• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

sTrEeTs Of RaGe 4 ~ rAgE iN tHe CaGe

RealGassy

Banned
One of the most fun parts of the game is getting those big 100+ hit combos, yet the game goes out of it's way to make them frustrating to get.

First of all, you are really slow, many enemies being as fast as you if not faster - so unless you bunch the baddies and arrange them in a particular way, it's hard to keep the combos going since you often can't reach enemies in time, or sometimes they just start avoiding you just as the combo is about to time out.
You often basically have to know beforehand where the enemies are going to spawn, so you are always nearby to keep the combo going.

Occasionally enemies jump out of nowhere without prior warning or knowledge - so you are going to get hit unless you have memorized it.
Similarly later in the game some of the regular enemies gain invulnerability out of nowhere - yet they look exactly the same as before, so there's no way to tell..

Sometimes regular dudes can break your combo - from the front with a basic jab(not the back) -while you are doing active frontal attacks right in their direction.
I don't really understand how and why it happens but it does, and it's really frustrating.

I had an overall good time with this game, that being said there's quite a lot of frustrating aspects in the game.
Frankly most of the difficulty in the game comes from cheap and frustrating things like invulnerability and armor frames, and random weird bullshit.

Last edited:

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
One of the most fun parts of the game is getting those big 100+ hit combos, yet the game goes out of it's way to make them frustrating to get.

First of all, you are really slow, many enemies being as fast as you if not faster - so unless you bunch the baddies and arrange them in a particular way, it's hard to keep the combos going since you often can't reach enemies in time, or sometimes they just start avoiding you just as the combo is about to time out.
You often basically have to know beforehand where the enemies are going to spawn, so you are always nearby to keep the combo going.

Occasionally enemies jump out of nowhere without prior warning or knowledge - so you are going to get hit unless you have memorized it.
Similarly later in the game some of the regular enemies gain invulnerability out of nowhere - yet they look exactly the same as before, so there's no way to tell..

Sometimes regular dudes can break your combo - from the front with a basic jab(not the back) -while you are doing active frontal attacks right in their direction.
I don't really understand how and why it happens but it does, and it's really frustrating.

I had an overall good time with this game, that being said there's quite a lot of frustrating aspects in the game.
Frankly most of the difficulty in the game comes from cheap and frustrating things like invulnerability and armor frames, and random weird bullshit.

Concur.

I love the game. If there's ever a fixes list, I'd want:

1 - Zoom out in multiplayer (art expense too of course)
2 - Screen edge alerts for enemies coming in off screen.
3 - Enemies not striking you if you're in that weird zone of being under, over them but your collider is just right to be cheap-jabbed and you strikes won't connect.
4 - Some flashing color or otherwise to indicate armor invincibility.
5 - A parry/counter move that will only absorb one hit at a time (and not be spammable), for those times where you need to respond quickly but got cheesed into a shitty situation.

Also:
Usage of SOR4 Shiva, SOR4 Max and SOR4 Roo.
Not having to restart the game to accept a co-op invite from a friend.

Rran

I wanted to give the game about a week until I decided on how its combat was, and I think I agree with you. I don't actually think the issue is getting hit--it's a beat-em-up and that's going to happen. I think it's more that getting hit is so punishing. Already, the game counts up your life total into your score (which is good), and even incorporates food items giving you points if you eat them when your life is full (very clever). But taking a quick jab from a Galsia means your whole combo is null and void?? It just seems overly harsh and makes the game stressful when going for high ranks.

And yeah, random mooks having invincibility upon getup once you reach the double-digit stages is pretty iffy. There's really no indication that they'll have that, and it wouldn't normally be much of an issue except that's the exact moment they decide to sucker punch you and wreck your combo.

Otherwise, I love SoR4. It's a great game that could've been an awesome game with a couple very small tweaks.

Concur.

I love the game. If there's ever a fixes list, I'd want:

1 - Zoom out in multiplayer (art expense too of course)
2 - Screen edge alerts for enemies coming in off screen.
3 - Enemies not striking you if you're in that weird zone of being under, over them but your collider is just right to be cheap-jabbed and you strikes won't connect.
4 - Some flashing color or otherwise to indicate armor invincibility.
5 - A parry/counter move that will only absorb one hit at a time (and not be spammable), for those times where you need to respond quickly but got cheesed into a shitty situation.

Also:
Usage of SOR4 Shiva, SOR4 Max and SOR4 Roo.
Not having to restart the game to accept a co-op invite from a friend.

I agree with most of these except I think 4 is already in the game (flashing white means super armor) and 5 is more or less mitigated by the invincibility frames on throws and neutral special. I'd happily buy DLC characters. Max, Shiva, and Estel already have lots of frames in the game too.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

With a friend we're planning to buy it for online coop.

I'd like to to play it with a "hitbox" arcade controller I made but I am not 100% sure I can because can't find the "control map" on the web.

So simple question : Is their some essential function linked to the Touch pad or Right stick that can't be remapped ?

Soodanim

With a friend we're planning to buy it for online coop.

I'd like to to play it with a "hitbox" arcade controller I made but I am not 100% sure I can because can't find the "control map" on the web.

So simple question : Is their some essential function linked to the Touch pad or Right stick that can't be remapped ?
I’ve been playing on retro controllers that have nothing but a d-pad, 6 face buttons, start, and 2 shoulder buttons. And the shoulder buttons go unused.

The game even has an option for retro controls, which essentially makes it 3 button like SOR2. I don’t know if the game takes Dinput, but if your controller has XInput you’re all good.

DelireMan7

I’ve been playing on retro controllers that have nothing but a d-pad, 6 face buttons, start, and 2 shoulder buttons. And the shoulder buttons go unused.

The game even has an option for retro controls, which essentially makes it 3 button like SOR2. I don’t know if the game takes Dinput, but if your controller has XInput you’re all good.

Ok thanks. That sounds good :)

FranXico

Arcade mode in Hard seems almost impossible. I've made it to stage 9 on my own and in coop. Had one of the best online games I've ever played. No voice chat, total stranger, but we both played almost flawlessly and had some cool teamwork. Still wasnt enough though!

Cant even imagine people beating hardest and mania arcade runs. I'll have to research on YouTube I guess.

GustavoLT

tumblr_pfdfl2Io0Z1txvl0no1_500.gif

Blaze - Streets of Rage 4

TaroYamada

They'd be wise to take a break imo just due to the nature of the genre. It would be better to probably take a look at Golden Axe or another Sega franchise. It's worth noting this is a major achievement however because the game is on PC Game Pass.

Across Xbox + WinStore it's at 300k (as of may 3rd, due to game pass)
PS4 is at approx 70k (as of may 3rd)
Switch is who knows what
Steam is at least at 100k

So conservatively first week engagement is 500k players.

7w8hXBU.png

Sourced from SteamSpy + GamStat

From wikipedia. that timeline...

EXelFc5WkAIHXvH

I noted this in my review for DSOgaming! It was a sight to behold and required the inclusion.

boutrosinit

I wanted to give the game about a week until I decided on how its combat was, and I think I agree with you. I don't actually think the issue is getting hit--it's a beat-em-up and that's going to happen. I think it's more that getting hit is so punishing. Already, the game counts up your life total into your score (which is good), and even incorporates food items giving you points if you eat them when your life is full (very clever). But taking a quick jab from a Galsia means your whole combo is null and void?? It just seems overly harsh and makes the game stressful when going for high ranks.

And yeah, random mooks having invincibility upon getup once you reach the double-digit stages is pretty iffy. There's really no indication that they'll have that, and it wouldn't normally be much of an issue except that's the exact moment they decide to sucker punch you and wreck your combo.

Otherwise, I love SoR4. It's a great game that could've been an awesome game with a couple very small tweaks.

I agree with most of these except I think 4 is already in the game (flashing white means super armor) and 5 is more or less mitigated by the invincibility frames on throws and neutral special. I'd happily buy DLC characters. Max, Shiva, and Estel already have lots of frames in the game too.

Good note on Flashing White. Thanks.

Mobilemofo

The online play needs a drop in drop out system. A few tweaks would make it so much more fluid. I love the coop and play it the most. Shame the match making is random. Refresh.. Nobody..refresh..nobody..refresh..dave123 arcade on hard. Oh.. I'll join that...(clicks to join). Failed to join game..refresh..nobody..change to arcade.. Nobody.. 😂 Ffs.

Dacon

Banned
I'm hooked on this game, been really enjoying it for the last few days, but I gotta say some of the enemies in this game are outright not fun to fight and in many ways kinda kill the pacing for me.

Like some of these enemies in the later half of the game, it feels like theyre constantly running from me and they have a ton of counters, invincibility frames, wake ups and counters that just make fighting them annoying. I understand this for boss fights, and I practically love all of the bosses in the game, but for normal mobs this is an outright pain in the ass. It also doesn't help that it's kind of hard to judge whether or not an enemy can actually hit you or not at certain angles, same for your own attacks, sometimes it seems like youre in the right spot to hit someone and you'll just wind up punching the air.

Then there's just how evasive some of these dudes are, which I wouldn't mind if my character wasn't so goddamn slow. I feel like I'm chasing dudes down just to get punched in the face sometimes. Also, the fucking enemies who just throw molotovs and grenades are NOT fun to fight. Also, it seems like every single hit in the game knocks you down.

All in all it's a fantastic game and I hope to see more from the folks that made this, but damn do these problems become ever more apparent on the hardest difficulty.

EDIT: Also, gimme playable Estel dammit.

Last edited:

boutrosinit

Feels like this game was on a tight budget and they did great in that environment. With the success, I hope they can re-invest in selling extra playable characters, and extra level or two, and fixes to online play. I'd buy that for $10-$15 easy.

Kazza

Feels like this game was on a tight budget and they did great in that environment. With the success, I hope they can re-invest in selling extra playable characters, and extra level or two, and fixes to online play. I'd buy that for $10-$15 easy.

I hope they do a Skate, Zan, Max story, reusing parts of some levels (it is just DLC after all, not a complete new game), but also including a couple of new ones. I'd be interested to see how they handle Skate/Sammy. If the DLC was also set 10 years after SoR3, I suppose he could still be wearing his skates (he would still only be in his twenties, so it wouldn't look too silly)

Kazza

According to and interview with Streets of Rage 4 Game Designer Jordi Asensio, his team put in a request with SEGA to include Joe Musashi of Shinobi fame in the game as an unlockable character. Unfortunately, SEGA didn't seem to care for that idea, as they turned the request down. Asensio didn't elaborate on why SEGA said no, so all we can do is be upset that they turned the idea down!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
So I was totally not sold on the game, hated the art style, etc. Started hearing good things about it and got a Switch on Monday and thought fuck it, give it a shot. It’s fucking incredible. Absolutely ridiculous how good it is. I was completely wrong.

Fuz

Banned
So I was totally not sold on the game, hated the art style, etc. Started hearing good things about it and got a Switch on Monday and thought fuck it, give it a shot. It’s fucking incredible. Absolutely ridiculous how good it is. I was completely wrong.
Son-I-Am-Disappoint-655x409.jpg

GametimeUK

You know when you're really down in the dumps and kind of don't want to exist anymore and then a simple thing like a game can just take your mind off things? Yeah, that was this game. Really enjoying it.

When it comes to less graphic intense games I've decided to buy on Switch so I can play handheld or on my TV / Monitor. I just need to stick at it, but I just love my multiplatform library to be on one place.

TaroYamada

You know when you're really down in the dumps and kind of don't want to exist anymore and then a simple thing like a game can just take your mind off things? Yeah, that was this game. Really enjoying it.

When it comes to less graphic intense games I've decided to buy on Switch so I can play handheld or on my TV / Monitor. I just need to stick at it, but I just love my multiplatform library to be on one place.

I played via Xbox Game Pass but I think I'll eventually purchase on Steam + Switch. Still considering a Switch physical copy.

SALMORE

Finished it for the 1st time yesterday with Axel via GamePass !!

I'll take another run at it with a different character but I'll leave the rest till my physical copies arrives

PhoenixTank

Currently bashing my head against the Mania brick wall. Getting there, but every level feels more cursed than the last.
Pros: There are twice as many enemies to combo
Cons: Oh god there are twice as many enemies

Free advice to everyone, make sure you are evading all throws. I didn't realize how significant this new mechanic was. If you're mashing jump, you will not get it. You get thrown, wait and hit jump right when you're about to land and you'll land on your feet and take no damage at all. You wont go into break status. You wont lose life you've spent on specials. 100% damage negation. Makes the punks that throw you almost harmless.
I might've gravely misunderstood what you're saying, but this has been there since SoR1, hasn't it? Jump (& up?) at least to recover from the Signals' throws from way back.
More significant with the combo system now. Is that what you meant? :messenger_grinning:
Good free advice either way!

Soodanim

I jumped back in again this morning after not playing for a week or so, but I can't stand the online judder. What's console online performance like? I know PC has been mentioned as needing a patch in the official Discord server, but I'm curious as to how different it really is.

Arcade mode in Hard seems almost impossible. I've made it to stage 9 on my own and in coop. Had one of the best online games I've ever played. No voice chat, total stranger, but we both played almost flawlessly and had some cool teamwork. Still wasnt enough though!

Cant even imagine people beating hardest and mania arcade runs. I'll have to research on YouTube I guess.

Search for anthopants on Youtube!
Have fun!

NahaNago

FInally finished it yesterday. The game was alright. I would have preferred more and interesting bosses. I was really just left wanting more from the game.

Md Ray

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Loved every moment of playing this. Someone suggest me some good modern beat 'em up games similar to this.

Soundtrack is a real grower, I know a lot of people hate it since they love the OG so much but damn there's catchy stuff here, I sometimes leave the Extras screen on to listen to this between rounds:

It's far, far better than any other OST in the series. It's probably the best OST this year. The more you listen to it, the better it is.

The soundtrack gets utterly amazing when you turn down the voices . I love it, cant say it enough. Considering even buying the Soundtrack stand alone which I never do for games. Although a friend did give me SOR3 soundtrack on Vinyl

The soundtrack gets utterly amazing when you turn down the voices . I love it, cant say it enough. Considering even buying the Soundtrack stand alone which I never do for games. Although a friend did give me SOR3 soundtrack on Vinyl
Yep. The volume is lower than the old games. I lowered SFX volume to 60%.

Woah! I'm at about 25 and I thought I had put a lot in!

I think Sor4 is the same case of the trilogy for me, i always revisit. I still play sor 1, 2 and 3...25 year later!

I have a huge collection, but i revisit them all, im not those collectors that buy games just to make the shelves cool. All games i have, i really play, i buy games that i really love, from all consoles u can imagine.

Some people play, beat and discard the game, them next game, beat, discard...(loop)
Those guys are not gamers imo.

Sorry to throw this here, i needed to say!

So, So4 for me will have infinite hours of gameplay! :)

Top Bottom