• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI expectations and predictions, when will it be announced, when will it realease and what do you expect

MagnesD3

I guess I'm in the minority I loved SF5 gameplay and art style

Gameplay was great it felt like a mix of SF2 and SFA. I like the V Trigger system where each character is more unique instead of sharing a universal mechanic like FADC.

Art style was great as well as animation apart from some clipping issues and Ken's banana hair.

The only things that being this game down is the long load times and bad online play.
Sfv is my favorite entry (minus sfxt) in the main series (Urien and G for life) but that being said after playing it an incredible amount it definitely has real issues. Alot of V triggers sadly just turned into easy combo extenders, they have gotten a bit better but it's still a bit too samey between alot of them imo.

The main thing I'd wish for mechanically is just more player expression.

Last edited:

kyoji

Capcom already said PC is their primary platform moving forward, Capcom will likely never do an exclusive again and it didnt help street fighter at all.
Lol.

Capcom Fighting Game Sales - As of September 30, 2021​

Street Fighter 2 (SNES) - 6.3 million
Street Fighter 5 - 6.0 million
Street Fighter 2 Turbo - 4.1 million
Street Fighter 4 - 3.4 million
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds - 2.2 million
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 2.0 million
Super Street Fighter 2 - 2.0 million
Super Street Fighter 4 - 1.9 million
Street Fighter X Tekken - 1.9 million
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - 1.7 million
Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition - 1.65 million
Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 1.5 million
Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age Of Heroes - 1.4 million
Street Fighter 4 3D Edition - 1.3 million
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 1.2 million
Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition - 1.1 million
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - 1.2 million
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 1.0 million

Capcom Fighting Game Sales - As of June 30, 2021​

Street Fighter 2 (SNES) - 6.3million
Street Fighter 5 - 5.8 million
Super Street Fighter 2 - 2 million
Street Fighter X Tekken - 1.8 million
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 1.9 million
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 1 million

Lol.

Capcom Fighting Game Sales - As of September 30, 2021​

Street Fighter 2 (SNES) - 6.3 million
Street Fighter 5 - 6.0 million
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 2.0 million
Super Street Fighter 2 - 2.0 million
Street Fighter X Tekken - 1.9 million
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 1.0 million

Capcom Fighting Game Sales - As of June 30, 2021​

Street Fighter 2 (SNES) - 6.3million
Street Fighter 5 - 5.8 million
Super Street Fighter 2 - 2 million
Street Fighter X Tekken - 1.8 million
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection - 1.9 million
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - 1 million

Mortal Kombat sold over double the games with fewer discounts in a shorter amount of time.

Do you think capcom would like 6 mil or 12 ?

kyoji

Mortal Kombat sold over double the games with fewer discounts in a shorter amount of time.

Sf v is on pc as well, in not sure why youre bringing up MK, im showing you sf did fine when compared to other sf entries.
“Capcom already said PC is their primary platform moving forward, Capcom will likely never do an exclusive again and it didnt help street fighter at all.”

Sf v is on pc as well, in not sure why youre bringing up MK, im showing you sf did fine when compared to other sf entries.
“Capcom already said PC is their primary platform moving forward, Capcom will likely never do an exclusive again and it didnt help street fighter at all.”
And I proved the point, do you really think 6 mil copies over 10 years is impressive ? When your competition is doing much much better. No the exclusivity didnt help their bottom line.

Wont happen again there's nothing in it for them. Makes more sense to have their games every where.

kyoji

And I proved the point, do you really think 6 mil copies over 10 years is impressive ? When your competition is doing much much better. No the exclusivity didnt help their bottom line.

Wont happen again there's nothing in it for them. Makes more sense to have their games every where.
10 years? Please exit now sir u have no idea what youre talking about. Also i love mk but the support for the game is dead, sells mean nothing if there is no active support or scene to continue pushing the game.

10 years? Please exit now sir u have no idea what youre talking about. Also i love mk but the support for the game is dead, sells mean nothing if there is no active support or scene to continue pushing the game.
My bad I got the release dates wrong , it dropped 6 years ago. Still got bodied by MK. Now MK is the more popular franchise. Sucks for capcom. They made the wrong bets.

I don't mind if it takes a long while to come out, I just want story mode from the get-go and a decent base roster, no less than 20 fighters. Oh and please have faster loading times. I often end up booting another fighting game simply cause it takes less time to load between fights.

kyoji

My bad I got the release dates wrong , it dropped 6 years ago. Still got bodied by MK. Now MK is the more popular franchise. Sucks for capcom. They made the wrong bets.
Just take the L man, this is about sf not mk i really dont care, i showed you evidence that sf v did fine when compared with previous titles.

I like and played MK but it is full of casuals and support is already dropped so 12million sold doesnt mean shit for a fighting game if there is no largely active community for it to push the game forward. But continue on with your nonsense.

Mabdia

Okay, if they can do something like that 1st image and the sketch drawing then we can talk. Because when I see other people mention cel-shading they like to bring up Guilty Gear or DBZ. I like the look of those games but those styles aren't a good fit for Street Fighter IMHO.

Tho I still kinda think SFV could fit this style by just making the hands and feet smaller. TBH I'd love something between the following for SF6:

chun-li-legacy_street-fighter_gallery_5c4bdb81cc02a.jpg

This one more to show how this type of aesthetic could work with more realistic lighting and texture fidelity, kind of to give an idea of what a 9th-gen only Street Fighter could do in terms of cartoon/anime/real-life visual style mixture.

And if you want to try making the characters look a bit more "real" in visual style, at least use good inspiration:

pixlr-20191213140636130-1314x740-1.jpg

Don't know but to me both the statue and the cosplayer does not look like the Chun-Li that I know since 90's with SF2 and the Alpha series.

The game does not need to be realistic, it is a game where people trows fire ball from their hands. Fighting games works because it was never all about muscular force, but spiritual force helps on build the strength of a character. I would prefer never see even a male character with that much muscle.

That being said, a fighter don't need to be that muscular to fight real good. You can use Donnie Yen as an example. He's not that muscular as Mike Tyson, but both of them can fight each other with good chances of both win a match.

That's why something like that always works for a fighting game:

chunny-alpha31.jpg

To be honest with you, if they do a female character as that cosplayer, that could be a huge let down to me. I really don't need a Abby in my Street Fighter.

Oh, I forgot. The image comparing SF main series and SFA and Vs series. To be honest with you, VS and Alpha was always better in art and gameplay. And originally the Art of SF was more like Alpha and VS series.

Well... you right. But if you took away all the blood and carnage of MK, what else do you have?

You measuring to different bests here. MK is a casual fighting game (and damn, I like casual fighting games) that sells only because the blood gimmick since 90's.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned

It's a silly comparison. It's like saying why is this shooter not selling as good as Call of Duty. MK and Smash Bros are the COD of the fighting games genre. MK has a way bigger budget that Street Fighter and is more widely appealing with its gore etc, it had a live action movie etc.

KAL2006

Banned
Don't know but to me both the statue and the cosplayer does not look like the Chun-Li that I know since 90's with SF2 and the Alpha series.

The game does not need to be realistic, it is a game where people trows fire ball from their hands. Fighting games works because it was never all about muscular force, but spiritual force helps on build the strength of a character. I would prefer never see even a male character with that much muscle.

That being said, a fighter don't need to be that muscular to fight real good. You can use Donnie Yen as an example. He's not that muscular as Mike Tyson, but both of them can fight each other with good chances of both win a match.

chunny-alpha31.jpg

To be honest with you, if they do a female character as that cosplayer, that could be a huge let down to me. I really don't need a Abby in my Street Fighter.

Well... you right. But if you took away all the blood and carnage of MK, what else do you have?

You measuring to different bests here. MK is a casual fighting game (and damn, I like casual fighting games) that sells only because the blood gimmick since 90's.

So you think Donnie Yen can beat up Tyson both in their prime? Just wow

yurinka

It was initially scheduled as a crossgen, multiplatform game for the last quarter of 2022. I think due to covid, very likely has been delayed to February 2023.

Not sure if Capcom ever announced anything at the Game Awards, so I think they won't announce it there. I think Capcom will prefer to use their own events instead:
-Announcement with a teaser just after the Capcom Cup finals in February/March.
-Full reveal and maybe a beta announcement at SFV EVO finals 2022.
-There may be a beta during PlayStation Experience (December 2022) and very likely one before it.

They may even announce it at one of these Street Fighter showcase video streams where the producer and director of the game talk about the game, announce and show upcoming stuff.

I guess I'm in the minority I loved SF5 gameplay and art style

Gameplay was great it felt like a mix of SF2 and SFA. I like the V Trigger system where each character is more unique instead of sharing a universal mechanic like FADC.

Art style was great as well as animation apart from some clipping issues and Ken's banana hair.

The only things that being this game down is the long load times and bad online play.
100% agree, but I have a good internet connection (I play wired, 1gbps fiber connection) and my online play is very good in most matches. For sure, there's room for improvement after playing Guilty Gear Strive but I wouldn't call the current online bad, in fact it's the best online we got for a SF.

Youre not in the minority alot of people play sf v actively and the scene is still big, this thread is full of casuals
Full of haters and trolls, pretty likely not casuals.

I hear this a lot. I mostly just spectate, but I remember there was a powerful vibe that every player was sick to death of SFIV about a year before SFV released. Gradually I hear more and more people saying that IV was better. I'm too casual a player to really have a strong feeling but it seems like more people have come out as preferring IV in the last year, or at least those that do have become much more vocal about it
It's the street fighter cycle: there are many haters (most of them never played the game) who hate the most recent one and say the previous one was way better. Happened since the SF2 days with its updates, and later with Alpha, SF3, IV and V. Now most haters are starting to accept SFV is great, and once they release SFVI they will hate it and will say SFV was great and way better.

They are mostly some noisy forum trolls who feel the need of assaulting every SF thread. The reality is different: before the end of this fiscal year SFV will become the (home version SKU) best selling Capcom fighting game ever even if it launched with some issues that were fixed over time.

SFV was released in 2016. It's a bit more around 5 years and a half old. SFV is about to become the best selling Capcom fighting game SKU ever (this is not counting the huge amount of DLC/MTX/season passes it sold), and being released in a single console only Tekken 7 (with a million more), Dragon Ball (with 8M), MK and Smash outsold it this generation, all the other ones are way under it.

Tekken, Dragon Ball or MK were in other consoles (DB or MK even in Switch) while SFV not.

Last edited:

Danknugz

i do hope to get around to playing sfV before sfVI releases. i picked up the base game and all the dlc as of this spring for like 5 dollars or something

KAL2006

Banned
Yes. Both are amazing fighters and could be an amazing fight. Both can win a match against each other.

Mike Tyson would be destroying Donnie Yen, are you one of those guys thinking Kung Fu folks can win fights against Boxers. Magic Chi energy would beat a A dude twice the size and twice the muscle mass.

killatopak

Gold Member
Barehanded and I think Tyson would just overpower with sheer strength and mass.

With a weapon though? I’d give it to Donnie Yen.

kyoji

It was initially scheduled as a crossgen, multiplatform game for the last quarter of 2022. I think due to covid, very likely has been delayed to February 2023.

Not sure if Capcom ever announced anything at the Game Awards, so I think they won't announce it there. I think Capcom will prefer to use their own events instead:
-Announcement with a teaser just after the Capcom Cup finals in February/March.
-Full reveal and maybe a beta announcement at SFV EVO finals 2022.
-There may be a beta during PlayStation Experience (December 2022) and very likely one before it.

100% agree, but I have a good internet connection (I play wired, 1gbps fiber connection) and my online play is very good in most matches. For sure, there's room for improvement after playing Guilty Gear Strive but I wouldn't call the current online bad, in fact it's the best online we got for a SF.

Full of haters and trolls, pretty likely not casuals.

It's the street fighter cycle: there are many haters (most of them never played the game) who hate the most recent one and say the previous one was way better. Happened since the SF2 days with its updates, and later with Alpha, SF3, IV and V. Now most haters are starting to accept SFV is great, and once they release SFVI they will hate it and will say SFV was great and way better.

They are mostly some noisy forum trolls who feel the need of assaulting every SF thread. The reality is different: before the end of this fiscal year SFV will become the (home version SKU) best selling Capcom fighting game ever even if it launched with some issues that were fixed over time.

SFV was released in 2016. It's a bit more around 5 years and a half old. SFV is about to become the best selling Capcom fighting game SKU ever (this is not counting the huge amount of DLC/MTX/season passes it sold), and being released in a single console only Tekken 7 (with a million more), Dragon Ball (with 8M), MK and Smash outsold it this generation, all the other ones are way under it.

Tekken, Dragon Ball or MK were in other consoles (DB or MK even in Switch) while SFV not.
Lot of good points here, most of which fly over some of u people heads

Mabdia

Barehanded and I think Tyson would just overpower with sheer strength and mass.

With a weapon though? I’d give it to Donnie Yen.

I think that anyone can with bare hands. And I guess that could be a really amazing fight in theirs prime days.

Mike Tyson would be destroying Donnie Yen, are you one of those guys thinking Kung Fu folks can win fights against Boxers. Magic Chi energy would beat a A dude twice the size and twice the muscle mass.

No, I'm one of those who believes that 2 good fighters can have a really good fight.

What makes Tyson an awesome fighter back in his prime was his speed. The same applies to Yen. Both are really amazing and have good fights. Just so you know, Filming Ip Man 3 Tyson has broken his fingers while filming a fight scene with Yen while people was scared that Tyson could destroy Yen. Again both of then are amazing fighters.

If you have a skilled Kung Fu fighter and a skilled boxer, you can watch a really good match and anyone can win in this situation. Fighting isn't just about strength, but also about skill. And both have this even today.

dezzy8

I see them first announcing the game at Capcom Cup before or after the final match. Don’t want to kill the hype of 5’s latest character and upcoming Capcom cup by announcing at the game awards.
It’s definitely not going to release in 2021 I think it’ll come out early 2022 because Capcom loves their spring fighting game releases.
The art style is definitely going to be an evolution of 5s with more detail and more customization. The combat should definitely be more exciting than 5s at launch. I think they are going to go the way of SFxT with ground bounces, wall bounces and lots of juggles. This is going off of the last couple of character dlc from 5.

dezzy8

Yes. Both are amazing fighters and could be an amazing fight. Both can win a match against each other.
In their prime, Mike would kill Donnie yen. Dude is probably 140, 150 lbs at most. Tyson was like 220 in his prime. With his speed and power there wouldn’t even be a competition.

yurinka

No, I'm one of those who believes that 2 good fighters can have a really good fight.

What makes Tyson an awesome fighter back in his prime was his speed. The same applies to Yen. Both are really amazing and have good fights. Just so you know, Filming Ip Man 3 Tyson has broken his fingers while filming a fight scene with Yen while people was scared that Tyson could destroy Yen. Again both of then are amazing fighters.

If you have a skilled Kung Fu fighter and a skilled boxer, you can watch a really good match and anyone can win in this situation. Fighting isn't just about strength, but also about skill. And both have this even today.
No, there's a massive difference in strength and weight between a boxer like Tyson and any kung fu fighter. Kung Fu is nice for movies with its dance like moves, but in a real fight it's crap. Being punched by Tyson is almost like being hit by a small car. And well, Tyson is a professional fighter, a boxing legend. Yen is only an actor who trained at amateur level in several martial arts.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

A new art style, and something that feels more like a complete game at launch, unlike SFV.

There was a point where I LOVED SF IV SO much. But SFV? Couldn't get into it whatsoever.

chunny-alpha31.jpg

Oh, I forgot. The image comparing SF main series and SFA and Vs series. To be honest with you, VS and Alpha was always better in art and gameplay. And originally the Art of SF was more like Alpha and VS series.

Dude, she's nothing like an Abby, she's not gonna bash Ryu's head in with a golf club xD. Check her Insta, name's Yuan Herong

I agree with you that a character doesn't need to be super-muscular in order to be a convincing fighter but TBH I would not consider the SFV girls as super-exaggerated muscular. Those would be bodybuilder showcase-like physiques, whereas the females in that game, yes they're muscular but their physique is still normal/inline with what you'd expect.

Truth is, women who train for a sport tend to be more muscularly toned than average women, with thicker thighs, calves, arms etc. There are definitely women IRL who have physiques similar to Chun-Li, Laura, Cammy etc. who are not musclehead bodybuilders or even close. The cosplayer wasn't put there because that's what I specifically want overall for the female characters in SF6, but to show where they could take some inspiration from, like for example skin texture or lighting models, or hair modeling.

Also we'll prob have to agree to disagree on Alpha/VS vs mainline SF. Games like MvC 2 were way too hectic for me and games like Alpha 3 are balance-broken due to some game mechanics. I do like the artstyle of CoTA/Alpha 2/Xmen vs SF/MSH vs SF etc. but none of them beat SF3 2I/3S visually. Gameplay-wise I prefer the more methodical approach of mainline SF games since they're more footsie-based. Only VS game I may potentially put over those (for gameplay purposes, not aesthetic/OST) is Capcom vs SNK 2.

I see them first announcing the game at Capcom Cup before or after the final match. Don’t want to kill the hype of 5’s latest character and upcoming Capcom cup by announcing at the game awards.
It’s definitely not going to release in 2021 I think it’ll come out early 2022 because Capcom loves their spring fighting game releases.
The art style is definitely going to be an evolution of 5s with more detail and more customization. The combat should definitely be more exciting than 5s at launch. I think they are going to go the way of SFxT with ground bounces, wall bounces and lots of juggles. This is going off of the last couple of character dlc from 5.

Sounds good outside of it releasing early 2022. Think it's gonna be late 2022/early 2023 myself, though most likely late 2022. They'll probably hold off start of next Capcom Cup season for early 2023 so late 2022 release gives pros enough time to lab and learn tech for a season kickoff in say March 2023.

I do hope they make some specific gameplay-related changes tho; there needs to be a means for chip kills to exist again that doesn't only rely on Critical Arts, and they need to get rid of the built-in 3 frame buffer window. Those would be good places to start IMO.

Also brief aside: folks talking about SFV's sales, yes it sold roughly 5.5 million LTD but a LOT of those sales were at steep discounts, well below initial MSRP. That's why you shouldn't use sales only as a useful metric here. DLC content literally saved the game from being an abject failure, financially speaking. Capcom can't have a repeat of V's horrible launch and first year because that initial momentum means a lot.

Last edited:

kyoji

This thread has gone wayyyyy off topic. But im just going to leave this here, and if you dont think you would be close to death without proper training or really hurt youre crazy.

Also if youve ever been punched in the gut you know how debilitating it can be.

I expect or want full cel-shading like Gulity Gear. They have done two sequels with a similar 3D + fake shading art style and it is a bit tiring in my opinion.
At least make the SF6 in-game graphics as good as SFV's cinematics, that is what I hope for.
This right here. If they can find a way to make SFVI's graphics/art style resemble that of SFV's cutscenes/CG Trailers. I would be very happy about that. But I worry that it might not happen because from a logistics standpoint. I can still see SFVI being a cross-gen game (PS4, PS5, PC - Possibly Xbox family too).

The chip shortage stuff is no joke at all and even for event organizers. They are still having a lot of problems trying to obtain PS5s for their offline events. My team is lucky to even have two of them right now.

McCheese

My safe bets:

+ Proper story mode available day one, with bonus rounds!
+ Optional free tier of multiplayer with character rotation
+ Decent Rollback netcode
+ No longer a Playstation exclusive
+ Easier way to share and watch great fights online

- Will introduce more "guest" characters and fewer original characters
- Will double down on e-sports and sponsored events
- Twitch integration into the main UI
- Sexualisation toned down on the women, Cammy is going to wear pants for sure
- Will be cross-gen

Last edited by a moderator:
Please have make the art style not like SF5 or 4.
Maybe Street Fighter 6 or Alpha 4 with the art style of something like King of Fighters 13.

They're never going back to 2D style graphics. At the very most. Even with what ArcSys has done. Street Fighter has now become a Games as Service. They want to sell as much cosmetics as possible. That's not going to be easy for them to replicate the game's engine to follow the art style of something that you'd see with ArcSys games. It's a lot of work and is probably very expensive for them. Capcom has money. But I mean.. look at Monster Hunter and Resident Evil, their ROI is far much greater than what they put in to develop their games.

Kokoloko85

They're never going back to 2D style graphics. At the very most. Even with what ArcSys has done. Street Fighter has now become a Games as Service. They want to sell as much cosmetics as possible. That's not going to be easy for them to replicate the game's engine to follow the art style of something that you'd see with ArcSys games. It's a lot of work and is probably very expensive for them. Capcom has money. But I mean.. look at Monster Hunter and Resident Evil, their ROI is far much greater than what they put in to develop their games.
I know but if the make a normal fighting game and not a service they should go back to 2d. Its where there best fighting games. Arcsys would be my second choice.

Maybe they should do 3d for there next game and 2d for an alpha 4 etc

My safe bets:

+ Proper story mode available day one, with bonus rounds!

Hopefully this also means a Cinematic Story Mode; it adds value and content to the package so why not?

+ Optional free tier of multiplayer with character rotation

I think they'll make it F2P in terms of the roster and usual modes (Arcade, Story/Cinematic, Versus, limited Online) but have costumes, stages, OSTs, artwork, expanded Online (large lobbies, Tournament options, maybe live match commentary etc.) etc. as purchasable items.

+ Decent Rollback netcode

Yeah this is a must
+ No longer a Playstation exclusive

The leaked document listed PS, PC, and Xbox platforms. Current-gen (i.e PS5, Xbox Series)-only as well IIRC. Hopefully it stays that way. If they hit a late 2022 release then there's almost no reason to make it natively cross-gen, but I can see an option like Microsoft and Sony hosting the game via cloud streaming to XBO/PS4 (maybe even Nintendo gets in on it to do similar with Switch?) platforms.

+ Easier way to share and watch great fights online

Possibly.

- Will introduce more "guest" characters and fewer original characters
- Will double down on e-sports and sponsored events

Yeah both of these have me concerned; I like games to try and establish their own universe canon and not push some "multiverse" cross-promo stuff with other games so much, almost like making things too meta. That type of stuff just seems less genuine and endearing to me, like it's chasing some big fad so it's going to date very badly over time. Kind of what I think will happen with Fortnite for example TBH.

At least Capcom have stuck to only bringing in their own characters, and where it makes sense. Stuff with Luke tho, in terms of the theory he's a young Captain Commando, kind of has me a bit worried. Yeah that's also a Capcom IP but I've never pictured that series existing much in the same space as Street Fighter. In my head something like mainline SF getting Final Fight characters just "feels" more right than getting characters from Bionic Commander or stuff like Ghouls n' Ghosts, Mega Man etc. Save that stuff for the wackier VS games.

I'm also worried about esports taking things over too much. Grassroots FGC is the best, but the games themselves function better without trying to design them around esports because that also seems to have come with scaling back some of the theatrics and simplifying too many of the mechanics. It's too corporate. Kinda fretting over what this means for things like EVO now that Sony co-own them (along with Pokimane, apparently and weirdly enough). They can probably help with visibility but I hope they don't sanitize the player theatrics too much.

- Twitch integration into the main UI
- Sexualisation toned down on the women, Cammy is going to wear pants for sure
- Will be cross-gen

I don't care too much about the Twitch stuff, tho that'd seem like a FU to Facebook and Youtube. At most I think Capcom'll just make it very easy for players to broadcast their gameplay to one of the popular streaming platforms, that way it doesn't look like they're playing favorites. They may have some integrated Discord integration tho.

I can definitely see them toning down the sexuality of the female characters, at least with the base outfits. If Mika comes back for example she'll probably have a new default that "conveniently" censors her traditional outfit. TBH tho I don't mind them doing that so long as they allow us to purchase some of the more risque outfits (even if they would be defaults in a more sane era) as DLC costumes. One thing SFV was good for was having a shit ton of costume alts, a lot of them pretty good some even great. No reason for Capcom to not give some fanservice (not just for the girls but guys too, gotta be equal opportunity here after all) outfits as DLC cosmetics.

Plus even if Capcom somehow completely drops the ball the PC modders will find a way to add enough spice back to things like they always do 🤤😁👍

I know but if the make a normal fighting game and not a service they should go back to 2d. Its where there best fighting games. Arcsys would be my second choice.

Maybe they should do 3d for there next game and 2d for an alpha 4 etc

A pure 2D AAA game, especially a fighting one, is prohibitively expensive and time-consuming and not worth the costs. And a "normal" (non-GaaS orientated) fighter probably doesn't work in the AAA space anymore, unless potentially Smash Bros, and even that has made a shift towards seasonal content updates.

Kokoloko85

A pure 2D AAA game, especially a fighting one, is prohibitively expensive and time-consuming and not worth the costs. And a "normal" (non-GaaS orientated) fighter probably doesn't work in the AAA space anymore, unless potentially Smash Bros, and even that has made a shift towards seasonal content updates.

I get there expensive but they cant be that expensive if capcom and snk use to release multiple 2d fighting games yearly between 94-2002 etc.
They’d release a Street fight Alpha. Street Fighter 3 and a marvel crossover in the same year. With much smaller teams.

Im pretty sure capcom can afford to make them. Your right on the season content etc.

But no reason capcom cant make a standalone 2D fighting game.
Id rather 1 2D Street fighter game and a Super version in couple of years than a 3D street fighter with season updates.

They can also do what arcsystem does and make it look 2D

This right here. If they can find a way to make SFVI's graphics/art style resemble that of SFV's cutscenes/CG Trailers. I would be very happy about that. But I worry that it might not happen because from a logistics standpoint. I can still see SFVI being a cross-gen game (PS4, PS5, PC - Possibly Xbox family too).

The chip shortage stuff is no joke at all and even for event organizers. They are still having a lot of problems trying to obtain PS5s for their offline events. My team is lucky to even have two of them right now.

I really hope last gen doesn't hold it back. I am not sure why but I feel less and less like I must have each console generation now, perhaps I am getting old.
I feel like I can skip this gen entirely if SF6 doesn't "wow" me. Funny how in my teens I would get consoles primarily because of one fighting game (SNES for SF2 Turbo and PS1 for Tekken 3).

Well here's a character idea of mine they could do: Sunburnt Sakura.

Sakura was training in the mountains with Ryu and she fell asleep in the sun and got really badly sunburnt. Consequently, she's super irritable and has more powerful, rage filled attacks, but her skin is badly damaged and sensitive so she takes extra damage as well. It's the glass cannon/dark side version of Sakura like Evil Ryu or Violent Ken, but with an appropriate lore explanation for a more comedic character.

Dr. Suchong

I'd love some awful decisions just to watch the meltdowns.
Something truly dreadful like digitised character sprites and backdrops, guest characters from Pitfighter, their own spin on fatalities, special moves are now Microtransactions, Keyboard controls only, Ryu's dick hanging out in the opening cinematics, basically a fuck up so mind blowingly bad that by comparison Cyberpunk and GTA trilogy look like they should be on display in the Louvre. 😛

Last edited:
It will be called Street Fighter IIIx2. It will have a SF3 art style but cell shaded like a Guilty Gear. Cartoony aspects will be toned down.

Hmmm....

I really hope last gen doesn't hold it back. I am not sure why but I feel less and less like I must have each console generation now, perhaps I am getting old.
I feel like I can skip this gen entirely if SF6 doesn't "wow" me. Funny how in my teens I would get consoles primarily because of one fighting game (SNES for SF2 Turbo and PS1 for Tekken 3).

Where are you guys getting cross-gen from? Didn't the leaked documents only mention PS5, Xbox Series and PC for supported platforms? The game's probably not coming until late 2022 and console availability should be a lot more improved by then, so why shackle it to PS4 (and maybe XBO)?

Both PS5 and Xbox Series are selling faster than their last-gen platforms (and in Series' case, at least on pace with 360), most of the audience for fighters will have likely either gotten decent PCs or upgraded to current-gen systems by the first two years of current gen.

Well here's a character idea of mine they could do: Sunburnt Sakura.

Sakura was training in the mountains with Ryu and she fell asleep in the sun and got really badly sunburnt. Consequently, she's super irritable and has more powerful, rage filled attacks, but her skin is badly damaged and sensitive so she takes extra damage as well. It's the glass cannon/dark side version of Sakura like Evil Ryu or Violent Ken, but with an appropriate lore explanation for a more comedic character.

Eh, no thanks xD. SFIV went berserk with wasted shoto slots, SFV almost kinda did with Kage (he's come into his own tho); keep Sunburnt Sakura/Violent Ken/Evil Ryu to the VS games and MUGEN.

Keyboard controls only

TBH I kinda feel more comfortable playing 3S on keyboard than with a controller, even for chars like Hugo. Altho for those kind of chars it means no 360s.

I played Street Fighter 3 exclusively… decided to buy the recent Marvel vs Capcom, that shit is trash.

I think im gonna stick to the old shit whenever a bum guest wants to fight.

SSfox

And Genshin Impact made 100 time more money than MK11. And so what's your point?

6 millions copies sold is awesome, trying to make it sound it's failure is pure nonsense or ignorant, or both.

yurinka

I really hope the story is set after sf3.
Some parts of SFV story already are after SF3. Seems SF6 is going to happen mainly after SF3 but will feature time travelling to rewrite stuff from the past. I think they will use this excuse to both continue the events after SF3 and to reboot -at least the early chapters of the SF canon-.

Where are you guys getting cross-gen from? Didn't the leaked documents only mention PS5, Xbox Series and PC for supported platforms? The game's probably not coming until late 2022 and console availability should be a lot more improved by then, so why shackle it to PS4 (and maybe XBO)?
As I remember the leaked document (written in early 2020) mentioned Oct-Dec 2022 release for PS4, PS5, XBO, Xbox Series and PC. It's fair to assume that as usually happens will get delayed, specially now with Covid and with the huge hacker attack they suffered, which included SF6 related documents and mails.

They also target PS4 and XBO because over 2/3 of the PS and Xbox fanbase still will be in the previous generation at the moment of its release and because this type of games can be easily scaled back or up.

Last edited:

Mabdia

Dude, she's nothing like an Abby, she's not gonna bash Ryu's head in with a golf club xD. Check her Insta, name's Yuan Herong

I agree with you that a character doesn't need to be super-muscular in order to be a convincing fighter but TBH I would not consider the SFV girls as super-exaggerated muscular. Those would be bodybuilder showcase-like physiques, whereas the females in that game, yes they're muscular but their physique is still normal/inline with what you'd expect.

Truth is, women who train for a sport tend to be more muscularly toned than average women, with thicker thighs, calves, arms etc. There are definitely women IRL who have physiques similar to Chun-Li, Laura, Cammy etc. who are not musclehead bodybuilders or even close. The cosplayer wasn't put there because that's what I specifically want overall for the female characters in SF6, but to show where they could take some inspiration from, like for example skin texture or lighting models, or hair modeling.

Also we'll prob have to agree to disagree on Alpha/VS vs mainline SF. Games like MvC 2 were way too hectic for me and games like Alpha 3 are balance-broken due to some game mechanics. I do like the artstyle of CoTA/Alpha 2/Xmen vs SF/MSH vs SF etc. but none of them beat SF3 2I/3S visually. Gameplay-wise I prefer the more methodical approach of mainline SF games since they're more footsie-based. Only VS game I may potentially put over those (for gameplay purposes, not aesthetic/OST) is Capcom vs SNK 2.

Sounds good outside of it releasing early 2022. Think it's gonna be late 2022/early 2023 myself, though most likely late 2022. They'll probably hold off start of next Capcom Cup season for early 2023 so late 2022 release gives pros enough time to lab and learn tech for a season kickoff in say March 2023.

I do hope they make some specific gameplay-related changes tho; there needs to be a means for chip kills to exist again that doesn't only rely on Critical Arts, and they need to get rid of the built-in 3 frame buffer window. Those would be good places to start IMO.

Also brief aside: folks talking about SFV's sales, yes it sold roughly 5.5 million LTD but a LOT of those sales were at steep discounts, well below initial MSRP. That's why you shouldn't use sales only as a useful metric here. DLC content literally saved the game from being an abject failure, financially speaking. Capcom can't have a repeat of V's horrible launch and first year because that initial momentum means a lot.

I understand the concept about the muscles in the characters. To me something like MVC3 could be really good. Not extravagant nor no muscles at all.

Back to the gameplay. To me the pinnacle of VS series is Marvel VS Street Fighter. The best gameplay in the series. I really hate the 4 buttons scheme that they uses in MVC2. 6 Buttons for the win!!!

About Alpha series. The best one has to be Alpha 2. If they make something like Alpha 2 that allow you to use 2 kinds of Super Moves without you have to choose one at the start of a battle, if they allow you to have control over your super move bar, allowing you to choose a weaker Super Move using just one bar of 3 or even all of your super bar, could make the gameplay more fun to play.

I really hate to just have one use to that bar with a super move or uses it as an ex move. To me it makes the game more accessible while maintaining all the complexity of the game. Something like easy to enter, hard to master like situation.

KAL2006

Banned
My dream roster
Ryu
Ken
Amuma
Gouken
Sakura
Sean
Dan
Sunburnt Sakura
Evil Ryu
Kage
Violent Ken
Goutetsu
Go Hibiki
Oni
Shin Akuma
Mel Masters
Hinata
Sagat

I think that's a good roster with plenty of variety

KAL2006

Banned
I get there expensive but they cant be that expensive if capcom and snk use to release multiple 2d fighting games yearly between 94-2002 etc.
They’d release a Street fight Alpha. Street Fighter 3 and a marvel crossover in the same year. With much smaller teams.

Im pretty sure capcom can afford to make them. Your right on the season content etc.

But no reason capcom cant make a standalone 2D fighting game.
Id rather 1 2D Street fighter game and a Super version in couple of years than a 3D street fighter with season updates.

They can also do what arcsystem does and make it look 2D

Capcom Board of Directors

Guy 1
"We making a ton of money with costumes we need to double Chunli costume output"

Guy 2
"Let's make a 2D game we can't have costumes as it's 2D"

Guy 1
"Sounds line a great idea let's do that'

Top Bottom