• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars |OT| So Long So Long Gay Bowser

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Man, reaching the island with Yoshi in Delfino sure is a bitch. Falling off the boats, not paying attention and Yoshi dying because of hunger. Shit took me almost an hour including the secret level where I almost went game over.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
doing the FLUDD less levels in Sunshine is so great. it's like the game is in kind of humming along and then you find one of those levels and all of a sudden you are playing a prototype of Mario Galaxy.

did one earlier that had some tricky balance-on-a-spinning-cube sequences and the entire background was outer space. take that cube and turn it into a sphere and you're halfway there!

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
doing the FLUDD less levels in Sunshine is so great. it's like the game is in kind of humming along and then you find one of those levels and all of a sudden you are playing a prototype of Mario Galaxy.

did one earlier that had some tricky balance-on-a-spinning-cube sequences and the entire background was outer space. take that cube and turn it into a sphere and you're halfway there!
I like these levels. But damn some of them are so hard for me. Sunshine mario is so fast and "slippy" Galaxy is much easier for me.

I had the exact same experience. There’s a lot of stuff people will say is broken in Sunshine. It tends to just be high difficulty, or maybe also a little bit of jank.

This is actually broken. I can’t believe they actually put the game out the door with this.

Yeah, it sucks balls. The Yoshi boat ride is somehow more annoying because you can't quickly restart it once you inevitably get a game over, but the pachinko doesn't work. Whatever physics they were going for, shit went topsy turvy and we got retarded gravity.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah, it sucks balls. The Yoshi boat ride is somehow more annoying because you can't quickly restart it once you inevitably get a game over, but the pachinko doesn't work. Whatever physics they were going for, shit went topsy turvy and we got retarded gravity.

Speaking of that, I took the whole two hour long boat ride there, was almost there, then noticed a golden bird on the water and ate it. Of course the shine flies back to the shore, because Sunshine.

Even trying to get tricky with using Yoshi’s face-melting velociraptor juice on the pipe, leaving him there, and trying to collect the shine really quickly, didn’t work, because for inexplicable reasons, the game also deloads Delfino Plaza, so it can load Delfino Plaza, completely resetting everything.

(Sigh) I love it, but this game sometimes.

Speaking of that, I took the whole two hour long boat ride there, was almost there, then noticed a golden bird on the water and ate it. Of course the shine flies back to the shore, because Sunshine.

Even trying to get tricky with using Yoshi’s face-melting velociraptor juice on the pipe, leaving him there, and trying to collect the shine really quickly, didn’t work, because for inexplicable reasons, the game also deloads Delfino Plaza, so it can load Delfino Plaza, completely resetting everything.

(Sigh) I love it, but this game sometimes.

Oh shit I forgot about the bird. I think you can get that sucker without Yoshi, no? I might uninstall the collection if you can't lol.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Oh shit I forgot about the bird. I think you can get that sucker without Yoshi, no? I might uninstall the collection if you can't lol.

Kinda maybe? Lol. I know the water pump can do it, but it’d be difficult to hit it out in the middle of the ocean. I had about a microsecond to think about it, basically did this:

PbOnVJy.jpg

And just went for it.

Kinda maybe? Lol. I know the water pump can do it, but it’d be difficult to hit it out in the middle of the ocean.

I didn't know you could eat the bird, I've always done it with the water pump. I just spray the bird, wait for it to fly back to where it started, spray again, repeat. Eventually it gives you the shine.

But yeah, that level is terrible to get to, and then terrible to complete. I actually went in the pipe at the end of the level thinking I could restart and when I saw Delfino Plaza load I wanted to throw the controller. I finally completed the level by walking along the edge to hover over to the red coin I missed. Walking back along that narrow edge is just a tad stressful.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
it's really mind blowing that it was only a year after Yoshi's Island that Super Mario 64 came out.
Even more mindblowing is that YI is the culmination of everything Nintendo knew about the SNES, while SM64 is the first damn thing they did with the N64.

YI is a fantastic game, but the only thing that makes SM64 seem a thing made by earthlings is that Tomb Raider came out the same year and kinda took a bit of oomph out of the quasi-alien game Nintendo made with SM64. Both games would have seemed unimaginable just six months earlier, yet there they were, and they both nailed everything first try.

Done with Sirena Beach. One play session. Off with the band-aid.

It wasn’t as horrendous as I remember it being, wherein I literally compared it to the worst games I had ever played, but I could feel even the patience I went in with being pushed, with just a non-stop stream of bad ideas.

Doing that level now. The quality noticeably tanks, the boos don't feel right at all. Beautiful sunset when you arrive though. But yeah, a strong competitor for worst Mario level ever. Terrible music as well.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just beat Sunshine. Wow that ending really just comes out of nowhere huh!

Great game but you can tell it runs out of steam at the end. Final level was a real disappointment compared to the awesome Bowser areas in 64. Oh well.

Beat with 73 shines now Im on to get 120! Looks like I’ll be doing all these secret areas over again lol

Last edited:
I'm now at 80/120 stars on Galaxy. After completing the first two games I have a new appreciation for Galaxy. It is clearly (IMO) the best of all three and simply a joy to play. I think the only complaint on the levels would be the camera (which is usually positioned well) is sometimes a little too inflexible. After playing Sunshine there were times when I just wanted to swing the camera around to see another angle but can't. It's annoying in some levels (e.g. purple coins) when you just want to look at a specific spot, but that's really my only complaint. (Well, that and having to re-enter levels; Odyssey spoiled me there.) The difficulty is not too high but some levels do require a decent amount of skill if you're trying to complete everything. A great way to finish off the trilogy - and now I will be quite upset if I don't get Galaxy 2 as DLC in short order.

Oh, and a huge shout-out to the developers who ported this Wii game for the way they implemented the pointer. It's perfect. It's better than the Wii, mainly because you don't have to be pointing at the screen. With separated Joy-Cons I can have my right hand at my side on the couch and click R to re-center in the perfect location to just barely have to move from a resting position. Lazy people everywhere rejoice!

Dodo123

During my session with Sunshine yesterday I managed to collect the remaining blue coins from Delfino Plaza (have all 240 now). But man, after I jumped on Yoshi and started exploring, the game became LAGGY - it was pretty bad. Thought that Switch wants me to finish playing for today haha!

BTW - I also played the Pachinko level aaaaaaaand I literally died only once. Beat it on my second try :p Not sure how much of that was luck based but still - I can recommend jumping on the yellow platform behind the pachinko and running up the slide. With the use of flood it's quite easy to get 1-2 coins.

6 shines left, including the Yoshi boat ride + the leaf on the river level

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Well hey, you're right about one thing: that is heresy.

Of course, after I finish Sunshine and forced myself to adjust to non-inverted controls. Of course.

I’ve been sidetracked by Mario + Rabbids (which is brilliant) but I’m sure I’ll get back to it in due course, where I will take full advantage of the in-fucked controls. I’ll still avoid fucking water and ice levels though.

Dodo123

Man, reaching the island with Yoshi in Delfino sure is a bitch. Falling off the boats, not paying attention and Yoshi dying because of hunger. Shit took me almost an hour including the secret level where I almost went game over.

Finished Sunshine yesterday and that level was one of the last shines for me. I managed to reach the island with Yoshi on my first try XD But the secret level took around 20 tries....
Shame that Sunshine doesn't reward the player for completing it in 100%. Yes, I know that there's a different picture after credits, but well... that's not much :p

God fucking damn the Pachinko level in Sunshine is Sonic 06 tier. It's even worse than I remember.

The problem with Sunshine is that it never feels like they designed object responses (friction, slide-off, etc.) for the large moveset Mario+FLUDD has. It all feels half-baked and, sometimes, like you are relying on a glitch. Even something simple like the "boat" physics doesn't feel quite right.

Shaqazooloo

So much coming out that I had to take a break from Sunshine (also I was getting burned out) I want to have it done by next weekend so I can start Galaxy and have a truly amazing time with this collection.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Sunshine better than Galaxy? It takes all kinds, I guess...
What sealed the deal for me is return trips. Sunshine just has more fun missions every time you revisit a level. Galaxy is great but I absolutely hate the way it deals with extra stars and comets. Trying to get all stars in Galaxy after beating it has been a chore tbh. Some of the timed missions like using push stars to get all purple coins in a strict limit are just flat out not fun. Often it just dumps me into a level and I have no idea what to do unlike 64/Sunshine where they always tell you the goal at the start.

Feel like the linear level design wasn’t as meant for replay but they stuck it in there anyways to try and be like 64. Feels artificially lengthened to me. Also the controls, I prefer Sunshine’s. Galaxy has the worst move set of the three.

Don’t get me wrong though all three are masterpiece games and Galaxy is still amazing. But it feels like the biggest departure.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Where would you say the graphics on these three games sit when compared to 3D Land on the 3DS?

Better or worse?

Mario 64 is Mario 64 - it's old and blocky. The others are better-looking than 3D land as the original assets were pretty decent and the Switch has more power than a 3DS by quite some margin.

Mario 64 is Mario 64 - it's old and blocky. The others are better-looking than 3D land as the original assets were pretty decent and the Switch has more power than a 3DS by quite some margin.

The Switch does but what about Wii vs 3DS?

That's the real comparison isn't it?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The Switch does but what about Wii vs 3DS?

That's the real comparison isn't it?

Not sure I follow. We're talking about the 3D all-stars pack on the Switch, so it's running on the Switch. While 64 has only had its resolution increased from its original incarnation on the N64, the others have had that but also a bit of a touch-up (Sunshine especially looks excellent - it really doesn't look like a Gamecube game).

Kuranghi

I tried out Sunshine but got pretty frustrated, I got to the 2nd (?) shine (Petey boss battle) and died near the end of the boss battle and had to go back to the beginning of the level which was annoying after playing Galaxy, 3D World and Odyssey recently, I would be happy to start from the middle of the level, not even at the boss battle, but all the way back? Ughhh, just feels like it takes too long to get back to the boss, compared to 64 when the same thing happens. Then when I got to the boss for the 2nd time I got glitched and stuck in the floor and it was soft locked, is that a common bug or do I just have terrible luck?

I do like the way he controls because they don't do the animation blending/turning circle from Galaxy/Odyssey (Or at least it gives you much more control, ie you don't get that "stuck running in a circle" problem that happens in G/O sometimes), FLUDD seems fine to control after I changed a few button assignments. I'm also happy doing the "shutgun spray" move and got used to pirouette jumps and side flips instead of backflips pretty quickly.

The problems for me come from the logic behind things, why would I think that shooting water into Petey's mouth would be how you attack him? Is it just because its the only thing you can do with the tools you have? Same with the goopy piranha plant near the beginning. Its "made" of graffiti so thats the logical reason to do it?

I'm sure people will say "I worked that out when I was 6 years old you wally" but thats just my experience, I only knew to fill petey up because I've watched a full playthrough before, and even then I was like "Am I doing this right, because the timing is so precise, you can shoot water at his mouth when its open and it only works like 40% of the time.

With other 3D Marios, I start them up and I can't stop playing them but with this I just bounced off it after 60 mins or so, even though I tried to go in really optimistic (given the level of polarization it has).

I think Odyssey has ruined it for me because everything I start doing the FLUDD hover I just wish it was a backflip/pound-jump to cappy throw, then dive on cappy, etc jump because thats way more satisfying to me. Hovering feels like the worst Mario jump extender/saver they designed, Galaxy's spin being 2nd place for me and Odyssey's cap throw + dive being my favourite.

Can you dive after hovering in Sunshine? Maybe I should give it another go but I'm siding more towards Crash 4 as my next platformer after doing Galaxy 1+2, Odyssey and about a 1/3 of SM3DW (Had technical problems so will wait for Switch version now).

Not sure I follow. We're talking about the 3D all-stars pack on the Switch, so it's running on the Switch. While 64 has only had its resolution increased from its original incarnation on the N64, the others have had that but also a bit of a touch-up (Sunshine especially looks excellent - it really doesn't look like a Gamecube game).

Thought the Wii games were straight ports.

Last edited:
I think Odyssey has ruined it for me

I believe this sums up your issues quite well. Going back to Sunshine after playing Odyssey is ... not optimal. I got through Sunshine and enjoyed it, but I played it when it came out and remembered most of what is required. Odyssey is leagues better IMO, and I would probably not have enjoyed Sunshine nearly as much had I recently played it.

Also, yes, you can dive after hovering.

Top Bottom