• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVV| Arcade Edition - The Golden Warrior

Hotspurr

Banned
Well after reading a bit more, seems the general sentiment is that things are improved, and they could potentially be improved further, seeing as Ono requested feedback (which is not something he typically does).
They did patch out the ability of PC players to mod the netcode, so that's good, as it won't fragment the community anymore.
The new netcode checks desyncs more often and fixes them. People are reporting that even 3 bar connections are playable now, and 5 bar connections feel perfect.
The patch seems to have been inspired by Altimore's mod, so Capcom did *something*, though it's unclear whether it was a copy/paste or they actually found a path to improve things further with time.

Edit: will now test myself, and perhaps buy CE if things look good :)
Edi2: after some testing it seems better, player pool also got bigger. I can actually play 3 bar connection now and it's not a teleport fest

Last edited:
It's pretty ridiculous. I was going through reddit and twitter and seems that's the case, though it's a little early, I would wait a little more.
But, just the other day I was chatting with people on reddit and we were laughing about how the worst thing Capcom could do is just patch the PC version to prevent any netcode fixes.
If this is true, this is probably the biggest dick move ever hahaha...glad I didn't get the CE, they won't see another cent from me. Can't say this was unexpected.

And they want to run qualifiers and online tournaments for the CPT on this netcode, that's some mind-blowing insanity right there. I'd love for Ono and the crew to come to America for a day and play the game online, maybe then they'd understand why there's so many complaints.

EDIT: Reading some of the newer posts seems like it's at least a notable improvement over the past netcode so maybe they actually did fix things up? I hope so; people playing for CPT online who aren't in Japan or South Korea shouldn't have to worry about bad netcode potentially screwing them out of a ranking.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'll just wait for the all-on-disc edition as I've owned it digitally since launch.

Really loving the legs this game has. Can't believe it has been four years already, my fellow world warriors.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
They could release an all unlocked disc version eventually, but it will have to be after the final update to the game; don't expect it until after they've completely moved on to sf6.

yurinka

After some research, datamining and some experiments made by ToolAssisted and watching impressions by dozens of player, with the new game update the game does:
-Implements the 2 changes that Altimor patch added: checks the ping between players every frame and resyncs every second instead of once per round, and the maximum amount of frames that a player can be ahead of the other now it's proportional to the ping between them, instead always 15 frames as it was before.
-Blocks the current and future fan-made netcode mods that were made modifything the netcode .dll fies. So people won't be fragmented and there won't be artificial lag hacks/cheats.
-Now the netcode is handled in the game's .exe file so no more future netcode fan-made hacks/mods. If you modiffy the .exe you are at risk of being banned.
-So, since all players playing online now have the same netcode (including PS4 players) this netcode doesn't have the issues that the fan-made netcode mods created when a patched player was playing against an unpatched player.
-PS4 also received the patch, and seems to have received also some extra security stuff to avoid mods/hacks/cheats there in modded consoles, ~160MB in PS4 vs ~37MB in PC.
-Ono also asked to send feedback to @SFVServer on Twitter, so please be constructive about suggesting future possible improvements (I'd suggest to improve the method to asign the amount of -ping bars to each player to make it more reliable).

So this improves the overall experience for everybody, specially when players aren't in the opposite side of the world, both have decent connection/network configuration in the same way any other good netcode. But obvioiusly doesn't do miracles so it won't fix an awful wifi, a broken, unshielded cable, a router with bad NAT and the ports not open/DMZ, and won't perform properly if while playing you have a computer downloading torrents, Windows Update or mobile apps from a device connected to your router. So now the experience must be way better, with a bad match from time to time.

Last edited:

sn0man

They could release an all unlocked disc version eventually, but it will have to be after the final update to the game; don't expect it until after they've completely moved on to sf6.

I would totally be okay with this. Coming from the point of tournament play in 10 years nobody wants to have to deal with trying to play a definitive version unofficially.

heck I wish they’d upsell me the definitive disc now with an online code in the meantime.

fight on world warriors!

Nymphae

Banned

First off, it's stated outright that the Intel World Open operates outside of the Capcom Pro Tour and Street Fighter League. Placement at this program will have no effect on either of those two competitions.

Please note that online qualifiers can be played on either the PlayStation 4 or the PC. As for the "LAN events" (Katowice, Poland and Tokyo, Japan), they'll be played exclusively on PCs powered by Intel.

Strangely, there's actually no local area network mode in Street Fighter 5: Champion Edition. It's specifically stated that LAN events will use "dedicated Battle Lounge online lobbies as opposed to Versus Mode."

Even though these events will essentially be offline events, and is even stated to be "offline" in the Intel World Open Rulebook, it sounds like players will still play using Street Fighter 5: Champion Edition's online mode.

While the open qualifiers will be single elimination (no losers bracket), the closed qualifiers will be double elimination. The open qualifiers will take place from March 21 to May 10, the closed qualifiers on May 16-17, the event in Katowice, Poland on June 18-21, and finally the Intel World Open Finals in Tokyo, Japan on July 22-24.

Please note that all competing players must be over the age of 16 and that all players on a team must hail from the same country. Four top performing players (three competitors and one reserve) will form teams from 12 different territories — Brazil, China, Dominican Republic, France, Hong Kong (China), Korea, Russia, Singapore, Chinese Taipei, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

In addition, there will also be eight Regional Qualifiers that can also make it into the Live Qualifier for Katowice, Poland. Three players from North America, Central America, South America, Europe 1, Europe 2, Asia, Oceania, and Middle East & Africa will advance.

Note that Japan is being given an automatic spot for the Tokyo Finals. It's stated that this was done since Japan is the host country for the event.

That's weird about specifically stating for LAN events they will use online lobbies instead of vs mode, wonder why that would be.

Hotspurr

Banned
Glad I came back to this game after 3 years. I was expecting a bigger boost in the online population after the CE dropped, but oh well. I can still find matches every 20-30 seconds in either casual/ranked.
Not sure what they are planning to do with Street Fighter 6, if there is going to be one, perhaps introduce a bunch of new younger characters to usher in the next generation? I'm guessing SFV still has a good year left in it, maybe 1.5 years before 6. Really curious what they will do with 6 to differentiate it from 5, because as it stands the characters and the moves feel amazing, and the animation is top notch.

Going through the story mode again for some lore, I wish they took that side of it more seriously. Would have been nice to see another story mode for all the new characters they added. I hope they learned a lot from SFV and MvC:I to not release a broken or half baked game in the future. At the very least we know that the netcode will be good (I hear MvC:I was well done).

kunonabi

Glad I came back to this game after 3 years. I was expecting a bigger boost in the online population after the CE dropped, but oh well. I can still find matches every 20-30 seconds in either casual/ranked.
Not sure what they are planning to do with Street Fighter 6, if there is going to be one, perhaps introduce a bunch of new younger characters to usher in the next generation? I'm guessing SFV still has a good year left in it, maybe 1.5 years before 6. Really curious what they will do with 6 to differentiate it from 5, because as it stands the characters and the moves feel amazing, and the animation is top notch.

Going through the story mode again for some lore, I wish they took that side of it more seriously. Would have been nice to see another story mode for all the new characters they added. I hope they learned a lot from SFV and MvC:I to not release a broken or half baked game in the future. At the very least we know that the netcode will be good (I hear MvC:I was well done).

The netcode made things worse for a lot of people myself included.

I get way fewer matches with people in the U.S. and the quality of the connections reaches much deeper lows. It's basically unplayable for me like 70% of the time now.

Hotspurr

Banned
The netcode made things worse for a lot of people myself included.

I get way fewer matches with people in the U.S. and the quality of the connections reaches much deeper lows. It's basically unplayable for me like 70% of the time now.

Damn that sucks dude, PS4 or PC? Have you tried tweaking your router settings in (port forwarding?). By the way love the avatar pic.
I think CE may have been Capcom's sendoff to SFV, a deeply beautiful but flawed mess from the start.

kunonabi

Damn that sucks dude, PS4 or PC? Have you tried tweaking your router settings in (port forwarding?). By the way love the avatar pic.
I think CE may have been Capcom's sendoff to SFV, a deeply beautiful but flawed mess from the start.

PS4. Yeah I tried messing with that stuff and it didn't help much. My other online games work fine it's just SFV that's always been trouble.

yurinka

PS4. Yeah I tried messing with that stuff and it didn't help much. My other online games work fine it's just SFV that's always been trouble.
1) Wifi or wired?
2) What type and speed of connection do you have?
3) Did you try the stuff of setting a fixed IP for the console and activate DMZ in the router for it?
4) What is the distance between the PS4 and the router?
5) If wifi, base PS4, Slim or Pro?
6) If wifi, how many walls are between the console and the router?
7) If wifi, does your router support 802.11n or 802.11ac wifi?
8) If wired, are you using a shielded cat 6 cable or better?
9) If wired, does your router support gigalan or 10/100 only?
10) Are these other online games versus fighting games?

I think CE may have been Capcom's sendoff to SFV.
I think it isn't the case.

They have planned to release at least the Tournament Mode and seems that the CPT 2020 DLC too. Ono also said they don't plan to release new characters or gameplay rebalancing since the start of IWO until the end of it, so I assume it means they plan to release something related to that after it. He also mentioned at the EGX panel that he won't be able to mention that they are developing SFVI until at least the next edition or the next one of EGX if lucky, because they won't start developing SFVI until they see what the PS5 and its games can offer once released in order to design the game around some cool new next gen stuff they may have. He also mentioned at BGS panel that they supported SFIV series for '8 years -they were 7, was counting them as 'seasons') and that SFV was only entering its 5th year, said that they still had to release a lot of SFV and don't expect SFVI before that, 'don't hold your breath for SFVI'.

In addition to this, SFV was released almost exactly 7 years after SFIV, and both SFIV and SFV were released 2 years and 3 months after their PS console release. 7 years after SFV matches with 2 years and 3 months after PS5 release, so if they follow that pattern and match Ono's words, it's likely to expect SFVI to be released February 2023.

And when several characters, crossover costumes or stages that ended in the game over time were leaked, these leaks included more content. If not canceled (something pretty common in game development), they may be released later.

The most recent SFV Capcom eSports tournaments have been 3vs3 based (SFL or IWO), so maybe if the Capcom 2020 winner doesn't qualify it's because they plan to make Capcom Cup 2021 in 3vs3 team battles. Or maybe because they changed that rule in the same way they changed many other rules for CPT/Capcom Cup 2020 edition. That changed doesn't confirm that SFVI would be released next year as some mean, specially considering Ono's words I mentioned from recent months (BGS Q&A panel, EGX Q&A panel, post-EGX Eurogamer interview).

Last edited:

kunonabi

1) Wifi or wired?
3) Did you try the stuff of setting a fixed IP for the console and activate DMZ in the router for it?

I'm too lazy answer all this

Base ps4, Wired, max speed available from at&t, yes the other games include fighters.

Last edited:

Hotspurr

Banned
1) Wifi or wired?

I think it isn't the case.

They have planned to release at least the Tournament Mode and seems that the CPT 2020 DLC too. Ono also said they don't plan to release new characters or gameplay rebalancing since the start of IWO until the end of it, so I assume it means they plan to release something related to that after it. He also mentioned at the EGX panel that he won't be able to mention that they are developing SFVI until at least the next edition or the next one of EGX if lucky, because they won't start developing SFVI until they see what the PS5 and its games can offer once released in order to design the game around some cool new next gen stuff they may have. He also mentioned at BGS panel that they supported SFIV series for '8 years -they were 7, was counting them as 'seasons') and that SFV was only entering its 5th year, said that they still had to release a lot of SFV and don't expect SFVI before that, 'don't hold your breath for SFVI'.

In addition to this, SFV was released almost exactly 7 years after SFIV, and both SFIV and SFV were released 2 years and 3 months after their PS console release. 7 years after SFV matches with 2 years and 3 months after PS5 release, so if they follow that pattern and match Ono's words, it's likely to expect SFVI to be released February 2023.

And when several characters, crossover costumes or stages that ended in the game over time were leaked, these leaks included more content. If not canceled (something pretty common in game development), they may be released later.

The most recent SFV Capcom eSports tournaments have been 3vs3 based (SFL or IWO), so maybe if the Capcom 2020 winner doesn't qualify it's because they plan to make Capcom Cup 2021 in 3vs3 team battles. Or maybe because they changed that rule in the same way they changed many other rules for CPT/Capcom Cup 2020 edition. That changed doesn't confirm that SFVI would be released next year as some mean, specially considering Ono's words I mentioned from recent months (BGS Q&A panel, EGX Q&A panel, post-EGX Eurogamer interview).

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm glad my ignorance is proven wrong. I am really hopeful they keep supporting this thing because I'm putting in some serious hours and nerves haha...

Nymphae

Banned

Capcom's statement
Capcom has been closely monitoring news relating to the novel coronavirus outbreak, and we have decided to remove Brussels Challenge 2020, Norcal Regionals 2020, and April Annihilation 2020 from this year's Capcom Pro Tour.

The safety of our fans and players is our top priority. This decision in no way reflects upon the various tournament organizers.

Points allocated to these events will be removed from the pool. All points for the remaining schedule will stay intact.

We apologize if this decision inconveniences any of our players, community members, or production partners.

Capcom will continue to monitor the situation and will evaluate the need for additional schedule modifications as the situation evolves.

Check out this obviously "inspired" by R.Mika design from 2004 game 'Nitro Family' :D

giphy.gif

The game is supposedly very Serious Sam-esque.

Dante83

Banned
I am surprised they have not fixed the base ps4 version's momentary frame drops. It feels like a slight pause before resolving itself, and it happens in multiple stages. This happens offline as well, and messes up the combo timing. This has been a longstanding issue, and they never fixed it since the 2016 launch. It has been problematic, and this is the reason why people always choose the training stage online as it is the only stage that runs smooth. If capcom wants to discourage people from selecting training stage in tournaments for aesthetic reasons, then please fix the damn frame rate drops on the most played system(base ps4).

SALMORE

too bad , but look at the bright side
now companies won't have to wait till July to announce their secret projects ! am looking at you SNK 😉

Life

Some sort of online league/competition? Or Is that already in the works.....What else.......netcode? Nah.

Clarissa

Banned
I really hope there's netcode improvements and at least 2 more characters to close out the game before SF6.

I really want Viper and Rose.

yurinka

-Several hours before that they will release a game update, which is the delayed one from last month and planned to fix the connection bars that appear in the confirmation screen.
-Next week they start the Capcom Pro Tour Online, so maybe they mention something about it, or release some items from the CPT bundle, like the Laura (or Poison?) costume designed by the Capcom Cup 2019 winner iDom, or another cool ring stage.
-Now that CPT is going to start, they may also want to include some extra fixes, gameplay balance/fixes or netcode/matchmaking/tournament mode tweaks.
-Who knows, they may even open the tournament mode to allow us to create our own online tournaments.
-Sony announced a series of PS4 online tournaments with prize pools for several games, and included Blazblue, MK11 and Soulcalibur 6. Maybe SFV also joins the roster later but Capcom prefers the announce it themselves.

Last edited:

SALMORE

i kinda lost interest in the game after the Capcom Cup finals ! to the point that i don't care about who's they're going to add

Capcom has been pretty good on dropping vague clues, changing profile pics, etc for most character reveals, so it's doubtful we would get a new fighter. The online CPT event has already been revealed as well, so who knows what they will show. Could just be costumes, stages, maybe even a balance patch. That would be pretty sweet.

Fang will finally get his God tier poison in VT and wreck everyone.

A few bug fixes and a free Ex colour for all characters.

With the conclusion of the 5/26/2020 server maintenance,
Street Fighter V was updated to Ver. 05.031.

[Battle Adjustments]

Recoverable Damage When Hit

Fixed an issue with some moves that cause recoverable damage equivalent to chip damage when blocked,
where the amount of recoverable damage would be the same as that of a hit.

Changes to Dhalsim and Guile

In the last update, adjustments were made that extended hitboxes inward across the board.
This was intended to prevent characters from using actions like a forward step to get inside an opponent's attack's reach and avoid damage despite the close range.

However, this made it easier for some projectiles to hit opponents from behind, so the moves in question have been adjusted.
Check the following for further details of the adjustments:

- Fixed an issue where just the effect remains when EX Psycho Blast is canceled by Gill's Flame Javelin or Volcanic Storm.

- V-Trigger II Yoga Sansara has had the amount its hitbox extends inwards reduced.

- Fixed an issue where blocking some attacks with V-Skill II "Dual Poison Dance" would cause too much recoverable damage.

- Fixed an issue where after V-Skill II Overchain is performed, blocking an opponent's guard break technique with Sledgehammer
 would cause the effect of Overchain to be lost, even though no damage was received.

- Changed active attack frames of V-Skill I Sonic Blade's extended inward hitbox from 42F to 2F.
- Reduced the extended inward hitbox of Sonic Hurricane and changed the active attack frames of this part from 50F to 2F.

- Fixed an issue where Raid Jump would be performed if Surprise Foward/Surprise Back was input at a specific time after V-Skill I Coward Crouch.

- Changed the juggle behavior of the opponent when Spin Pendulum hits in the air, reducing instances in which a Cyclone Distaster follow-up would miss.
- Changed where the character appears when transitioning from the copied version of Air Stampede into Mad Spin, as well as the difference in recovery time on guard.

We have also made other minor fixes and improvements.

[Bug Fixes]

The following bugs have been fixed:

- The antenna display on the battle confirmation screen for ranked matches, casual matches, and the Battle Lounge shows a range that is one step slower than the actual response time.
- Even setting restrictions when creating a Battle Lounge shows a range that is one stage slower than the actual response time.
(This is a fix for the bug reported on 3/24. )

We are pleased that people are enjoying Champion Edition and would like to thank all of our players for their support. We wouldn't be here without you.
As a token of our gratitude, we released a free EX09 color for all 40 characters to all users.

Thank you for playing STREET FIGHTER V. We hope you'll continue to enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
lol so much for Champion Edition being a complete version

New characters, stages, costumes, and more are set to be added to the game.

In the Capcom Unity blog, it was announced that Street Fighter 5 will be seeing a final season. This Season "V" will add five new characters and three new stages.

"Due to the positive reception to Season 4 and Champion Edition, we are planning to do a final Season 'V', which will add 'V' more fighters to the roster," the blog states. "Three new stages are also being planned."

Im pretty shocked that SFV is getting more characters. Im glad its happening though. It makes me miss tournaments even more now.
Im hoping one of two of the new guys and girls appeal to me.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nice to see they announced "5 more characters, 3 stages, costumes (including a fan-made costume design contest) and more" for this 5th season, and on top of that, they continue tweaking the gameplay and fixing stuff as we saw in the game update released today.

It's also cool to see that SFV has in 2020 more steady (I mean, outside the big but short in time peaks generated by the release of new content like new characters, big gameplay changes or features) daily active users on Steam than SFV or any other Capcom fighting game had before.

Now only I'd ask you disgusting toxic haters to leave the Street Fighter forum threads, and if possible the FGC too. Or change your awful attitude, you're embarassing. It would be better for everyone.

Last edited:
Guess Cinematic Story Mode Season 2 is a no-go, huh?

Oh well. I just hope the new fighters are interesting. I think they need more III chars and an Alpha char, and the last two could be all-new. Or maybe do 1 char from III, 1 from Alpha, 1 guest char, and 2 brand new ones.

III: Either Elena, Twelve, Necro or Dudley. Leaning Twelve or Necro. Twelve could technically just be "Eleven".

Alpha: Rose or Rolento, leaning towards Rose.

Guest: Someone from Rival Schools or Power Stone would be cool, provided maybe it hints at a new installment in one of those IP.

New Chars: One male, one female and make sure they move the timeline closer to the SF III games.

Nymphae

Banned
Well, xenoverse 2 has been doing the same, planned dlc was over years ago, they just started releasing more because the support was great.

c'mon decapre plsono

It's hard to complain about more characters being added, just saying it's funny to announce this so quickly after the release of what everyone was sure was the big final package.

I'm hoping for Dudley and Remy, but he's got no chance in hell.

Top Bottom