• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars physical copies OUTSOLD Avengers in September, UK's third biggest launch game of 2020

Super Mario 3D All-Stars sold more physical copies in two weeks than Marvel's Avengers did in four.

The Nintendo Switch exclusive is now September's biggest selling boxed game release, and the third largest launch of the year so far behind PlayStation exclusive The Last of Us 2 and then Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Nintendo's compilation of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy is - for some reason - only on sale until March next year.

A limited number of physical copies are being made, Nintendo has said. Its digital version will also be removed from the Switch eShop.

Martin gave the trilogy's presentation a mixed write-up in Eurogamer's Super Mario 3D All-Stars review, while praising the two masterpieces within.

Mafia: Definitive Edition and Mafia Trilogy both made top 10 entries into the UK boxed games chart this week, slotting in between Nintendo Switch stalwarts Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, both of which continue to sell like hot cakes.

The full top 10 provided by GfK Chart-Track lies below:
  1. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  2. Marvel's Avengers
  3. Mafia: Definitive Edition
  4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  6. Mafia Trilogy
  7. Minecraft Dungeons
  8. Tony Hawks's Pro Skater 1+2
  9. Minecraft
  10. GTA5

Congrats, Nintendo. Mario stays winning.

Last edited:
Bought it, been playing Sunshine first, enjoying it more now than I did on the GC.

I hate how low effort these ports are, but God damn it if I'm not a sucker for Nintendo on top form, which these three games undeniably are.

Quite honestly I might end up getting it digitally too so I can hopefully keep playing on the Switch 2 and onwards, then sell the physical version on Mario's 50th anniversary or such like.

The combination of Nintendo games holding value and this being a limited run, is going to make this go up in value as the years go by, after all.

Glad Avengers isn't setting the charts on fire too. The tired and exploitative GAAS bollocks, terrible character designs, lazy gameplay, lazier level design, poor writing and eye rolling shoehorning in of Ms Marvel absolutely deserves to fail, and will hopefully send developers and Marvel a message, particularly in comparison to how well Spiderman has done.

Last edited:
Anything with mario sells, it means nothing

I just talked with gamer friend how our switches just collect dust, and how boring mario odyssey were (repetitive collecting mechanics, boring levels build around collecting shit). Yet it sells like crazy and it is praised.

And that maybe we buy copies of this collection when price drops, there were like 20-30 copies in local store yesterday so it doesnt look like it sells out here

John Day

Imagine having in your hands the fucking avengers brand and making a game that get raped by a collection of cash grab low effort remakes...

This the biggest fuckup of this gen.
Nah, i’m pretty sure that game is selling fine.
It’s not like it’s at the bottom 100 of the list 🤣

JimiNutz

Banned
i bought it.
I hadn't played any of the three games in the collection and think it's funny that Mario is 35 in the same year that I'm turning 35 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not surprised that Mario is king.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still selling well too.

RaptorGTA

How're these games still at the top? I genuinely don't get it? Did UK just get the Switch?

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Id have to guess its people getting/finding the console and picking up these games. If your just picking up the system either game is a safe purchase.

GymWolf

Nah, i’m pretty sure that game is selling fine.
It’s not like it’s at the bottom 100 of the list 🤣
Fine it's not nearly enough for a game with the most famous and money-producing brand of the last 10 years.

In the ends of capable devs this game would sell 30+ mil copies.

Woopah

How're these games still at the top? I genuinely don't get it? Did UK just get the Switch?

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Switch hardware sales are quite high, and when new people buy a Switch they get the games that are most associated with the platform. Nintendo often does one gane per franchise per platform, thus Nintendo games (and some third party games in some places) have very strong legs.

It's the same reason GTAV and Minecraft can keep selling year after year after year.

S0ULZB0URNE

Super Mario 3D All-Stars sold more physical copies in two weeks than Marvel's Avengers did in four.

The Nintendo Switch exclusive is now September's biggest selling boxed game release, and the third largest launch of the year so far behind PlayStation exclusive The Last of Us 2 and then Animal Crossing: New Horizons.

Nintendo's compilation of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy is - for some reason - only on sale until March next year.

A limited number of physical copies are being made, Nintendo has said. Its digital version will also be removed from the Switch eShop.

Martin gave the trilogy's presentation a mixed write-up in Eurogamer's Super Mario 3D All-Stars review, while praising the two masterpieces within.

Mafia: Definitive Edition and Mafia Trilogy both made top 10 entries into the UK boxed games chart this week, slotting in between Nintendo Switch stalwarts Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, both of which continue to sell like hot cakes.

The full top 10 provided by GfK Chart-Track lies below:
  1. Super Mario 3D All-Stars
  2. Marvel's Avengers
  3. Mafia: Definitive Edition
  4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  6. Mafia Trilogy
  7. Minecraft Dungeons
  8. Tony Hawks's Pro Skater 1+2
  9. Minecraft
  10. GTA5

Congrats, Nintendo. Mario stays winning.

Terrible!
This encourages Nintendo to continue lazy ports.

Meech64

Neo Member
I bought it, and although I am disappointed that these games are pretty much straight-ports, I am having a lot of fun.

Super Mario 64 is a true joy to play, even though the camera can be frustrating to deal with. The sheer creativity in the world and level design is just so much fun and worth experiencing for anyone who is a fan of 3D platformers.

I never beat Super Mario Sunshine, and I never played Super Mario Galaxy, so I am looking forward to playing those next.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know that Mario is about as evergreen as it gets, but I am amazed that a compilation of old Mario games is selling that well. Wow.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Imagine having in your hands the fucking avengers brand and making a game that get raped by a collection of cash grab low effort remakes...

Imagine releasing a collection of 3 of the greatest Mario games ever, one of which hadn’t been officially rereleased for 18 years, and getting outsold by an out-of-time Avengers GAAS game featuring dollar-store cosplayers that look nothing like the real actors :pie_roffles:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
And thats the reason why Nintendo don't make an effort when porting olders games. I doubt they would have sold an extra copy with any meaningful work behind the ports.

Fuck it, I'd do it too if I could get away with it. Thank fuck they still try with new games.

Just want to point out...

Everyone and their brothers bought two copies or more of this. You won't be making shit when you try and sell.

Thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Mario + “limited quantities” + “omg I need to buy it before it runs out” = $$$$$

This isn't quite the burn you think it is. It's a time limited release of three great games from one of gaming's most beloved icons. Quality of ports aside, it's not like it was a remaster of something like Jersey Devil or Gex beating avengers ass. Mario 3d All-stars was always going to murder the charts.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This isn't quite the burn you think it is. It's a time limited release of three great games from one of gaming's most beloved icons. Quality of ports aside, it's not like it was a remaster of something like Jersey Devil or Gex beating avengers ass. Mario 3d All-stars was always going to murder the charts.
Dude we are talking about the avengers here, not some b-movie character.

Being beated by a remake collection no matter how good the games are is still pretty laughable.

Top Bottom