• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden creators announce RPG Eiyuden Chronicle

idrago01

Banned
I can't stand supporting kickstarter though, I wish more of these projects start going to indiegogo as kickstarter continues to fail

KOMANI

KOMANI
Murakami: I think that if heroes from all over the world gather, the scale will increase, so it will be necessary to have a set period, but even so, it will not be a long period like 3 or 4 years. think. The delivery on the Kickstarter page is scheduled for October 2022, so I hope to complete it by about that time.

Fbh

Looks absolutely fantastic!
Hopefully they manage to maintain that look in the final game.

idrago01

Banned
Who was the composer for Suikoden and is he/she still in the industry?
It's miki higashino and it doesn't look as of now she's attached to the project, her wiki says she hasn't done anything video game related since 2007, it's a shame too since the music was such a big part of suikoden, she also did the music to the strategy rpg vandal hearts another great game

teezzy

Banned
Never played a Suikoden before but I've heard amazing things.

Love the art style here. Tasteful anime design still exists? Wow

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Sad that Castlevania and Suikoden have to go this route nowadays. Fuck Konami.
Sorta my thoughts. I'm sure there's a thread on this but...what happened to Konami? Half-a-million to release the game almost independently...that could take some time. I've seen kickstarter campaigns for deal but reviving Suikoden would be well-worth the crowdfunding.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Murayama was asked to come back to Suikoden. He didn’t want to.
vxxqZVN.png

OiLDIm0.png

edit: included cryptic post

fnKdPFV.jpg

Last edited:

Collin

Banned
never played sukioden but love jrpgs and have only heard overwhelmingly positive things about it. i guess nows as good a time as any to dive into it

If this is the route we have to go just so we can play the games we waited far too long for, so be it. There have been a decent amount of spiritual successors that turned out as good as the original.

saintjules

But will the music be this incredible? 11 year old me will never forget hearing these for the first time.

My nostalgia for this game is incredibly high. First PS1 game I owned along with RE1 and Wild Arms.

This game just looks and sounds like the walls in that room!!

You can't tell me they didn't MAKE this game in my gaming room as a kid. My association with it and that room is too high for you to tell me otherwise!!

Don't forget Confrontation with Monsters. So amazing

Just created this on a whim. Matches perfectly. I hope they get the OST right:

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I dig that art style. I'll probably back this and keep my expectations low. Absolutely loved Suikoden back in the day.

I wish I could back the project, but covid is rough on the funds these days. I wish I could help them make it, because I kinda hate buying it after the fact if it comes out because the whole point is they need help creating it.

I know I am over thinking it, but I feel like a Vulture if I just swoop in after it's over to pre order a copy at amazon.

Hmm. Switch and Ps5, but no Ps4 version? I won't get a ps5 for at least 3 years after launch and this is the kinda game I would have on at least two consoles.

Last edited:

Bakkus

After Shenmue, Yooka-Laylee and partially Bloodstained, i'm done being a Kickstarter guinea pig. But I hope this gets funded, regardless. I dislike how RPGMaker the characters look, but the rest looks pretty good.

GeorgPrime

Banned
vbG5oxm.jpg

0Xwn6oB.jpg

Game will be financed via Kickstarter on July 27th.

A lot of additional information in the article.

Early gameplay teaser from IGN Japan:

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/07/sui...ed-heroes-for-ps5-xbox-series-x-switch-and-pc

Iam going to cry right now... if you look at my avatar you can guess why......

I was hoping every year for Suikoden 6 but it wont ever happen so iam fine with this. :D

never played sukioden but love jrpgs and have only heard overwhelmingly positive things about it. i guess nows as good a time as any to dive into it

Fuck do yourself a favor and play at least Suikoden 2. Its great and has one of the best boss fights in gaming history

Last edited:

FStubbs

Theme of the advancing army - the theme I always remember from Suikoden 1.
Luca Blight battle theme - the theme I always remember from Suikoden 2. (Note: I played Suikoden 1 and 2 back to back so for me this was the titanic battle which had been building up for 1 and a half games; the 2nd half of Suikoden 2 was the fallout)
Tinto village theme - Suikoden 2
Duck village theme - I feel like Suikoden 3 and Suikoden 4 musically were not as good, but the celtic version of the Duck village theme in 3 is awesome
Opening theme - Suikoden 4 - probably the most memorable opening theme of any of the games, but that was the high point of Suikoden 4's soundtrack, which was functional but nothing you'd want to listen to outside of the game
Arena - Suikoden 5 - I feel like Suikoden 5 had a pretty good soundtrack - not up to 1 and 2 but definitely better than 3 and 4.
Army battle theme - Suikoden 5

You know you're a suikoden fan when you look at the box art(?) and instantly know who the hero and villain are.

Anyway I'll be backing this. 1 and 2 were 2 of my all time favorite JRPGs. Hell, I even enjoyed tactics.

In the back of my mind though theres that gnawing feeling that I've seen this all before.....but.....where...?

Oh right. Unsung Story. 😑

This is amazing!!!

This is Suikoden through and through, down to the smol plant monsters and the unusual weapon wielded by the protagonist.

The camera zooming in and out as characters act is a fresh take on battle visuals. I'm not sure if the Octopath Traveler aesthetic is the standard to aspire to for indie RPGs--Ideally, old series like Suikoden deserve a full-blown AA budget--but I won't complain.

I might back this if the Kickstarter page is convincing in its message. Murayama has a ton of experience working on games so I guess the project won't be a disaster. I wonder who will handle the music.

Hopefully this game is succeffully developed and sells decently to inspire other great creatives of the JRPG realm (Matsuno) to perform "one last job".

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Looks great! Reminds me of Octopath, but even better.

Hope that Kickstarter goes well so I can buy the game when it's done.

Dark Rider

So far I'm all in on this.
I Hope they make their vision in it's purest form and not let anyone influence their decisions or designs or stores.

I don't know what Yoshitaka Murayama did to Siliconera, but they were very passive aggressive in their interview.

If you distill the interviewers questions down to their essence they amount to:
  • Nowa and Seign are rip offs of Riou and Jowy from Suikoden II, correct?
  • Your past games are racist. What specific actions are you taking to ensure this new game isn't racist again?
  • Your depiction of the only black character in Eiyuden Chronicles is racist. Does that bother you?
  • Japanese Kickstarter games have a bad track record of becoming failures. What have you done to ensure yours won't be?
  • Even though this game is a Suikoden rip off, how will you make it stand out?

That game itself sounds promising and I like the approach they took with the art style.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I wonder who will handle the music.
Apparently it's Michiko Naruke of Wild Arms fame, Motoi Sakubara and others. Michiko Naruke selling doujin compositions at Comiket was honestly depressing since she needs to do more full blown work she's so talented.

Honestly this is amazing.

GeorgPrime

Banned
I don't know what Yoshitaka Murayama did to Siliconera, but they were very passive aggressive in their interview.

• Your past games are racist. What specific actions are you taking to ensure this new game isn't racist again?
  • Your depiction of the only black character in Eiyuden Chronicles is racist. Does that bother you?
  • Japanese Kickstarter games have a bad track record of becoming failures. What have you done to ensure yours won't be?

That game itself sounds promising and I like the approach they took with the art style.

They make it sound like its a bad thing. xD

I have the feeling Murayama just want to copy Suikoden 2 and recreate his old stories into a new universe.

Exactly! That interview rubbed me the wrong way, what gives the interviewer the right to judge Murayama’s past work as racist? I never read or heard anything about Suikoden being racist before. These people have no idea how self-centered and pathetic they are, perceiving everything through their brainwashed SJW lenses.
Apparently it's Michiko Naruke of Wild Arms fame, Motoi Sakubara and others. Michiko Naruke selling doujin compositions at Comiket was honestly depressing since she needs to do more full blown work she's so talented.

Honestly this is amazing.
It’s awesome to see these two people involved in this project, their work is outstanding, but it’s also sad to learn about the lack of recognition for Michiko Naruke. I’m excited to discover what she composes for this game.

Paracelsus

He should specifically ignore people that tell him to write a new generic story and find a way to make it about not-Harmonia to sort of conclude the saga.

Exactly! That interview rubbed me the wrong way, what gives the interviewer the right to judge Murayama’s past work as racist? I never read or heard anything about Suikoden being racist before.

That was definitely the worst part of the interview, but nearly all the questions came off as unprofessional. They closed the comments not long after the interview was posted to stop it from blowing up further than it did. The interviewer's logic was that it was okay to accuse Murayama of being racist since that was only 2 out of 10 of the questions they asked.

GeorgPrime

Banned
That was definitely the worst part of the interview, but nearly all the questions came off as unprofessional. They closed the comments not long after the interview was posted to stop it from blowing up further than it did. The interviewer's logic was that it was okay to accuse Murayama of being racist since that was only 2 out of 10 of the questions they asked.

Maybe the reporter was a japanese resetera user. ;)

They closed the comments similar to other opinions getting repressed on resetera.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Never played a Suikoden before but I've heard amazing things.

Love the art style here. Tasteful anime design still exists? Wow
If you have a Vita or PS3 pick up Suikoden 2. It’s probably the best in the series next to 5.

My last KS is Unsung Story and they said I couldn’t get my money back. It’s the only game I haven’t received. I’d love to back this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom