• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVV| Arcade Edition - The Golden Warrior

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
All the stuff revealed in the latest blog post:

Pejo

All the stuff revealed in the latest blog post:
Oro's CA animation looks too...soft? Bouncy? I was really hoping they'd do something crazy with it but it looks like he's just tossing a big red pillow at them.

Otherwise, cool stuff. I certainly wouldn't have picked who they did for the last DLC slot, but what do I know, I guess. I wanted Oni.

bender

What time is it?
I wish 4 was on Switch.

Don't be greedy.

GIF4.gif

yurinka

Wow, she looks fun. I never played RS, is she a rekka character?
She has one rekka in rival schools, but SF5 has zero rekka characters, so I'm guessing they are going to change how that works; perhaps make it a v-skil property.
In SFV they try to make each character's gameplay unique, they try to differentiate them from each other. I always thought that the reason behind removing rekka movements from rekka characters was because they were going to include a character focused on rekkas.

With Akira I assume they will focus her on Rival School-esque gameplay to make here unique in the roster, but I think it's also possible that they may keep her rekka to make her more unique. And they may even give her another one, who knows.

P.S.: Karin has a rekka but only can be performed when a specific V-Trigger is activated, so it's very rare too see it.

I wish 4 was on Switch.
Sony and Capcom had a deal where Sony paid part of SFV development, put a lot of money for SFV eSports and paid and handled the USFIV PS4 port. In exchange USFIV would remain exclusive for them for that generation, and SFV series (including future potential additional iterations like SFVAE, SFVCE etc) would remain full console exclusive.

Nintendo later dediced to make a deal with them to get Ultra Street Fighter II, and after that SF 30th Anniversary Collection, Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle and (this one with a short Switch timed exclusive) Capcom Arcade Stadium were released everywhere. I highly suggest you to get SF30thAC and Capcom BUB if you don't have them.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Sony and Capcom had a deal where Sony paid part of SFV development, put a lot of money for SFV eSports and paid and handled the USFIV PS4 port. In exchange USFIV would remain exclusive for them for that generation, and SFV series (including future potential additional iterations like SFVAE, SFVCE etc) would remain full console exclusive.

Nintendo later dediced to make a deal with them to get Ultra Street Fighter II, and after that SF 30th Anniversary Collection, Capcom Beat'em Up Bundle and (this one with a short Switch timed exclusive) Capcom Arcade Stadium were released everywhere. I highly suggest you to get SF30thAC and Capcom BUB if you don't have them.

I have been thinking of getting the Collection, but I would be fine with just vanilla 4, and it is almost surprising they haven’t released it, given 4’s continued popularity in Japanese arcades and Capcom’s ability to handle an udder.

Btw, I am still bitter that the N64 never got any SF games.

yurinka

I have been thinking of getting the Collection, but I would be fine with just vanilla 4, and it is almost surprising they haven’t released it, given 4’s continued popularity in Japanese arcades and Capcom’s ability to handle an udder.

Btw, I am still bitter that the N64 never got any SF games.
Maybe vanilla SF4 is also included in the USFIV PS4 generation exlusive. So couldn't be ported to Switch or XBO, but in XBO can be played via BC and could be released on Switch 2 or whatever name the Switch's succesor may have, in addition to in Series X|S.

Last edited:

nbkicker

I give to charity every month for last 5yrs since my dad died of cancer, but i just wish they had made the costumes decent, these look rubbish to me

Mess

I give to charity every month for last 5yrs since my dad died of cancer, but i just wish they had made the costumes decent, these look rubbish to me

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm not fond of these costumes -at all- and play neither Ryu nor Chun but bought it for me and some friends both to support the charity and to show interest in a game I love.

yurinka

Nice, can't wait to wait the event and hopefully to see Luke getting released that same day. It's Tuesday and was supposed to be released in November so it fits.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
He doesn't seem to play like Akuma, what makes you think that?
Lots of forward moving pressure, fast and far reaching crush counters, counter for laying traps, vtrigger allowing long confirms/chains.

No he's not literally akuma of course, but it doesn't seem like an akuma player would have a difficult time switching to him.

yurinka

I don't like his tatoos, but other than that he seems a cool character. My theory: his father is Joe from SF1.

His father:
image.png

SF1 design
sf1h_01.jpg

image.png

Notice that in Joe's redesign for the SFV lore website features Luke's star in the belt, pretty likely they did reuse this design or did use it as base for Luke:
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/112444?lang=en
joe.jpg

Some of his moves like the crush counters seem similar to some of Joe's attacks. His necklace dog tags and American flag-like tatoos remind of Guile, who we see he's somewhat related to: maybe Guile is his mentor/master/boss in the army or something like that.

So for the post SF3 future in SF6 we could have a solid roster of 20 'next generation of world warriors':
-Sakura (Ryu's fan/disciple/younger and female version of Ryu)
-Karin (if Sakura is a younger and female Ryu, Karin is her blonde rival/friend, her 'Ken')
-Akira (Sakura's schoolmate)
-Sean (Ken's disciple)
-Laura (boobz)
-Luke (Joe's son + Guile's disciple?)
-R.Mika (Zangief's fan/disciple)
-Menat (Rose's disciple)
-Ed (part of Bison's next reincanation, trained/mentored by Balrog)
-Falke (part of Bison's next reincanation)
-Neoshadaloo's smart gorilla (part of Bison's next reincanation)
-Neoshadaloo's guy with a cool hat (part of Bison's next reincanation)
-Alex (SF3 young cast)
-Ibuki (SF3 young cast)
-Elena (SF3 young cast, wasn't in SFV)
-Yun & Yang (SF3 young cast, weren't in SFV)
-Makoto (SF3 young cast, weren't in SFV)
-Remy (SF3 young cast, weren't in SFV)
-Thirteen (We had Twelve in SF3, Eleven in SFV, so if SF6 happens after SF3 then I assume we'll get Thirteen)

Add a handful of young newcomers (probably Geki II for a traditional ninja and someone to represent Australia and some new Latin American country, maybe Dominican Republic due to the great players from there) and a good amount of older fan favorites from SFV, USFIV and 3rd Strike.

Regarding to make older versions of the classic characters, if 3rd Strike events are supposed to happen in 1999 and SF6 is set just after it and SFV, as the game director hinted, we're talking about maybe the year 2000. So Chun is supposed to be there 33 years old, Ryu 36, Ken 35 and Dhalsim 48 (the oldest one with a known birthdate other than Haggar, who would be 57). So no need to make older versions of them, they would be only like a maybe a year older than in SFV or SF3 3rd Strike.

Last edited:
I don't like his tatoos, but other than that he seems a cool character. My theory: his father is Joe from SF1.

His father:
image.png

SF1 design
sf1h_01.jpg

image.png

Notice that in Joe's redesign for the SFV lore website features Luke's star in the belt, pretty likely they did reuse this design or did use it as base for Luke:
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/112444?lang=en
joe.jpg

Some of his moves like the crush counters seem similar to some of Joe's attacks. His necklace dog tags and American flag-like tatoos remind of Guile, who we see he's somewhat related to: maybe Guile is his mentor/master/boss in the army or something like that.
They did say he was going to pay tribute to the past as well as be a part of the future, so it's likely.

Lots of forward moving pressure, fast and far reaching crush counters, counter for laying traps, vtrigger allowing long confirms/chains.

No he's not literally akuma of course, but it doesn't seem like an akuma player would have a difficult time switching to him.
Honestly, I thought you meant he was for degenerate players lol

Last edited:
Anyone answer the poll for feedback on the game/presentation? Here were my closing thoughts:

For SF6 PLEASE move past SF3 timeline-wise, it's time to move the series' story forward. Please do another big Cinematic Story Mode to tie all the character stories together, if MK can do it then SF definitely can. Make sure Tournament Mode is online-enabled from the start, have better music (more Jungle/Drum & Bass would be cool), please don't tone down sexiness of female (or male) characters make them even sexier, bring back more SF3 and EX chars, find a better artist for the story mode art who can hopefully also draw black people better. Don't dumb down game mechanics for n00bs, make sure online netcode is actually good!

Don't think anything in there's unreasonable.

Here's a link to the poll btw.

KAL2006

Banned
Honestly I hate the character design and dissapointed Luke will be returning in 6. Ed, Abel, Falke, Luke are some of the most garbage character designs and it seems like these characters are all setup with a story and likely in 6 which is a shame.

For me Rashid and Menat still are my favourite new characters

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Bengus is a good artist though, and whichever producer is in charge of that part of the game ok'ed the art he delivered.
So either this is the art style capcom wanted, or he was being lazy and they were somehow fine with it.

[Sigma]

I've watched all the Luke stuff up til this point. I'm just not seeing what Capcom wants me to see in him lol. I haven't played in almost 2 months now and I don't see myself downloading this again to play him. Last time I did play the game I did have fun tho because I thought Akira was pretty enjoyable to play and I would like her to return for SFVI even tho she will probably be a lot different in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

yurinka

Anyone answer the poll for feedback on the game/presentation? Here were my closing thoughts:

Here's a link to the poll btw.
Done
For SF6 PLEASE move past SF3 timeline-wise, it's time to move the series' story forward.
As I remember the game director confirmed parts of the SFV lore happens just before, during and just after SF3 (3rd Strike), and that hinted that the next events (SF6) would happen soon after it (SFV and SF3).

Rose's character ending hinted that in the future (I assume SF6) they will have some time travel stuff to rewrite events from the past. Which I assume would be an excuse to integrate in the game lore the retconing of the lore they do in almost every main SF entry and also to integrate in the SF6 story the different arcade mode paths they introduced with SFV.

Bengus is a good artist though, and whichever producer is in charge of that part of the game ok'ed the art he delivered.
So either this is the art style capcom wanted, or he was being lazy and they were somehow fine with it.
Looking at some of his promotional art, he is super talented even today, but I assume they didn't gave him enough time to draw the endings.

streetfighterv-arcade-edition-key-artwork-by-bengus.jpg

sfv-special-edition-poster-art-by-bengus.jpg

sfv-arcade-edition-bengus-art-2018.png

sfv-arcade-edition-poster-art-by-bengus.jpg

sfv-bengus-story-artwork.jpg

sfv-ladies-poster-by-bengus.jpg

Last edited:

Not saying he isn't good, but his heyday seems like it's behind him. His SF2/90s-era stuff was a lot better:

Super_X_Gouki.jpg

d802bfb2b5f4234e92713b155293f6d9.jpg

9c71a1db2fc3cebe91a61e30a8d8c12531f54647.png

Altho I do like his coloring/shading style I prefer the type of proportions and exaggeration he had with his '90s art. Now some of this is down to a traditional/digital preference on my part, but I did prefer the "grit" his traditional work had in part thanks to the medium used itself, which is very difficult to recreate in an organic-like way (in some cases at all) digitally.

Plus as you can see above, he actually could draw black people well back then. Here's how he used to draw Balrog for example:

sf2_10.jpg

Where, you can tell yeah he's based off Mike Tyson but in a way that actually makes sense. The Balrog art in SFV seems like Bengus's been watching a diet of old racist '30s Looney Tunes cartoons for five years. I get they might want to make Balrog the tough guy buffoon or whatever but even if they want to do the octopus lips thing (which is something in other Japanese art but in those cases to "babyfy" or "cutify" a char, a la Gally in the Battle Angel series) there's other ways they can do that without leaning on a racial stereotype.

Like if they bring Dudley back and give him the same lips then there's gonna a few eyebrows from me considering he's never been drawn that way in the past. All the same tho I'm not gonna get anal about it like folks on a certain other forum have been, or use it as a proxy to attack other character designs.

Done

As I remember the game director confirmed parts of the SFV lore happens just before, during and just after SF3 (3rd Strike), and that hinted that the next events (SF6) would happen soon after it (SFV and SF3).

Rose's character ending hinted that in the future (I assume SF6) they will have some time travel stuff to rewrite events from the past. Which I assume would be an excuse to integrate in the game lore the retconing of the lore they do in almost every main SF entry and also to integrate in the SF6 story the different arcade mode paths they introduced with SFV.

Well, hopefully they don't make the story too much of a spaghetti mess with plot holes and contradictions ala what Marvel's doing ATM with Phase 4. Also, hopefully it doesn't lead to any multiverse shenanigans.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The change in his artstyle pretty much slowly happened with mvc2; you can see how his art became more "expressive" and "dynamic" around that time. This is probably the style he wanted ultimately, and it's pretty difficult to combine with the previous "grit" style.

The stuff for SF5 story mode are just sloppy.

The change in his artstyle pretty much slowly happened with mvc2; you can see how his art became more "expressive" and "dynamic" around that time. This is probably the style he wanted ultimately, and it's pretty difficult to combine with the previous "grit" style.

The stuff for SF5 story mode are just sloppy.

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with more expression and I can see what you're talking about when it comes to the transition, looking at some MvC2 art now, but I still prefer that his use of colors was more "grounded" there, thanks in part to the textures of the pencils, pens and whatever paper (likely Bristol paper or board, light gsm/lbs sketching paper hell maybe even printer paper) he used plus scanner settings.

Also just noticing this now, but it could again have something to do with lighting; he goes for a lot more dramatic lighting now whereas his older stuff used more natural lighting or soft-white lighting as the source, helped colors and tones come off more as you'd expect to see them outdoors on a good sunny day. He used more earthly tones (Yellow Ochres for grounding, Burnt Sienne, Raw Umber) to ground his glazes which themselves were saturated and relied on a lot of use of primary colors. And if you look, his highlights were actually subdued compared to what they are now; lower values.

His new stuff uses less earthly tones for grounding (maybe some shade of a pale green? I think it's used in some Italian techniques of classical painting) and a lot of pastel tones with emphasis on secondary and tertiary colors. Plus more of that "hero lighting" (everyone's been using that since that Horizon: Forbidden West gameplay footage) being emphasized.

So it's just down to more of a preference I suppose but I prefer his '90s (mainly SFA-onward) and 2000s'-era stuff more than the SFV art, for sure. Then again, I prefer the look of a lot of '90s anime (especially certain OVAs and films) over most modern-day anime, especially when it comes to background artwork, but certainly the aesthetic overall. I understand if a lot of other folks prefer the newer stuff stylistically, though.

Tho for real Bengus, please re-learn how to draw black characters particularly Balrog :LOL:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Done

Looking at some of his promotional art, he is super talented even today, but I assume they didn't gave him enough time to draw the endings.

streetfighterv-arcade-edition-key-artwork-by-bengus.jpg

sfv-special-edition-poster-art-by-bengus.jpg

sfv-arcade-edition-bengus-art-2018.png

sfv-arcade-edition-poster-art-by-bengus.jpg

sfv-bengus-story-artwork.jpg

sfv-ladies-poster-by-bengus.jpg

I would kill to have this art style be the art direction of SF6. I *really* hate the look and design of characters in 4 and 5. They look fucking awful.

Go to this, make it a beautiful 2D or Guilty Gear esque design. Hell go back to beautiful sprite work of 3. Just don't do 4/5 again.

I would kill to have this art style be the art direction of SF6. I *really* hate the look and design of characters in 4 and 5. They look fucking awful.

Go to this, make it a beautiful 2D or Guilty Gear esque design. Hell go back to beautiful sprite work of 3. Just don't do 4/5 again.

If that were to be SF6's artstyle I'd drop the game in a heartbeat. So weird that people trash 5's artstyle when the staff have said they were inspired by the SF3 series to pattern the aesthetic, similar to how they leaned on SFII-era artstyle for SF4.

I thought people said they loved SF3? Guess they lied :LOL: .

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Don't understand this incessant need for every fighting game to look like guilty gear now, there is a place for all art styles, each comes with their own pros and cons and one is not necessarily better than the other.
The GG style would like nice for a game like tatsunoko vs capcom, but there's no need for a mainline SF game to look that way; SF5 looks fine.

Last edited:
SF6 better in RE Engine with realistic skin but keep the huge proportions,that is the true way forward

The hands seen there are exactly the size they should go in-game for SF6; hands and feet can be scaled to normal size because the limitations of (relative to hardware power) 2D graphics and natural fuzzy soft blur of CRTs aren't factors anymore.

When you had a limited color palette it helped to make certain aspects of the design larger than normal for readability purposes but we have more than enough sharpness in resolution, geometry capabilities, and texturing resolutions on modern 3D-orientated systems that the readability issues with 2D graphics and CRTs of the late '80s/'90s just don't exist anymore.

I'm looking forward to, Luke. Looks fun.

He looks okay. He's what Ed should've been back in Season 2. A lot of his moves seem cribbed from other cast members tho; Ed, Balrog, Urien, Ryu (or more like SF3 Sean in terms of his Shoryuken, better than Sean's useless 3S one at least) etc. He does look like a pretty strong character tho, may become a pocket for some players still using a shoto as their main.

His design has grown on me some but parts still seem over-emphasized; have mentioned before that readability cues in terms of large hands/feet are redundant now, but the best SF designs tend to stay relatively simple and don't have a ton of ornate details on them. The tattoos on Luke are too busy IMO; keep the large one on his left shoulder but get rid of the rest. He seems a lot more arms-orientated so maybe exaggerate his gloves a bit more or his forearms in some way and de-emphasize his shorts some, stuff like that.

Design-wise the best new character is still probably Zeku, followed by Rashid, Menat and Laura. Lucia, Abigail etc. aren't technically "new" chars they were already in Final Fight and their designs in the game come from that series but they were adapted pretty well. Fang's design is pretty good, too, actually. G is probably the worst of the new characters visuals-wise. Falke and Ed are decent but not great, at least in terms of default looks.

Luke right now is somewhere between Laura and Fang for me.

Last edited:

yurinka

Don't understand this incessant need for every fighting game to look like guilty gear now,
The art style of the 2D Street Fighter games were inspired by anime, so would be a great idea to use anime-like art style to stay true to the series and to keep its own style. Gulty Gear is the best adaptation of the anime looks to polygonal games, so it's normal to ask something like that, but not specifically its own artstyle (I assume what people wants is the art style of SF3, SF Alpha, SFII gameplay and artworks) but regarding how well do they represent anime visuals in a polygonal fightins game.

There's no need to make SF look realistic because there's already MK or Tekken with that art style. One of the thing that makes SF (or well, Capcom fighting games in general) work that well in terms of gameplay is their special art style regarding anatomy: bigger hands and feet plus the shape of the muscles in legs and arms improves the readibility of the battle. So SF with a realistic artstyle would feel off.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If that were to be SF6's artstyle I'd drop the game in a heartbeat. So weird that people trash 5's artstyle when the staff have said they were inspired by the SF3 series to pattern the aesthetic, similar to how they leaned on SFII-era artstyle for SF4.

I thought people said they loved SF3? Guess they lied :LOL: .

Inspired by means nothing. The art direction looks *nothing* alike to 3. Anyone with eyes can see that. Same thing for SF4 and SF2.

Top Bottom