• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3d All Stars coming this September 18th Until March 31st

Impotaku

Well, I guess I am the sucker then.. lol.
I have bought original 3DS at full launch price too. ($249) ... at least they gave out those Ambassador VC games, but still.... ;)

Maybe next time, I won't be so gullible... (looks at George McFly...)

you can join the rest of us then who preordered, i was gonna get it anyway regardless of it's limited release. Let the babys cry about how it's terrible to be buying this. If i want something i buy it, i don't give a shit.

Klayzer

Yeah, but don't you think Sony and MS wished their games sold for $60 instead of $20 several years after release?
Yeah, im sure they wish their customer base would do the same. Fortunately, for us consumers, they have to price their games a certain way to compete in a very competitive 3rd party market.

I will give Nintendo credit though, they hardly ever waver on their pricing structure, whether the game is highly successful or not.

carlosrox

Banned
Honestly I forgot to take into account people buying a Switch after that date not being able to get it so it is stupid, I can't deny that.

However any gamer who follows games has lots of time to get a Switch/this game so there's little excuse for those people.

It does suck for people buying the Switch 4 yrs into its life cycle though.

Saruhashi

Banned
Of course. They probably have nothing lined up for the holidays because of covid or something else. Front load all the sales. Makes sense.

I'd say you are onto something there.

It is a very odd decision to say the least. Especially if you look at sales patterns for most games.

Most games are selling a large majority of their lifetime sales in the first month. Then you see them going on discount as the sales dry up.

Even Nintendo's long term sellers are selling more units and launch and then making sales down the line from new console owners.

Weird to bring out a game and then have a 6 month window during which it can be bought. Maybe some kind of experiment to see if they can add to the usual rush at launch by creating a secondary rush in March.

Don't think they'd be able to do that very often though, if ever again, so maybe there is some angle that relates to Covid.

Such a strange decision that can't even be explained by manufacturing scarcity or FOMO since the game will be available to buy for six entire months and there is no stock shortages with digital downloads.

This may well be their idea to counter the impact of Covid. Who knows?

Rambone

Looks like Nintendo got ahold of Chris Roberts playbook or the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition . Create artificial scarcity to spur your customers into making impulse buys, well played.

Imagine:

Limited run till march, physical and digital.

Then Switch pro comes out and they will replace this pack with a new one including Galaxy 2 and some other improvements. People will need to double dip if they wanna play Galaxy 2, cause it will be only tied to the new 60$ pack. xD

I mean even Nintendo wouldn't be that scummy right?

This is exactly what I expect they would do.

Ikutachi

So next year we get Zelda Collection, right? :messenger_face_screaming:
QQlMuY4.jpg

A rerelease of this with Majora's Mask issues unresolved.

mcjmetroid

I have a few problems with this.

1: galaxy and sunshine are going to play worse. Sunshine needs analog triggers .. the game was built around this.. I'm not sure people release how important this was/is . Ive tried playing sunshine with controller that don't have this through emulation and its half the game.

And galaxy.. can't play properly in handheld. I've heard they need the touch screen for the star cursor.
I'm also unconvinced of the accuracy of the switch pointer in general.

2: you can play Mario 64 on an emulator in 16:9 and it looks fine and in 1080p. What happened here?

3: galaxy 2 being left out is weird. Just throw it on FFS

By the way those wondering why it is a limited release.. I'm guessing they're gonna eventually drip 64 anyway to their N64 switch online.

McCheese

£50 seems way too expensive, but isn't too bad when you break it down

The games are prob worth £20 or so, and then the soundtrack menu will let you listen to that dry dry docks music on loop which is easily worth the remaining £30.

I might even buy a switch lite just so I can keep the music on 24/7

TLZ

Banned
They’ve got Pikimin 3 and the Mario’s lol all ports

They already made such an insane killing off Animal Crossing you can see they give zero fucks about the holiday 🤣
This limited run collection is anything but "zero fucks". This is an easy cash grab, especially being a limited run making people topple over each other to buy.

TLZ

Banned
My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony wants all Sony losers to be reminded that Nintendo is the richest company in Japan. And that all PlayStation games get discounted to $10 within a year of release. And that Nintendo games are fun and spark joy, therefore they retain their value.

You're always posting about this friend who is a Nintendo fanboy. Sometimes I get the feeling you're talking about yourself 😉

I was talking to one of my friends about this and I came to the conclusion that I would be more accepting of the half-assedness of the ports if they had some cool stuff like unlockable interviews/commentary that would play while you play a certain level or hidden video interviews like in the Bioshock remaster. Or things like concept art, 3D model galleries. Stuff that actually celebrates these games more than dumping roms/isos into emulators.

My friend who is a Nintendo fanboy who hates Sony wants all Sony losers to be reminded that Nintendo is the richest company in Japan. And that all PlayStation games get discounted to $10 within a year of release. And that Nintendo games are fun and spark joy, therefore they retain their value.

Ah yes. Your friend is the true unsung hero of NeoGAF, the one CHAD to rule them all. He has to join in!

Last edited:

1: galaxy and sunshine are going to play worse. Sunshine needs analog triggers .. the game was built around this.. I'm not sure people release how important this was/is . Ive tried playing sunshine with controller that don't have this through emulation and its half the game.

And galaxy.. can't play properly in handheld. I've heard they need the touch screen for the star cursor.
I'm also unconvinced of the accuracy of the switch pointer in general.

2: you can play Mario 64 on an emulator in 16:9 and it looks fine and in 1080p. What happened here?

3: galaxy 2 being left out is weird. Just throw it on FFS

By the way those wondering why it is a limited release.. I'm guessing they're gonna eventually drip 64 anyway to their N64 switch online.

That's a good point.

FYI you can play galaxy and sunshine at 1080p for the past 5 years on Dolphin using a PC toaster (along with 60fps which is not available with this 'limited release')

You can get Mario 64 for $10 on Wii U and play it on the gamepad.

Yeah yeah 'dont like it, dont buy it' but I wished I knew this was going to be the kind of output (ports galore) from Nintendo before buying the Switch.

Live and learn.

MagnesG

Banned
That's a good point.

FYI you can play galaxy and sunshine at 1080p for the past 5 years on Dolphin using a PC toaster (along with 60fps which is not available with this 'limited release')

You can get Mario 64 for $10 on Wii U and play it on the gamepad.

Yeah yeah 'dont like it, dont buy it' but I wished I knew this was going to be the kind of output (ports galore) from Nintendo before buying the Switch.

Live and learn.
Yeah just sell your switch, and bye bye.

Clarissa

Banned
You're always posting about this friend who is a Nintendo fanboy. Sometimes I get the feeling you're talking about yourself 😉
I'm a Sony fan. Not a Nintendo fan.

Anyway the Nintendo fans here got nothing on my friend. They're not on the same level.

Lionel Richie is at best Westlife

Magnus G is probably N'Sync
Joost might be Backstreet Boys.

My friend is The Beatles. He's a legend amongst the Nintendo fans.

When my friend dies, Nintendo is probably going to carve his likeness in a wall in their headquarters like how the past Hokage's faces are carved into the stone wall in Naruto.

Talk about laziness. There was absolutely no effort put into these ports at all. They just happen to take 3 ROM dumps, do minimal work onto these, stick them inside of a cartridge & digital download & called it a day. They didn't even include Mario Galaxy 2, & that's one of Mario's most critically acclaimed 3D games right next to Mario 64 & Odyssey. Kirby, Zelda & even Metroid had received better treatments throughout their collections & their remasters & remakes of older games.

And this isn't the first time that it's happened to a Mario compilation, either. It also happened back on the Wii with the Super Mario All-Stars collection on the Wii, in which it's just the SNES versions of SMB 1-3 & The Lost Levels on one disc, & charged $50 for it. And to add insult to injury, it was a limited release just like this upcoming collection is now, which is very insulting.

Even other companies such as Activision had done a better job with Crash 1-3 & Spyro 1-3, & had only charged $40 for each collection. What was Nintendo thinking? And they're asking $60 for these? Not going to happen for me. I'd rather put that towards Super Mario 3D World, in which I haven't even played it & it's getting much better treatment than this so-called "collection".

This is incredibly low effort even by Nintendo standards.

They get good sales after the wii u disaster that almost shut them down and they can't even bother doing a proper job?

Nintendo has plenty of money to last them for a long while. They happen to be the richest company in Japan by far:

The Wii U hasn't even affected them bigly as the cost of each of those consoles wasn't exactly humongous like it was with the PS3 & 360, & that console sold even worse than Gamecube. In fact, Nintendo made money on the Wii U simply from the attachment rate for their games.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I'm a Sony fan. Not a Nintendo fan.

Anyway the Nintendo fans here got nothing on my friend. They're not on the same level.

Lionel Richie is at best Westlife

Magnus G is probably N'Sync
Joost might be Backstreet Boys.

My friend is The Beatles. He's a legend amongst the Nintendo fans.

When my friend dies, Nintendo is probably going to carve his likeness in a wall in their headquarters like how the past Hokage's faces are carved into the stone wall in Naruto.

i... I’m okay with this.

I won’t hold it against you that you got my name wrong.

Talk about laziness. There was absolutely no effort put into these ports at all. They just happen to take 3 ROM dumps, stick them inside of a cartridge & digital download, do minimal work onto these & called it a day. They didn't even include Mario Galaxy 2, & that's one of Mario's most critically acclaimed 3D games right next to Mario 64 & Odyssey. Kirby, Zelda & even Metroid had received better treatments throughout their collections & their remasters & remakes of older games.

And this isn't the first time that it's happened to a Mario compilation, either. It also happened back on the Wii with the Super Mario All-Stars collection on the Wii, in which it's just the SNES versions of SMB 1-3 & The Lost Levels on one disc, & charged $50 for it. And to add insult to injury, it was a limited release just like this upcoming collection is now, which is very insulting.

Even other companies such as Activision had done a better job with Crash 1-3 & Spyro 1-3, & had only charged $40 for each collection. What was Nintendo thinking? And they're asking $60 for these? Not going to happen for me. I'd rather put that towards Super Mario 3D World, in which I haven't even played it & it's getting much better treatment than this so-called "collection".

Nintendo has plenty of money to last them for a long while. They happen to be the richest company in Japan by far:

The Wii U hasn't even affected them bigly as the cost of each of those consoles wasn't exactly humongous like it was with the PS3 & 360, & that console sold even worse than Gamecube. In fact, Nintendo made money on the Wii U simply from the attachment rate for their games.
And yet Nintendo fanboys are in exctasy with this bs.

BlackTron

I wonder if they let you use a Gamecube controller?

Clarissa

Banned
Talk about laziness. There was absolutely no effort put into these ports at all. They just happen to take 3 ROM dumps, stick them inside of a cartridge & digital download, do minimal work onto these & called it a day. They didn't even include Mario Galaxy 2, & that's one of Mario's most critically acclaimed 3D games right next to Mario 64 & Odyssey. Kirby, Zelda & even Metroid had received better treatments throughout their collections & their remasters & remakes of older games.

Jooxed Jooxed Lionel Richie Lionel Richie MagnesG MagnesG S Saruhashi

NINTENCHADS ASSEMBLE AND DESTROY THIS HEATHEN!!!

xdiD2Oz.jpg

Btw Saruhashi, you're probably around New Kids On The Block level.

Last edited:

BlackTron

According to gamexplain. Sort of...

Like you can use the GameCube controller BUT it won't work with the abqlog triggers. So it would be pointless.

This is stupid enough I almost don't want the collection. I like the idea of all Mario's consolidated on one system, but I already have all these games. All this for a nerfed version? Meh...

Edit: Back up, I'm aware you can use a GC controller on Switch already. I meant special compatibility with the game, so the analog triggers would work with Sunshine specifically.

Another edit: "The official Japanese website for Super Mario 3D All-Stars clearly states that the GameCube controller is not supported in Super Mario Sunshine."

So yeah, they screwed it up. Why do I have this GC USB adapter again? Sorry...I'm out.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

This is stupid enough I almost don't want the collection. I like the idea of all Mario's consolidated on one system, but I already have all these games. All this for a nerfed version? Meh...

Edit: Back up, I'm aware you can use a GC controller on Switch already. I meant special compatibility with the game, so the analog triggers would work with Sunshine specifically.

Another edit: "The official Japanese website for Super Mario 3D All-Stars clearly states that the GameCube controller is not supported in Super Mario Sunshine."

So yeah, they screwed it up. Why do I have this GC USB adapter again? Sorry...I'm out.
I'm hearing conflicting reports but the fact is to have a GameCube controller be compatible. You're going to need 2 versions of the controls and that just isn't happening I'm afraid.

carlosrox

Banned
They fucking censored "so long gay Bowser" didn't they?

They better not have changed Mario's voice in 64 cuz it's classic.

BlackTron

I'm hearing conflicting reports but the fact is to have a GameCube controller be compatible. You're going to need 2 versions of the controls and that just isn't happening I'm afraid.

They have to nerf it so that people using normal Switch controller options aren't "left out". Smash can tell the difference between different controller types just fine. This is like taking the gamepad out of BOTW on Wii U, but in this case, it's already an old game which already had the feature AND the necessary controller is already available and in fact went back into manufacturing as an official product.

This kind of shit is why I went from being a Nintendo die hard fan to just thinking they're pretty good.

BlackTron

They will start selling the 3 games individually, reaping in more cash for their 2nd quarterly report.

Here's an idea, wait until after March 31 to announce the Switch DX, of course anyone who buys that won't be able to buy Mario anymore, they will have to wait for the next limited window offer. Maybe this time with better features, so all the suckers who already bought them can buy em AGAIN.

This intense Disney vault type technique is getting a bit over the top. It's getting borderline creepy to me.

Top Bottom