• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Summer Update 2021 online event

yurinka

i really want sf6 but does that mean we will probably go back to having 16 characters at launch?
Yoshinori Ono said Capcom knew they fucked it up with SFV launch and that in addition to fix what possible in SFV, they didn't want to repeat that messy launch with weak content and many issues in the next SF.

So pretty likely SF6 launch will have at launch way more characters and way more game modes than SFV had at launch.

Last edited:
So pretty likely SF6 launch will have at launch way more characters and way more game modes than SFV had at launch.
We know there will be Super and Ultra versions so if they mirror SF4 (console version) it should be about 25 characters for SF6, 35 for SSF6 and 45 for USF6.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
i really want sf6 but does that mean we will probably go back to having 16 characters at launch?

Why is this a bad thing? I would rather have a well rounded smaller set of playable characters, each with their unique playstyle than an absurd amount of characters, numerous of which are barely differing clones of each other.

yurinka

We know there will be Super and Ultra versions so if they mirror SF4 (console version) it should be about 25 characters for SF6, 35 for SSF6 and 45 for USF6.
The Super and Ultra names are placeholder names, SFV series also had them for what later became SFVAE and SFVCE.

Very likely they will continue with SF6 the same GaaS approach we saw in SFV and most fighting games this generation. So these Super and Ultra editions are going to be pretty likely bundles of the original vanilla game + DLC packs, as SFVAE and SFVCE were.

We don't know the amount of characters to be included in each version, but we know Yoshinori Ono acknowledged that to release SFV with only 16 characters, only a few game modes and tech issues was a big mistake. So it's fair to assume that they will start with a bigger amount of characters.

In fact, I'd prefer them to do as other games like Smash do: I'd start SF6 with the 45 characters SFV already has plus a few new and returning ones more on top, with updated visuals, gameplay and game mechanics and I'd start building from that. So I'd start the game with 50 characters and would end with 80 (6 seasons, 5 chars and 5 stages per season). Many returning ones would be updated versions from 3D games like SFIV or MvC to make easier to rehash them.

Why is this a bad thing? I would rather have a well rounded smaller set of playable characters, each with their unique playstyle than an absurd amount of characters, numerous of which are barely differing clones of each other.
Because for most players isn't enough content. A huge amont of people complained about it when SFV and previous SF games released with this or less amount of characters. The most successful games like Smash Ultimate, MK11 or Tekken 8 start with way more characters.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The Super and Ultra names are placeholder names, SFV series also had them for what later became SFVAE and SFVCE.

Very likely they will continue with SF6 the same GaaS approach we saw in SFV and most fighting games this generation. So these Super and Ultra editions are going to be pretty likely bundles of the original vanilla game + DLC packs, as SFVAE and SFVCE were.

We don't know the amount of characters to be included in each version, but we know Yoshinori Ono acknowledged that to release SFV with only 16 characters, only a few game modes and tech issues was a big mistake. So it's fair to assume that they will start with a bigger amount of characters.

In fact, I'd prefer them to do as other games like Smash do: I'd start SF6 with the 45 characters SFV already has plus a few new and returning ones more on top, with updated visuals, gameplay and game mechanics and I'd start building from that. So I'd start the game with 50 characters and would end with 80 (6 seasons, 5 chars and 5 stages per season). Many returning ones would be updated versions from 3D games like SFIV or MvC to make easier to rehash them.

Because for most players isn't enough content. A huge amont of people complained about it when SFV and previous SF games released with this or less amount of characters. The most successful games like Smash Ultimate, MK11 or Tekken 8 start with way more characters.

MK11 and Tekken 7 (which is what I assume you meant intead of 8) were also heavily criticized for its lackluster roster having too many clone characters that barely differentiated themselves. Same with Soul Calibur VI, Injustice 2, MKX, MK9, etc.

Yet we also see with games like Skull Girls, Guity Gear, and more that smaller rosters that are supplemented with unique DLC characters, tend to do better and are more well liked early on and maintain their popularity.

Hell, most folks agree that SFV was a shit title and didn't really start getting interesting until a number of DLC seasons in when we started to get more unique, varied, and interesting characters alongside the complete overhaul and introduction of numerous V Skills.

Also "most people" like titles like Fortnite, Apex, and Madden. "most people" are stupid.

Last edited:

yurinka

MK11 and Tekken 7 (which is what I assume you meant intead of 8) were also heavily criticized for its lackluster roster having too many clone characters that barely differentiated themselves. Same with Soul Calibur VI, Injustice 2, MKX, MK9, etc.

Yet we also see with games like Skull Girls, Guity Gear, and more that smaller rosters that are supplemented with unique DLC characters, tend to do better and are more well liked early on and maintain their popularity.

Hell, most folks agree that SFV was a shit title and didn't really start getting interesting until a number of DLC seasons in when we started to get more unique, varied, and interesting characters alongside the complete overhaul and introduction of numerous V Skills.

Also "most people" like titles like Fortnite, Apex, and Madden. "most people" are stupid.
A few people may have complained in game forums, but Smash Ultimate sold over 24M units, MK11 sold over 12M units, Tekken 7 sold over 7M units.

SFV had awful sales at the start, but as they kept adding a ton of characters and additional game modes, particularly single player ones, its sales improved and now is in 5.5M (in a few days Capcom will update their numbers for this quarter).

All the other fighting games (with Dragon Ball and Injustice as exceptions) like Sould Calibur, Skull Girls, Guilty Gear have way smaller sales, very far from 5M.

So yes, most people prefer games with big rosters and big IPs. And yes, there's more people who prefers games over Fortnite than fighting games. And if you think people is stupid for not sharing your gaming tastes, you're the stupid one.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

VT2 , VS2 and more juggle/combo options added alot to SFV . Launch SFV was so empty that there's no distinctive playstyle from the same character with different players .

I'd start SF6 with the 45 characters SFV already has plus a few new and returning ones more on top, with updated visuals, gameplay and game mechanics and I'd start building from that. So I'd start the game with 50 characters and would end with 80 (6 seasons, 5 chars and 5 stages per season).
That'd be great but I really don't see that happening.

KAL2006

Banned
Honestly I think anything less than 22 characters is too low. Street Fighter V got interesting after the first DLC Season which put the roster at 22.

I wouldn't even mind if Street Fighter VI went the reuse asset route and have all Street Fighter V characters return with an additional 10 characters for a massive roster. This is the first time in history Capcom won't be reusing assets to make a game with a large roster. Street Fighter Alpha assets were reused for VS games. 4 assets were reused for SFxT. Even MvC3 assets were reused for MvCI.

Street Fighter V still looks good to me, maybe touch the models up more, improve the hair, and have it running in 4K it would look great.

yurinka

That'd be great but I really don't see that happening.
Yep, I agree. I'd love to see it but sadly it won't happen.

Honestly I think anything less than 22 characters is too low. Street Fighter V got interesting after the first DLC Season which put the roster at 22.

I wouldn't even mind if Street Fighter VI went the reuse asset route and have all Street Fighter V characters return with an additional 10 characters for a massive roster. This is the first time in history Capcom won't be reusing assets to make a game with a large roster. Street Fighter Alpha assets were reused for VS games. 4 assets were reused for SFxT. Even MvC3 assets were reused for MvCI.

Street Fighter V still looks good to me, maybe touch the models up more, improve the hair, and have it running in 4K it would look great.
We don't know if SF6 will reuse stuff and we don't know if SF6 will start with a large roster or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom