• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica: Below Zero

GuinGuin

Banned
The piss poor performance of this game on next gen proves devs need to stop using Unity YESTERDAY.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Anyone have experience with the Steam version and / or the Xbox Gamepass for PC version and can tell me if it does occasional stuttering or is buttery smooth all the time?

I bought the game for my son to play on the XSX. It's a Play Anywhere title so I also installed it on my PC. But even at otherwise 120+ fps in the PC version I experience a mcrostutter every ~5 seconds. It drives me crazy, can't play like that.. Especially since I don't experience this in other similar games.. So I have a couple of theories:

- It's a FPS-type game in Unity, maybe the devs aren't capable of making it run smooth without some stutter.
- There's something wrong with the Xbox Gamepass for PC version

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Anyone have experience with the Steam version and / or the Xbox Gamepass for PC version and can tell me if it does occasional stuttering or is buttery smooth all the time?

I bought the game for my son to play on the XSX. It's a Play Anywhere title so I also installed it on my PC. But even at otherwise 120+ fps in the PC version I experience a mcrostutter every ~5 seconds. It drives me crazy, can't play like that.. Especially since I don't experience this in other similar games.. So I have a couple of theories:

- It's a FPS-type game in Unity, maybe the devs aren't capable of making it run smooth without some stutter.
- There's something wrong with the Xbox Gamepass for PC version

Steam version here. Here's my specs:
i9-9900k @ 3.60ghz
32 gig ram
Windows 10, 64 bit operating system
Dell Gsync 1440p monitor @ 165hz
Nvidia Geforce 2080 Founder's Edition
Latest nvidia drivers

Both Subnautica and the sequel "Below Zero" run buttery smooth on my system. No hickups/microstutters. I generally despise Unity because developers just don't know
how to use it without performance issues reaching the customer. Developer Unknown Worlds though-their expertise at using Unity IMO is second to none. It's been an absolute pleasure playing both
games on my rig. Unity is indeed capable of providing beautiful visuals *AND* performance-it simply comes down to the developer.

The notorious micro stutter is apparently a "key" feature(sarcasm) of the Unity Engine unfortunately.

To try to help with your issue: experiment with both vsync on and vsync off. Update drivers and throw some salt over your shoulders. Good luck.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Steam version here. Here's my specs:
i9-9900k @ 3.60ghz
32 gig ram
Windows 10, 64 bit operating system
Dell Gsync 1440p monitor @ 165hz
Nvidia Geforce 2080 Founder's Edition
Latest nvidia drivers

Both Subnautica and the sequel "Below Zero" run buttery smooth on my system. No hickups/microstutters. I generally despise Unity because developers just don't know
how to use it without performance issues reaching the customer. Developer Unknown Worlds though-their expertise at using Unity IMO is second to none. It's been an absolute pleasure playing both
games on my rig. Unity is indeed capable of providing beautiful visuals *AND* performance-it simply comes down to the developer.

The notorious micro stutter is apparently a "key" feature(sarcasm) of the Unity Engine unfortunately.

To try to help with your issue: experiment with both vsync on and vsync off. Update drivers and throw some salt over your shoulders. Good luck.

It's running completely buttery smooth now. The issue was solved somewhere in between running Display Driver Uninstaller and NVCleaninstall. Might be the newer drivers, might be the deep cleanup (I no longer have any extra Nvidia background processes running in task manager, it's pretty amazing..). Who knows.. But no microstutters now :)

This is a great game btw, a lot better than I feared. I can almost forgive the obviously woke developer for shoehorning a few things. The thick Indian accent from the PDA is sometimes throwing me off though, it's like I'm in a perpetual double take, so weird and so not good for immersion..

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Been playing this on my series s and it is very very fun. You get such a sense of accomplishment (well, I do) when you figure out some stuff. I found an alien statue last night by diving through a bunch of volcanos. It was pretty great!

Finally got my prawn suit scans done last night so it's clear to me I now need to finally build a base! Need to find a moon pool! Gotta find some Ruby too...somewhere.

I've built a sea truck with the storage and fabrication extensions which is fun too. I have no idea how to separate the sea truck though...

I'm trying to do it with out any guides which is fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom