• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 4 - Cherry Hunter Gamescom 2019 Trailer

Xenon

Guitar, really? I Iike the concept of character that can move around the atop their enemies and attack from above. That part was cool. But please lose the instrument. This looks so stupid with the lectric' slide being cringe inducing.

molasar

Banned
Guitar, really?
Scott Pilgrim's girlfriend?

giphy.gif

tumblr_nv90s229ks1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Guitar, really? I Iike the concept of character that can move around the atop their enemies and attack from above. That part was cool. But please lose the instrument. This looks so stupid with the lectric' slide being cringe inducing.
Scott Pilgrim's girlfriend?

giphy.gif

tumblr_nv90s229ks1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Pretty sure they ripped off I-No

Helios

I don't dislike the visuals that much but this was the perfect opportunity for some amazing high-quality pixel-art and it's squandered for this art-style.

Kazza

Not too thrilled about the guitar, but the character looks nice apart from that. The moveset looks fun too (the bit where she jumps on the guy's shoulders and pummels his head with her fists is very reminiscent of a Skate move). The backgrounds are looking amazing, and it's great to see an elevator level.

This tweet from the developer is interesting:

"Targeting 2020" makes it sound like this may be pencilled in for a late 2020 release. That's later than I thought, but it is a small team and I'm glad they are willing to take their time with it.

Last edited:

Kazza

Two more things noticed:
1. That martial arts guy looks like Shiva!
2. The new character appears to be able to run. In SoR3 all characters could run, but the devs confirmed that this feature wouldn't make it to SoR4. However, in SoR2 Skate was an exception and could run. It looks like this new character will be an exception too. I'm glad we are getting a fast character. I hope the final character is a hulk of muscle (android Max?)

tkscz

Honestly, the Streets of Rage fan Remake is still looking like the better of the two games. Not saying this doesn't look good, but the fan remake did a TON of stuff that makes it amazing. Including introducing new playable characters, new levels (along with all the older ones). Splitting paths, tons of unlockables. This game is going to need a lot more to compete with a fan game from more than 5 years ago.

Ristifer

"Targeting 2020" makes it sound like this may be pencilled in for a late 2020 release. That's later than I thought, but it is a small team and I'm glad they are willing to take their time with it.
Maybe that bodes well for a physical release then. Hopefully?

Also, people on twitter sound so entitled, it's ridiculous.

Enjay

Banned
Honestly, the Streets of Rage fan Remake is still looking like the better of the two games. Not saying this doesn't look good, but the fan remake did a TON of stuff that makes it amazing. Including introducing new playable characters, new levels (along with all the older ones). Splitting paths, tons of unlockables. This game is going to need a lot more to compete with a fan game from more than 5 years ago.
And that soundtrack..... 🥰

Kazza

2. The new character appears to be able to run. In SoR3 all characters could run, but the devs confirmed that this feature wouldn't make it to SoR4. However, in SoR2 Skate was an exception and could run. It looks like this new character will be an exception too. I'm glad we are getting a fast character. I hope the final character is a hulk of muscle (android Max?)

As a religious Streets of Rage 1, 2 & Bare Knuckle 3 fan since being a wee tyke, the more I see of this game, the more I think it looks like dogshit. I want to like it but I'm an honest man, it looks fucking atrocious. It breaks my heart a little to see my favourite series like this.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Dangit. One of the best parts of 3 and Remake was universal running and dodge rolls. Sounds like they're rolling with 2 as a base ruleset.

Give us our mobility, damn it!
They stated before they didn't add running because they were basing this game off SoR2's gameplay. So just tap -> a to do the "running" attack. Also I saw Blaze fucking almost teleporting/doing a flying kick so maybe I'm just gonna spam that to not move as slow as a turtle.

plushyp

She's not that great (don't like the guitar gimmick), but I do like the references to brother & father.

HOWEVER: HOW DID NOONE NOTICE THE RETURN OF SHIVA!

He just has to be unlockable, no? Here's hoping for even more unlockables .
How has Shiva not aged at all though?

Gross. And what the fuck is up with that twizzlers hair?
You're one to talk, Brapiette.

738933.jpg

Kazza

Lots of new stuff in this footage (it says it's from stage 6). New enemies, new music, more shown of the Chinatown stage. The only thing I saw that I didn't like is the combo counter and words.

I think I'm at the point now where I have to decide whether or not to go media-blackout on this. I'm convinced it's going to be a good game and don't want to spoil too much.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Lots of new stuff in this footage (it says it's from stage 6). New enemies, new music, more shown of the Chinatown stage. The only thing I saw that I didn't like is the combo counter and words.

I think I'm at the point now where I have to decide whether or not to go media-blackout on this. I'm convinced it's going to be a good game and don't want to spoil too much.

Yeah, it looks good.

I just hope for better sfx and more voice clips.

NikuNashi

Im a huge SoR fan, it is one of my favorites. I keep giving this team a chance, but the trailers never feel right. This reeks of 2008-2010 garbage 2.5D revival era.

Agreed, I hate the visuals of this, either go sprites or go 3D, this just looks cheap unfortunately.

EDIT: Looks cheap, it obviously isn't, the character animation is great and the enemies have lots of personality.

Last edited:

Kazza

Yeah, it looks good.

I just hope for better sfx and more voice clips.

It's hard to tell at this early stage what is going to be in the end product and what are just placeholders. The sfx definitely lack the, er punch, of the originals at the moment, and the characters are a little too quiet. It's not going to come out until at least some time in 2020 (maybe even later), so there is plenty of time for this to change.

I'd like to see them add more environmental interaction. For example, in the section where they are fighting in the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant, it would be cool to be able to burn an enemy on a stove, fling them onto a table, or smack them with a hanging wok.

Belmonte

Now I feel like playing some beat'em ups. Any good ones recently or should I go back to the classics? The last one I played was Mother Russia Bleeds and it was alright.

Fight'N Rage is really good! It can be in the same room with the classics without lowering its head in shame. In some aspects, it is even better than the old beat em ups:

Many unlockables modes, colors, stages and endings.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
It just looks off. They didn't account for how much extra horizontal space there is when your game's widescreen, so everything just seems so sluggish. The characters needed a run/charge and it just needed to be faster in general.

The boss that can just do a 12 hit combo on you and effectively take your entire health bar is laughable, too. This one will be forgotten 2 weeks after it's released.

Orta

Banned
Looks nice but that isn't a Streets of Rage game. I'll buy it if its a tenner or so but I sure as hell ain't expecting sor2.

Kazza

The more I listen to the stage 6 music, the more I hope that it will be the in-game music and isn't just a placeholder. It's such a good mix of modern electronic and traditional oriental sounds.

Just a quick necro-bump for SR4 fans and are too busy to read all the XBox X019 London info where it might get lost in all the announcements........... Streets of Rage 4 coming to Game Pass.
DOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!
I'm probably already triple-dipping on this one, but damn if this isnt good news for gamepass subscribers.

Even with an art style that rubs me slightly the wrong way, I can't deny that gameplay, dizzamn.

Last edited:
Top Bottom