• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suda51 Says ‘No More Heroes 3’ Will be “Bigger..Bloodier” and Like The Avengers

Bullet Club

Suda51 Says ‘No More Heroes 3’ Will be “Bigger..Bloodier” and Like The Avengers

During a recent preview session for the upcoming spin-off, Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes, Suda51 confirmed to Fandom that he was already planning No More Heroes 3. With the upcoming Switch game only a spin-off, Suda reveals that he is planning a proper third No More Heroes game – and that it will see hero Travis Touchdown face off against crazy, Thanos-esque villains.

“Nothing is set in stone yet, and of course it’ll depend on the success of Travis Strikes Again but I am working on an outline for No More Heroes 3 – a proper direct sequel for the series – and it’s going to be connected to TSA in a big way. Because, in No More Heroes 3, Travis is going to go up against crazier adversaries than he ever has before it’s going to be bloodier, more intense battles between assassins it’s going to be kind of like The Avengers – Thanos levels of crazy villains.”

While Suda states that the release of this much-anticipated threequel will depend on the success of the upcoming spin-off, No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again, he sees this Switch adventure as laying the foundations for No More Heroes 3.

“In order for Travis to stand a chance [against these powerful new foes] I wanted to give Travis the chance to enter these different game worlds [in Travis Strikes Again] and power up- to learn some new skills and gain some more strength so that ultimately I can work to make Travis a more prominent character in video game history overall. The skill chips that you saw Travis collecting in Travis Strikes Again’s game world, I want Travis to take those with him to the next game, the next numbered installment.”

We recently got a chance to play Travis Strikes Again, and while it’s definitely a departure from the two mainline games in the series, it still oozes that same sense of shlocky b-movie charm that made the originals so irresistible. Expect pixelated violence, saving on the toilet and more arrogant one liners than you can shake a charging laser sword at. Sporting a top-down camera view, this simplistic Switch spin-off sees Travis sucked into a game console, and tasks players with dicing up enemies as our hero battles his way through levels based on very different styles of video games. Interestingly though, it’s playable entirely in co-op, with Suda revealing that this game’s simplistic slicing and dicing is inspired by the hypnotic hyper-violence of Devolver Digital’s Hotline Miami.

Hotline Miami inspired Travis Strikes Again in a big way. I was really intrigued about [Hotline Miami] before it even came out and when I played it I was shocked — because it was just so different from the big AAA games we see out there. It did so many revolutionary things, one thing was the one hit kill – whether it’s from a gun or a knife -it just treated death in a very realistic manner and these days, we don’t even see that in movies – people can get shot or stabbed but manage to miraculously survive. But in this game you had to pretty much repeat levels over and over again and that’s something we don’t see very often these days.

“Eventually, I was able to meet the developers, Denaton. I thought they might be similar to me in the way I approach games and it turns out we were! We ended up getting along really well. Even to this day I think that they’re real superstars. The fact that they made this amazing game, just the two of them – I really respect them. Meeting them really inspired me and made me want to go back to a smaller, indie-scale team and to make my own rendition of the big indie revolution that’s happening right now.”

Interestingly, Hotline Miami inspired Suda to delve into a wealth of other indie games, with the concept for Travis Strikes Again originally seeing Travis slice and dice his way across a series of beloved indie gaUnfortunatelyately though, the licensing issues ultimately proved too much of a headache for Suda to navigate.

“I got the OK from developers at the start to use their IP and have levels based on indie games in Travis Strikes Again. But then I started thinking about it in more detail and how I’d need to write character dialogue for the character’s from those games while making sure that I kept everything true to [these characters’] original games. Doing that would mean I’d require double checks and triple checks from the original creators and the thing about that with the proposed schedule for Travis Strikes again made me realise that it would be impossible to do something that deep across such a wide spectrum. So I had no choice but to only focus on one indie collaboration, and of course I went with Hotline Miami!”

Suda is hesitant to spoil what happens, but he looks at us with a sly grin before teasing us about the Hotline Miami collaboration. “We were unable to make a complete level based on Hotline Miami, but there is a very limited Hotline Miami-esque situation that appears in the game. And I made sure to get it checked by Denaton and OK-d by them. That’s the deepest collaboration that exists in this game, the other [indie game] collaborations are in the form of t-shirts only.”

Source: Fandom

Closer

No More Heroes 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games on Wii. This spin-off is not something I wanted, but I still want it to do well enough to get the series another new game.

Yagami_Sama

Good to know that, they are working on 3, or at least he said that 3 is on the way, in order to make people don't compare the spin-off with the "main" series.

I am still curious to see the big announcement they will do during the live stream. Por 1 and 2 for Switch sounds good to m.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Waaaaaah, sweet, I thought they might base a NMH3 on the sales of the spin off which might not have turned out great.

I think it looks pretty fun personally but tons of others seem to have wanted the spin off to be NMH3 so yeah, great news!

Last edited:

Alexios

Oops, he does say that it will depend on the sales of Travis Strikes Again. Lol :(

I'm gonna hope they at least temper expectations, not expect it to sell like a full-fledged NMH. Kind of how sales of Sin & Punishment VC release made them make 2 even though it didn't exactly sell millions.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Welp...

I don’t see how making a mini-game collection of phone games is gonna help the brand. Seems like it would do the opposite. I sure as hell won’t buy it... it looks abysmal!

I really enjoyed the first two games. It’s style and fun use of wrestling moves and just being stupid offensive and fun. But the moment I saw footage of this trash.... ugh

I really think this will hurt the brand more than anything. I would’ve been way more interested in an actual hd remaster ofnthe second game. It was great and could easily see it getting a second chance on switch but ... mobile games... much better idea.

Last edited:
I'm hoping TSA pleasantly surprises us and turns out to be good. I'm not too worried about sales for NMH3, Suda games almost never reach their targets but they keep getting made anyway

That minigame shite collection would be the kind of stuff you'd expect on NSO and would still be disappointed with, good luck Suda.

The footage is there, just look at it lol.

Last edited:
I am so irritated this games existence hinges on the turd he's selling us first.

Oh well, a nmh 3 might lose some of its visual style on switch anyways...

Iamjash

Neo Member
I had a chance to sample this at Pax last year, it was nothing amazing.

It's a shame Suda is gating No More Heroes 3 behind a less fun game.

Killer751

Banned
I know you're limited due to working on the Switch instead of a real platform.... but come on. No one wants to see mini game collections.

How many people do you see nostalgic for Rayman Raving Rabbids or Wii Sports?

VertigoOA

Banned
I know you're limited due to working on the Switch instead of a real platform.... but come on. No one wants to see mini game collections.

How many people do you see nostalgic for Rayman Raving Rabbids or Wii Sports?

You’ll see a lot prenteding to be into that trash unfortunately.

Wii had the first two games. Being on Nintendo’s hardware means little.

It just seems like Suda just noticed the non-gamer fad of 10 years ago and just decided to make some indie pile of shit.

Last edited:

Alexios

I mean, it's neither a mobile game nor a mini game collection and being indie-like doesn't mean trash but yeah, you do you, lol. Most clueless non-gamer but self-proclaimed hardcore idiots spoke similar of the original NMH anyway since it looked like a Dreamcast game technically in the era of the PS3 and Xbox 360 but clearly it was a great game more than the sum of its often flawed and limited parts. It and the sequel also had plenty mini games. Travis Strikes Again is not NMH3 so you can't expect it to be NMH3. Hopefully it's a good thing, being top-down and arcade-like doesn't mean it's trash considering many such games are in fact pretty damn great. Unless it's badly made of course, there are plenty good and plenty bad twin stick shooters with similar views for example, but all the other words like "indie" and "mobile" used as insults are just dumb at best. NMH would never have been made by a big 1000 team Ubisoft studio anyway, it most definitely was indie-like also in its conception and execution. Punk development as Suda liked to call it. Suda saying they base NMH3 on the sales of this game doesn't mean they expect it to sell as much as a fully fledged NMH game, it neither has the budget nor the expectations of such a game, it's just an indication for the IP. Either way arcade style games are more gamer-like than you want to claim you are lol, as if he saw the non-gamer fad of the Wii and made this game now but made NMH in that actual timelime, the fuck? Lol! I mean, sure it would be great if Nintendo or someone else stepped in and funded a full fledged NMH3 like Bayonetta 2 so they had money to realize their wildest visions at will but hey, they're doing their best with what they actually have, not with imaginary benefactors funding their largest scale dreams at any time without regard for anything else.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Poor damage control. Try again. This looks like shit.

No more heroes also had no budget or a real publisher. Its not that much of a worse situation.

Mini-game trash

Last edited:

Stuart360

The only reason why i'm looking forward to this is for DSP's playthrough. His playthrough of No More Heroes Paradise on PS3 is legendary for rage and salt.

Top Bottom