• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 128 ft. Dunkey - DidYouKnowGaming

-Arcadia-

Banned
I had forgotten Mario 128 was such a thing until it’s resurgence in recent times (which itself is interesting). Sunshine makes a lot more sense when you realize it wasn’t supposed to be the only Mario game for six years after 64, and 5 years before Galaxy.

Whatever it was, and it remains difficult to get a bead on that (I feel the Mario 128 demo is just a cute pun, and gets credited too much as the product), I’d love to see it someday, just as a fascinating historical reveal.

It’s a shame that big Nintendo leak didn’t unearth this.

I've hated evey Mario after 64 (minus the Galaxy games). I understand why now.

It's time to give us a collection with the 2 GC versions and the DD 64 original. This would be glorious.

I had forgotten Mario 128 was such a thing until it’s resurgence in recent times (which itself is interesting). Sunshine makes a lot more sense when you realize it wasn’t supposed to be the only Mario game for six years after 64, and 5 years before Galaxy.

Whatever it was, and it remains difficult to get a bead on that (I feel the Mario 128 demo is just a cute pun, and gets credited too much as the product), I’d love to see it someday, just as a fascinating historical reveal.

It’s a shame that big Nintendo leak didn’t unearth this.
Yeah, I thought it was interesting how in the end some of the ideas made their way to other Nintendo releases. Hard to imagine Super Mario Galaxy's stage design of sphere walking on the Nintendo 64 because it's so different. Even harder to imagine is what direction exactly Nintendo will go next with a new 3D Mario. I love Super Mario 64 and the DS port was also great but I also like that with Nintendo you never really know what you're going to get next, so it could be a sequel to Odyssey or something completely different.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Its a shame, Miyamoto wanted Mario to return to his more experimental art direction roots and nintendo wanted branding. branding won and weve been stuck with a Mario that has looked exactly the same for 20 years now instead of the quirky ever shifting designs of the 80s and early 90s.
He returned as supervisory director for Starfox Zero, and that's easily one of the most experimental Nintendo games ever. I also think it's one of the most underrated Nintendo games ever. Lots of people these days can't appreciate new things, and just want incremental improvement on things they liked in the past.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Good video. Somewhat related but it really bothers me when people attribute often attribute Miyamoto's "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" to the every day sort of delays we see in the industry. Often times we see games get delayed, sometimes we end up with The Witcher III, Persona 5, or Bioshock other times we end up with Duke Nuke 'Em Forever or Perfect Dark Zero. Sometimes games just need to be canned or completely restarted. Nintendo doesn't succumb to the sunk cost fallacy. They'll not only delay games but cancel them entirely if they fail to come together in a way that satisfies them. Nintendo has even cancelled games that were complete-Star Fox 2 sat complete and unreleased for 25 years. Not every developer is brave enough to make the decision to cancel or restart development and sadly in many cases cannot afford to.

Even when Nintendo was in rough shape with the Gamecube and Wii U they still made the choice to delay and massively retool games like Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild. Even Nintendo's "rushed" titles like Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine are still incredibly polished and revered games. It is rare that they miss.

Nintendo has scrapped and cancelled a ton of games. They often avoid having to publicly cancel games as it is rare that they announce or talk about games until they feel confident in the game's concept. We know about games like Mario 128, Fire Emblem 64, and Giant Robot but there are so many more that never saw a public announcement. I cannot even imagine how many concepts have been scrapped that we don't know anything about.

Good video. Somewhat related but it really bothers me when people attribute often attribute Miyamoto's "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" to the every day sort of delays we see in the industry. Often times we see games get delayed, sometimes we end up with The Witcher III, Persona 5, or Bioshock other times we end up with Duke Nuke 'Em Forever or Perfect Dark Zero. Sometimes games just need to be canned or completely restarted. Nintendo doesn't succumb to the sunk cost fallacy. They'll not only delay games but cancel them entirely if they fail to come together in a way that satisfies them. Nintendo has even cancelled games that were complete-Star Fox 2 sat complete and unreleased for 25 years. Not every developer is brave enough to make the decision to cancel or restart development and sadly in many cases cannot afford to.

Even when Nintendo was in rough shape with the Gamecube and Wii U they still made the choice to delay and massively retool games like Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild. Even Nintendo's "rushed" titles like Wind Waker and Super Mario Sunshine are still incredibly polished and revered games. It is rare that they miss.

Nintendo has scrapped and cancelled a ton of games. They often avoid having to publicly cancel games as it is rare that they announce or talk about games until they feel confident in the game's concept. We know about games like Mario 128, Fire Emblem 64, and Giant Robot but there are so many more that never saw a public announcement. I cannot even imagine how many concepts have been scrapped that we don't know anything about.
Yeah, but on the other hand there were also games that they should have either been retooled or canceled such as Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, and Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Games that, while not anywhere near the scale of a new 3D Mario or Legend of Zelda, still ended up disappointing.

Metroid Dread is one such game we also know about which I would love to have seen what it looked like before it was canceled. Especially since I really enjoyed Metroid Fusion back in the day, I continue to wait for the day Nintendo officially announce Metroid 5. But that might not be for a while since it appears they're taking longer to develop Metroid Prime 4.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Yeah, but on the other hand there were also games that they should have either been retooled or canceled such as Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, and Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Games that, while not anywhere near the scale of a new 3D Mario or Legend of Zelda, still ended up disappointing.

Metroid Dread is one such game we also know about which I would love to have seen what it looked like before it was canceled. Especially since I really enjoyed Metroid Fusion back in the day, I continue to wait for the day Nintendo officially announce Metroid 5. But that might not be for a while since it appears they're taking longer to develop Metroid Prime 4.

Certainly. They've put out a few games that didn't completely land but they are few and far between. I think the biggest problem particularly with titles like Federation Force and Amiibo Festival is the fact that they retailed a full price and were released without proper mainline games existing beside them. I think that sort of thing creates a perception of them being in lieu of the main titles.

Yeah, there are a handful of canceled/retooled games that we learned about publicly that I would love to see more of like Metroid Dread, Ura Zelda+Zelda 64, and Fire Emblem 64 just to name a few. As the "gigaleak" has shown Nintendo has a ton of unused ideas and concepts in "the vault".

I do believe that you'll get Metroid 5 sooner rather than later.

All that said though, when Nintendo delays a game they aren't afraid to go to drastic lengths including restarting development entirely to get things right whereas other developers often use delays to iterate and refine what they've already built.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this was really cool.

it's a shame we probably will never get to see those various prototypes.

still really cool that all these unused things eventually found a home in various games.

Miyamoto was a madman who had his hand in so many pies during the early 3D era. the man is a legend.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
I have always been sceptical on whether Super Mario 128 ever was in production. There were probably some 64DD experiments, and there was that GCN tech demo, and then Nintendo skipped to Sunshine, and fully realised the ideas in Galaxy. I feel we would have eventually got some proof it it existed as an actual game project, not just tech experiments.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I have always been sceptical on whether Super Mario 128 ever was in production. There were probably some 64DD experiments, and there was that GCN tech demo, and then Nintendo skipped to Sunshine, and fully realised the ideas in Galaxy. I feel we would have eventually got some proof it it existed as an actual game project, not just tech experiments.
I imagine there are probably a handful of concepts floating around Kyoto for both N64 and GameCube but I don't suspect that it ever made it beyond that. Nintendo has always excelled at rapid prototyping.

Top Bottom