• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subscription model vs Buying games

Larlight

I prefer owning games. Kind of funny, someone in the "onlyfans banning sexual content" thread made a great point that kind of relates. People subscribe to all these onlyfan accounts and buy all sorts of content from the creator. Now with this ban incoming, it sounds like people are going to lose all their content atleast that's what it sounds like. Hence, I'm willing to use subscription models but only if I know I'm never going to go back to that content. I like to replay a lot of my games so games disappearing off a service would suck.

MacReady13

Its such a no brainer and easy evolution from the likes of Blockbuster and such, that I will never understand the resistance to it.
Not everyone NEEDS to have 200 odd games there waiting to be played! Some of us like to sit on 1 game and play it through to completion.

As for the comparison to Blockbuster/video stores, I never had to subscribe to my local video store to rent movies. I rented what I wanted when I wanted for next to nothing cause generally those movies didn't come out on VHS straight away for purchase. And the amount of films (especially Horror) I found at our local video store that I couldn't purchase in retail stores was the main draw...
Not everyone sees the value in having a sub service as the be all and end all. The time will come when you will have sub services for gaming like there is for TV and you will spend more per month on that than you would actually buying the games you want. And are you REALLY going to have all these sub services with 1000's of games to play and play all those games? Even at 200 games it's excessive and not really a draw for me. I'd rather have a smaller selection of games I really want to play as opposed to a selection of mostly shit indie crap with some big name games to make it all look better than what it is.
Let's be honest- Game Pass is sold on the fact that major new release games come out on release day on Game Pass! You really subbing to Game Pass to play some small indie game or is the main draw to play exclusives/new releases straight away? For me, I'm happy to wait a few months to play the newest games at heavily discounted prices. If it's a game I'm desperate to play then I'll spend the money straight away at release but 95% of the time I can wait. Game will still be there in 6 months time!

MOTM

Banned
Not everyone NEEDS to have 200 odd games there waiting to be played! Some of us like to sit on 1 game and play it through to completion.

As for the comparison to Blockbuster/video stores, I never had to subscribe to my local video store to rent movies. I rented what I wanted when I wanted for next to nothing cause generally those movies didn't come out on VHS straight away for purchase. And the amount of films (especially Horror) I found at our local video store that I couldn't purchase in retail stores was the main draw...
Not everyone sees the value in having a sub service as the be all and end all. The time will come when you will have sub services for gaming like there is for TV and you will spend more per month on that than you would actually buying the games you want. And are you REALLY going to have all these sub services with 1000's of games to play and play all those games? Even at 200 games it's excessive and not really a draw for me. I'd rather have a smaller selection of games I really want to play as opposed to a selection of mostly shit indie crap with some big name games to make it all look better than what it is.
Let's be honest- Game Pass is sold on the fact that major new release games come out on release day on Game Pass! You really subbing to Game Pass to play some small indie game or is the main draw to play exclusives/new releases straight away? For me, I'm happy to wait a few months to play the newest games at heavily discounted prices. If it's a game I'm desperate to play then I'll spend the money straight away at release but 95% of the time I can wait. Game will still be there in 6 months time!
If you had Gamepass you would know that people spend as much time playing indie games & “old” games as they do playing new games.

But if you would rather have just a handful of games at a time then yeah maybe it’s not for you.

I used to be in the same boat as you until I experienced first hand what it’s like to have a massive library of games at your fingertips 24/7. I’m never going back to only purchasing games.

I wouldn’t have played half the games I played and enjoyed this year if it wasn’t to having a massive library in all genres that I can try without having to think twice about it.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

I love gamepass and this is where i try the games. I finished dragon quest 11 on it and ohh boy what an amazing game. I did the surge 2 run as well for achivements. So far gamepass has saved a lot of money for me. I know for sure once i finish a game i wont be replaying it. So gamepass model is perfect for me.
This is where I’m at with it.

Ive always rented 8-12 hour single player games just to play through them and then I was done, and bought multiplayer games or long ass RPGs on top of them.

Now I can do it all digitally instead of going to the store and hoping the game I wanted to rent isn’t rented out already.

Its such a no brainer and easy evolution from the likes of Blockbuster and such, that I will never understand the resistance to it.

It’s literally you get to play more games for less money than if you bought them all.

You two are answering the objections in your own praise for the service.

You're spending less money, and consuming more.

How is this a sustainable, or good thing for the industry and for creators? People who balk at it are primarily doing so from the sustainability/business angle. Yeah you can argue "let Microsoft worry about that!" but MS ain't my dad and shouldn't be the gatekeeper for what gets made. When you see the software sales splits we are now seeing on sales reports, it looks like MS is indeed training it's customers to not buy software. It's the same problem that originated in Apple's App Store. The race to the bottom that devalued software, to the point where some major Apple developers stopped making solid iOS apps (Panic, Omni). MS is spending literally billions of dollars trying to acquire customers, and the studio acquisitions, 1$ conversion fee along with "free games" is the bait. What happens after that? Do people think actually losing massive amounts of money on these studio acquisitions where they tell you to not buy the games they make is going to work out long term?

So yeah, people looking at it purely from a consumer perspective ... of course right now it looks like the gettin' is good. Can't argue with that. But to what end for Microsoft's loyal customers? It just can't continue this way forever. And it won't. So something will give, whether it's game quality, prices go up, all games in the future have IAP for in-game items, etc. It's not a dislike of the service (I've signed up for it) it's a skepticism about it's long term viability. At least that's my take on it as a software person!

I wonder how many posts I've made trying to explain this at this point. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

EruditeHobo

Why would it?

I'll give you an option. £70 for ONE game, or a monthly fee to access every game ever made and ever will be made.

You're not thinking this through... if I buy a game, 4 weeks later I can still play that game I bought. There is no new monthly cost for continued access, and since I paid for a product I wanted I can enjoy it. Unlike a sub service.

Owning will never go away anytime soon for just this reason, your model spits directly in the face of a large portion of the video game market -- players who aren't interested in games as a service, and would rather spend their money on specific products which appeal to them which they can ostensibly "own" and can use/complete in their own time. If you read through this thread you'll notice it's full of those kinds of people.

Last edited:

Excess

It just can't continue this way forever. And it won't. So something will give
Every media industry has survived digitalization, and so too will the gaming industry. There's a silver lining that often goes unnoticed: You have access to movies and music you may not have otherwise watched or listened to, and those creators now have an outlet with which to disseminate their work without the need of a publisher. Media is now ever-more accessible. Consumers are better for it.

Markets respond, so I predict a major competitor will come along, as with all capital-intensive industries. I predict it will be Sony simply on brand-recognition and IP.

MacReady13

Every media industry has survived digitalization, and so too will the gaming industry.
Digital media hasn't been around that long, yet in that time physical sales have gone down. Forgetting Covid, cinema's will never be the same with day and date releases on sub services. It's not the same and it never will be.
And lets be clear here- if Microsoft was selling as many consoles as Sony they would NEVER have gone down this path. This is through sheer desperation to try outdo the others and they are just mimicking what Netflix have done. It's not very clever or smart, it's just following what music/movies/tv did a while ago.

noise36

What if I told you the options for owning games are not mutually exclusive?

I can play games on GP.

I can buy physical games.

I can buy digital games.

I can play on PC, xbox, Playstation or switch.

Also lets not kid ourselves, buying a game digitally is basically long-term renting it anyway, you dont actually own it.

The only way to own a game for real is physical, then you can sell it once you have finished it. So the only really good part about "owning" a game is the ability to get rid of it .

Last edited:

Excess

Digital media hasn't been around that long, yet in that time physical sales have gone down. Forgetting Covid, cinema's will never be the same with day and date releases on sub services. It's not the same and it never will be.
And lets be clear here- if Microsoft was selling as many consoles as Sony they would NEVER have gone down this path. This is through sheer desperation to try outdo the others and they are just mimicking what Netflix have done. It's not very clever or smart, it's just following what music/movies/tv did a while ago.
I don't understand. You seem to be contradicting yourself. You acknowledge that physical media is on the decline. Then you attempt to label Microsoft's strategy as "sheer desperation/not clever or smart" by using Netflix as an example?

You may want to go back and think about what you just wrote, m8.

Wizz-Art

Subscription service obviously! I don't feel the 15$ a month it cost me and I use it all the time and tried and played (and liked) a lot of games I normally wouldn't if I had to pay full price for it. I also tend to still buy games, mostly with MS Reward points in the big sales they have every quarter. Overall it brought me and millions of others only positives and the FUD narrative some people love to spout about the viability.., well let me tell you this. If it''s not worth it anymore I can easily unsubscribe and go back to only buying the games I'm sure I gonna love. Newsflash; Nobody is stopping you from doing that.

MacReady13

I don't understand. You seem to be contradicting yourself. You acknowledge that physical media is on the decline. Then you attempt to label Microsoft's strategy as "sheer desperation/not clever or smart" by using Netflix as an example?

You may want to go back and think about what you just wrote, m8.
No need- the example was that media acclimatized to digital media, when it in fact hasn't at all. Physical sales have gone down for film/tv and same with music. Digital has taken over. Cinema's are now suffering. How is any of this a good thing? And yes, it is desperation. Normally we would leave it up to a game maker to start a sub service, not a company who makes consoles in the video game space. Sub service was their only chance to compete in this space. We will see what benefits they reap (if any) as subs are not guaranteed in the gaming scene... Once digital and physical sales completely drop off and sub services see massive gains, then we will know it has succeeded and then I quit gaming for good.

Ev1L AuRoN

I like to buy games at launch if it entices me enough, or I'll wait for some promo to eventually get it. I like services like Gamepass but the majority of titles there I already have, I usually sub it for a month every time Microsoft launches something that catches my attention. Because of it, I don't buy Microsoft games at full price anymore.

JCK75

The correct answer is both.. I love Netflix and I Love game pass.. but there are many movies I want to watch till the end of time as well as games that I'll play over and over again and I must own those... What game pass does give me is more time to enjoy the game before buying it so I can get it at a lower price later.

Genx3

Why would it?

I'll give you an option. £70 for ONE game, or a monthly fee to access every game ever made and ever will be made.
Why not just give the option for both the way they are doing now?

Options are your friend.
If you want to buy the old fashioned way you can. If you want to subscribe you can. Win, win.

Excess

Cinema's are now suffering. How is any of this a good thing?
Serious question: When's the last time you've physically gone to the movies, COVID aside? Or better yet, how many times did you ever say to yourself, "It's not enough to pay +$15 to see a movie I can see on television in a few months."

I quit gaming for good
No you won't. You'll be playing Sony Game Pass because you'll no longer be experiencing cognitive dissonance.

MacReady13

Serious question: When's the last time you've physically gone to the movies, COVID aside? Or better yet, how many times did you ever say to yourself, "It's not enough to pay +$15 to see a movie I can see on television in a few months."

No you won't. You'll be playing Sony Game Pass because you'll no longer be experiencing cognitive dissonance.
Saw that Marvel crap at the cinemas. Great experience, terrible film. There is NOTHING like experiencing a film at the movies. My experiences seeing T2, Jurassic Park, Titanic, Saving Private Ryan on the big screen with an audience will NEVER be replicated at home and is worth every cent spent.

In terms of me giving up gaming if it goes sub services- you bet your ass I will! I have a backlog from previous consoles that I'm happy to go through and continue playing old games I enjoy until the day I die. I'm happy to buy games I want, when I want. I don't need to pay monthly for a service I'm not interested in to play games I don't care about. I was content seeing new games through FREE demos then deciding if I wanted that game- now sub services are the new demos except I'm paying for them!
I want the games I want to own, and I am happy with that. And that goes for films as well... If it comes down to me not being able to buy physical discs anymore I will cry and probably die inside. Seeing Last Action Hero on 4K blu ray was a joy I never thought I'd get. And to hear John McTiernan talk me through his film is spectacular.

I don't get the fascination for people who are comfortable paying a monthly service fee to keep trying to convince people like me to get on board! If you enjoy it, then fine! I just don't like what the future brings for streaming services with gaming and sub services. I can see it on TV and it's getting ugly (just here in Oz we have Amazon prime, Netflix, Kayo, Foxtel, Binge, Stan, Disney, Paramount and it hasn't finished yet)! The exact same will happen in gaming and I am goneski after that!

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Don't game enough to justify purchasing a subscription even for one month. Now when I was younger that would have been a different story especially during summer vacation. If I have children someday I could see myself purchasing a subscription for them. When I'm older, retired and have more free time then we may change course.

Subscription model
Pros
1: Great catalogue for cheap.
2: Entry is 10$, 15$ ,60$ yearly
3: Day1 on some services.
4: You can sub, cancel and resub at anytime.

Cons
1:You have to constituently pay every month to keep the games.
2: Games leave the service
3: You cant keep those games. you only have 1 month to complete them.
Most of the games on these services are far below the price of the day 1 AAA game, consider this when you evaluate their value. I buy a lot of games I am less sure about when they cost 5 / 10$ (or are free on the Epic games store).

Owning games
Pros:
1: Achievement of buying the game
2: The ability's to replay those games as much as you want to.
3: You can keep them for a long time, in a physical form.
4: Discounts if you are a patient guy.

Cons
1: You have to spend 60$-70$ day1.
2: Those games are on a sub model at a cheaper price.
The problem with the second "con" (the same games are on the sub model for less) is that you assume all games you will want will be on one of these services, next thing you know you have two or three of them and you pay the price of an entire day 1 AAA game for these services. In the end you have less choice (the libraries are not that big).

Think of it on a 5 years basis, you'll see the difference in value over a longer period of time. If you ever spend too much time on the same game when you use a subscription service you'll waste your subscription. Imagine playing a game like Witcher 3 or an Assassins Creed for 60+ hours before you can finish it, or spending hundreds of hours in the Multi-Player portion of an online shooter like Halo or a sports game, all this time you are not playing the other 200+ games you are paying for.

Obviously, if you don't really play your games and you just like trying out stuff on the quick these services are perfect for you.

Arsic

Gold Member
I don't even remember the last physical game I bought. I prefer digital and service.

I can't take it to the grave with me and if something I was heavily into was going off a service I'd just buy the digital version.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That is the downside for it. You can sub and play what you want, cancel it. But you wont be able to keep it. Good service, but has a bad draw back.
I also think it's unfair that my internet provider will cut my internet connection for not paying two months, sooooo unfair! /s

BTW, I don't know what's wrong with it, if you want the game just buy it, it's not a draw back of subscription just how things are supposed to work with a subscriptions... as, all the subscription services work since... forever.

I'm mostly play and shelve forever so I'm ok with subs, will need to save those $60 for precious Nintendo old ports

ZehDon

These are not mutually exclusive options, nor should they be.

I'll keep my Gamepass subscription because it drastically lowers the burden to trying out new games. If the game is worth owning after I play it, I will then buy it. If I adore it and simply cannot live without it, I'll buy it physical. If I played it on Gamepass and decided not to buy it, the developer still got paid, and I didn't lose serious money. The idea that I should pay AUD$125.00 to try a game is asinine.

Sorcerer

The only things that bugs me is games leaving, I take to long to finish a game, so I would feel overwhelmed and sad when all those games I never got to try leave the service. If games were added and never left I would be all in. I understand that Microsoft's first party stuff never leaves, so if you are into that you have justification for the service right there.

MacReady13

These are not mutually exclusive options, nor should they be.

I'll keep my Gamepass subscription because it drastically lowers the burden to trying out new games. If the game is worth owning after I play it, I will then buy it. If I adore it and simply cannot live without it, I'll buy it physical. If I played it on Gamepass and decided not to buy it, the developer still got paid, and I didn't lose serious money. The idea that I should pay AUD$125.00 to try a game is asinine.
I remember a generation ago these things called DEMOS where you could DEMO the game to see if you liked it or not. It cost me nothing and I got a great sample of a game I was interested in…
I have not regretted 1 purchase from my PS5 and Series X collection because I purchase games I know I’ll want. Christ, how the fuck did you all play and buy games before Game Pass?

Last edited:
Physical copys are the only way to to keep the artistic and cultural heritage in our hands and away from the corporations. Just take a look at Goldeneye, its probably never gonna be re- released ever because of corpo BS.
And with more coming internet regulations its only a matter of time, roms and emulators gonna be harder and harder to get. Not to mention fan remakes. So yeah guys WE are the last line, the collectors, the refurbishurs, WE the GAMER! Hold the line and keep buying physical(too).

ZehDon

I remember a generation ago these things called DEMOS where you could DEMO the game to see if you liked it or not. It cost me nothing and I got a great sample of a game I was interested in…
I have not regretted 1 purchase from my PS5 and Series X collection because I purchase games I know I’ll want. Christ, how the fuck did you all play and buy games before Game Pass?
No idea why you're presenting your post with such antagonism. Anyway, demoes went the way of the dodo years ago, not every game had demoes, and not every demo was an accurate representation of the finished game. Hardly comparable to services like Gamepass, where it's the entire final game - if you enjoyed it you have the option of owning it forever at a discount, and if you didn't enjoy, you didn't lose anything. This helps me play a lot more games that I otherwise would have missed. Which leads neatly into your second sentence - only playing games "I know I'll want" makes discovering new games borderline impossible. What a fucking terrible outlook. Thanks to Gamepass, I've found games like Sniper Elite 4, a series I'd never played before and decided to try on a whim because "fuck it, why not?". Now, it's one of my favourite game series and I own every entry in the series. Or games like Psychonauts, a game I'd never played or really heard of, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed thanks to Gamepass. I have no idea what you point is other than "old man yells at cloud"?

I wait for the game + season pass combo to hit $30, then I buy. Otherwise, I only buy at launch when it is a game I really like a lot. I do Gamepass too for the games I want to try out.

You can have it both ways.

PrimeX

Mix them because I can't get every game I want on a subscription. For example there is Mk11 that I'm waiting a sale for and can't get it other way.
But I recently bought Farcry 5, and altho on sale... GOD I FEEL ROBBED. That game does not deserve more than 3 bucks. If I would have tried it on the Ubisoft+ I would have had at least half a month to try any other of their games in the same subscription fee.

I do like Gamepass, games like Psychonauts 2 and The Artful Escape in particular are nice games that I wasn’t totally sure on, I enjoyed and cost me very little. I see it as a option rather than a full on gaming go to for everything I play.

Its tricky , as these days demos are not a regular occurrence (remember XBLA trials you could try every Xbox Live Arcade release before a purchase) and with the bigger budget games there used to be more chances to try before you buy.

These days most people watch a YouTuber playing before a purchase, I don’t, I’d rather try it if possible or just go with own gut instincts.

I prefer to buy physical copies and keep the subscription as a option to check out anything of interest there.

Dunky

I would rather buy my games.

The danger was something like a subscription service is one day it could get extremely expensive. It's reasonably good price at the moment but will it stay like that in the future?

Jemm

The danger was something like a subscription service is one day it could get extremely expensive. It's reasonably good price at the moment but will it stay like that in the future?
Then you cancel the subscription and return to just to buying the games.

NickFire

I am still team buy because I have two major personal roadblocks towards getting involved with the subscription model. One is a lack of content that I am willing to rent every month, due to available time constraints and lack of interest in 90-98% of the offerings. The second is the (in my opinion) absolute certainty that the current prices will not last, and a day will come when price increases cause me to seriously regret not having invested the subscription funds into buying the few games I still want to play. I know we are talking about a different industry, but I just look at youtube tv as an example. If I recall correctly, one time the price jumped 25% from 40 to 50, and the next year it jumped again from 50 to 65. Netflix is a fair counter to the youtube example, but they have a much larger scale, can pump out content much faster than game devs, and the quality is not always that great due to the need to pump content out quickly.

AJUMP23

I do both.

But when purchasing software you are merely purchasing a license to use the software on a particular system. You are always technically renting software no matter if you pay a monthly fee for access or a larger upfront fee for unlimited access on the given system.

MikeM

I have GP and PSNow. They are...fine. Volume of games but not a ton of quality. If you are into that, then cool. I'm finding that I am not the demographic that enjoys it and have very particular tastes. I seem to prefer to spend more on what I want and own it (physical) than give money away in hopes that the games that come out monthly are those that I want to play.

I do both. Dead Cells was something I played via subscription, then bought it on iPhone and PC. I’ll buy Halo Infinite as I’m an avid Halo fan, but I’ll try a lot of games coming to gamepass. Now that I have the option to stream before I download, I feel like the world is at my finger tips and it’s my choice to purchase games as I see fit. I also see myself buying more games as I get to try them. I also found out I can stream my old Xbox 360 and my Xbox library games which is amazing as well as I don’t own an Xbox.

Last edited:
Both for me. I enjoy having a steady influx of stuff to try. It actually keeps me from impulse buying lots of stuff, and gives me the patience to just purchase the stuff I actually want. If I run into great stuff in the subs (which happens a lot), I can play through the whole thing and wait years and just purchase it at a deep discount.

At the end of the day I think I'm playing more stuff and spending less money, and still owning the stuff I want to own.

Humdinger

I'd rather buy the games I'm interested in. Two main reasons:

1. I am not interested in that many games. I don't play enough to make a subscription service worthwhile to me. I'll find a game I'm interested in maybe once every few months. If I were paying a subscription, I'd either feel like I was wasting money, or I'd feel pressured to play more games than I really want to, just to get my money's worth.

2. I have enough money that saving a hundred dollars a year (or whatever my savings would be with a subscription service) doesn't matter to me. I am happy to pay the extra money for the privilege of being able to get a game whenever I want it, owning it rather than renting, and being able to replay it whenever I like.

I rather buy my games..

from my experience with gaming subs..
Not saying all of us go thru this but

i felt like i had to many games at my disposal that i felt overwhelmed i felt the need to play this and that and i couldnt focus on just enjoying the game i like. its hard to explain.

i do buy a lot of games and it happened to me as well there. where i felt like i had so many game i didnt know where to start lol.

that being said i rather buy one game at a time anyway

and someone mentioned theirs always sales on PSN and im happy with those

gaming subs have a lot of filler bs games

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
I personally hate subscription services, it seems like a waste if I don’t use them during that time. Example: Having a gym membership or Photoshop.

I quit doing digital art when I was forced to pay monthly subscriptions for adobe. I rather have things as a product than a consumer.

Faithless83

Banned
I am having conflicting views on this topic.

One 1 hand, I like buying games. Its great feeling to own what you like, and play as much as you want.

On other hand, Subs model have the games day1 on 15$ a month sub. You can cancel it anytime. This makes me buying day1 games on these service, look like a stupid person who wasted his money.

Owning games
Pros:
1: Achievement of buying the game
2: The ability's to replay those games as much as you want to.
3: You can keep them for a long time, in a physical form.
4: Discounts if you are a patient guy.

Cons
1: You have to spend 60$-70$ day1.
2: Those games are on a sub model at a cheaper price.

Subscription model
Pros
1: Great catalogue for cheap.
2: Entry is 10$, 15$ ,60$ yearly
3: Day1 on some services.
4: You can sub, cancel and resub at anytime.

Cons
1:You have to constituently pay every month to keep the games.
2: Games leave the service
3: You cant keep those games. you only have 1 month to complete them.

As a pc guy, I have 3 service Subscription model that is available to me.

EA play, which is at 5$, and 15$ a month. Ea play basic allows me to play most of their games. New games have 6 month wait time. Plus has day1 games. Same thing for Gamepass, and Uplay+.

This upcoming games like Far cry 6, can be played on Uplay+ for 15$. Battlefield 2042 can be played on ea play+ for 15$. Same for halo on gamepass.

How do I Justify buying games, When these things exist on pc.

Help me with your opinion gaffers.
It's missing the "Have a backlog so big it feels like a subscription service" option due to buying too many games at a discount.

Subscription will bite us in the ass, just like the mobile market did with it's MTX being "integrated" into 60/70$ games.

Jadsey

Since 2012, I have played an average 45 games a year, so about 4 a month

New games I can't wait to play: I always buy day 1 and then sell them back. I bought Tales of Arise last week at £41.85 and this week I will sell it for £36.00 exactly.

I find if I wait until the game is say £30, I will only get £15 back or less.

Older games I can wait for: I always buy on digital sale when the game is around £15

My total spend on software is generally around £600 a year using this method. It allows me to play mostly everything

I am a moderately well off man, and I worry for people who are spending thousands each year to hoard plastic.

GamePass and subscription models are a breeding ground for mediocrity and I will have nothing to do with them.

Last edited:

SquillieDee

I am an xbox gamer and I rarely buy games anymore. I only buy huge rpg's that I spend dozens of hours in and sometimes nba 2k because I love bball. I see no reason for me to buy games anymore (unless they are not available on gamepass, or leaving the library). Im old, i grew up in the days of NES, I do still have a few NES titles, I still have some OG Xbox games and some 360 games. I really see no need for me to have physical games anymore. It cost way more money, ease of access is not as quick as digital, disc can get lost or damaged, all of my friends have gamepass, so technically we all have the same library for mp games.

I understand people that like to collect game, but I am inundated with gamepass games at the moment and its only going to get better, I love the subscription model and plan on using it indefinitely. Also, Xbox game streaming works really well for me now, I use it way more than I ever thought I would. lastly, you can get some gamepass for free using Bing and MS rewards. The subscription future is very bright imo, I game way more than ever, and pay a lot less.

rushgore

Subscription model is certainly more economical, there's no debating that. But there is also joy in building a game collection by handpicking your favourite titles.

Top Bottom