• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI expectations and predictions, when will it be announced, when will it realease and what do you expect

KAL2006

Banned
So the final DLC is due to release for Street Fighter V with the release of Luke. Capcom have already stated the character has a future for the Street Fighter universe. Lukes story mode can potentially provide further hints to Street Fighter VI.

We know Capcom Cup as well as the final patch for the game has been delayed to March 2022.

So when will it be announced. Well it's a toss up between Game Awards next month, Capcom Cup in March next year and perhaps E3 2022 the latest. It can even be revealed in a random State of Play. Judging by the announcements of majority of Capcom games, I believe Capcom will announce in another popular event to get the news out with the widest potential audience. They have don't this with Resident Evil, DMC and etc, hell they did it with Street Fighter V. So that for me leaves Capcom Cup in March announcement out of the question. Based on the leaks (Capcom leaks had release as 2022, GeForce leak stated 01/01/2023). So based on patterns of lining up with the kick off of Capcom come this leads me to believe Street Fighter VI will release in February 2023. Street Fighter 4 and 5 both released in February as well. Capcom will need a marketing cycle with drip feed of character announcements, play testing as well as potential Beta.

With all that information above I believe Street Fighter VI will officially be revealed in Game Awards next month. It will be a brief trailer with quick snippets of in-game footage but trailer will mainly be CG. It will be until Capcom Cup in March 2022 is when we will see a proper gameplay footage, with the winner and runner up getting to play the first ever match live.

What I expect for Street Fighter VI is a character roster of atleast 20. Brand new character models with more detail as well as stages having much more detail. I also expect more singleplayer content and more monetisation with cosmetics. This time around you can edit specific character clothes by changing Chun Lis, bracelets, outfit, etc individually similar to Tekken and Mortal Kombat. In terms of gameplay I think they will continue with the something similar to V Trigger where each character has unique powerup a moves, but they will probably expand on this more. In terms of roster I think Ryu, Ken, Chunli will definitely return but I expect Capcom to take more risks this time around and not just stick to SF2 cast but at the same time not go too wild and have a all new roster like SF3. I also expect timeline to be after SF3 so older characters will appear older and perhaps have a apprentice replace them, this had already happen with characters like Menat. In terms of online play I think this will be massively improved as MvC Infinite has shown Capcop do have a working online fighting game without issues.

Anyways what do you guys think I feel like the time is near and I'm excited for the announcement and hype cycle of Street Fighter VI.

SFV came a long way. Still such a bad game compared to iv
I hear this a lot. I mostly just spectate, but I remember there was a powerful vibe that every player was sick to death of SFIV about a year before SFV released. Gradually I hear more and more people saying that IV was better. I'm too casual a player to really have a strong feeling but it seems like more people have come out as preferring IV in the last year, or at least those that do have become much more vocal about it

SFV artstyle is great tbh, dunno why the hate. Yeah they can scale back the size of the hands and feet now but other than that I love the physique on the fighters especially the females. Best looking ladies in a fighting game who actually look like they can kick some ass (and look sexy doing it).

bruno-peschiera-clee3.jpg

E6yg1xwVEAQ4Ft2.jpg:small

kvj8n72svzh11.jpg

If they go to a cel-shaded look they'll lose all of that muscular definition and that'll feel like a regression IMO but yeah, they can definitely make the hands and feet more normal proportioned. And also make the hair physics better, way too much clipping in V with that. Also make the backgrounds better from a technical POV; not only can't some be played in tourney but a lot of the animations are at clearly reduced framerates and look choppy when you notice them (and it doesn't take that much to notice them).

Gameplay-wise I want them to remove the three-frame buffer and scale back on Crush Counters. Make it so that Critical Arts can actually drop hits like normal Supers if you don't land them correctly. Bring back some one-frame links but don't go overboard on them or plinking (something SF4 messed up on IMO). Bring back the flexibility of SFIII 3S's combo system. Keep no chip death but ONLY as a selectable ability that players can activate costing Super gauge. Idea there is, you'd need at least one Super gauge bar, you activate the ability and the available Super gauge depletes slowly but while so you can't be chip killed.

To balance that, they are unable to perform Critical Arts or EX attacks while the gauge depletes, and their normal attacks are slightly reduced in damage (say by 5%),but gain new evasive & defensive options as well as maybe a unique new attack or two or three that can alter the character's playstyle some. One of these can also be an unblockable, for example.

You could throw other features like rolls and parries in there but the difference vs. SFV here would be that these unique attacks & abilities aren't locked to the character, they can select them like equipping a loadout in an RPG to a limited number of slots, in what mixture they'd like. So this way you can bring back SFV features in a sense, as well as some features (at least in concept) similar to SF3, Capcom vs. SNK 2, etc.

Oh, and for all that is good please do a bigger and better Cinematic Story Mode. I know people are saying it doesn't matter but if Mortal Kombat and Injustice can do stuff like that, why can't Street Fighter? Make the character stories interesting and tie them together in a big storyline, it helps with casuals liking the games more and benefits new characters too. Plus it's content that non-pros can enjoy without dumbing down the game mechanics in a way that upsets skilled players.

kyoji

SFV artstyle is great tbh, dunno why the hate. Yeah they can scale back the size of the hands and feet now but other than that I love the physique on the fighters especially the females. Best looking ladies in a fighting game who actually look like they can kick some ass (and look sexy doing it).

kvj8n72svzh11.jpg

If they go to a cel-shaded look they'll lose all of that muscular definition and that'll feel like a regression IMO but yeah, they can definitely make the hands and feet more normal proportioned. And also make the hair physics better, way too much clipping in V with that. Also make the backgrounds better from a technical POV; not only can't some be played in tourney but a lot of the animations are at clearly reduced framerates and look choppy when you notice them (and it doesn't take that much to notice them).

Gameplay-wise I want them to remove the three-frame buffer and scale back on Crush Counters. Make it so that Critical Arts can actually drop hits like normal Supers if you don't land them correctly. Bring back some one-frame links but don't go overboard on them or plinking (something SF4 messed up on IMO). Bring back the flexibility of SFIII 3S's combo system. Keep no chip death but ONLY as a selectable ability that players can activate costing Super gauge. Idea there is, you'd need at least one Super gauge bar, you activate the ability and the available Super gauge depletes slowly but while so you can't be chip killed.

To balance that, they are unable to perform Critical Arts or EX attacks while the gauge depletes, and their normal attacks are slightly reduced in damage (say by 5%),but gain new evasive & defensive options as well as maybe a unique new attack or two or three that can alter the character's playstyle some. One of these can also be an unblockable, for example.

You could throw other features like rolls and parries in there but the difference vs. SFV here would be that these unique attacks & abilities aren't locked to the character, they can select them like equipping a loadout in an RPG to a limited number of slots, in what mixture they'd like. So this way you can bring back SFV features in a sense, as well as some features (at least in concept) similar to SF3, Capcom vs. SNK 2, etc.

Oh, and for all that is good please do a bigger and better Cinematic Story Mode. I know people are saying it doesn't matter but if Mortal Kombat and Injustice can do stuff like that, why can't Street Fighter? Make the character stories interesting and tie them together in a big storyline, it helps with casuals liking the games more and benefits new characters too. Plus it's content that non-pros can enjoy without dumbing down the game mechanics in a way that upsets skilled players.
The hands and feet were made that size for the players to see better according to the developers

Knightime_X

Wish it would play closer to super sf2 turbo hd remix BUT with lots of mechanics for defense like those found in kof14.
And ffs PUSH BLOCK
Need to bring back sf alpha 3 guard break system.

Too many turtles

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Prediction: It's gonna suck ass. Why? Because it will be entirely developed on the premise of "monetization", "accesibility", "microtransactions". It's gonna suck as much as Street Fighter V. I used to like watching SF4, but SFV is so fucking boring, I've often used it to fall asleep when I had mild insomnia (no joke. 5 to 10 minutes of watching a SFV match literally put me to sleep).

Mabdia

1 - A decent roster of fighters. Both in quality and quantity. The 16 characters that Sucks on original release of (SF5) the game really sucks. How about approach the characters and DLC as Namco, with Tekken and SoulCalibur 6? A really vast initial roster with a really interesting DLCs. Damn! Even Tecmo Koei did better with this with DOA6.

2 - No In Game Update. It really sucks open a game to have to wait a almost a year to update every time you open it!

3 - A gameplay more closer to Alpha Series. Man Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3 was just amazing. But the recent SF just sucks to play. You have to spend every time you have to play it decently. It's not everyone that is a Pro Player who can spend 8 ours a day to do training in a single game. The possibility to have 2 kinds of super moves at once. This thing where you choose 1 or another just sucks. Also, super bar that let me use just one bar for a weaker super move based in weak, medium or strong punch or kick.

4 - How about give to players a least 3 options of outfit for each character without asking them for a credit card? And at least 3 colors for each outfit. Again, even Tecmo Koei did it better than Capcom!

If they go to a cel-shaded look they'll lose all of that muscular definition and that'll feel like a regression IMO but yeah, they can definitely make the hands and feet more normal proportioned.

Man... Cel shaded would be awesome. Even today MVC3 really is a beautiful game.

a41cc9e7836efa1770a4adf85d338fd2.jpg

Last edited:
I expect or want full cel-shading like Gulity Gear. They have done two sequels with a similar 3D + fake shading art style and it is a bit tiring in my opinion.
At least make the SF6 in-game graphics as good as SFV's cinematics, that is what I hope for.

Last edited:

EDMIX

kvj8n72svzh11.jpg

I like how the person who doesn't have an issue with how they look is called Thicc Girls Are The Best lol

Lolz aside, I agree. I think the art style is just fine and suits SF.

Banned
I really hope SF5 will not be used as the basis for the new game... I loved Super SF4 and Ultra SF4 to death, but SF5 is just so... boring... so meh... it feels so much worse than SF4 too

If I could wish for how SF6 will be, I would make it exactly like Third Strike in terms of mechanics, but with Guilty Gear like graphics

Last edited:

kyoji

man, i need sf6 to be like 4....5 was so shit....it was just not fun to do combos...4 was legit the most fun i ever had in a fighting game...and 4 super was incredible.

I really hope SF5 will not be used as the basis for the new game... I loved Super SF4 and Ultra SF4 to death, but SF5 is just so... boring... so meh... it feels so much worse than SF4 too

If I could wish for how SF6 will be, I would make it exactly like Third Strike in terms of mechanics, but with Guilty Gear like graphics
You guys are crazy and obviously havent played 5 in a while if ever, 5 is very fun especially right now with a full roster, great balanced cast and fleshed out mechanics, did people forget how long it took for iv to get to that state? Its the same with 5, iv was barebone af and got fleshed out over time.

Banned
You guys are crazy and obviously havent played 5 in a while if ever, 5 is very fun especially right now with a full roster, great balanced cast and fleshed out mechanics, did people forget how long it took for iv to get to that state? Its the same with 5, iv was barebone af and got fleshed out over time.

what changed since launch? I last played it when they added the second V Skills to characters, but still didn't like it.
the whole game just doesn't feel good to play to me, it's hard to describe, but SF4 just feels so much more responsive and dynamic.

kyoji

what changed since launch? I last played it when they added the second V Skills to characters, but still didn't like it.
the whole game just doesn't feel good to play to me, it's hard to describe, but SF4 just feels so much more responsive and dynamic.
Dude a shit ton are u kidding me lol, now is as good a time as ever to play, and every character is viable because of the game being so well balanced rn, ofc there are still bad matchups but everyone is relatively in a good spot to play/use, theres a new defensive option added to the game called v shift as well, which depending how good you are can be used offensively as well to punish with.

Last edited:

Banned
Dude a shit ton are u kidding me lol, now is as good a time as ever to play, and every character is viable because of the game being so well balanced rn, ofc there are still bad matchups but everyone is relatively in a good spot to play/use, theres a new defensive option added to the game called v shift as well, which depending how good you are can be used offensively as well to punish

I'll give it another shot when I have friends over the next time (maybe this weekend)
I played it at launch a lot and unlocked a few of the first characters they released I think, and then came back when the V Skill update hit, but I lost motivation fast.

SF4 I absolutely love, but I know that it wasn't always that good, I started to really play when Super SF4 Arcade Edition launched, and played a bit of the older versions here and there.
but SSF4AA imo is still among the best fighting games ever... I can't really speak for Ultra SF4 because I haven't played that nearly as much but it wasn't that different anyways.

The hands and feet were made that size for the players to see better according to the developers

Yeah that's true, but that was done back in the 2D days where resolutions were low, CRTs were the norm (adding natural blur to the image), and level of detail wasn't as much on consoles like SNES & MegaDrive, or even 2D hardware like the CPS2 arcade system (compared to real life for example). They did that design choice back then out of necessity.

Those factors aren't issues anymore. Resolution displays are insanely high and clear (as is color vibrancy, accuracy etc. in even lower-end displays), HD/UHD/QHD etc. have been norms for years (just reaching HD was big because it eventually allowed affordable displays capable of higher-than-480p resolution which most CRTs were stuck at due to technological limitations in mass-market CRT design), and 3D technology allows for insane levels of life-like detail. All of those make visual readability (the main reason they went with the big hands/feet choice in the first place) much better tech-wise than back in the '80s or '90s on CRTs.

As much as the big hands/big feet don't personally bother me, I can admit they are redundant nowadays. They can find other ways to convey strength through hands and feet without them being exaggerated in sheer size.

Man... Cel shaded would be awesome. Even today MVC3 really is a beautiful game.

a41cc9e7836efa1770a4adf85d338fd2.jpg

Okay, if they can do something like that 1st image and the sketch drawing then we can talk. Because when I see other people mention cel-shading they like to bring up Guilty Gear or DBZ. I like the look of those games but those styles aren't a good fit for Street Fighter IMHO.

Tho I still kinda think SFV could fit this style by just making the hands and feet smaller. TBH I'd love something between the following for SF6:

chun-li-legacy_street-fighter_gallery_5c4bdb81cc02a.jpg

This one more to show how this type of aesthetic could work with more realistic lighting and texture fidelity, kind of to give an idea of what a 9th-gen only Street Fighter could do in terms of cartoon/anime/real-life visual style mixture.

And if you want to try making the characters look a bit more "real" in visual style, at least use good inspiration:

pixlr-20191213140636130-1314x740-1.jpg
I think to see a SF version like that, it won't be SFVI....

Yeah, they would either bring back Marvel vs. Capcom for that or Street Fighter Alpha. The VS. games in particular have always leaned into heavier anime-style aesthetics for inspiration than the mainline Street Fighter series.

Well, maybe that isn't the best way to put it. Maybe to say the VS. games are more Masami Obari while the mainline games are more Hiroyuki Okiura

A953-12.jpg

SFA/VS Series style

MV5BM2NkOTg4M2UtYjZmYS00NWIxLTliYjQtNzVjMzk2ZTJmY2IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc3OTE4Nzk@._V1_.jpg

SF Mainline Series style

kyoji

I'll give it another shot when I have friends over the next time (maybe this weekend)
I played it at launch a lot and unlocked a few of the first characters they released I think, and then came back when the V Skill update hit, but I lost motivation fast.

SF4 I absolutely love, but I know that it wasn't always that good, I started to really play when Super SF4 Arcade Edition launched, and played a bit of the older versions here and there.
but SSF4AA imo is still among the best fighting games ever... I can't really speak for Ultra SF4 because I haven't played that nearly as much but it wasn't that different anyways.
If you havent plyed since season 1 or 2 you wont recognize the game really, combo routes, frame data, etc all have changed along with new mechanics + characters

Hoppa

I like the SFV art style but the SF series always switches it up so idk.. I'd love to have sprites again. Just have the 3rd Strike roster and abort all plans to have Luke come back and I'm good

MagnesD3

What I really want from SF6 are a few things that are all possible.

First we have to have a great online experience, this is pertinent to a fighter being really successful nowadays and I think it's time.

Second the roster needs to cover alot of bases, a non biased mix of popular sf2, sf3, alpha, sf4, sfv, dormant older fighters and impressive newcomers. Base roster needs to be around 20-25 imo

And third I want the new core gameplay hook to have alot of variety between characters and things you can do with it. One of v guages main problems was its lack of diverse options to allow players freedom of expression, this needs to change, to make the game less stagnant to play and watch.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I hope to be closer to SF4 as possible. The only SF so far interested me(aside from Alpha 2) and is remarkably fun to play. And SF5 is just yuck.

OrochiJR

An announcement at the Game Awards would be ace, but only if we also get to see gameplay footage - No logo only or CGI video teaser please.

A multiplatform release with crossplay will help give the game legs.

What I am really looking for in SFVI would be a different artstyle than SFIV and V. Those games although not exactly the same, still looked very similar. I would like a new entry to either go full anime like Guilty Gear or try a more realistic approach like they originally planned for SFV. Change up the graphics like it happened between SF2, Alpha and 3.

MagnesD3

Hot Take: IV was a POS which was romanticized by the come back of the FGC since they had nothing else to play. Indestructible my ass.
I think sf4 and sf5 are both good but flawed games, things like wake up dp fadc, yolo Ultra, characters etc. sucked for 4 and the lack of creative expression, and lack of defensive options hurt 5.
I prefer 5 because it's more offensive oriented but I agree that it needed more major changes like vshift/vshift break to really make it as good as it could have been.

KAL2006

Banned
I guess I'm in the minority I loved SF5 gameplay and art style

Gameplay was great it felt like a mix of SF2 and SFA. I like the V Trigger system where each character is more unique instead of sharing a universal mechanic like FADC.

Art style was great as well as animation apart from some clipping issues and Ken's banana hair.

The only things that being this game down is the long load times and bad online play.

kyoji

I guess I'm in the minority I loved SF5 gameplay and art style

Gameplay was great it felt like a mix of SF2 and SFA. I like the V Trigger system where each character is more unique instead of sharing a universal mechanic like FADC.

Art style was great as well as animation apart from some clipping issues and Ken's banana hair.

The only things that being this game down is the long load times and bad online play.
Youre not in the minority alot of people play sf v actively and the scene is still big, this thread is full of casuals

Kokoloko85

Please have make the art style not like SF5 or 4.
Maybe Street Fighter 6 or Alpha 4 with the art style of something like King of Fighters 13.

Last edited:
Top Bottom