• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World Review Thread

Jooxed

Gold Member
OrOYwyl.jpg

Whatever the case, with hindsight being 20/20, I can fully own up to having had a bad take. Simply put, Super Mario 3D World is the absolute pinnacle of platforming game design. Bowser’s Fury, the bonus, open-world 3D Mario is equally well-crafted whilst filling a different niche.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is a candy confection of fine-tuned platforming that marries some of the best elements of 2D and 3D Mario in two very different ways. The package is mostly a re-release of a Wii U game, but this version upgrades the original with a faster pace and online play, and then adds the experimental and gloriously strange Bowser's Fury on top of it.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury packs a tonne of engaging gameplay, but neither component comes together as elegantly as it might have done. This is a solid option if you’re craving more Super Mario for your Switch, but it’s not the moustachioed must-play I was hoping for.

The game still holds up to this day on the Switch, but the other major part of this package is a standalone adventure called Bowser’s Fury. As I mentioned in my preview, this is entirely separate to 3D World except that it borrows power-ups from 3D world to offer something new and unique.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is probably the only Wii U game I liked. Didnt care for anything else on the Wii U. What a disappointing console.

Anyway, this is far better than Odyssey which feels aimless and like a ubisoft game. This game feels like it has that nintendo magic where you play it with a constant smile on your face. Definitely pick it up if you havent played it.

Gonna pick this up for my son. Is it possible to do crossplay? He has a switch lite and i have a docked switch. Can we play coop with one copy?

nkarafo

Mario 3D World was always the weakest 3D Mario for me. It's pretty much an isometric view game with very limited camera control and freedom of movement.

Bowser's Fury at least look like a proper 3D game.

I liked 3d land but although completed world on wii u, I absolutely hated it for not being galaxy 3. Didn't get Odyssey due to price vs quality of build of the switch. Yip, they lost their magic.

So then in lockdown the kids have all been on it, and I must say the fixed camera etc all make perfect sense and it has become my most played Nintendo game. I just wished it had online multiplayer.

And then this package comes along. Satisfying every entitled little bitchy whine I had about the game.

So now I want to buy a switch. For a game I already own. F**kers.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Prepare yourself with disappointment if you expect a 9 out of 10.

It's so boring in my opinion, I did not even care to finish it on WiiU. Meanwhile, I really enjoyed my time with 3D Land on 3DS, just before the WiiU game.

I had more fun with Sonic and the Lost Levels than this 3D Mario (and I hate 3D Sonic).
Hmm weird 3D World is so much better than 3DLand 😳

Alebrije

Well , original WiiU was great...no wonder this port has those numbers.
Saddly the only way to play new level is buying the game...

fart town usa

Gold Member
Best 3D Mario. Come at me. 8 way control da best.
For real. The WiiU version is easily one of the best Mario titles. It's just insanely fun and smooth as butter. Crazy challenging too in the later levels. People sleeping on this are missing out big time and I say all of this as someone who generally doesn't get excited for Nintendo games anymore. I'm not even a huge fan of Odyssey. I'd rather play 3D World than Odyssey.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
3D world on Wii U was fantastic. I played that shit like a job for 4 days when it came out. If you have a friend or two the game gets even better.

that’s my only hold up is that I played the game almost too much, but bowsers fury is apparently almost worth the price alone. Damn the choices....

Last edited:

Esppiral

The performance isn't great in Bowser's Fury and the resolution is super low, Nintendo needs new hardware asap.

John Wick

Prepare yourself with disappointment if you expect a 9 out of 10.

It's so boring in my opinion, I did not even care to finish it on WiiU. Meanwhile, I really enjoyed my time with 3D Land on 3DS, just before the WiiU game.

I had more fun with Sonic and the Lost Levels than this 3D Mario (and I hate 3D Sonic).
It's class. Me and the family loved it.

jaysius

Banned
"A furries wet dream".

Fuck the stupid shitty controls that were put there so that you could use the trash wiimote on the WiiU.

Also they shoehorned into their shitty CO-OP into another Mario game, fuck them for that too.

Proof that they are accepting that they fucked up the movement is that they increased the movement speed of walking and running in the Switch port, which is noted in the new DF foundry "review"(aka tip licking).

Last edited:

anab0lic36

Played the original on wii u and the game was like a 6/10 for me, my main issue being 90% of the game is wayyyy too easy. And this was playing co op mode with my little brother, who struggles with these kind of games. Zero desire to play through it again.

Yay another Wii U port that I already played to death 7 years ago. My Switch continues to collect dust for the foreseeable future.

Ps. Super Mario 3D Land was the better game
Yeah I understand that a lot of people missed these games by not having a Wii U but for those of us who did the lack of games to play on Switch has been very disappointing. Nintendo relying on these things too much

MagnesG

Banned
So how much would this sell again? We have SMP at 14 mil and NSMBUD at 10 mil, with new content included I'm expecting 15 mil minimum in the long run.

fart town usa

Gold Member
"A furries wet dream".

Fuck the stupid shitty controls that were put there so that you could use the trash wiimote on the WiiU.

Also they shoehorned into their shitty CO-OP into another Mario game, fuck them for that too.

Proof that they are accepting that they fucked up the movement is that they increased the movement speed of walking and running in the Switch port, which is noted in the new DF foundry "review".
On paper limiting control to 8 directions does sound dumb but I thought it worked great with this game. It seemed like the many of the loopy/narrow ledges were designed with those controls in mind. Makes it feel accurate and snappy to me. The co-op is great, much better than something like NSMB. 3D World is probably the only Nintendo title that I'll go out of my way to support. I think it's a fantastic game, especially when you look at the subpar stuff Nintendo was releasing back then (still are I guess too in most cases).

To each their own though.

Kuranghi

Now that I've discovered scanline-sync in RTSS I think I'll try and cure my weird v-sync problems I was getting (giant black bars/tears) and finally play more of this.

I was thinking of binding run to every button and the left analogue stick, so I always run, would that cause any problems you guys can think of?

I never want to not run in this game, makes long jumping rubbish without it.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I haven't played this one. It looks interesting so I just ordered a copy. I didn't like the last Mario game where you just ran around big boring levels and picked up stars. This one looks a bit more focused with compact levels.

Kuranghi

On paper limiting control to 8 directions does sound dumb but I thought it worked great with this game. It seemed like the many of the loopy/narrow ledges were designed with those controls in mind. Makes it feel accurate and snappy to me. The co-op is great, much better than something like NSMB. 3D World is probably the only Nintendo title that I'll go out of my way to support. I think it's a fantastic game, especially when you look at the subpar stuff Nintendo was releasing back then (still are I guess too in most cases).

To each their own though.

I didn't mind the control change much (I literally just replayed Odyssey and Galaxy 1&2 in the weeks before starting 3DW and had no issues in that regard), for the camera view it makes sense so you don't run off edges as you say.

My main problem was with the speed, which I'm told this version fixes, and also the difficulty, I was on 3-3 when I stopped and I hardly remember most of the levels I did so far because they were so simple. Everytime I was missing a green star it almost always turned out to be somewhere really not-secret.

Maybe I need friends to play it with? I have no friends to play it with lol they all hate platformers.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Mario 3D World was always the weakest 3D Mario for me. It's pretty much an isometric view game with very limited camera control and freedom of movement.

Bowser's Fury at least look like a proper 3D game.
The limited camera is very frustrating. They try to use it to hide stuff or drive gameplay but it feels like a big loss from other 3d Marios. I do like the focused levels though. They should do a Super Mario Super 3D World that includes linear levels with free camera and multiple exits like Super Mario World next. At least that's what I think before playing Bowser's Fury.

Last edited:

Hudo

For real. The WiiU version is easily one of the best Mario titles. It's just insanely fun and smooth as butter. Crazy challenging too in the later levels. People sleeping on this are missing out big time and I say all of this as someone who generally doesn't get excited for Nintendo games anymore. I'm not even a huge fan of Odyssey. I'd rather play 3D World than Odyssey.
Can I just say that your user name is probably the best on GAF. I laugh every time.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't mind the control change much (I literally just replayed Odyssey and Galaxy 1&2 in the weeks before starting 3DW and had no issues in that regard), for the camera view it makes sense so you don't run off edges as you say.

My main problem was with the speed, which I'm told this version fixes, and also the difficulty, I was on 3-3 when I stopped and I hardly remember most of the levels I did so far because they were so simple. Everytime I was missing a green star it almost always turned out to be somewhere really not-secret.

Maybe I need friends to play it with? I have no friends to play it with lol they all hate platformers.
It definitely is too easy for the bulk of the game and I agree with playing single player over multi-player. I only played it single player when it first released and I really enjoyed it but it wasn't until a few months ago that I played it two player with my wife and it really does change the dynamics big time, in a positive way. Just adds laughter and fun by having the 2nd person there. One thing that's nice too is being able to switch your character whenever you start a new level. My first playthrough I was Toad the whole time, but now I'm really enjoying playing as Luigi.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
This is kinda its own sub series sitting between the 2D and 3D entries. It is closer to being a classic Mario in 3D than 64, Sunshine and Odyssey. I think they all can co-exist with each other though.
ey should do a Super Mario Super 3D World that includes linear levels with free camera and multiple exits like Super Mario World next.
So basically Super Mario Galaxy again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom