• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive director Marcus Smith says he would ‘love’ to make a sequel

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Related: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/insomniac-would-love-to-make-sunset-overdrive-2.1465836/

Asked if there was still life in the Sunset Overdrive franchise, co-director Marcus Smith told GQ: “I mean, never say never is my approach. Obviously, we’re part of Sony now, but we own the IP and so there’s nothing really stopping us other than we have a lot of really exciting things in our future.”

Pressed on whether he’d like to make another one, Smith responded: “I would. I think there are a lot of stories that can be told in that universe and I would love to return to it. I had a lot of fun making that game.”

Kuranghi

I thought the leaked PS stuff about Sunset Overdrive implied this was already happening, they had two titles and one sounded like a remaster of the original and the other sounded like a sequel, its just speculation in fairness though.

Can't find the thread now, but OP probably posted it actually, you know what I'm talking about?

i would like to see a sequel, just because i thought the original game kinda sucked....but there was potential there, that maybe they could reach given another crack at it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, please. Move on to new IPs and greater things. Ratchet & Clank + Spider-Man + New IP + PSVR2 games.

there’s nothing really stopping us other than we have a lot of really exciting things in our future.

This is good.

I'm pretty sure we'll learn about his next game by Summer 2023. 2022 is for Spider-Man 2. Insomniac will likely be releasing 1 game per year this generation. Exciting stuff.

Larxia

I don't even know if I would want a sequel, because Sunset Overdrive is one of my favorite games ever, it really was the perfect game for me, I loved everything about it, amazing art style and visuals, best traversal gameplay ever, great scoring and missions, amazing flow, but when I see a lot of comments online, it seems that most people would only like a sequel if it was changed a lot, and therefore wouldn't be Sunset Overdrive anymore.

If people want a sequel but only on the condition that it becomes a generic 3rd person shooter like the thousdands that already exist, with less focus on the crazy gameplay, I wouldn't be interested.

Sunset Overdrive is one of the very rare recent big "gamey" game, just pure arcade fun but on AAA scale. It's a miracle that it exists.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Do it, it would probably looks insane too, I think SO it's still one the best looking games on X1 OG|S

Hustler

Anything stopping them from releasing the first game on Playstation? You think they would do that to gauge interest.

nbkicker

First one was ok, not something id rush out to replay again, for me not up to the likes of ratchet and spiderman, put i have faith in insomniac , played all there games , although think they deffently got a game in development for the next psvr since before sony bought them some of there studio was making vr games

Fbh

I don't know if I want a sequel.
I recently played the first one and while it was pretty enjoyable, it was mostly due to the fun Insomniac style weapons. And I think Ratchet already has that covered while simultaneously having nicer art direction and characters.

Though I guess if they vastly improved the open world, mission design and humor a Sunset Overdrive 2 could be fun. Maybe use the next gen horsepower to add some crazy destructible structures or something like that.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
"We have a lot of really exciting things in our future"

Marvel's Black Panther exclusive to PS5, you heard it here 1st folks lol

ACESHIGH

Banned
The only thing that sunset overdrive did wrong was releasing only on Xbox when Xbox hate was at its peak in 2014. If the exact same game was released on Xbox and PC in say... 2019 the reception would have been way better.

Played the game at 1800p on PC and had a blast, quite the looker as well.

The only thing that sunset overdrive did wrong was releasing only on Xbox when Xbox hate was at its peak in 2014. If the exact same game was released on Xbox and PC in say... 2019 the reception would have been way better.

Played the game at 1800p on PC and had a blast, quite the looker as well.

I think the main issue is that most of insomniacs fans are on playstation. Asking them to buy another system to play SSO is a bit much.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Do it, it would probably looks insane too, I think SO it's still one the best looking games on X1 OG|S

One of the very little games on XO that I really cared about, this + Killer Instinct + Forza Horizon. Although I can play them on my PC 4K Ultra, I'm not feeling it this late. Maybe the next Forza Horizon and next Sunset Overdrive (most likely on PS5 as has been licensed by SIE lately).

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One of the very little games on XO that I really cared about, this + Killer Instinct + Forza Horizon. Although I can play them on my PC 4K Ultra, I'm not feeling it this late. Maybe the next Forza Horizon and next Sunset Overdrive (most likely on PS5 as has been licensed by SIE lately).
Gotta be honest, I am attached to Xbox mainly due Forza Horizon, I bought Xbone due to FH2 and since then, even tho PS4 was better, I was gaming on Xbox. Well X360 was my first console, so I have some sort of nostalgic attachment to it. But I always had a playstation as a PS exclusives machine. I am planning PS5 down the line or borrow it from brother and play his games, like year from now. I want to play Ratchet and Clank and also the new Remedy game, which is PS only..

LMJ

Please no, I hated the 1st one for its repetitiveness or at least make some deep changes.

Insomniac are phenomenal at taking what works in a game and improving upon it, and taking what didn't work and scrapping it or reworking it..

If you need proof just remember that the OG Ratchet and Clank had no strafing..

A third person shooter where you couldn't strafe lol

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I really hope they do. Sunset Overdrive was massively underappreciated. It was like a perfect marriage of a shooter and Tony Hawk with a really unique art direction and FANTASTIC animation work. I'm not the biggest punk genre fan, but it wasn't too obtrusive to me for me to care even if it's not my cuppa tea. I even just loved the respawn animations, being respawned from a phonebooth, or dropped off by a UFO was hilarious. Hell, they even gave Neogaf a shoutout in the credits.

Great game and hope to see them do another in the franchise, what they could do with next-gen tech could really let them go crazy in a new game.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

No, please. Move on to new IPs and greater things. Ratchet & Clank + Spider-Man + New IP + PSVR2 games.

This is good.

I'm pretty sure we'll learn about his next game by Summer 2023. 2022 is for Spider-Man 2. Insomniac will likely be releasing 1 game per year this generation. Exciting stuff.
Spider-man will most likely be fall 2023. No need to rush a giant system seller. But who knows. (And a game a year is highly unlikely.)

Marcus Smith clearly teased in his interview that they already have something else planned for after Ratchet, so its clearly not Sunset Overdrive 2. (Good.)

I do wonder if they're gonna make a VR game.

Since we altready have Spiderman as the studio's main franchise, I'd rather take another shot at Resistance or a whole new IP. I love their cartoony style, but I have fond memories of their FPS legacy (Resistance ofc, but I still remember Disruptor for PS1!). Also I'd love to see new VR games with the first party budget treatment.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Spider-man will most likely be fall 2023. No need to rush a giant system seller. But who knows. (And a game a year is highly unlikely.)

Marcus Smith clearly teased in his interview that they already have something else planned for after Ratchet, so its clearly not Sunset Overdrive 2. (Good.)

I believe -- barring unexpected COVID delays -- Spider-Man 2 will release in Fall 2022. God of War Ragnarok to dominate H1 2022, while Spider-Man 2 takes on H2 2022.

A lot depends on how separate Insomniac kept its team #1 (Bryan Intihar's team) and team #3 (Brian Horton's team) during Miles Morales' production. Intihar hasn't worked on anything since releasing Spider-Man PS4 in 2018. Ratchet is being led by Marcus Smith's team, and Miles Morales was led by Horton's team, who joined Insomniac in Spring 2019.

So, assuming all those 3 teams are completely separate and worked independently, Intihar's team would have had 4 years to work on Spider-Man 2 by the time Fall 2022 rolls in. More than enough time to release an awesome, polished, blockbuster sequel.

kyliethicc

I believe -- barring unexpected COVID delays -- Spider-Man 2 will release in Fall 2022. God of War Ragnarok to dominate H1 2022, while Spider-Man 2 takes on H2 2022.

A lot depends on how separate Insomniac kept its team #1 (Bryan Intihar's team) and team #3 (Brian Horton's team) during Miles Morales' production. Intihar hasn't worked on anything since releasing Spider-Man PS4 in 2018. Ratchet is being led by Marcus Smith's team, and Miles Morales was led by Horton's team, who joined Insomniac in Spring 2019.

So, assuming all those 3 teams are completely separate and worked independently, Intihar's team would have had 4 years to work on Spider-Man 2 by the time Fall 2022 rolls in. More than enough time to release an awesome, polished, blockbuster sequel.
Sure, but I doubt they have 3 teams. More like 2 and some extra devs doing pre-production, my guess.

Either way, I bet they announce the next Spider-man this summer. It'd be a good teaser to close a show with.

Shmunter

We need a cinematic FPS out of Sony. Something that will blow our balls off visually, narratively, and gameplay wise.

Perfect plan sir, ship it!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Sure, but I doubt they have 3 teams. More like 2 and some extra devs doing pre-production, my guess.

Either way, I bet they announce the next Spider-man this summer. It'd be a good teaser to close a show with.
They could have three teams. In May 2019, they had roughly 300 employees. That is when they started the production of Miles Morales. Now they have almost 400 people working for them.

And yes, Spider-Man 2 will definitely be presented around E3 2022. Hell, we may even see a small teaser this year during The Game Awards show, who knows!

I would be against the idea of a sequel if this wasnt Insomniac we're talking about.

My only assumption that a sequel to this game, funded by Sony, developed over a few years with a new refreshed Insomniac with all cylinders on fire - would be a worthy entry.

They constantly seem to find ways to improve on the foundations of games they develop, so I would be somewhat okay with a sequel.

kyliethicc

They could have three teams. In May 2019, they had roughly 300 employees. That is when they started the production of Miles Morales. Now they have almost 400 people working for them.

And yes, Spider-Man 2 will definitely be presented around E3 2022. Hell, we may even see a small teaser this year during The Game Awards show, who knows!
If you think the game is coming out Fall 2022, then it will be announced next month in June. Sony always announces their huge AAA games 12-24 months before release (except for new console launch games.) They like having lots of marketing time.

My bet:

God of War was revealed June 2016, shipped April 2018.
God of War 2 was revealed Sept 2020, will ship ~ April 2022.

Spider-man was revealed June 2016, shipped Sept 2018.
Spider-man 2 will be revealed June 2021, will ship ~ Sept 2023.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If you think the game is coming out Fall 2022, then it will be announced next month in June. Sony always announces their huge AAA games 12-24 months before release (except for new console launch games.) They like having lots of marketing time.

My bet:

God of War was revealed June 2016, shipped April 2018.
God of War 2 was revealed Sept 2020, will ship ~ April 2022.

Spider-man was revealed June 2016, shipped Sept 2018.
Spider-man 2 will be revealed June 2021, will ship ~ Sept 2023.
That means we should see it next month! 🔥
Chris Pratt Oh Snap GIF

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Insomniac are phenomenal at taking what works in a game and improving upon it, and taking what didn't work and scrapping it or reworking it..

If you need proof just remember that the OG Ratchet and Clank had no strafing..

A third person shooter where you couldn't strafe lol
Yep sure but I can't be hyped about a sequel of a game I didn't like.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I’ll tell you something. There’s definitely been an attempt to create hype for a sunset overdrive sequel over the last couple of months. It has to be happening. Or someone somewhere is trying to gauge if it makes sense.

I wonder if Sony PR is asking reporters to ask insomniac devs about sunset.

Godot25

Banned
Sunset Overdrive was awesome and I will certainly miss second game (obviously it won't be released on Xbox). But I'm not sure Sony will be interested in doing sequel to underperforming Sunset Overdrive, when they have mega successful Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank series....
Especially when they can't release first game on PlayStation without Microsoft's approval.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Sunset Overdrive was awesome and I will certainly miss second game (obviously it won't be released on Xbox). But I'm not sure Sony will be interested in doing sequel to underperforming Sunset Overdrive, when they have mega successful Spider-Man and Ratchet and Clank series....
Especially when they can't release first game on PlayStation without Microsoft's approval.
Yeah, they should just print the original for PS5. Super low cost, gauge market before rushing into a sequel.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

I think they gave a dedicated team for VR.

I hope they work on a Resistance remake or completely new Resistance game. PSVR2 games, and a new IP.

Larxia

goodness noooooo this game flat out sucked I don't want a sequel on ANY system

I really hope insomniac makes something new instead

Sunset overdrive is, by far, their worst modern game imo

i thought it was juvenile and not fun in any way
And that's why we can't have nice things and why all AAA games have been identical boring clones for years now, people just don't want fun and original games. Not surprising arcade type games are dead.

Last edited:

nbkicker

They can release the first game on playstation as insomniac own the rights to the game, that was the deal when microsoft picked up on this game for xbox that insomniac held the property, now sony has bought insomniac they own the rights to sunset overdrive, for me playing through it on my xbox at min and loving it, seriously would love a 4k remaster of this on ps5 and a sequel , but dont no how big a studio insomniac is to have a load of games on the go, considering they bound to be on with spiderman 2 now, although team that done ratchet will be moving onto something new

Top Bottom