• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars |OT| So Long So Long Gay Bowser

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hurry up Amazon ffs.. I mean I can't exactly play it while I'm working but I still want it here, in my hands, or more importantly in my Switch! Can't wait to play a bit of gaming history. Mario 64 I've dicked about with in emulators but never really had a proper go at it. Sunshine I'm going in a bit blind as it came out when I wasn't doing so much gaming, while Galaxy back in the day had me wishing I had a Wii. I was of course a PC masterrace wanker so refused to get a shitty console, but thankfully I've reformed my elitist ways so I'll be able to test what is one of the most gorgeous-looking games ever made. I'm fully fucking hyped.

jigglet

Banned
When I see the original artwork Mario 64 artwork in the OP and imagine a remake of that level of fidelity, a little bit of me dies on the inside.

IMO Mario 64 is the most important 3D game in history. Yes, no exaggeration. Fuck it deserves so much more. I can't believe fans are coming to bat for this company. Up until a few weeks ago I was probably one of the largest Nintendo shareholders on this forum but even I was advocating for them to properly invest in this, profits be damned. Fucking fanboys.

SegaShack

Is it true they took out mario saying "so long gay bowser"?

I have this preordered but have the originals. May get for the portability factor, but then again I'm a grown person who doesn't regularly travel.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Mine was delayed until tomorrow

RBsTU5m.jpg

SegaShack

Yikes so just read that sunshine inverted the x and y axis from the original, and that 64 inverted the x axis controls. You can't change either option back to the original way. What the heck? This is a deal breaker for me. My muscle memory won't work well if Sunshine is not inverted like the original game.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Goddamn I’m so glad I’m not bothered by spergy shit like this.

Happy Friday!

Lol, I am glad you are happy throwing your hard earned money to a vendor without ever complaining. Please tell me you are not in charge of procurement or would ever be :LOL:.

This is a software I own on a system I own, Nintendo would be fine even if they pushed harder and invested more in these remasters... stop having the lowest bar for them ever, you are not helping them nor the preservation of the games you like.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Lol, I am glad you are happy throwing your hard earned money to a vendor without ever complaining. Please tell me you are not in charge of procurement or would ever be :LOL:.

This is a software I own on a system I own, Nintendo would be fine even if they pushed harder and invested more in these remasters... stop having the lowest bar for them ever, you are not helping them nor the preservation of the games you like.

Wait. You already own these 3 games on Switch? How's that?

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
When I see the original artwork Mario 64 artwork in the OP and imagine a remake of that level of fidelity, a little bit of me dies on the inside.

IMO Mario 64 is the most important 3D game in history. Yes, no exaggeration. Fuck it deserves so much more. I can't believe fans are coming to bat for this company. Up until a few weeks ago I was probably one of the largest Nintendo shareholders on this forum but even I was advocating for them to properly invest in this, profits be damned. Fucking fanboys.

*sigh* Preservation is a thing. Lots of us want to play the game in its original form. Certainly I do. Indeed, while this is less of an issue for Nintendo than most companies, I am somewhat suspicious of remakes as they tend to lose the charm of the original game, plus while bringing some modern gaming conveniences it's not unheard of for them to have modern sensibilities too - we've lost "So long gay Bowser" but I can live with that as it's from a specific version of the original game, but in other games there are far more egregious examples - I fear for the Mafia remake.

Anyway, moving away from the standard entitled gamer bullshit that infests the gaming side here, it turned up in the post with a thud, scaring the shit out of my cats. I am of course working but decided to sneak in a quick half hour on Mario 64 as I intend to go in chronological order. It's definitely retro but I'm a guy who enjoys playing old Atari ST games and have been having fun with Final Fantasy 7 on the Switch so I might not be the person most bothered by such things. Controls take some getting used to with Mario being a bit more slidey than I'm used to and the camera is definitely of its time though I do quite like the semi-controlled camera in some ways - it allows some cleverness in almost turning it into a 2D game in parts. Racked up the first 2 stars before heading back to work.

I will say it looks great on my big TV, no noticeable signs of lag or framerate issues and personally 30fps looks fine to me. Overall I'm happy - can't wait to get stuck in in 4 hours when I'm finished work!

Saruhashi

Banned

Alternative take.

I own a Switch and PS4 only and I would like to play 3 classic games with the option of playing on the TV or playing on handheld.

Should I:
A- Start crying online about fan boys?
B - Spend a measly 60 bucks and enjoy the shit out of 3 historic games?

A game from the 90s looks like a game from the 90s? Oh no!

Maybe historic games are worth playing just on their own terms.

Anyway, each to their own but you are basically arguing against people who want to buy and enjoy 3 of the best games of all time.

Saruhashi

Banned
*sigh* Preservation is a thing. Lots of us want to play the game in its original form. Certainly I do. Indeed, while this is less of an issue for Nintendo than most companies, I am somewhat suspicious of remakes as they tend to lose the charm of the original game, plus while bringing some modern gaming conveniences it's not unheard of for them to have modern sensibilities too - we've lost "So long gay Bowser" but I can live with that as it's from a specific version of the original game, but in other games there are far more egregious examples - I fear for the Mafia remake.

Anyway, moving away from the standard entitled gamer bullshit that infests the gaming side here, it turned up in the post with a thud, scaring the shit out of my cats. I am of course working but decided to sneak in a quick half hour on Mario 64 as I intend to go in chronological order. It's definitely retro but I'm a guy who enjoys playing old Atari ST games and have been having fun with Final Fantasy 7 on the Switch so I might not be the person most bothered by such things. Controls take some getting used to with Mario being a bit more slidey than I'm used to and the camera is definitely of its time though I do quite like the semi-controlled camera in some ways - it allows some cleverness in almost turning it into a 2D game in parts. Racked up the first 2 stars before heading back to work.

I will say it looks great on my big TV, no noticeable signs of lag or framerate issues and personally 30fps looks fine to me. Overall I'm happy - can't wait to get stuck in in 4 hours when I'm finished work!

To be honest if they were going to completely rework 64 to be Odyssey style then I'd argue they are better off just making an all new game instead.

I don't see the merit in remaking 64 all over again when all you really get out of it is a classic game completely removed from its context of being one of the most historic of all time.

Its like watching an old black and white movie. Or watching 80s and 90s movies on an old school film projector. Or listening to an all time great album on vinyl.

Plus we've all seen the soulless Disney live action remakes. It's kind of sad that old stuff is seen as "not relevant" anymore and needs to be torn down and built up with modern tech.

Folks really wanted this to be a tear down and rebuild of 64 just so that it looks and feels modern.

It isn't a modern game though.

Can't it just be enioyed on its own merits?

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
My copy arrived this morning but I'm unlikely to get time to play it until Monday evening.

I've never played any of these games so it's all going to be new for me!

To be honest I'm only really looking forward to playing Galaxy as I'm not sure how well 64 and Sunshine will have aged without me having any nostalgia for them. I will definitely start with 64 though and see if it grabs me enough to keep on playing.

diffusionx

Gold Member

i just wanna shoot water from a backpack and run around small planets bro

carlosrox

Banned
The fucking crying about this collection is pathetic, faux outrage bullshit at its finest.

These games all look great.

Sunshine and Galaxy in particular look super clean. It's crazy how gorgeous these games are/were. Feels like they weren't done justice til now.

My only real complaint is how the star bit cursor hangs around the screen unless you sort of point away and let it disappear and that it can't be controlled manually with the right stick.

Hopefully they have a patch for some of the controls stuff.

mcjmetroid

The fucking crying about this collection is pathetic, faux outrage bullshit at its finest.

These games all look great.

Sunshine and Galaxy in particular look super clean. It's crazy how gorgeous these games are/were. Feels like they weren't done justice til now.

My only real complaint is how the star bit cursor hangs around the screen unless you sort of point away and let it disappear and that it can't be controlled manually with the right stick.

Hopefully they have a patch for some of the controls stuff.
For me it's not the collection itself but the timing of it. The Switch has always been bashed for its remakes and remasters and most of the time there is a decent balance of both.

But this year.. not so much.

I think people are frustrated with that:

Added in the duration of the sale during a pandemic
Added in the fact that they are not amazing ports

Every "crying" about this is correct. They deserve to feel heat with this, not that they will though.

If you take the game release as its own thing in a bubble then yes it's a decent remaster. Don't think anyone is saying otherwise

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i pre-ordered my physical copy from Walmart, tracking to be here by the end of the day. went into transit late on Wednesday and showed up in my city's FedEx at 7am. feel like this was a good way to go and it won't be long now...

all the people who have never played these before... you guys are in for a real treat! these are three of the greatest 3d platformers of all time.

Last edited:
Camera controls used to be a point in almost every review back during the early 3D days. It’s good they finally figured it out to the point most don’t remember it ever being an issue, but it really does show when you go back and play some of these. Considering this was the first truly 3D game for Nintendo, I’m still impressed how much they got right off the bat.

jigglet

Banned

Preservation is a legit reason, I can't argue with that.

However I have seen people argue on the basis that this is the most profitable for Nintendo (in a good way, for them as a fan). That shit boggles my mind. Why would people go to bat for Nintendo for that? That's what I don't get.

jigglet

Banned
Me and my two brothers agree we didn't expect any of these to look so good, especially the latter two.

Sunshine and Galaxy look fucking gorgeous.

God dammit. Galaxy is probably my fav platformer of all time and I was one of the few that loved the motion controls, but my Joycons have drift. I've gone through 4 Joycons already and I can't bring myself to buy a 5th. I want to play it so bad. I wonder if I can hack my Switch to use a numpad or a regular controller in my left hand, and a Joycon in my right. I got DK Tropical Beat working with a keyboard and it plays brilliantly. 2D platformers are so damn nice with a good quality mechanical keyboard.

HotPocket69

Banned
God dammit. Galaxy is probably my fav platformer of all time and I was one of the few that loved the motion controls, but my Joycons have drift. I've gone through 4 Joycons already and I can't bring myself to buy a 5th. I want to play it so bad. I wonder if I can hack my Switch to use a numpad or a regular controller in my left hand, and a Joycon in my right. I got DK Tropical Beat working with a keyboard and it plays brilliantly. 2D platformers are so damn nice with a good quality mechanical keyboard.

Go get a Pro Controller

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

However I have seen people argue on the basis that this is the most profitable for Nintendo (in a good way, for them as a fan). That shit boggles my mind. Why would people go to bat for Nintendo for that? That's what I don't get.

You'll hate my post at https://www.neogaf.com/threads/in-d...price-for-stuff-higher-prices-are-ok.1566599/ then - though it's not so much from a love of company X but rather that when people actually pay for stuff it keeps the ecosystem a lot healthier than if they don't.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Go get a Pro Controller

The other good option is the 8bitdo controller.

6116IhlIHrL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Cheaper than Nintendo's controllers and if my mega-drive one is anything to go by it's robust and feels great in the hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyliini

The store from where I preordered did not deliver today, so I decided to check local department store if they had one. And they did! Even better, they had a campaign where you can get 15% off from goods if you are a premium customer, which I am. Therefore I only paid 51€ from this. Everything went better than expexted.

Saruhashi

Banned

That's kind of simple too.

I don't personally care about Nintendo's profits.
I buy the games I want from them.
I don't buy the ones I don't want.

However, it IS objectively good if Nintendo keeps making money because then they can invest that money in to creating more games.

So when the next new 3D Mario comes along it was likely funded by their current releases.

I don't see the need for them to invest heavily in what is basically just a "Best of" collection.
So long as they do take the time to invest in whatever 3D (or 2D) Mario comes next.

To be honest getting into it about how these companies do financially is a bit dull since all we really want is some games to play.

Last edited:
My copy arrived this morning but I'm unlikely to get time to play it until Monday evening.

I've never played any of these games so it's all going to be new for me!

To be honest I'm only really looking forward to playing Galaxy as I'm not sure how well 64 and Sunshine will have aged without me having any nostalgia for them. I will definitely start with 64 though and see if it grabs me enough to keep on playing.

I'm really jealous of the people who haven't played these games yet. This will be my 1000th playthrough of Mario 64 and I'm still very excited about it. The game aged somewhat, but it's very playable and the controls are absolutely AWESOME for such an early 3D title. It's fun to compare it to Odyssey, you'd expect to be a blowout but it isn't.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really jealous of the people who haven't played these games yet. This will be my 1000th playthrough of Mario 64 and I'm still very excited about it. The game aged somewhat, but it's very playable and the controls are absolutely AWESOME for such an early 3D title. It's fun to compare it to Odyssey, you'd expect to be a blowout but it isn't.

M64 is pretty cool from the half hour I had with it. I'm definitely struggling to get precision with my jumping, though to be fair I have that problem in general with 3D games, but in this case for instance on the early bit I can't get mario on top of the smaller block, nor can I position over it for a smash - it almost feels like I'm bouncing off something in the jump.

Mario 64 is still great. It's been a while since I played more than a few minutes, and I'm surprised at how will it still holds up.

The camera still bothers me though.

M64 is pretty cool from the half hour I had with it. I'm definitely struggling to get precision with my jumping, though to be fair I have that problem in general with 3D games, but in this case for instance on the early bit I can't get mario on top of the smaller block, nor can I position over it for a smash - it almost feels like I'm bouncing off something in the jump.
Back in the day you had to make sure you set your camera angle first at a slight diagonal so you get some depth, then jump and watch your shadow on the ground. It gets easier in later games with a smoother camera that can be moved while moving more easily.

I think they gave Mario the punches specifically because it's harder to jump on Goombas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom