• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars Graphics Comparison: Mario 64 (Switch vs. N64)

Not only is the fan made PC version of Mario 64 is far superior to the official version, it's also the best way to play the game period. Even Mario is ashamed of Nintendo.

o8zU5aS.jpg

Rob_27

I'm just happy I can play Mario 64 on the switch.

What I don't understand is why Nintendo have not made available the whole catalogue of N64 / Game cube games on the store. Sell each game for a reasonable price say 9.99 and they wouldnt know what to do with all the money they would have made.

I would love to play the old classics I did when younger on more powerful hardware or handheld.

Kdad

What I don't understand is why Nintendo have not made available the whole catalogue of N64 / Game cube games on the store. Sell each game for a reasonable price say 9.99 and they wouldnt know what to do with all the money they would have made.

I would love to play the old classics I did when younger on more powerful hardware or handheld.
Because they are going to sell this shit...right here...for multiple times the price and people buy it?

BlackTron

"Dude Mario's 35th is coming up in like a few months, we need to go gold soon."

"Yeah man, you remembered the ROMS right? Throw that shit up so we can make it out of the office before the dispensary closes"

Codes 208

Not only is the fan made PC version of Mario 64 is far superior to the official version, it's also the best way to play the game period. Even Mario is ashamed of Nintendo.

o8zU5aS.jpg
I feel like this is a “no shit” kind of thing. Whether it’s official support or emulation, the pc version would look better regardless.

would people not agree that the BotW rom running 4k with a solid framerate looks and plays better than the actual BotW at 900p running at 30fps with plenty of dips?

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
So it's basically just the same game running on an enhanced emulator?

Only real difference I notice is a small resolution bump.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Some of the textures show up a looooooot better, and the frame rate dips are gone.

Obviously, it's subtle, but I'll take it. I'm wondering how responsive the controls will be compared to the original.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
looks so good.
So it's basically just the same game running on an enhanced emulator?

Only real difference I notice is a small resolution bump.
no, there are new textures. look at the Boo painting. the UI seems to have been re-drawn too.

88ooxaS.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

The blurry FMVs in Galaxy looked bad in 2007, so I’m really glad they got touched up/used the uncompressed version/whatever. I can’t imagine how it would have looked now.

Likewise, it’s a small thing, but the Mario 64 UI and 2D stuff replacement (maybe some textures) is really appreciated. Again, that stuff was looking really bad as long ago as the Wii version.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

I've been wanting to play Star Fox 64 again for literally decades.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've been wanting to play Star Fox 64 again for literally decades.

Some of you guys need to take things into your own hands. Life is short. Don’t wait for Nintendo to decide that old releases line up with their current goals. Get out there, get some kind of emulation situation/classic console + CRT TV, and play it for yourself, and have the fun you’ve been wanting.

Last edited:

Stuart360

lol, one of the streamers i watch has literally been playing that HD version on PC the last few days, and it looks awesome. This version looks crap.
Nintendo should of just used that version, paid off the modder or something.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Some of you guys need to take things into your own hands. Life is short. Don’t wait for Nintendo to decide that old releases line up with their current goals. Get out there, get some kind of emulation situation/classic console + CRT TV, and play it for yourself, and have the fun you’ve been wanting.
I don't disagree. I actually have a N64 but no CRT, and the HDMI converters are ridiculously expensive. Might go the other route at some point, especially since I own all the carts I'd want.

DrCheese

looks so good.

no, there are new textures. look at the Boo painting. the UI seems to have been re-drawn too.

*snip*

Those are just the original high res textures uncompressed - They've tweaked the emulator to load them instead of the compressed ones that would have had to fit on a cartridge back in the day.

Am I the only one who thinks that Mario64 is not that good? I'm grateful that it was the first 3d game but It just never clicked with me or felt good. Galaxy is the best game in the series ... come at me bros.

Top Bottom