• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Kiwi 64 - Coming December 2nd, 2022

jaysius

Banned
Indie devs need to understand that people loved the old basic 3D games because they were the best we had at that time. You can't manufacture fake nostalgia in 2022 like this. You can't cover up lack of artistic talent with "we're doing old school".

We don't need an entire era of shitty basic 3D platformers from all these indies.

nkarafo

Low def and low poly visuals need good artistic direction. Banjo-Kazooie and DK 64 still look better than this. They don't look similar just because they share the same poly counts.

I also prefer the Yooka-Laylee approach. Which is basically "what would Banjo-Kazooie look like if it was made today" deal. You can emulate the gameplay and feel but you don't necessarily have to emulate the hardware constraints IMO.

Indie devs need to understand that people loved the old basic 3D games because they were the best we had at that time. You can't manufacture fake nostalgia in 2022 like this. You can't cover up lack of artistic talent with "we're doing old school".

We don't need an entire era of shitty basic 3D platformers from all these indies.

Which also applies to the countless "retro" indie pixel art games that are made by very young people who never played such game on a real CRT.

Jinzo Prime

I grew up with these N64 3D platformers and I would love more games in this style, if they nail the small details.

Expansive but dense levels, lots of small challenges, wacky characters, excellent music, great art direction, it all has to be there to pull it off. A Hat In Time pulled off Mario Sunshine/Wind Waker pretty well, for example.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's from beautiful and fucked up game Toree 3d devs and I like gliding so I'm interested. But there should be an age filter for the scary parts.
Noone cares if these devs actually have a good track record and make good games, we're here to bash graphics and talk about how indie devs suck in general because one/every game we don't like represents them all. Get with the program!

Well this one person making cheap as fuck and fun games even, because hey just because he's making 90s style games he should be able to match what whole teams of talented folks paid by big corpos like Nintendo were making back then.

Toree was ace, folks can prefer to only play games like A Hat in Time but I preferred more modest looking stuff like that or Poi because to me they nailed the gameplay more than most other 3D platform alternatives, whether indie or not 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Looks interesting at least. The character fast running animation is funny though.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Where's the kiwi?
Kiwi the bird, not kiwi the fruit. They look a bit different.
1*qsTG6VSLkZBDOWHDjiYDMg.jpeg

Top Bottom