• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Nymphae

Banned
Played SFV again after more then 1 year break and its still 90% Ryu, Ken and Akuma all the time.

Even SF4 was not this bad.

It's not really surprising that at the lower ranks of players people tend to choose the shoto types, what is your rank? At higher ranks you're going to see more character diversity. It was the same thing with SF4 in my experience, at the lower levels you had everyone playing Ken and Ryu.

Bald-N-Furious

Neo Member
It's not really surprising that at the lower ranks of players people tend to choose the shoto types, what is your rank? At higher ranks you're going to see more character diversity. It was the same thing with SF4 in my experience, at the lower levels you had everyone playing Ken and Ryu.

Im around 3500 points

Nymphae

Banned
Im around 3500 points

I don't even have that many points lol, and I see a pretty decent variety it feels like. I'm slumming it in the ranks right now so I expect to see a lot of shoto, but I see a lot of Juri, Cammy, Urien, Bison, among the ones you listed.

Anyone see that tourney final with Punk and Bonchan last night? It was really good.
Usually mirror matches are super boring for me, but it was very interesting to see which Karin would prevail.

Nymphae

Banned
Anyone see that tourney final with Punk and Bonchan last night? It was really good.
Usually mirror matches are super boring for me, but it was very interesting to see which Karin would prevail.

I did catch the grand finals luckily, I enjoyed seeing Punk lose to Bonchan, although it would have been a lot cooler if he did it with Sagat.

I did catch the grand finals luckily, I enjoyed seeing Punk lose to Bonchan, although it would have been a lot cooler if he did it with Sagat.

I know Punk is a Bonchan fan and I saw Bonchan on some youtube vid talking about strategies to beat Punk and how he couldnt do what Punk does (the hit confirm stuff), so this was a match up I wanted to see.
I loathe Ibuki and Rashid, but Im generally happy to see anyone who doesnt use those characters win.

Nymphae

Banned
I know Punk is a Bonchan fan and I saw Bonchan on some youtube vid talking about strategies to beat Punk and how he couldnt do what Punk does (the hit confirm stuff), so this was a match up I wanted to see.
I loathe Ibuki and Rashid, but Im generally happy to see anyone who doesnt use those characters win.

I saw Punk miss a few confirms in that match, he was cracking a bit finally. He's been on fire all year but Bonchan is determined. There is somewhat of a mutual respect there, both of them having commented positively on each other in the past, I have more respect for Bonchan though - I think Punk just said Bonchan was his favourite player, but Bonchan is on record saying Punk is probably the best and is doing things others just aren't capable of - and then he takes him on and comes out on top. I'll always view Punk as a disrespectful crybaby who likes teabagging players.

Nymphae

Banned
I experienced my first SFV rage quitter last night :messenger_tears_of_joy: Dude was using G, took me the first round. I got him the second round, then stole the third with a well timed FBA grab on his wakeup, lost connection before getting the win.

It honestly feels better than getting an actual win because you know you tilted the shit out of them lol. I was bummed though because I was just hopping in for a quick match to get the FM reward for playing a Casual Match, so I had to run another to get the reward.
Who fucking rage quits a casual match? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kunonabi

I experienced my first SFV rage quitter last night :messenger_tears_of_joy: Dude was using G, took me the first round. I got him the second round, then stole the third with a well timed FBA grab on his wakeup, lost connection before getting the win.

It honestly feels better than getting an actual win because you know you tilted the shit out of them lol. I was bummed though because I was just hopping in for a quick match to get the FM reward for playing a Casual Match, so I had to run another to get the reward.
Who fucking rage quits a casual match? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah, people take casual matches way too seriously. The amount of lag spikers in casual is freaking nuts.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The new characters are great. It sucks that the character pack doesn't include Honda's stage as well, but luckily I had juuuuust enough fight money to unlock it after playing through the 3 new characters' stories. I also wish that completing a character's story unlocked their story mode costume but I guess Capcom gonna Capcom. Honda's stage looks awesome in 3D. Some of the text in Lucia's story didn't match what was being said on screen though (bug).

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
The new characters are great. It sucks that the character pack doesn't include Honda's stage as well, but luckily I had juuuuust enough fight money to unlock it after playing through the 3 new characters' stories. I also wish that completing a character's story unlocked their story mode costume but I guess Capcom gonna Capcom. Honda's stage looks awesome in 3D. Some of the text in Lucia's story didn't match what was being said on screen though (bug).

They really are all quite fun, it's a shame the announcement was tainted by the leak and people seemed kind of down on it overall. I want that stage too but I don't feel like paying for it, it really should have came with the pack.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't care what Capcom says, No way is Poison a dude.
Not with those hips & thighs
Some serious bone grafting going on if she is 😂

That's what people said about SF4 as well.
Get over it...

Uh... no game is universally loved. I don't even like IV that much.

IV brought back the FGC. IV had solid numbers all the way to the end if it's lifecycle. V numbers have dropped so hard and the motivation for players is not the same as other games. Just look at the numbers for any local scene.

Kenji Ramon

Uh... no game is universally loved. I don't even like IV that much.

IV brought back the FGC. IV had solid numbers all the way to the end if it's lifecycle. V numbers have dropped so hard and the motivation for players is not the same as other games. Just look at the numbers for any local scene.

What are you doing in here if you don’t like the game? Nobody who enjoys this gane cares about your opinions and you won’t change their mind. SF4 was NOT, I repeat, NOT universally loved and people couldn’t wait to get away from it. SFV broke EVO records in terms of entrants and viewership and was the 2nd most popular game at this years EVO - and this was in its FOURTH year there. Get your troll ass outta here.

What are you doing in here if you don’t like the game? Nobody who enjoys this gane cares about your opinions and you won’t change their mind. SF4 was NOT, I repeat, NOT universally loved and people couldn’t wait to get away from it. SFV broke EVO records in terms of entrants and viewership and was the 2nd most popular game at this years EVO - and this was in its FOURTH year there. Get your troll ass outta here.

Calm your emotions down. I don't even post in this thread anymore. I just respond to you salty uninformed bastards who quote me.

I never said SFIV was universally loved.

SFV is down locally across North America. It has run its course and did so within the first year of release. It has terrible numbers across the board and is doing very poorly at retaining players. SFV has been losing players year over year since release. EVO is not the best barometer but since you brought it up here's SFV's EVO numbers since release.

2019 - 1,929
2018 - 2,421
2017 - 2,622
2016 - 5065

EVO has been growing bigger every year. Yet, SFV is stagnating. Meanwhile USFIV had 2227 entrants on it's last year. Which if I don't have to spell it out for you is higher then SFV this year. And, that was its SEVENTH year. So please shut the fuck up with your uninformed ass.

And again I will peace out from this thread.

Kenji Ramon

Calm your emotions down. I don't even post in this thread anymore. I just respond to you salty uninformed bastards who quote me.

I never said SFIV was universally loved.

SFV is down locally across North America. It has run its course and did so within the first year of release. It has terrible numbers across the board and is doing very poorly at retaining players. SFV has been losing players year over year since release. EVO is not the best barometer but since you brought it up here's SFV's EVO numbers since release.

2019 - 1,929
2018 - 2,421
2017 - 2,622
2016 - 5065

EVO has been growing bigger every year. Yet, SFV is stagnating. Meanwhile USFIV had 2227 entrants on it's last year. Which if I don't have to spell it out for you is higher then SFV this year. And, that was its SEVENTH year. So please shut the fuck up with your uninformed ass.

And again I will peace out from this thread.

It’s the most popular fighter in the FGC yet it’s stagnating lol. You are a piece of shit toxic troll who has no idea what they are talking about and just talks nonsense that is out of context and in bad faith. Nobody takes you seriously so YOU need to shut the fuck up with your uninformed ass and stay away.

It’s the most popular fighter in the FGC yet it’s stagnating lol. You are a piece of shit toxic troll who has no idea what they are talking about and just talks nonsense that is out of context and in bad faith. Nobody takes you seriously so YOU need to shut the fuck up with your uninformed ass and stay away.

Smash Ultimate is the most popular fighter in the FGC in terms of entrants. Tekken and Smash both had more viewers than SFV.

I have provided nothing but facts. Please don't use your emotions to argue.

Kenji Ramon

Smash Ultimate is the most popular fighter in the FGC in terms of entrants. Tekken and Smash both had more viewers than SFV.

I have provided nothing but facts. Please don't use your emotions to argue.

Stop being pathetic and taking things out of context. Smash also isn’t “FGC”. It’s its own genre - which is a “party game”.

After all these years, what's your verdict on SFVs roster?

For me, they started out really strong with Necalli, redesigned Ken, FANG, redesigned Dhalsim, Laura and a couple of others, but most of their later new characters kind of baffled me.

Nymphae

Banned
For me, they started out really strong with Necalli, redesigned Ken, FANG, redesigned Dhalsim, Laura and a couple of others, but most of their later new characters kind of baffled me.

I like them all generally except for Ed and Falke. G is just weird as fuck and I still don't think he fits into the franchise at all.

I was super happy with SFV launch roster. A few random character thoughts...
We got TWO sexy girls in Cammy and Mika, who both show off their cute asses, so of course I loved that.
I always liked Nash and Birdie as characters so it was cool to have them back. Semi-zombifying one and making the other a fatty was an interesting design choice too. I was happy with their old looks, but I didnt mind their changes either.
Fang is creepy with his slim frame and monster hands, so he is a nicely designed villain.
SFV is the first game in the series that got me to use Chun. Visually, she has some really sexy outfits and I like the technical skill required to do some of her combos. She is really fun.
Rashid is a character I never liked. Having a rough part of the world like the Middle East represented by some guy with fancy tech and big smile on his face seems very phony to me. His smothering offensive capabilities make him very boring to watch in tournaments too. I also hate Ibuki with her dumb looking hair and high tier antics. She is another character I never like seeing in tournaments. She is like a mosquito that I'd like to see get swatted.
Juri's visual design in SFV was something I never liked either. Her ugly eye patch and black (censorship driven) bodysuit always bothered me - especially when the game gave us virtually naked Urien at the same time. I dont mind her new gameplay though. Infiltration really showed me how capable she is.
Alex is a character I loved in SF3 and even though I still think he is fun to play in SFV, he doesnt look good. His default hair and fighting stance look terrible. It looks like his legs are on backwards or something.
I dont like Kolins big nose, but she is very fun to use. Counters are always fun.
Sunflower Akuma still looks a bit funny, but I've noticed even the pro players (like Tokido) dont seem to mind his new look.
Abigail was a GREAT new addition. He just looks so freakishly huge. A real visual novelty, and seeing pro's steal games with him when he had his OP v-trigger was great.
Menat was also a great addition. She animates so well and in a really feminine manner. Its also good that she has a high skill ceiling. Too high for me, but it makes her fun to watch (unless J Wong the turtle, is playing her).
Zekus young/old concept never made sense to me, but he does have some nice looking moves.
Blanka sucks. He's not mean like he was in the World Warrior days. He's just a goofy ass-scratcher now.
Theres too much of a chance of Poison being biologically male for me to like them.
I generally like Lauras looks and seeing pro's use her crazy set ups.
Overall, Im pretty happy with the roster we have now.

Nymphae

Banned
The Shadow Lady boss is straight up a Marvel vs. Capcom character put into Street Fighter 5 and it's pretty busted

I have never understood these Extra Boss battle things. You fucking pay FM to attempt these, and your only reward, assuming you can beat the ungodly cheap AI, is a fucking shitty title.

This is a Chun that has a ton of extra moves, and 2 CAs. Why do they put this kind of effort into things that (likely) a large percentage of the user base has absolutely no interest in? Who is parting with their hard earned FM to get ass whooped by a CPU character for such a measly reward?

I really do wonder who they are making these for. They spend time designing a new Chun and give her new moves and a fucking second CA, and how visible is this thing going to be? I cannot understand their priorities at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, they really shouldnt be charging Fight money to take on those bosses. So few people are going to waste $1000 a pop, just to compete.
Its a pity, because it looks like Capcom put some effort into making a cool challenge, but so many people will just ignore it because of the entry fee.
Ah well. At least I saw a few streamers beat Shadow Chun. That was something.

Top Bottom