• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 35th anniversary logo revealed

So why isn't Street Fighter V on the PS3?
Because Sony moneyhatted the development, remember?

Anyway, weird take: After all these anniversaries, I'm actually fairly surprised they never tried making an "update" of Street Fighter 1. Like, "Super" or 'Ultra" Street Fighter One?

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Do think a lot of fighting games will come back to Xbox?

Seems like Sony was very happy with their arrangement with Capcom (and they "bought" EVO) I don't know why they wouldn't pursue the same deal for SF6.
Maybe with the cash Capcom has pulled in with MHRise and Resident 7&8 they won't need the "money hat" but time will tell.

A.Romero

I'm not spending money on a 35 year collection.

I wish they would remake Third Strike with high res sprites. I know it's not coming but one can dream...

Yeah I'm also not spending any money on a 35th Anniversary Collection unless it brings A LOT more features than the 30th Anniversary Collection did.

Is it that difficult to include things like training modes, art galleries, and arranged soundtracks?

Because new hardware won't add anything to a game with street fighters complexity? Man I hope cross gen lasts like 5 years this gen, that'd be better for everyone
Sadly, you don't play fighting games enough to realize how much the PS4 is holding back the competitive scene. (which is a vital component to the FGC) Many games wouldn't be around still without their comp scene or rollback netcode/Parsec.

Reading this thread is just making me laugh because all of the people who are begging for MVC2 to comeback are gonna be disappointed when they find out that the same guys that did both SF 30th Anniversary and the Samurai Shodown Neo-Geo Collection will likely work on the next 35th Anniversary Collection.

It would be nice to be able to play the EX games (Arika made SF games) though.

Barakov

Gold Member
Breaking logo news!

Street Fighter 35th anniversary logo revealed​

New project to be announced in 2022.

zX3Vj3E.jpg

Capcom has revealed the 35th anniversary logo for the Street Fighter series.

The first entry in the Street Fighter series launched for arcade in Japan on August 12, 1987, so the fighting game will celebrate its 35th anniversary on August 12, 2022.

Capcom previously teased that it will announce its next Street Fighter project in 2022, and that final Street Fighter V: Champion Edition downloadable content character Luke will play an important role.

Source: Gematsu
Looks pretty good. Definitely better than that new Bandai-Namco logo. That thing is trash.

DavidGzz

This can be done in PS4 is desired, it's a design and production choice and not a generational tech constraint. To make a lot of reaction animations would require a ton of animatons more multplied by over 40 characters. Plus to have a predictable behavior when getting hit or to hit is key for fighting games and to build strategy. So I think in this area they will and should be conservative and to stick to what works.

How do you know this? And even so, would it be 60fps on PS4 without detracting from pushing PS5 to it's limits? When should fighting games stop coming out for last generation? It's cool that you're happy with hamstringing graphics and features but we don't all have to be ok with it.

Why wasn't it on PS3 because Sony helped with the budget of the game and they wanted Capcom to make a game to sell the PS4. If Capcom makes the next Street Fighter non exclusive then it would be best for them to make it cross gen. The most money out of it.

Good reason, but my point stands, there comes a time when games, yes, even fighting games cannot keep using Jaguar as a base. I think that time is now, you all can disagree and that's fine. If that time never came, we'd still be stuck playing fighters with 2d graphics or 3d with Toshinden-like floaty jumps lol

Last edited:

yurinka

How do you know this? And even so, would it be 60fps on PS4 without detracting from pushing PS5 to it's limits? When should fighting games stop coming out for last generation? It's cool that you're happy with hamstringing graphics and features but we don't all have to be ok with it.
I started to work as game developer 16 years ago, including in a top publisher. I know many people who works or worked in many companies. But well, this isn't a secret, many people told it publicly.

Certain genres like arcade versus fighting games or racing games require minimal horsepower and memory for their basic gameplay, so it's easy to port them to system with low end hardware specs, and modern mainstream engines like Unreal or Unity allows easy ports for any current conol. In this case, notice how they were able to port many Unreal fighting games like MK 11 or Dragon Ball Z to Switch. They could have ported SFV to Switch if the exclusivity deal wasn't there.

Basically the next gen fighting games will be like the previous gen games, but scaling up the visuals: bigger native resolution, poly count, textures, some extra lighting or shader effect, as happened with the jump from PS3 to PS4. But this time with almost no loading times. Since now they also release the fighting games on PC, they develop it for PC and then for each console they choose some PC settings.

Check out this long reply to know when and why you'll see games taking advantage of PS5 limits:

Good reason, but my point stands, there comes a time when games, yes, even fighting games cannot keep using Jaguar as a base. I think that time is now, you all can disagree and that's fine. If that time never came, we'd still be stuck playing fighters with 2d graphics or 3d with Toshinden-like floaty jumps lol
As I remember almost according to Sony a year ago there still 80M monthly active users on PS4, and in the next years if every year they sell let's say an average of 10-20 million PS5s, in 2024 or 2025 they will have around half of the userbase in the next gen. Consider that this transition is also going to be specially long and slow for different reasons: multifactorial financial crysis, people still engaged with last gen because still receives content ther via games as service getting support during many years, game and video subscriptions still providing content, publishers releasing more crossgen games than in previous generations because it makes more financial sense for them because they are more profitable.

On top of that, consider that devs got the next gen specs and game engines in 2019. It means that game engines for the next gen started back then, and the ones who take full advantage of the next gen still aren't ready, they need some years to realize what the new consoles are really capable of and to implement it. And once they achieve it then they are able to design the new games around these new tech constrains and new possible features and capabilities, develop the tools and tech needed to achieve this and to adapt their workflow.

But unlike in previous generations, the change is specially big: the new tech introduces some paradigm changes that affects the workflow. The consoles are so powerful that next gen engines don't need to use tricks done until now to simulate fake extra detail: they will be able to introduce it into the model and texture and all these tricks won't be needed, and level design won't be constrained by loading/streaming times, so they may get rid of very complex level design stuff needed to mask, hide and prevent loading times issues.

And when they have all these things, they need some years to develop the games, and each generation to develop a AAA game takes more time, requires more work. Specially in the art area, because the games allow to put there more assets and each one has more detail, and the games in many genres get bigger.

This means that engines like Unreal Engine 5 that allows next gen only stuff will be released this year, and AAA games designed around the new stuff, if devs researched and learnt it, and adapted their workflow during preproduction, will need at least 3-5 years of development for AAA games (around 2-3 in the case of fighting games) if it starts this year.

It also means that games released before 2024-2025 or so will have been designed with previous gen engines, workflow, techniques and designed basically for previous gen hardware or at least for its paradigms, adding only some extra visual touches to make it look better in next gen. So it means that AAA games released until 2023 will be basically previous gen games that weren't able to be designed from scratch for the next gen, so they aren't constrained if made crossgen.

Consider that games like Horizon 2, GT7 or GoWR started to be developed around 2017-2018, so back then couldn't be designed for next gen stuff because even Sony didn't know how the PS5 tech was going to be because it didn't exist. So couldn't design the games around it and couldn't make engines around it. In the case of SF6, its preproduction started in 2019 and production in 2020 (originally planned to be released late 2022 according to the Capcom document leak, pretty likely will have been delayed to 2023 due to covid and SFV development getting extended due to its success, both SF5 and SF6 are made by the same team) and being a 3rd party had less visibility regarding next gen stuff, and if it continues using Unreal they still don't have the final UE5.

TLDR: AAA games released during 2022/early 2023 will still have been developed using last gen engines, hardware, mindset and constrains in mind. AAA games require time to be developed, and to take full advantage of next gen stuff games require to be designed from scratch knowing the new limits and having engines, devkits, tools, workflow and mindset, and when these games started their preproduction they didn't have it. So even if released only in next gen they wouldn't be able to take full advanage of it. And even less on certain genres like versus fighting games where the new stuff other than almost no loading times and extra visual stuff won't be noticed.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I started to work as game developer 16 years ago, including in a top publisher. I know many people who works or worked in many companies. But well, this isn't a secret, many people told it publicly.

Certain genres like arcade versus fighting games or racing games require minimal horsepower and memory for their basic gameplay, so it's easy to port them to system with low end hardware specs, and modern mainstream engines like Unreal or Unity allows easy ports for any current conol. In this case, notice how they were able to port many Unreal fighting games like MK 11 or Dragon Ball Z to Switch. They could have ported SFV to Switch if the exclusivity deal wasn't there.

Basically the next gen fighting games will be like the previous gen games, but scaling up the visuals: bigger native resolution, poly count, textures, some extra lighting or shader effect, as happened with the jump from PS3 to PS4. But this time with almost no loading times. Since now they also release the fighting games on PC, they develop it for PC and then for each console they choose some PC settings.

Check out this long reply to know when and why you'll see games taking advantage of PS5 limits:

As I remember almost according to Sony a year ago there still 80M monthly active users on PS4, and in the next years if every year they sell let's say an average of 10-20 million PS5s, in 2024 or 2025 they will have around half of the userbase in the next gen. Consider that this transition is also going to be specially long and slow for different reasons: multifactorial financial crysis, people still engaged with last gen because still receives content ther via games as service getting support during many years, game and video subscriptions still providing content, publishers releasing more crossgen games than in previous generations because it makes more financial sense for them because they are more profitable.

On top of that, consider that devs got the next gen specs and game engines in 2019. It means that game engines for the next gen started back then, and the ones who take full advantage of the next gen still aren't ready, they need some years to realize what the new consoles are really capable of and to implement it. And once they achieve it then they are able to design the new games around these new tech constrains and new possible features and capabilities, develop the tools and tech needed to achieve this and to adapt their workflow.

But unlike in previous generations, the change is specially big: the new tech introduces some paradigm changes that affects the workflow. The consoles are so powerful that next gen engines don't need to use tricks done until now to simulate fake extra detail: they will be able to introduce it into the model and texture and all these tricks won't be needed, and level design won't be constrained by loading/streaming times, so they may get rid of very complex level design stuff needed to mask, hide and prevent loading times issues.

And when they have all these things, they need some years to develop the games, and each generation to develop a AAA game takes more time, requires more work. Specially in the art area, because the games allow to put there more assets and each one has more detail, and the games in many genres get bigger.

This means that engines like Unreal Engine 5 that allows next gen only stuff will be released this year, and AAA games designed around the new stuff, if devs researched and learnt it, and adapted their workflow during preproduction, will need at least 3-5 years of development for AAA games (around 2-3 in the case of fighting games) if it starts this year.

It also means that games released before 2024-2025 or so will have been designed with previous gen engines, workflow, techniques and designed basically for previous gen hardware or at least for its paradigms, adding only some extra visual touches to make it look better in next gen. So it means that AAA games released until 2023 will be basically previous gen games that weren't able to be designed from scratch for the next gen, so they aren't constrained if made crossgen.

Consider that games like Horizon 2, GT7 or GoWR started to be developed around 2017-2018, so back then couldn't be designed for next gen stuff because even Sony didn't know how the PS5 tech was going to be because it didn't exist. So couldn't design the games around it and couldn't make engines around it. In the case of SF6, its preproduction started in 2019 and production in 2020 (originally planned to be released late 2022 according to the Capcom document leak, pretty likely will have been delayed to 2023 due to covid and SFV development getting extended due to its success, both SF5 and SF6 are made by the same team) and being a 3rd party had less visibility regarding next gen stuff, and if it continues using Unreal they still don't have the final UE5.

TLDR: AAA games released during 2022/early 2023 will still have been developed using last gen engines, hardware, mindset and constrains in mind. AAA games require time to be developed, and to take full advantage of next gen stuff games require to be designed from scratch knowing the new limits and having engines, devkits, tools, workflow and mindset, and when these games started their preproduction they didn't have it. So even if released only in next gen they wouldn't be able to take full advanage of it. And even less on certain genres like versus fighting games where the new stuff other than almost no loading times and extra visual stuff won't be noticed.

I couldn't care less how much Capcom stands to make by releasing their game for last gen. No matter what you say it takes away from specializing by spreading themselves thin developing for 5 consoles and PC. The Switch can also run The Witcher 3, who cares? That's a good example, if The Witcher 3 was developed with the Switch in mind to make it less blurry and 60fps, wouldn't the graphics be worse across the board unless they took time and money on a PC/last gen upgrade? Not to mention, fast loading on current gen won't matter when we all have to wait for last gen consoles to load the same assets so we can play against these people online.

Speaking of cross-gen games like Horizon, that's exactly my point. Last gen hamstrung the visuals. Horizon and GoW look great but Hellblade and other next gen stuff like The Matrix demo look a good deal better.

As for fighting games, what about insane looking particle effects, destructible environments, CGI level models using UE5, etc? They can always take it up a notch. This idea that PS4 and Xbox 1 won't cause any cutbacks to visuals just because they are fighting games is short sighted.

Buki1

Make a proper Street Fighter Collection
Street Fighter
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Zero/Gold
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper/Max
Street Fighter 3 Second Impact
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter EX 3
Street Fighter The Movie
Pocket Fighter

I just clocked around 30 hours into Fighting EX Layer on PS4 so I'm not hungry for that EX gameplay, but I agree those SF EX games should be included. Same with The Movie, Capcom please stop pretending this game never happend. 12 yo me was having a blast on the arcades with it, before I read on the internet I should hate it. Street Fighter movie based on a game and Street Fighter The Movie game based on a movie based on a game are also part of your history.

Knightime_X

Make a proper Street Fighter Collection
Street Fighter
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Ultra Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter Alpha 2 Zero/Gold
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Double Upper/Max
Street Fighter 3 Second Impact
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
Street Fighter EX 2
Street Fighter EX 3
Street Fighter The Movie
Pocket Fighter
Make all of them playable online and decent button mapping. I will pay $70 rfnow.

I noticed you forgot the legendary HD Remix in that list.
I'll pay $40 tops.

Last edited:

Ian Henry

I really like the logo tbh. However, it has an SNK feel to the aesthetic. Seems like we might have a complete visual overhaul in how the series will look down the line. Hopefully, it'll be interesting.

yurinka

I couldn't care less how much Capcom stands to make by releasing their game for last gen. No matter what you say it takes away from specializing by spreading themselves thin developing for 5 consoles and PC. The Switch can also run The Witcher 3, who cares? That's a good example, if The Witcher 3 was developed with the Switch in mind to make it less blurry and 60fps, wouldn't the graphics be worse across the board unless they took time and money on a PC/last gen upgrade? Not to mention, fast loading on current gen won't matter when we all have to wait for last gen consoles to load the same assets so we can play against these people online.
Most of the time you wait to start a multiplayer battle is the matchmaking and synching, not the loading time. It only has to load the other character and sometimes the background, so loading times are short here. In addition to this, looking at the trophies you can see that most players don't play online and focus on single player instead.

Street Fighter 6 isn't planned for Switch, which got fighting games like MK11 or Dragon Bal FighterZ just to mention a few (with obvious reduced visual quality, but still decent).

Speaking of cross-gen games like Horizon, that's exactly my point. Last gen hamstrung the visuals. Horizon and GoW look great but Hellblade and other next gen stuff like The Matrix demo look a good deal better.
We saw gameplay of Horizon and God of War and they will be released relatively soon. Hellblade 2 director said this summer that they were still in preproduction working on a first playable chunk (a vertical slice), so we're far to know how Hellblade 2 gameplay will exactly look.

Horizon and GoWR started their development in 2017 an 2018, so back then it was impossible to focus these games on taking full advantage of next gen beause it didn't exist. They didn't have the devkits, the engine or even the specs because things like the CPU, GPU or SSD that PS5 uses didn't exist back then.

The Matrix yes, looks great but it's a tech demo and note a full game, and it's made with an engine that still isn't complete so no game released in 2022 will take full advantage of this technology.

As for fighting games, what about insane looking particle effects, destructible environments, CGI level models using UE5, etc? They can always take it up a notch. This idea that PS4 and Xbox 1 won't cause any cutbacks to visuals just because they are fighting games is short sighted.
Insane looking particle effects and destructible environments can be done in PS4, if they don't do it in fightin games is because of a design choice. CGI level models and lighting could be done only in next gen, they should be drastically reduced for previus gen, but they are only needed in realistic art styles, which doesn't work with Street Fighter.

For Street Fighter it's better a colorful, cartoonish artstyle with contrasted bright colors and exaggerated proportions to increase readability. Which also helps to visually differentiate it from other fighting games like MK or Tekken.

938537-street-fighter-the-movie-playstation-screenshot-ryu-vs-ken.png

51689743127_f53585d328_h.jpg

DavidGzz

Most of the time you wait to start a multiplayer battle is the matchmaking and synching, not the loading time. It only has to load the other character and sometimes the background, so loading times are short here. In addition to this, looking at the trophies you can see that most players don't play online and focus on single player instead.

Street Fighter 6 isn't planned for Switch, which got fighting games like MK11 or Dragon Bal FighterZ just to mention a few (with obvious reduced visual quality, but still decent).

We saw gameplay of Horizon and God of War and they will be released relatively soon. Hellblade 2 director said this summer that they were still in preproduction working on a first playable chunk (a vertical slice), so we're far to know how Hellblade 2 gameplay will exactly look.

Horizon and GoWR started their development in 2017 an 2018, so back then it was impossible to focus these games on taking full advantage of next gen beause it didn't exist. They didn't have the devkits, the engine or even the specs because things like the CPU, GPU or SSD that PS5 uses didn't exist back then.

The Matrix yes, looks great but it's a tech demo and note a full game, and it's made with an engine that still isn't complete so no game released in 2022 will take full advantage of this technology.

Insane looking particle effects and destructible environments can be done in PS4, if they don't do it in fightin games is because of a design choice. CGI level models and lighting could be done only in next gen, they should be drastically reduced for previus gen, but they are only needed in realistic art styles, which doesn't work with Street Fighter.

For Street Fighter it's better a colorful, cartoonish artstyle with contrasted bright colors and exaggerated proportions to increase readability. Which also helps to visually differentiate it from other fighting games like MK or Tekken.

I played plenty of fighting games with load times that are too long. The new consoles with their SSDs should make it pretty instant, if you play cross-gen against a PS4 or Xbox One user, you'll be waiting for their client to load.

Your points about Horizon and God of War are exactly what I am talking about. Games are being held back because they are cross-gen. Would Soul Caliber look as good on Dreamcast if it was also on PS1? A cartoonish style doesn't mean it has to be simple. Think of cartoon CGI-level graphics with instant loading matches. None of that is possible on PS4.

Last edited:

yurinka

I played plenty of fighting games with load times that are too long. The new consoles with their SSDs should make it pretty instant, if you play cross-gen against a PS4 or Xbox One user, you'll be waiting for their client to load.
Yes, next gen native games will have instant loading times. But matchmaking/synching times for online MP will continue there.

Your points about Horizon and God of War are exactly what I am talking about. Games are being held back because they are cross-gen.
No, it isn't for being crossgen. It's because current big AAA games require at least 4 or 5 years of development and these games started to be developed in 2017-2018 and they didn't have the technology, knowledge or info to take full advantage of the next gen.

If they would have released these games only on PS5 the games they would have been essentially the same as what they are going to be: basically a slightly prettier last gen game. Exactly the same than all crossgen and next gen only games released for PS5 or Series during 2022 (maybe even during 2023) and before.

But still considering this, these two games will basically look better than almost everything else released until now because these devs are so badasss and their previous games already looked top tier.

Last edited:

Grechy34

Because Sony moneyhatted the development, remember?

Anyway, weird take: After all these anniversaries, I'm actually fairly surprised they never tried making an "update" of Street Fighter 1. Like, "Super" or 'Ultra" Street Fighter One?

That game is best left alone.

That game is best left alone.
That kind of talk is usually reserved for games that are masterpieces of their time, not games that were of questionable quality even back then. Street Fighter II would have been considered one of those masterpieces, and that's had it's, what, 10th updated version just a few years ago?

Street Fighter 1 is literally the one game which needs an "update" version more than any other. I would argue it would be very difficult to make a game that's inferior to or spits upon the original.

Grechy34

That kind of talk is usually reserved for games that are masterpieces of their time, not games that were of questionable quality even back then. Street Fighter II would have been considered one of those masterpieces, and that's had it's, what, 10th updated version just a few years ago?

Street Fighter 1 is literally the one game which needs an "update" version more than any other. I would argue it would be very difficult to make a game that's inferior to or spits upon the original.

Sorry I meant it as in, I don't think that game can be saved. It's frustratingly bad.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The best way to celebrate the 35th anniversary is with the release of Pocket Fighter 2, with SF6 graphics and double the characters of the original game!

DavidGzz

Yes, next gen native games will have instant loading times. But matchmaking/synching times for online MP will continue there.

No, it isn't for being crossgen. It's because current big AAA games require at least 4 or 5 years of development and these games started to be developed in 2017-2018 and they didn't have the technology, knowledge or info to take full advantage of the next gen.

If they would have released these games only on PS5 the games they would have been essentially the same as what they are going to be: basically a slightly prettier last gen game. Exactly the same than all crossgen and next gen only games released for PS5 or Series during 2022 (maybe even during 2023) and before.

But still considering this, these two games will basically look better than almost everything else released until now because these devs are so badasss and their previous games already looked top tier.

No duh about matchmaking but once you select your characters, loading will be instant if they forget about tech from 2011 lol.

AAA games take a while to make, and even longer to get them to run well on tech from a decade ago. See: Cyberpunk. What was the dev time for that? 10 years? It was probably worth it to them, monetarily, but it sucked for us.

The next next Horizon and God of War will look even better and possibly have better features because they will be current gen only. Fact.

For a 16 year vet of the industry you don't seem to be using much common sense. I thi k you're just playing devil's advocate.

Sorry I meant it as in, I don't think that game can be saved. It's frustratingly bad.
Most of the things people consider "bad" about it were fixed in 2.
Considering an update to it for the modern day would likely have new graphics and controls made more lenient, two of it's biggest issues would be the things an update would fix most cleanly. The only real theoretical "problem" with a remake would be the fear of 1 losing any of it's "uniqueness" compared to it's successors, and that's probably something the guys doing the update can figure out.

yurinka

No duh about matchmaking but once you select your characters, loading will be instant if they forget about tech from 2011 lol.
For ranked the game needs some time to find some player available that is of your -more or less- similar enough rank and with a decent enough ping. This is the reason of why games make you wait several seconds or even minutes to match you with another player. Depending on the game they have a timeout, if you have been waiting for too long they remove this filter and match you with the first available player (less bad match available).

For a 16 year vet of the industry you don't seem to be using much common sense. I thi k you're just playing devil's advocate.
I know what I'm talking about. You don't.

DavidGzz

For ranked the game needs some time to find some player available that is of your -more or less- similar enough rank and with a decent enough ping. This is the reason of why games make you wait several seconds or even minutes to match you with another player. Depending on the game they have a timeout, if you have been waiting for too long they remove this filter and match you with the first available player (less bad match available).

I know what I'm talking about. You don't.

And you keep avoiding the fact that loading matches is slower on last gen hardware. Matching you up has nothing to do with the actual loading time once you select your characters.

Yep, games should just always be cross gen until the end of time. That doesn't affect dev time, or cause sacrifices said no one ever. Sony fans complain that the Series S will hold back current gen which I don't agree with, but I do agree that continuing to use PS4 and Xbox One as the base, definitely will.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

They need to include the hacked ROMs for SF2. Or will include a construction kit to make your own.

It blew my 12 year old mind when I visited a mom and pop convenience store in Mexico and these kids were playing a hacked version of the game. I didn't even know what video game hacks were back then. I just knew these kids were sliding across the screen with Blanka while he was doing his electricity move, E. Honda was moving while he was doing his 1k hand slap, Zangief was pile driving motherfuckers through the ground to only reappear at the top of the screen to do a 3 story drop, etc. It was nuts.

yurinka

And you keep avoiding the fact that loading matches is slower on last gen hardware.
It's a fact that loading times are slower on SSDs than in HDDs. And using the same HDD or SSD, same game and same poly count/textures, faster CPU and memory helps a bit with loading times too.

Matching you up has nothing to do with the actual loading time once you select your characters.
Yes, this is what I said: when you go to play a multiplayer match in ranked, the time you spend finding a new player in matchmaking and connecing to them has nothing to do with loading. After that, in the case of SFV you don't wait for character select because players select it before hand in the battle settings, but you select v-skill and v-trigger so you have to wait for the other player to select it. After that there's the loading time for the stage and the other player's character. And after that the connections of both players is synched.

Yep, games should just always be cross gen until the end of time.
No, I -and I assume most devs and publishers- think that most games will continue being crossgens when the majority or big majority of the players still are in the previous gen. Unless you're a platform holder like Sony who wants to release from time to time a next gen only exclusive even if that means that 70-80% of the playerbase won't be able to buy it, so probably they'll lose money wiht the game or to have minimal profit when the game would have been basically the same but would have sold way more if crossgen.

That doesn't affect dev time, or cause sacrifices said no one ever. Sony fans complain that the Series S will hold back current gen which I don't agree with, but I do agree that continuing to use PS4 and Xbox One as the base, definitely will.
All generations took around 3 or 4 years or until devs master the new tech and take full advantage of it on 2nd or 3rd gen games. Until then, they use mostly previous gen tech (refurbished engines & tools) and techniques. During that period, crossgen and Series S won't hold back the games, specially this gen when AAA games have way longer dev times than they had in each previous generation (each gen they require more people & time).

Once next gen only that take (almost, 100% is never reached due to bottlenecks & other stuff) full advantage of the hardware will get released, the difference in GPU horsepower and memory size (the CPU difference is minimal) will become a reason to hold them back a bit, but not too much compared to when they released the games for previous gen hardware and when they didn't have the technology and knowledge to take advantage of the new one.

But since most games will be also released on PC they will compensate it rendering the game natively under 1080p at Series S and choosing way lower settings from the PC version (let's say the big consoles will run at 'very high'/'ultra' while Series S at 'low' or 'mid' or something like that). So these games in the most powerful consoles won't be (in a >~90%) hold back by Series S.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Street Fighter is a series of fighting games created by Capcom from the original 1987 classic to Street Fighter 6. This video explores the History and Evolution of the Game Series, including the PlayStation / Nintendo versions and spin-off games Street Fighter X Tekken and Marvel crossover games. Street Fighter is one of the highest-grossing video game franchises of all time and is one of Capcom's flagship series with total sales of 47 million worldwide. In this video we detail each game including original box art and year of release. Which Street Fighter is your favorite? Let us know!

0:00 The Game Evolution
0:06 Street Fighter (1987) Arcade, Amiga, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, C64, ZX Spectrum, TurboGrafx-CD
0:35 Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991) Arcade, Amiga, Game Boy, SNES, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, C64, ZX Spectrum
1:04 Street Fighter II' Turbo: Hyper Fighting (1992) SNES, Arcade
1:33 Super Street Fighter II (1994) Arcade, SNES, SEGA Genesis, Amiga
2:02 Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams (1995) PS1, PS2, SEGA SATURN, ARCADE, PC
2:30 Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996) PS1, Sega Saturn, Arcade, SNES
2:59 X-Men vs. Street Fighter (1996) Arcade, PS1, Sega Saturn
3:28 Street Fighter EX (1996) Arcade
3:57 Street Fighter III: New Generation (1997) Dreamcast
4:27 Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter (1997) Arcade, PS1, Sega Saturn
4:55 Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (1997) PS1, Arcade
5:25 Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998) PS1, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Arcade, GBA
5:54 Street Fighter EX2 (1999) PS1, Arcade
6:23 Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike (1999) PS2, XBOX, Dreamcast, Arcade
6:52 Street Fighter EX3 (2000) PS2
7:21 Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival (2001) GBA
7:51 Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition (2003) PS2, XBOX, Arcade