• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive director Marcus Smith says he would ‘love’ to make a sequel

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
So much of the SO team overlaps with Spider Man though, it's hard to see them resting that to do another SO.

Insomniac actually owns a lot of IP from their time working with other first parties. I would like to see them do another Stormland, which was a great game that I think got undersupported because the Sony buyout deprioritized their other stuff.

And that's why we can't have nice things and why all AAA games have been identical boring clones for years now, people just don't want fun and original games. Not surprising arcade type games are dead.

We really need this arcadey stuff back in action. Not all games need to be some pretentious cinematic rollercoaster. There should be space for edgey, juvenile, over the top, and "dumb fun" too. What ever happened to some variety?

I would actually buy a PS5 for this. Easily one of the best games for the xbox one, no other game like it. You'd think neogaf would give more praise since its the only game i can think of that mentions this site.

Last edited:

the_master

I would love to. Definitely not for the stories but for the gameplay. I would rather love it if they made it even more light hearted a d colorfull, without the awkward nerds and decadent wlements just fancy amusement parks and city, full of mutants and grinds <3

Kokoloko85

Do a port/remaster etc but spend that valuable money and time on something else.
You have Spiderman + Ratchet

Id rather see a new Resistance or new IP instead of a new Overdrive

Keihart

Good news for me, first one was really good, even more so considering it was a new IP.

Iteration and expansion of the concept might do wonders for a sequel, i would really love for a sequel to have faster traversal and combat and maybe some better writing, while the game is all goof, the story parts can get too self indulgent and cringe sometimes.

Keihart

So much of the SO team overlaps with Spider Man though, it's hard to see them resting that to do another SO.

Insomniac actually owns a lot of IP from their time working with other first parties. I would like to see them do another Stormland, which was a great game that I think got undersupported because the Sony buyout deprioritized their other stuff.
I'm pretty sure that they have to be working already in something VR for PS5, it only makes sense. They are probably the most experienced VR developer at PS Studios right now, both of their tittles feel super polished in the VR space.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Good news for me, first one was really good, even more so considering it was a new IP.

Iteration and expansion of the concept might do wonders for a sequel, i would really love for a sequel to have faster traversal and combat and maybe some better writing, while the game is all goof, the story parts can get too self indulgent and cringe sometimes.

This does seem like a prime candidate for showing off the enhanced I/O of the consoles, you could have mega fast travel through the city but its literally on "rails" so there is a level of predicability that they can rely on to make sure certain scenarios that would break the loading of assets can't really happen.

I think SO could be a good candidate for just going nuts with physics as well, having the masses of enemies exploded into pieces and litter the environment in a way that really make you feel like you had a big epic battle afterwards.

I really want a flash game with super speed traversal (Something like Infamous: SS or even more so the First Light dlc) but I have a feeling that having total freedom at hyper speed would be too much even with all the new console tech hotness.

One of my disappointments about Miles Morales was how little it changed the fundamentals of web-slinging, they made it look way more dynamic with the tricks into swings and added the Venom powers into the mix but the latter didnt really change much for me because of the way it was tied to the "adrenaline" bar thingie, you could refill them all with tricks within 10 seconds but even with how fast that was, going back and forth between tricks and venom powers became a chore and I wish they had found a way to remove that requirement during travel so you could actually just have fun with using the powers without having it feel so rote so quickly.

I have a feeling (read: hope) that Spiderman 2 will have traversal upgrades akin to grapnel boosting and diving to maintain long flights as Arkham City (and then again with the batmobile "railgun eject" and "ultra boosting" in Arkham Knight) had over Arkham Asylum, that will make the old web-slinging seem really slow in comparison.

Insomniac have better ips in their hands and the possibility to even make something new. I won't bother investing time into an ip with an unsuccessful first chapter

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Really cool game, but I feel like the mechanics, while good, could've been a tad more snappy. There is something missing to really bring it to the next level.

Godot25

Banned
They can release the first game on playstation as insomniac own the rights to the game, that was the deal when microsoft picked up on this game for xbox that insomniac held the property, now sony has bought insomniac they own the rights to sunset overdrive, for me playing through it on my xbox at min and loving it, seriously would love a 4k remaster of this on ps5 and a sequel , but dont no how big a studio insomniac is to have a load of games on the go, considering they bound to be on with spiderman 2 now, although team that done ratchet will be moving onto something new
Nope.

Microsoft has a publishing rights for first game
Insomniac owns IP, so now Sony owns IP.

So if Sony wanted to release first game on PS they would have to ask Microsoft for right to do that. But they are free to publish a sequel to Sunset Overdrive on PS5.

nbkicker

Im sure ive read a interview with someone from insomniac when sony bought them and they asked about sunset overdrive and they said they own it / sony and there is nothing stopping sony or them releasing the first game or doing a follow up for playstation if they wanted to

Last edited:
I really hope they don't. I'd much rather have more Ratchet, Spider-Man, Resistance or a new IP over more Sunset Overdrive.

nbkicker

I really hope they don't. I'd much rather have more Ratchet, Spider-Man, Resistance or a new IP over more Sunset Overdrive.
Well spiderman is a given , ratchet they just finished so depends where the team puts there efforts next, resistance i liked the first one but not the following ones, for me spiderman , sunset overdrive or a new ip from insomniac in next few yrs , although a quick sunset overdrive port from the pc with 4k for the ps5 could be a easy cash grab

zaanan

Banned
It's the "alien" version of Wolfenstein.
I am ok with this, as long as you’re talking New Order / Old Blood.
If you’re talking New Colossus / YoungBlood,
FNzPKV4.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I am ok with this, as long as you’re talking New Order / Old Blood.
If you’re talking New Colossus / YoungBlood,
FNzPKV4.jpg

Also meant it in general. If they revisit this franchise, they can easily compete with the Wolfenstein series.

Larxia

I hope not. The game was a snore feast.
It's like one of the most fun, engaging games I have ever played, so calling it a snore feast is super extreme. You just don't like arcade games probably, but for people like me who do, it's really a perfect game, there isn't a single thing that I disliked in this game, it was a 100% perfect for me. Best traversal gameplay ever, fun missions, good combo system, ton of freedom, amazing visuals, fun open world that doesn't feel repetitive thanks to the fun challenges you can do instead of the usual boring sidequests etc...

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
And that's why we can't have nice things and why all AAA games have been identical boring clones for years now, people just don't want fun and original games. Not surprising arcade type games are dead.

What does SO have to do with arcade games? (which I love) did the trailer with all the colors brainwash you?
that was just the maketing which I thought was cringe at the time since there is nothing fun or original about this game
the gameplay sucked it played like a really shitty dreamcast game honestly LocoCycle was better than this game!

Larxia

What does SO have to do with arcade games? (which I love) did the trailer with all the colors brainwash you?
that was just the maketing which I thought was cringe at the time since there is nothing fun or original about this game
the gameplay sucked it played like a really shitty dreamcast game honestly LocoCycle was better than this game!
I don't even understand your message, why would I be brainwashed by trailers if I loved the game itself?

Anyways, I think one of the biggest weird problems with people and Sunset Overdrive is that for some reason, most people play it in a very boring way, and it doesn't help enjoying the game. Before playing it I never expected it to be this fun, because it looks a lot slower and less crazy in all the videos I can find, people play it like some kind of dead rising with a bit more movements, while when I played it I had ton of fun moving everywhere, doing chains and keeping my combo multiplier getting higher, it was tony hawk with guns, and it was insanely fun. It just seems like people don't even try having fun on it, and just miss all the crazy, fast paced potential it can be.

How is it an arcade game? It's based on a very reactive gameplay with scoring, combo meter and many of the challenges were literally "do the most points to get this medal", it just felt like playing SSX or Tony Hawk or something else similar, I don't know what better way to describe an arcade gameplay.

Sadly I didn't record much gameplay to really show what I mean, and I'm not saying I'm particularly amazing at the game or anything, I consider that I just played it normally, but here's a quick example to kind of show what I mean.
Here's a scene that I liked and recorded to show to some friends back then:

Now, here's the same scene by someone else:

The second video is a lot slower and really doesn't show how fun the game can be, it's like the player doesn't even try, but, everytime I search for videos of this game, it's mostly always like this, people don't do anything and just do the bare minimum, so yeah, it's not fun.

Little bonus with another small clip I recorded

This game has the best traversal gameplay ever, it's so smooth and satisfying, I just love it.

edit: I forgot to say but I also think the game plays a LOT better with keyboard and mouse, as you can instantly turn around or aim anywhere, also change weapons without pause etc, it feels a lot snappier, more freedom in your movements and globally faster, while playing it with controller feels like having some restraints.

Last edited:

nbkicker

I don't even understand your message, why would I be brainwashed by trailers if I loved the game itself?

Anyways, I think one of the biggest weird problems with people and Sunset Overdrive is that for some reason, most people play it in a very boring way, and it doesn't help enjoying the game. Before playing it I never expected it to be this fun, because it looks a lot slower and less crazy in all the videos I can find, people play it like some kind of dead rising with a bit more movements, while when I played it I had ton of fun moving everywhere, doing chains and keeping my combo multiplier getting higher, it was tony hawk with guns, and it was insanely fun. It just seems like people don't even try having fun on it, and just miss all the crazy, fast paced potential it can be.

How is it an arcade game? It's based on a very reactive gameplay with scoring, combo meter and many of the challenges were literally "do the most points to get this medal", it just felt like playing SSX or Tony Hawk or something else similar, I don't know what better way to describe an arcade gameplay.

Sadly I didn't record much gameplay to really show what I mean, and I'm not saying I'm particularly amazing at the game or anything, I consider that I just played it normally, but here's a quick example to kind of show what I mean.

The second video is a lot slower and really doesn't show how fun the game can be, it's like the player doesn't even try, but, everytime I search for videos of this game, it's mostly always like this, people don't do anything and just do the bare minimum, so yeah, it's not fun.

This game has the best traversal gameplay ever, it's so smooth and satisfying, I just love it.

edit: I forgot to say but I also think the game plays a LOT better with keyboard and mouse, as you can instantly turn around or aim anywhere, also change weapons without pause etc, it feels a lot snappier, more freedom in your movements and globally faster, while playing it with controller feels like having some restraints.

Totally agree with u, i first played this on pc but only played a hr or so and thought it was average, think because i tried to run and gun, then when got my xbox x and just finshed rift apart decide to get sunset overdrive for my Xbox after 5-6 hrs into the game and loving it, this time it just clicked , bouncing grinding etc while shooting, the different animations after you die, ive picked a female charachter and when u start its like the camera is way to close and she kinda turns and punches it back a bit, i like the humour in this, to me its a refreshing change , the world needs more games like this rather then the constant same boring fortnight shooters etc, that was the best thing about the ps2 era companies wernt afraid to try something new, now its like they afraid to try something new and just stick to making clones of games that done well

Last edited:

Ludicrous Display

Neo Member
It was an Insomniac game in its purest form, excellent movement/mechanics, fun weapons coupled with dogshit reference humour and wink wink nudge nudge 'ha, look we're gamers too' jokes.

Have another crack at Resistance instead lads.

(...)

(...)

Its really cool whenever to see someone stylin' and pulling off a set of moves in rapid succession.

It just really goes to show how a proficient gamer can make a game shine and sell its potential.

Last edited:
Top Bottom