• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars |OT| So Long So Long Gay Bowser

Mario 64 is utter trash with that camera system in this day and age.

In case anyone is having difficulties with the camera, take your time with some stars. Like walk slowly toward them and shit. I feel a lot of the frustration comes from people trying to speedrun it.

It's a poor camera, but it's workable.

Quick Question, was there ever any more lore to the levels in SM64?

They don't call it DEEPEST LORE for anything.

But real talk, there are some really cool details in a lot of the levels. Like how King Bob Omb becomes a rolling ball, or how there's a tower in place after you beat Whomp King because he's a building block. Or how the big doors in Dire, Dire Docks lead you outside of the castle since Bowser fucked out of there by the submarine.

I always wondered if the SM64 worlds were real, or just paintings come to life after Bowser wreaked havoc. I kind of prefer that they just be paintings — it adds to the strangeness and magic of that game.

The toad in the main hall says Bowser used the power of the stars to create worlds inside the paintings. Why would he do that is besides me, like couldn't he just take a Peach painting and turn that into his sex slave or create a sex dungeon world to boink her madly?

Mozza

Me and my two brothers agree we didn't expect any of these to look so good, especially the latter two.

Sunshine and Galaxy look fucking gorgeous.

Mario 64 has such a clean look to it, and compared to the original it's super sharp, or course the other two were always going to look the best, just playing sunshine at the moment but my anticipation for Galaxy as I am sure it will look like the current Mario on the Switch, well pretty close.

carlosrox

Banned
I can't believe how good sunshine looks, I have just been running around enjoying the scenery, and the water looks so inviting.

Yeah and it's basically a 1080p GameCube game. How the fuck does Bianco Hills have real reflections?????

Better FPS would definitely be nice but I'm not a crybaby graphics whore either.

Glad Galaxy is 60, the shame with that one is the pointer being a pain to deal with (on Pro, haven't tried joycon yet).

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeah and it's basically a 1080p GameCube game. How the fuck does Bianco Hills have real reflections?????

I’m not actually sure, but I think the technique used back then was to simply render the scene twice. Which is probably even more expensive than modern raytracing, but it will get you some awesome reflections.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Playing Galaxy now it’s so nice! The controls are perfect too, playing with joycons matches the Wii control scene very well. Performance is better than what I’ve gotten from emulation. Visuals might not be the better than what you can do on emulator but it’s a very faithful update. These games are so well visually designed they don’t really need it imo.

Love this game! Ah I can’t wait to play the others too. This rules so much.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The UI in Galaxy or some of it at least appears to be 4K? Would be nice to play this collection in 4k eventually on Switch Pro.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Had a fun first few hours. Got to 19 stars in Super Mario 64. Feels clunky, but I feel like if I dig out a 64 and play the OG that it is likely just as clunky. We are too programmed to use the right stick as a camera so it being basically the C stick from the 64 is going to throw people off.

Watched too much speedrunning of this game, so doing myself after not playing this game since it first came out is just crazy how often I overshoot or miss my star.

Was a fun morning for sure.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Are you playing with the Pro? Is aiming ever an issue? Because I thought it controlled well in limited exposure.

Just joycons for me. Aim feels a little clunky, not quite as good as the bow in BOTW but I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Currently working on 64 though which is definitely growing on me.

HotPocket69

Banned
Bj8Qzpy.jpg

WXiAF1S.jpg

bnAwuQh.gif

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Had a fun first few hours. Got to 19 stars in Super Mario 64. Feels clunky, but I feel like if I dig out a 64 and play the OG that it is likely just as clunky. We are too programmed to use the right stick as a camera so it being basically the C stick from the 64 is going to throw people off.

Watched too much speedrunning of this game, so doing myself after not playing this game since it first came out is just crazy how often I overshoot or miss my star.

Was a fun morning for sure.

I feel like I’m starting to understand the controls a bit better now, zipping around with gay (bowser) abandon. Practice is a wonderful thing I guess.

13 stars in on 64. Definitely a little clunky but still fun. I remember how aggravating the flying can be now when you can't render coins more than 2 ft in front of you lol.

Some of these secrets are so great. I'd love to hear people's stories of playing 64 for the first time with no guide. Blast the Wall on level 2 blew my mind 24 years ago.

Last edited:
Playing Super Mario Sunshine. The controls took a little time getting used to the slight changes. What's interesting is the Gamecube style X button is still in the game. I have done much yet. Just got my first shine so far. I'll play Sunshine for a while before jumping to Super Mario Galaxy.

Shaqazooloo

Mario controls way better then I remember in 64. Having a fun time trying to shmove.
Is it true they took out mario saying "so long gay bowser"?

I have this preordered but have the originals. May get for the portability factor, but then again I'm a grown person who doesn't regularly travel.
Haven't gotten to it yet, but since this appears to be based on the updated version of Super Mario 64 released in 1997 in Japan, I would say that it is not in this version.

Edit: Yup it's "Buh-bye" in this version.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Galaxy Mario is so sluggish! He's got the least momentum in the series doesn't he?? Not the most movement options either!

Sunshine Mario is a fucking height god. And his somersault is basically instant!
The camera is part of the GAMEPLAY in all these games!

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Mario 64 was SO 3D!
Mario's somersault is one of the greatest moves ever!

:messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts:

This man is so committed, he’s eating mushrooms on and off-screen.

(I agree)

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sunshine’s world design is still so good. Large, living worlds (I really like all the NPCs and that they’re believable places) that are an absolute joy to explore every inch of, and a playground for Mario’s moves.

There isn’t really one bit of dead space. The entire world is just fun all the way through.

The camera is part of the GAMEPLAY in all these games!

:messenger_smiling_hearts:

Mario 64 was SO 3D!
It was basically the first main 3d game. It was so new that using the camera was a character, and multiple secrets. Snowmen are killed by running in circles which was a new thing no other games did. Sneaking up on enemies was new since it was basically the first analog stick. And it still holds up, which shows how insane it was at the time.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The moves are really enjoyable too. I kind of like that the backflip (sort of) and long jump aren’t in this, along with the new water moves. It kind of forces you to rethink the standard 3D Mario controls a little, and approach things in different ways.

Something I didn’t catch onto in 2002 was the childlike joy of just having a water pistol and interacting with the world and Mario in all sorts of ways. From spraying the goop, to suddenly having giant parts of the level spring out, to ringing bells, moving windmills, creating makeshift boats, or just spraying an NPC for being annoying, Nintendo is constantly giving you fun little things to do.

Top Bottom