• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 - Open Beta Announced for May 19-21

Naked Lunch

Everytime I had time to play this weekend, it was 'under maintenance'.
GG Capcom.

I got plenty of time in the December beta tho - and that sold me. Not too much longer to wait.

Not sure why, but it's crazy to think this game drops next week. I'm going to miss the hell out of SFV, but let's see what SF6 has. I'm interested in how it will evolve over the years to come.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Think I may just switch to picking up the ultimate edition on Steam....hmmmm. Xbox version ran pretty great though.

But playing on the go on the ROG ally would be great.

Last edited:
Didn’t have much time to try it out but when I did last night everyone I went against was playing Jamie for some reason. One guy in particular had his punishes/combos down pat, so kudos to him. That being said I wish I could’ve played against other characters.

I didn’t even intend to play anybody I just wanted to practice and try out characters, but kept getting interrupted. I was initially going to play Kimberly and Juri, I don’t know why but Juri’s new controls aren’t doing anything for me.

I think it’s because I haven’t really played 5, and the last game I played significantly was 4, but characters like Juri and Chun control way different in this. The fact Chun’s lighting legs are on a QCF command now (which may have been a thing in 5?) instead of mashing means she’s probably viable for me to play now. If I do get into the game I’ll probably be maining Kimberly and Chun-li.

Unfortunately my usual mains, Vega and Ibuki, seem unlikely to join the roster anytime soon, so I may just wait for the game to have a few seasons before jumping in.

Wait so isn't that the whole point of modern controls, to enable players to do whatever move they want without having to fight the execution barrier? Then you are really facing off against how quickly a person can think/anticipate/react rather than their ability to press buttons or move levers. So on the whole Capcom may have achieved exactly what they intended.

Sounds to me like modern controls may just be a better way to experience the game then. Ultimately one day they may wire our brains directly to the videogame and you will be able to do moves just by thinking about them. Seems as long as the game is the same (frame data, etc) the input method shouldn't matter.
So you really think we’re going to have matrix style neuro connections in our brains within our lifetimes? I think you’ve been spending too much time on the internet. Ya, *maybe* that will happen someday, BUT RIGHT NOW, the real life situation is that modern control allows some real bullshit to take place.

This video is just a small sample of some bullshit with modern guile. Low level players and people who suck are still going to suck at the game no matter what, but giving modern controls to people to who know they are doing is going to fuck the game over for the rest of us. Instant and perfect sonic boom everytime, Instant flash kick. There’s a moment where he misses a flash kick and the second he lands does super, Walk forward flash kick, shit that shouldn’t even be possible. Guile gets all the frames and move properties of his moves being charge moves, but loses their drawback of having to charge them, it’s absolutely busted.
Some of the shit in that video doesn’t even resemble SF anymore. So while you’re pretending we’re living in a matrix style future “someday” players who actually want to play SF have to deal with this shit. Can only hope that Capcom does something about or that TOs just start banning it from tournaments. Don’t give a shit if Capcom allows it at CPT.
People like modern because they think it will give them a chance to be good for once, it won’t. They will still be terrible at the game, it’s just going to cause headaches for better players.

nikos

I've never had great execution, especially after the DP shortcut (a completely unncessary mechanic that should have the option of being disabled) was introduced, but still use a stick and have been mostly getting my ass kicked all these years.

Now you have people using Hit Box style controllers, which used to be banned, and Modern controls.

Why should I have to play against that? It's similar to playing shooters on a mouse and going against controller players with aim assist, cronus etc. I stopped playing those types of shooters because I want to play against another person, not their assists and now the same bullshit is in fighting games.

Last edited:

Edmund

Gold Member
I've never had great execution but still use a stick and have been mostly getting my ass kicked all these years.

Now you have people using Hit Box style controllers, which used to be banned, and Modern controls.

Why should I have to play against that? It's similar to playing shooters on a mouse and going against controller players with aim assist, cronus etc. I stopped playing those types of shooters because I want to play against another person, not their assists and now the same bullshit is in fighting games.

I have played over 100 matches during the 3 days of the beta and have only faced a handful people using Modern controls. The game is super fun and the netcode is great. That's all that matters! =)

nikos

I have played over 100 matches during the 3 days of the beta and have only faced a handful people using Modern controls. The game is super fun and the netcode is great. That's all that matters! =)

Same here, to be honest. Throughout all of the betas I've only seen a few people use Modern controls a few times and they were not good. We'll see where things end up going.

Last edited:

Edmund

Gold Member
Same here, to be honest. Throughout all of the betas I've only seen a few people use Modern controls a few times and they were not good. We'll see where things end up going.

I think most of the modern users are due to people not knowing how to change to Classic controls. I'm one of them, and so were my friends. :messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling:

It was quite annoying having to change to classic for every individual characters. Here's hoping the game makes things easier on launch! =)

Yes thankfully that was my experience as well. Didn’t run into many of them, but blocked every single one. If I see that M, you’re going on the block list.
And ya, the netcode is very smooth. Had a great experience overall.

Last edited:

Hot5pur

So you really think we’re going to have matrix style neuro connections in our brains within our lifetimes? I think you’ve been spending too much time on the internet. Ya, *maybe* that will happen someday, BUT RIGHT NOW, the real life situation is that modern control allows some real bullshit to take place.

This video is just a small sample of some bullshit with modern guile. Low level players and people who suck are still going to suck at the game no matter what, but giving modern controls to people to who know they are doing is going to fuck the game over for the rest of us. Instant and perfect sonic boom everytime, Instant flash kick. There’s a moment where he misses a flash kick and the second he lands does super, Walk forward flash kick, shit that shouldn’t even be possible. Guile gets all the frames and move properties of his moves being charge moves, but loses their drawback of having to charge them, it’s absolutely busted.
Some of the shit in that video doesn’t even resemble SF anymore. So while you’re pretending we’re living in a matrix style future “someday” players who actually want to play SF have to deal with this shit. Can only hope that Capcom does something about or that TOs just start banning it from tournaments. Don’t give a shit if Capcom allows it at CPT.
People like modern because they think it will give them a chance to be good for once, it won’t. They will still be terrible at the game, it’s just going to cause headaches for better players.

Alright that definitely changes things. If charge characters no longer need to charge then that's altering the mechanics of the game. I suppose you could say a forward motion plus a button is faster than a qcf and button, but the difference is trivial compared to charge vs no charge. Yikes! I can see what you mean.

My point was more that I don't see the downside to eliminate the complex motions (perhaps for modern controls they can have their framedata adjusted to compensate for not needing the time for the full motion). But here Capcom did the opposite and basically broke the game. So I take what I said back. Will have to check out some more vids, kinda strange they would choose to do this.

Hot5pur

Actually should have checked before taking Icymanipulator Icymanipulator post at face value. Seems you still need to charge but you don't need to press forward, just charge back and press a button.

So my original opinion still stands. Lol

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Great mix of 3 4 and 5. Looking forward to the release and the game evolving over the coming years.

Props to Capcom for having buttery smoother beta play this weekend (and all their betas for sf6 tbh). Playing against some folks in the UK and had zero lag issues....beautiful!

Modern controls should be banned from Tournament and Ranked play.

Actually should have checked before taking Icymanipulator Icymanipulator post at face value. Seems you still need to charge but you don't need to press forward, just charge back and press a button.

So my original opinion still stands. Lol
Yes, are right about the charging, I was wrong about that, but! If you’re applying pressure in a corner situation and don’t ever need to let go of back to hit forward, that’s a huge advantage. It reduces the complexity of combos to the point where we’re seeing huge 10+ sec combos that are not extremely hard to pull off and the “damage reduction” goes out the window at that point. This also still leaves the issue of instant reaction to moves with supers. Just watched Hitani (very high level Japanese ken player) get blown up by another player using modern controls. Being able to react to moves with just a combination of buttons (direction + button) is far far faster than having to input the motion yourself, so fast that it makes nearly all moves unsafe to even do, forget about being negative or positive on block, the move will never even get the chance to connect.
Watching high level players (diamond, platinum, ect) being stuck in a corner with no ability to respond just seems wrong on so many levels. It’s not like the modern control user is some genius mastermind calculating all the right moves, they can just go hog wild knowing that they can easily react to any attempt by the opposing player with ease. Not sure how this makes the game fun or balanced.

And just a side note, I’m not actually angry or anything at you personally. What’s frustrating is seeing what playing against modern controls is turning the game into. I hope this is just early beta play and that tactics will evolve or something will happen that weakness modern. But it doesn’t seem likely as it stands now. There was a tournament that LIjoe put on for the beta, think it was called beta bash, that guile in the video I linked above did lose to a chun li player using classic controls but the level of play and control on display from the classic player was almost unreal, it usually won’t go down that way imo.

Most players will not have the mental fortitude to deal with this, and modern control tactics will also continue to evolve

Last edited:
Top Bottom