• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subscription model vs Buying games

No, I hate the idea of someone else picking out the games for me. And me, since I’m giving them money every month, feeling obliged to play what they offer to justify that sub money.

Out of curiosity, I checked all those game available on GP and can’t remember if only 2 or 3 games picked my interest. Out of hundreds. Collection of old games I played, games I would never even try and indie shovelware, known and unknown. I would hate paying 15$ a month for that. Better to pay online sub for FFXIV if you’re into that.

SirTerry-T

I subscribe to Gamepass and if I like the games the service provides enough I will buy those games when they disappear from Gamepass.
Same as having Netflix and Amazon Prime won't stop me buying the Blu-ray's of films I want to own.
It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

Arcadialane

subs may let you sample more games you otherwise wouldn't have but it's exactly that, sampling. when you buy a game it's more likely you would want to finish it or at least get all the enjoyment you want out of it but a person who has access to many games would just want to switch between them to find that "perfect" game that doesn't even exist.

a kid in a candy store can only get stomach ache and feel awful for a few days but if you bought them a few of their favorites they'll be happy.

Terrible comparison, but even if we are going to go with it, how does the kid know what his 'favourite sweet to choose' is without having tried a bunch over time to be able to compare?

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
There is no "vs" for me. I will always prefer owning my stuff. I love to pick what i want and play it whenever i want to and as many times as i want. I don't need to buy every game out there on day one. Of course the stuff i REALLY want i'll buy them on day one but for the rest i will wait for price drops. I think this hobby is way much more cheaper to collect and buy gae than 25-30 years ago. All you need is to know what you like (for day-1 purchases) and be patient for the rest.

I want my shelves be to full of games that i really want to play and mean something to me. I don't need to be paying monthly rental fees just to be able to rush through every junk game on "day 1".

Between gaming,books,comics and other activities my time is limited as an adult so i can only invest my time on stuff that i really want to own.

Quality over quantity.

Last edited:

junguler

Banned
Terrible comparison, but even if we are going to go with it, how does the kid know what his 'favourite sweet to choose' is without having tried a bunch over time to be able to compare?
because it's not the first time they are eating candy, exactly like it's not our first time playing a game and most of us know exactly what we like and don't like in games.

twilo99

And The Ascent is the first game I've played on Game Pass since The Outer Worlds. Just shows these subs are not everything to everyone.

That's very true, it just depends on how you consume entertainment and what you find entertaining. For me personally, there is more entertainment on gamepass than I'll ever need.

There is also the cloud which is included in my subscription.. it changes the whole paradigm since the games don't require a download or installation of any sort, you just click play and you are there. That's how I started playing the ascent, and still do when I'm away from my main PC and have just my laptop. I even showed it to a friend of mine who has an older macbook the other day. Its good stuff.

Hezekiah

Banned
It sucks that you can only either subscribe to game pass or buy games to own, with no way to do both.

Wait…….

I subscribe to game pass. If a game I want isn’t on it, I buy it. If a game I want is on it but then leaves, I buy it. Best of both worlds, definitely better than not having a subscription.

It’s not like you sign a contract that forbid you to buy games that aren’t on the service when you start subscribing.

You can buy games as usual. Or you can wait until they come to the subscription service. The choice is yours. No limitations besides what you bring there yourself.
I think it's more that some people don't want to lay money out on a subscription, and buy games aswell. Could be less coss effective than just buying games if you're not someone who plows through a lot of games.

I haven't paid a penny for gamepass thanks to MS rewards since it launched and have completed so many games, so subscription all the way.

nkarafo

I want to own my shit. Be able to play whenever i want. Be able to back it up.

I like revisiting older games and i'm into retro stuff. Most of my favorite games are more than 2 decades old.

I wouldn't trust any publisher keeping my library of games. Or movies. Or music.

Seems like many people stopped caring about quality of games they play and just take all the junk food MS offers them into their mouths.

I, personally, rarely play games below 85 on MC and pretty much never below 80. Don’t even bother downloading them if they come up on PS+.

Even if I wanted to play them, I wouldn’t have time.

sinisterpanda

Neo Member
Why would I limit myself to a catalog consists of 300 games? And half of them are mediocre or trash. The Netflix model can't be applied to video games. Making games is much more harder and expensive then making Too Hot to Handle. What kind of subscription model can make me play God of War Ragnarok or GTA VI on day one?

Quezacolt

I prefer to buy my games. I had ps+ afew times, just to play demon's souls remake online or bloodborne, and although i recevied some of the "free" games from plus, i never played them, not because i wasnt interested in them, but because i didnt want to rush so i could finish them before my sub ran out, besides, the feeling that the game inst really mine never left my thought.

Hezekiah

Banned
Games catalogue subscription type services are totally irrelevant to me, my issue is time not cost. If I'd arrived fresh from Mars and had never played video games before and had a few months to kill playing old games I'd consider one temporarily, but having another of these bloody subscription services leeching off my money pile just pisses me off so I'm very stingy about committing to any recurring payment services these days.

I'm the same with the SVOD services, I don't want endless choice I want quality. Tried Netflix last year when I had fuck all to do during lockdown and cancelled it after three months once I'd watched breaking bad and the bourdain stuff, maybe I'm not typical but I'm astonished at the garbage which keeps people subbing these days.
Yeah this. If we had another lockdown and I and nothing to do but game, I would consider subscribing to PC GamePass.

But time is a huge bottleneck when you work full-time, go to the gym several times a week, and have an active social life.

I know which games I want to play, that there are more than enough of them to fill my available gaming time, and that most aren't available on subscription services - so I'm not paying for both, and I'm not interested in filler.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I almost always buy my games physical unless that's not an option or there's a really good deal. I was subbed to Gamepass for about a year (only on PC), but I probably won't sub again for awhile.

Zeroing

Banned
Everyone as the right to choose was is best for them. My problem is when a group gets too vocal trying to argue and push the narrative that the future is sub services… implying that my choice is the wrong one and vice versa.

both models can exist, options are better than no options since both options as stated by the OP do have cos.. so for me both options compliments eachother.

What I've found is I really only play a handful of games so subbing doesn't really work for me. I basically just use it if there is something I want to try out. I rarely buy games day 1 or full price anyway. Even consoles have sales almost constantly now. I will say ps+ has been pretty good on PS5.

Plantoid

I will never buy a game that's available in a subscription, it's illogical, I don't buy movies, I rent em, who watches old stuff?
Most I've replayed a game was dark souls 3, which as like 3 times up to ng++ then got bored

So why do I need to "own" shit? I just wanna consume content, new content

Stalker 2 is launching on gamepass, I would've bought it if it wasn't, but why would I justify this when I can play it to completion in a month and maybe replay it for "free"?

Topher

Gold Member
I will never buy a game that's available in a subscription, it's illogical, I don't buy movies, I rent em, who watches old stuff?
Most I've replayed a game was dark souls 3, which as like 3 times up to ng++ then got bored

So why do I need to "own" shit? I just wanna consume content, new content

Stalker 2 is launching on gamepass, I would've bought it if it wasn't, but why would I justify this when I can play it to completion in a month and maybe replay it for "free"?

That is all fine but fact is for a lot of games you have to buy them. If Game Pass gives you everything you need then yep, you are good to go.

Not me though. I'm not limiting myself to a selection of games that someone chooses for me. That's me. Choices are awesome.

Last edited:

Plantoid

That is all fine but fact is for a lot of games you have to buy them. If Game Pass gives you everything you need then yep, you are good to go.

Not me though. I'm not limiting myself to a selection of games that someone chooses for me. That's me. Choices are awesome.
I agree, that's why I buy stuff I want that isn't on the service

I said that I would've never buy something that is in the service, not that I would never buy anything and just sub.

Subscription services are fine, but I prefer to own my games. Most of the games on subscription services can be found at deep to adequate discounts if I really want to play some of them. Another good thing about owning your games is you can play what you want whenever you want at your leisure without worrying about it getting removed from the service.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

TL;DR - Would use PC GP for certain games but Windows Store bad, walled-garden me no-likey and no have xbox for XGP.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree, that's why I buy stuff I want that isn't on the service

I said that I would've never buy something that is in the service, not that I would never buy anything and just sub.

That's cool. I misread your aversion to owning "shit". Yeah, if it is in the service, I probably wouldn't buy it either. That's what the service is for.

DrAspirino

Banned
I prefer to own my games.
Every single one of them?

Because I, for one, only buy games that I like the most. Otherwise, just try them on Gamepass and never pick them again if I don't like them. Subscriptions do not exclude purchasing.

Heck, I do exactly the same with music: If I really like something, I just purchase the 24-bit FLAC version to listen to it in all its glory, even if I pay for Spotify every month.

M.W.

Every single one of them?

Because I, for one, only buy games that I like the most. Otherwise, just try them on Gamepass and never pick them again if I don't like them. Subscriptions do not exclude purchasing.

Heck, I do exactly the same with music: If I really like something, I just purchase the 24-bit FLAC version to listen to it in all its glory, even if I pay for Spotify every month.

I used to buy them all. I game share now on Xbox and Playstation so me and my bud trade off buying games.

Subscription model for me.

Access to more games for low entry fee compared to buying individual games which will end up costing me lots more money.

As you get older you tend to be considerate of what you spend your hard earned money on. I'd like to enjoy my gaming hobby without breaking the bank so subscription models are a god send. Also allows me to continue my hobby of astrophotography which can be expensive. Buying full priced games and astrophotography gear is not an option.

Last edited:

Genx3

That's the trap that they want you to fall for, getting gamers comfortable with not owning their games
This is borderline trolling since every game on the service is available for purchase.

Subscription services do not stop you from having the option to buy games.

The Subs are just a cheaper option for people that want to play a lot of titles.
They open up a huge catalog of titles most people would otherwise never have access to.

Genx3

That’s what demos used to be for, and they were free. I ain‘t paying for a demo service.

Is this a joke post?

Every game on GP or any other sub can be completed in their entirety.

It is not a demo. Hell most demos didn't even represent the quality of the final product because they would demo before being finished.

What a terrible analogy.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
This is borderline trolling since every game on the service is available for purchase.

Subscription services do not stop you from having the option to buy games.

The Subs are just a cheaper option for people that want to play a lot of titles.
They open up a huge catalog of titles most people would otherwise never have access to.
It's not trolling, it's what I believe. Remember DRM was attempted. This is probably a way for them to get to their ultimate goal

Last edited:

Markio128

Is this a joke post?

Every game on GP or any other sub can be completed in their entirety.

It is not a demo. Hell most demos didn't even represent the quality of the final product because they would demo before being finished.

What a terrible analogy.
Wow. How to take a post completely out of its context 😂

pasterpl

Subscription services: You will own nothing and you will be happy
People forget that the same applies to digital purchases. I think that op should also distinguish between physical vs digital ownership. But to be fair nowadays the physical disc is usually used only to validate digital downloads. My point is that with current models gamers own nothing.

I also prefer playing games, owning them is a side effect of it sometimes. Gamepass is a great service I think and i hope it’s only improved and expanded on.

It’s very rare I go back to a game I own and replay it. At least these days.. did it more when I was younger and games where harder to come by in terms of money and such.

Last edited:

Genx3

It's not trolling, it's what I believe. Remember DRM was attempted. This is probably a way for them to get to their ultimate goal

So a conspiracy theory.
Way to wear a tinfoil hat.
Gamers spoke loud and clear that they would not allow their ownership rights to be taken away. The extreme DRM never actually debuted though MS had plans to implement it.

MS learned that lesson the hard way. They now know better than even trying to implement excessive DRM.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

I'm confident that in the future it'll be the only way to access games, which will be a lot better for the consumer as it'll mean we won't need to drop £70 on a single game. The idea of dropping that much on one game is obscene.

It'll take time to get to this point. First, all AAA titles from all publishers will need to drop their games on a subscription service. Microsoft have deep pockets, so I'm hoping they pay all publishers to have their games on GP from day one.

Another advantage that will kill the option of buying games will be for the games to never leave the service.

Once all games are on a subscription service, plus with the guarantee they'll never leave the service, nobody will want to buy a single game any longer.

Of course, the cost of this will be expensive, but as I've said many times before, I'd be willing to pay £70 per month for such a service.

Markio128

I'm confident that in the future it'll be the only way to access games, which will be a lot better for the consumer as it'll mean we won't need to drop £70 on a single game. The idea of dropping that much on one game is obscene.

It'll take time to get to this point. First, all AAA titles from all publishers will need to drop their games on a subscription service. Microsoft have deep pockets, so I'm hoping they pay all publishers to have their games on GP from day one.

Another advantage that will kill the option of buying games will be for the games to never leave the service.

Once all games are on a subscription service, plus with the guarantee they'll never leave the service, nobody will want to buy a single game any longer.

Of course, the cost of this will be expensive, but as I've said many times before, I'd be willing to pay £70 per month for such a service.
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

Genx3

Hell no!
That would be terrible.

If I buy a subscription serrvice I practically own everything on it. Nobody can tell me I don't own everything inside Disney Plus because I have unlimited access to it whenever I want. What constitutes "ownership" has changed drastically in the internet, social media, netflix, disney plus and HBO Max era.

It was once suggested that if you didn't own a physical disc that wasn't ownership either, and now many consider digital ownership, tied to online accounts with digital verifications, as real ownership. Gaming based subscriptions are just yet another extension of new ownership. I own everything on Xbox Game Pass. It's why I'll be playing Psychonauts 2 confidently without having to make a purchase (but I will just to further show my appreciation for the team)

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
Been on GamePass since it started.

Probably play more games now than before. I'll try different things out and see if I like them. But if I see a good sale or want something not in GamePass, i'll still purchase.

Spending $60 on a game equates to 5-6 months of ~200 different games.

Kenpachii

I play games multiple times and i play them over long periods of downtime.

Which means buying is always better here.

Vangellis

Subscription saves me in the long run. I've tried quite a few games on gamepass now that I was thinking of buying. Then I play them and found them to be boring, or Im just not feeling them. Probably saved me $200 in wasted purchases. Additionally, it's made me try games I had a mild interest in. Ones that I would have never actually bought, but now ended up really enjoying.

Top Bottom