• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sTrEeTs Of RaGe 4 ~ rAgE iN tHe CaGe

S rank guide;

-Dont get hit (them apples and turkey makes money when full health)
-Do 100+ hit Combos (if u get hit, bye bye hit counter and money)
-Dont use star moves (500 points for each star not used)
-Dont lose a life (1000 points per life not lost)

Last edited:
S rank guide;

-Dont get hit (them apples and turkey makes money when full health)
-Do 100 or more hit Combos (if u get hit, bye bye hit counter and money)
-Dont use star moves (500 points for each star not used)
-Dont lose a life (1000 points per life)
Tactics for keeping a combo going during gaps between enemies:

1. Items like money and food stop the combo counter from dropping and reset the timer, buying you a few seconds.
  2. You can hit destructible items when no enemies are around to extend the combo window.
  3. Stagger jabs can keep an enemy on their feet longer until more enemies are within range.

I'm not sure about the star moves one since they can really crank up a combo counter if used correctly. Use it if you have to, especially if you might lose a life.

Tactics for keeping a combo going during gaps between enemies:

1. Items like money and food stop the combo counter from dropping and reset the timer, buying you a few seconds.
  2. You can hit destructible items when no enemies are around to extend the combo window.
  3. Stagger jabs can keep an enemy on their feet longer until more enemies are within range.

I'm not sure about the star moves one since they can really crank up a combo counter if used correctly. Use it if you have to, especially if you might lose a life.

Good complement!

Stars, in some stages u get 4 or more...so its a lot of money... Worth it a lot more than a few hits.

iconmaster

Banned
Maybe it’s been discussed, but does anyone else want Estel Aguirre as a playable character? She’s awesome. And we already know what her Star move would be.

rsm9kb1fs4w41.jpg

Maybe it’s been discussed, but does anyone else want Estel Aguirre as a playable character? She’s awesome. And we already know what her Star move would be.

rsm9kb1fs4w41.jpg
Estel, Max and Shiva seem like clear DLC characters to me. All the expensive animation work is done. Hope that turns out to be the case, along with some new stages.

She's cool. I wish she had more grappling though with how muscular she is. Could be the first female "big guy" character.

Stars, in some stages u get 4 or more...so its a lot of money... Worth it a lot more than a few hits.

Don't spend them frivolously, but if you spend a star to keep a high combo going, it's the right move. You get a lot more points from an out of this world combo. Using it at the right time can also increase your speed which factors into srank as well.

For example, you have a good combo going and a bunch of cops show up with tazers an riot shields. Hitting them all at once keeps the combo alive by disarming them so you don't have to slowly chip at those shields, which ends the combo and increases your time.

I just played this on gamepass today. It's awesome. Soundtrack is great and the game is smooth and responsive. Feels like a modern day genesis game if that makes sense. I would like to point out the trailor at the top of this game is how xbox needs to do its tailors. Game play and features then showing features in game play.

Don't spend them frivolously, but if you spend a star to keep a high combo going, it's the right move. You get a lot more points from an out of this world combo. Using it at the right time can also increase your speed which factors into srank as well.

For example, you have a good combo going and a bunch of cops show up with tazers an riot shields. Hitting them all at once keeps the combo alive by disarming them so you don't have to slowly chip at those shields, which ends the combo and increases your time.

Dependes on the difficult.
I get "out of this world" on mania because has more chars on screen, and i still keep my stars for points.

Dependes on the difficult.
I get "out of this world" on mania because has more chars on screen, and i still keep my stars for points.

In my case, the more characters on screen, the more likely I am to need stars as I can't keep up with everything. And I still get the s-rank since I used the star to keep combo alive/prevent damage/kill enemies faster. I'm not saying I use them all either, just that in certain situations, it's better to use them then it is to hold onto them for 500 points.

I just got the trophy for s-ranking every stage on hard, I haven't tried mania yet.

SleepDoctor

Banned
In my case, the more characters on screen, the more likely I am to need stars as I can't keep up with everything. And I still get the s-rank since I used the star to keep combo alive/prevent damage/kill enemies faster. I'm not saying I use them all either, just that in certain situations, it's better to use them then it is to hold onto them for 500 points.

I just got the trophy for s-ranking every stage on hard, I haven't tried mania yet.

I did level 1 on mania and got a B i think, its rough lol

Mobilemofo

My wife and I beat the shit out of each other when a stage is going poorly. Helps to blow off some steam so we can get back to beating the shit out of those thugs and working on higher combos. :)
We have always said that if you can't give each other love taps (small kidney punch, dead leg/arm etc) then where's the fun? 😅 Add me if interested. #brianofthepfj jumpin on soon. Hoping to find a good coop bro

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Man when the music drops right at this moment:

streets-of-rage-4-sor4-chilly-guide-2052020_orig.jpg

2a2d78981c20e07517b647138ceb0c3d.gif

The music is absolutely fantastic tbh - honestly it gets me so into the zone, puts my brain in a lovely place. I feel such a tit for dismissing it for so long, but glad I walked back on that, honestly this thing is fucking fantastic. It's engineered wonderfully. The way everything feels like it has weight, the music, the choice to have throws bounce back off the screen edge to cause maximum chaos, the variation in the bosses, the sheer atmosphere dripping from every pore, it's clearly been done with so much love for the originals.

Pizdetz

Banned
Game is very good. But very short, and I'm not entirely sure how many times I'll replay it.
You can get it on gamepass for $1 if you're unsure about a full $25 purchase. I know many people will play it many time, but others might go through it a couple of times and call it a day.
Personally I like the new enemy types, the bosses are pretty decent, and the music is nearly on par with 2. My only criticisms would be is that it's purely made for nostalgia purposes, and is a missed opportunity to modernize the game (eg. light RPG elements, branching paths, etc). I also recently played Mother Russia Bleeds, so if you want more of the same check that out too. I would say MRB has a similar fun factor to SoR4, and MRB is far more creative from what I've noticed in terms of how they approach stages and scenarios.

Mobilemofo

Game is very good. But very short, and I'm not entirely sure how many times I'll replay it.
You can get it on gamepass for $1 if you're unsure about a full $25 purchase. I know many people will play it many time, but others might go through it a couple of times and call it a day.
Personally I like the new enemy types, the bosses are pretty decent, and the music is nearly on par with 2. My only criticisms would be is that it's purely made for nostalgia purposes, and is a missed opportunity to modernize the game (eg. light RPG elements, branching paths, etc). I also recently played Mother Russia Bleeds, so if you want more of the same check that out too. I would say MRB has a similar fun factor to SoR4, and MRB is far more creative from what I've noticed in terms of how they approach stages and scenarios.
Thanks for the recommendation. For me, sor4 hits the sweet spot. Makes me want an golden axe/double dragon remake or update. Already put 50 odd hours into this game. I think some people look at this game as a button masher and it just isn't. One cannot simply button mash their way throught it..

TaroYamada

TBH I wouldn't be interested in RPG mechanics but branching paths could be a cool addition. The game to me feels pretty modern, with a lot of polish but it's executing on an old idea. My main critique is no run/roll for the new roster.

Kazza

While I'm not against RPG elements being added to some beat'em ups, I'm glad they didn't take that approach with SoR4. I would have hated to have to unlock Axel's grand upper, or having to upgrade Blaze's jumping kick. This game just gives you all the moves and strengths at the beginning, and lets you go at it. Your character doesn't level up, your playing skills do. The test of any great traditional beat'em up is replayability, and judging by the number of people loving playing through again and again, it looks like they have succeeded.

Mother Russia Bleeds is a good game though.

Pizdetz

Banned
While I'm not against RPG elements being added to some beat'em ups, I'm glad they didn't take that approach with SoR4. I would have hated to have to unlock Axel's grand upper, or having to upgrade Blaze's jumping kick. This game just gives you all the moves and strengths at the beginning, and lets you go at it. Your character doesn't level up, your playing skills do. The test of any great traditional beat'em up is replayability, and judging by the number of people loving playing through again and again, it looks like they have succeeded.

Mother Russia Bleeds is a good game though.

As an example of what I mean by modernization of the formula, there is a game that is described as being a combination of Streets of Rage and Ikaruga, it's called The Red Star. It was released for PS2 at the end of its lifetime around 2006 or something. It flew under everyone's radar but in my opinion it's a masterpiece and anyone reading this post owes it to themselves to grab epsx2 and emulate it (in widescreen no less). Basically:
- 2 characters and 1 unlockable that play very differently
- ability to use both guns and melee attacks, the game switches between guns and melee encounters seamlessly, sometimes having both
- the melee sections are standard beat em up, a standard combo attack, a lock-on modifier that changes your moves, a shield, and a chragable super
- the gun portions is basically very well done bullet hell, which starts off easy but then ramps up to something quite difficult
- characters can buy upgrades between stages, such as gun upgrades (improved damage, cooldown, etc), new guns, and improve melee damage, a few others
- the game is actually long (5-6 hours) with lots of replayability (you get ranked at each stage, the different characters are well worth new run throughs, especially on higher difficulty)

Yeah, 15 years later this game still blows my mind how amazing and underrated it is. Here is a review, and I hope some of you will check it out:

Kazza

As an example of what I mean by modernization of the formula, there is a game that is described as being a combination of Streets of Rage and Ikaruga, it's called The Red Star. It was released for PS2 at the end of its lifetime around 2006 or something. It flew under everyone's radar but in my opinion it's a masterpiece and anyone reading this post owes it to themselves to grab epsx2 and emulate it (in widescreen no less). Basically:
- 2 characters and 1 unlockable that play very differently
- ability to use both guns and melee attacks, the game switches between guns and melee encounters seamlessly, sometimes having both
- the melee sections are standard beat em up, a standard combo attack, a lock-on modifier that changes your moves, a shield, and a chragable super
- the gun portions is basically very well done bullet hell, which starts off easy but then ramps up to something quite difficult
- characters can buy upgrades between stages, such as gun upgrades (improved damage, cooldown, etc), new guns, and improve melee damage, a few others
- the game is actually long (5-6 hours) with lots of replayability (you get ranked at each stage, the different characters are well worth new run throughs, especially on higher difficulty)

Yeah, 15 years later this game still blows my mind how amazing and underrated it is. Here is a review, and I hope some of you will check it out:

Thanks for the recommendation, that does indeed look like a good game (dare I even say a hidden gem?):

images

It's only around £6 for a complete copy in the UK, although that video did mention a frustrating lack of checkpoints (having to restart the whole level after losing at the boss), so maybe emulation would be a better option.

However, it does look like a completely different genre from SoR (albeit with a few beat'em up aspects thrown into the mix). People would have absolutely lost their collective shit if SoR4 strayed that much from the old formula.

I don't think they leant too heavily on nostalgia. They introduced quite a few new things (which made some old SoR fans a little nervous pre-release):
- new graphic style (no nostalgia-inducing pixel art)
- new juggle mechanic
- new special move mechanic (recover lost life through combos)
- grading after each level
- modern music style from a variety of artists
- 2 new characters

A real nostalgia-led SoR4 would have looked like this:
- pixel art graphics
- Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima only soundtrack in the same 90s musical style as the original trilogy
- Max, Skate and Zan in place of the new characters
- mechanics exactly the same as SoR2/3 (no juggling or combos)

All in all, I think this turned out as well as anyone could have possibly hoped.

Pizdetz

Banned
Thanks for the recommendation, that does indeed look like a good game (dare I even say a hidden gem?):

images

It's only around £6 for a complete copy in the UK, although that video did mention a frustrating lack of checkpoints (having to restart the whole level after losing at the boss), so maybe emulation would be a better option.

However, it does look like a completely different genre from SoR (albeit with a few beat'em up aspects thrown into the mix). People would have absolutely lost their collective shit if SoR4 strayed that much from the old formula.

I don't think they leant too heavily on nostalgia. They introduced quite a few new things (which made some old SoR fans a little nervous pre-release):
- new graphic style (no nostalgia-inducing pixel art)
- new juggle mechanic
- new special move mechanic (recover lost life through combos)
- grading after each level
- modern music style from a variety of artists
- 2 new characters

A real nostalgia-led SoR4 would have looked like this:
- pixel art graphics
- Yuzo Koshiro and Motohiro Kawashima only soundtrack in the same 90s musical style as the original trilogy
- Max, Skate and Zan in place of the new characters
- mechanics exactly the same as SoR2/3 (no juggling or combos)

All in all, I think this turned out as well as anyone could have possibly hoped.

Yeah overall SoR4 is quite good. I'm hoping I get motivated to play it through a few more times.
This whole ordeal led me to check out the old PS2 ninja turtles games, also very fun beat-em-ups. I really hope the success of SoR4 encourages more indie / small devs to pick up old IPs and do some remakes. Need a new ninja turtles games soon :) (that battletoads looks atrocious though).

Kazza

battletoads looks atrocious though

I'm actually quite optimistic about that game. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I think they will take the negative fan reaction and rethink major aspects of the game before release. Microsoft have done very well with their hardware recently, but that will all be for nothing without good games. Hopefully they will give the studio the time and money to rework it. After all, it did look pretty bad the last time they showed it.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Nope, not just you, they are total bastards. My personal nemesis though is the policeman with the tazer who can grab you from half a screen away. Those bastards need to be nerfed next!
Not even Neo, Barry Allen and Ultra Instinct Goku can dodge that

Kazza

I hope they don't patch the game too much so that stuff like this isn't possible. Sure, it looks like cheesing, but it actually takes a lot of skill. Blaze was at zero health for most of this and one or two hits would have done for her. I almost feel sorry for some of the bosses. Poor Estelle didn't even get the chance to call for back up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PhoenixTank

I hope they don't patch the game too much so that stuff like this isn't possible. Sure, it looks like cheesing, but it actually takes a lot of skill. Blaze was at zero health for most of this and one or two hits would have done for her. I almost feel sorry for some of the bosses. Poor Estelle didn't even get the chance to call for back up :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That is so very cathartic to watch.

Kazza

Gamstat update, GamePass + PS4 alone are at 800k. Steam nearing 200k by now I'd say. No Switch figures but I think it's safe to assume it's performing at approximately PS4 levels or better, no?

FOdTpaT.png

It's hard to know how to count Gamepass figures, but it's safe to say we are in the million ballpark right now. I think this kind of title will sell half as much again once it goes on sale later down the line. It all bodes well for more Lizardcube games based on Sega IPs. Hopefully Capcom are paying attention too.

That is so very cathartic to watch.

It absolutely is. For me, watching the Commissioner and his goons getting it is extremely satisfying, although Barbon taking a beating as his lackeys look on is fun to.

Top Bottom