheer amount the cat power up popped up. It’s a cool power up, but they leaned into it a little too much for me.

Sejan

What's the word on the online?

My internet can be spotty as it is so I'll be pretty damn disappointed if it runs like shit.
The Nintendo Life review said that it wasn’t the best and that it would slow down (including the music) when people have a bad connection.

Top Bottom